Defense:

DE: Bosa, Tillery, Fehoko, Odeyingbo
    NT: Joseph, Jones
    OLB: Nwosu, Tryon, Vigil, Lemonier
    Jack: Murray, Kyzir
    Mike: Collins, Tranquil
    CB: Davis, Sutton, Harris, R.Williams, Campbell, Vaughn
    S: James, Jenkins, Adderly, Gilman
    Our RB's would be awful if thats what you got. Id be stunned if they brought back china doll Jackson. I do like him but he is never available. Verdell is a bad pick and not gonna be very good imo. Id be disapointed.
    So we have no size at RB. So many other better choices at RB there me thinks.

The OL is revamped which is good but looks weak at OT as we know Bulaga isnt going to stay healthy . He has played all 16 once since 2016 playing only 5 games in 2017.
    Gotta say, i think id rather re sign Tevi and just cut or trade Pipkins and we are better off because Pipkins is probably going to end up playing a lot with Bulaga being hurt. All Pip is at this point is cheap. Think we need a 4th OT at least.

Im sure there will be hundreds of these from now til April. Ill wait til FA'cy to try one. Just to difficult to predict who we will sign and i dont think we will sign very many. Maybe two guys, three if lower tier. Last season was the most we have signed since TT has been here and we signed 4, two the year before.
    Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-23-2021, 12:48 PM.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

I don't think the RB corps would be awful... I think the OL improvement itself would help that group out significantly. I think we end up passing the ball a lot more next year, too. And that includes dump-offs to the RB's. Herbert used to love hitting Verdell in the flat when with Oregon.

That 53rd roster spot could be a battle between Stormin Norman and the Q-berry.

The reason that we signed 4 FA's last off season was because we no longer had a veteran, high-money QB contract. I think I targeted 4 FA from other teams... 3 of them being mid-level salaries. And my 2 "expensive" FA signings (CL and HH) that play positions that don't command the big-dollar contracts. I'm not going after Trent Brown, Bud Dupree, or Leonard Floyd because these guys play positions that command $16+ million.

I'm also re-signing as many current roster players (that become FA's in 90+ days) at reasonable, low-cost contracts before they hit the free market.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
        I don't think the RB corps would be awful... I think the OL improvement itself would help that group out significantly. I think we end up passing the ball a lot more next year, too. And that includes dump-offs to the RB's. Herbert used to love hitting Verdell in the flat when with Oregon.

The reason that we signed 4 FA's last off season was because we no longer had a veteran, high-money QB contract. I think I targeted 4 FA from other teams... 3 of them being mid-level salaries. And my 2 "expensive" FA signings (CL and HH) that play positions that don't command the big-dollar contracts. I'm not going after Trent Brown, Bud Dupree, or Leonard Floyd because these guys play positions that command $16+ million.

I'm also re-signing as many current roster players (that become FA's in 90+ days) at reasonable, low-cost contracts before they hit the free market.
        Herberts WRs werent that great and he threw a ton of short passes at Oregon. I dont care if they were teammates, Herbert isnt doing the drafting.

Verdell isnt one on my radar at all. Yes he is a late pick but if we want a guy his size who is just a tad bigger id go Chuba Hubbard who is fast as hell but he doesnt have a lot power to break tackles. He does at times and he does it more more than Verdell.... who has pretty much no break tackle power and will have near zero in the NFL.
        Verdell reminds me of a poor mans LaMicheal James. Much poorer lol.

Cant count on Jackson and i doubt they bring him back. Between him and Ekeler being dinged, we would probably be playing Kelly a lot. Not a good group. I hope we go RB anywhere from round two to round 4. Need a little size for those short yardage situtations who can run that we didnt convert last season.

Doubt we draft Harris because he may go round one (Etienne as well) but id be jacked to get Javonte Williams,....and then Zamir White, Stevenson, Trey Sermon or Kennedy Brooks, Kylin Hill . And later rounds, Spencer Brown, Elijah Mitchell, Khalil Herbert.

After Harris, Williams is next on my list. Just think he is perfect for us. 220 lbs, good burst, balance, good hands, will run over some people. Im sure we wont run like Lynn wanted us to but we will run and Ekeler isnt a bell cow.

Yes a better OL will help for running room but it wont help for injuries. Green Bay has a nice rotation of Jones (208) Jamaal Williams (213) and Dillon (230) and they have a good OL. Williams was dinged a little and missed a couple games.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
          Draftnik
          • Oct 2020
          • Send PM

Have you taken a look at Jermar Jefferson outta Oregon State? He's sneaky powerful, but gets overlooked as a bruiser due to his height (5'10, 220).
          Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

Have you taken a look at Jermar Jefferson outta Oregon State? He's sneaky powerful, but gets overlooked as a bruiser due to his height (5'10, 220).
            I'm not necessarily looking for a bruiser... I think that's Boltjolt. BTW... yes Jefferson is good. Have you watched Trey Ragas? I think Joshua Kelly will be just fine once he's not getting hit 3 yards behind the LOS. Fix the damn OL and these guys all get better. I think spending an early round pick on a RB is waste of a pick unless you fix the OL first (see MG).

