• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • equivocation
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2021
    • Send PM

You don't draft a player just necause he plays a position but you need to take the value of the position and the value of the player to you team (scheme fit, marginal upgrade over existing roster, marginal upgrade over other players available, balanced over 5 years) into account.

If you get the right guy no one will care if it was at 13 or 20. If you get the wrong guy people will be hindsighting it forever.

Tackles are hard to get, and an oline is as good as the weakest link. Which is why they always climb draft boards.

I think Waddle is a good marginal upgrade over both MW and Johnson, a good fit, and good value. It's worth scaring teams out of cover 0, which Herbert struggled against. Darrisaw is also well worth the pick. I have no way to judge Farley's back but he also has great attributes and is a big marginal upgrade.

Those undersized LBs like JOK? Not so much.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
      You don't draft a player just necause he plays a position but you need to take the value of the position and the value of the player to you team (scheme fit, marginal upgrade over existing roster, marginal upgrade over other players available, balanced over 5 years) into account.

If you get the right guy no one will care if it was at 13 or 20. If you get the wrong guy people will be hindsighting it forever.

Tackles are hard to get, and an oline is as good as the weakest link. Which is why they always climb draft boards.

I think Waddle is a good marginal upgrade over both MW and Johnson, a good fit, and good value. It's worth scaring teams out of cover 0, which Herbert struggled against. Darrisaw is also well worth the pick. I have no way to judge Farley's back but he also has great attributes and is a big marginal upgrade.

Those undersized LBs like JOK? Not so much.
      Good post !

I remember exactly where I was when we drafted Fluker...

...on the Fly Machine at 24 Hour Fitness...

damn near tore my pec.
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Panamamike
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Good post !

damn near tore my pec.
        It's funny how everybody slags on Fluker as if he was a complete bust, but he still is still a starting offensive guard in the NFL and a complete road grader in the run game. Keep in mind most thought he would be moved to guard in the pros. It's also not like that first round was littered with NFL stars. I think they hit rate on that first round was about 10%, many never saw a second contract or are out of the league now.

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Wait... we're drafting a WR @#13 because we don't feel our yearly Pro-Bowl WR (Allen) and our #7 pick WR are enough...? If TT were so unsatisfied with MW, why would they offer the 5th-year for $15.7 million...?

BTW... Chiefs Super Bowl box score sans OT's...
          T. Hill 7/73/0
          S. Watkins 1/13/0
          D. Robinson 1/11/0
          M. Hardman 2/4/0
          B. Pringle 1/3/0

I ain't biting.

Comment

• equivocation
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2021
            • Send PM

But he wasn't a tackle. Like Slater and AVT won't be once NFL teams have NFL film studies on them.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

I like the part about trading for Sewell. I also agree there are potential suitors for the LT spot outside the first round so the answer doesn’t HAVE to come there. I would say that Chase over Sewell for the Bengals is a different situation than what the Chargers are looking at just because they have 2 starting quality OTs on the roster already. Would Sewell be an improvement over what they have? Absolutely. But our need of playmakers is not the same as the Bengals.

Really what I want to see is the top 3 QBs from last year all get reunited with a college teammate 3 picks in a row. Chase to Bengals at 5. Smith or Waddle to MIA at 6. We trade up to 7 and grab Penei for Herbert. People love reunions right?
              Cinderella story...

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                Draftnik
                • Oct 2020
                • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Good post !

damn near tore my pec.
                *sigh* I remember where I was when we drafted Larry English at #16 in 2009.
                I desperately wanted Michael Oher (still haven't seen the movie), who ended up going to the Ravens at #23.
                Oher was a rock for six years. English...different story.
                Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                  Draftnik
                  • Oct 2020
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

It's funny how everybody slags on Fluker as if he was a complete bust, but he still is still a starting offensive guard in the NFL and a complete road grader in the run game. Keep in mind most thought he would be moved to guard in the pros. It's also not like that first round was littered with NFL stars. I think they hit rate on that first round was about 10%, many never saw a second contract or are out of the league now.
                  A guard with 36 3/4" arms? Impossible!
                  Yet true.
                  Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

*sigh* I remember where I was when we drafted Larry English at #16 in 2009.
                    I desperately wanted Michael Oher (still haven't seen the movie), who ended up going to the Ravens at #23.
                    Oher was a rock for six years. English...different story.
                    Ughhh.
                    Northern Illinois.

Comment

• Panamamike
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                      But he wasn't a tackle. Like Slater and AVT won't be once NFL teams have NFL film studies on them.
                      Meh.... You find out after and then you move into the position he suited for. Experiment and adapt. Luke Joekel was drafted second overall (most people thought he'd be the first player off the board), failed as a can't miss offensive tackle, and fluker has been a better offensive guard.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/4/...s-2013-round-1

Hindsight is 20/20 but that's a complete s*** show of a first round. I would wager that that might be the weakest draft year in the last 20 years. you can't shine shit. Compare his career now vs the rest of that first round. The best player was drafted 27th.

Even Fischer the top pick has not had a steller consistent career. He struggled mightily his first 3 years in the league. Most of the rest of the top 10 never panned out at all and are out of the league
                      By the way I was here during that draft. It was insane the amount of people that wanted to trade up for pork chop Womack or Cooper as they were can't miss offensive guards that would start in the league for 10 years.... Neither one ever really had a career and Fluker ended up being a better player than both of them.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Greg Cosell no longer considers lack of arm length a deal breaker at OT. All this Wide Zone business leads to short armed athletic guys on the outside.

One of the Schwartzes says,
                        it's not that you need an all world OT,
                        but that you cannot be weak anywhere--defenses will attack that, as much as they will the EDGE per se.

This is gonna be interesting--damn near all of them have short arms.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                          Wait... we're drafting a WR @#13 because we don't feel our yearly Pro-Bowl WR (Allen) and our #7 pick WR are enough...? If TT were so unsatisfied with MW, why would they offer the 5th-year for $15.7 million...?

BTW... Chiefs Super Bowl box score sans OT's...
                          T. Hill 7/73/0
                          S. Watkins 1/13/0
                          D. Robinson 1/11/0
                          M. Hardman 2/4/0
                          B. Pringle 1/3/0

I ain't biting.
                          How about Leatherwood ?

His arms are 1/8th of an inch below your threshhold.

His cement shoes are almost DJ size.

Comment

Working...
                          X