In building a 3-4 Staley-style defense, rounds 1-3 will probably be used on 3-4 OLB, 3-4 ILB, and CB. They're just bigger needs. With AL gone, we'll be more pass oriented. Not sure why we'd spend early on a RB. And I'm looking for RB's with more speed and pass catching abilities. Kenneth Gainwell, Zamir White... Sermon, Teague, Hill, Verdell, Roundtree, Kennedy Brooks, Max Borghi... Our offensive star is Justin Herbert. Protect him and put weapons around him. Having him hand the ball to a RB seems like a waste.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

I'm not necessarily looking for a bruiser... I think that's Boltjolt. BTW... yes Jefferson is good. Have you watched Trey Ragas? I think Joshua Kelly will be just fine once he's not getting hit 3 yards behind the LOS. Fix the damn OL and these guys all get better. I think spending an early round pick on a RB is waste of a pick unless you fix the OL first (see MG).

In building a 3-4 Staley-style defense, rounds 1-3 will probably be used on 3-4 OLB, 3-4 ILB, and CB. They're just bigger needs. With AL gone, we'll be more pass oriented. Not sure why we'd spend early on a RB. And I'm looking for RB's with more speed and pass catching abilities. Kenneth Gainwell, Zamir White... Sermon, Teague, Hill, Verdell, Roundtree, Kennedy Brooks, Max Borghi... Our offensive star is Justin Herbert. Protect him and put weapons around him. Having him hand the ball to a RB seems like a waste.
              Im not looking for a bruiser, just someone that can break some tackles and a better GL option. Gordon isnt a bruiser but he broke many tackles. Thats what im looking for and we dont have one of those. We have a bunch of 200 pounders. and injury prone RBs. Ballage for 230 had little power becuse he ran upright and Kelly is 212 but that dude is non elusive and didnt have the knack i like. But at least he wasnt injured often.

Have you watched Rhamondre Stevenson? He is 245 but that dude has some quicks and elusiveness.
              He would be great as well.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                Draftnik
                • Oct 2020
                • Send PM

Fix the damn OL and these guys all get better. I think spending an early round pick on a RB is waste of a pick unless you fix the OL first (see MG).
                Amen to that!

Jefferson looks like a late round guy -- late 6th or 7th.

In building a 3-4 Staley-style defense, rounds 1-3 will probably be used on 3-4 OLB, 3-4 ILB, and CB.
                How would you adjust your draft if we got Floyd in FA? Still take an EDGE with a high round pick? Seems like he and Nwosu would be dynamite together. But I like your idea of putting Zaven Collins in that Ebukan role. Can blast off the edge, but also good in coverage. I like Zaven a lot.

Only thing is that I see Nwosu as more than a mere depth piece. He's a 2nd round talent who still hasn't realized his potential. Mostly because of scheme and the fact that he's always played behind Ingram. Does he deserve an opportunity to start?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Well again, you are stuck on us running only a 3-4. He didn't say he was going to run that and he Did Say he isn't married to any one scheme. He has said that twice now in different interviews.

He took over Wade's 3-4 so he ran what the personnel dictated but this keeps getting lost on you.
                  I guess we will see but I'd think we will run multiple fronts.

And if you think we won't run the ball. You are delusional. The Rams ran the ball more than we did. Packers just a little less rush attempts with a QB who threw 48 TDs.
                  ​​​​​​
                  Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-23-2021, 06:15 PM.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

Amen to that!

Jefferson looks like a late round guy -- late 6th or 7th.

How would you adjust your draft if we got Floyd in FA? Still take an EDGE with a high round pick? Seems like he and Nwosu would be dynamite together. But I like your idea of putting Zaven Collins in that Ebukan role. Can blast off the edge, but also good in coverage. I like Zaven a lot.

Only thing is that I see Nwosu as more than a mere depth piece. He's a 2nd round talent who still hasn't realized his potential. Mostly because of scheme and the fact that he's always played behind Ingram. Does he deserve an opportunity to start?
                    I agree on Nwosu. I'd have him start at OLB. I'd draft Zaven to be MIKE. He's a 3 down player. He wouldn't come off the field in nickle and/or dime. I'd draft my other OLB (opposite Nwosu) in the 3rd. Could be Tyron (if there) or Hamilcar (if Tryon not there).

Nwosu OLB, Murray ILB, Zaven ILB, Tryon/Hamilcar OLB.
                    Floyd would cost $15 mil... the price of FA OC and FA OG. So you would lose one of those. It could be done... but you'd have to hit on your OG or OC draft pick.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                      Draftnik
                      • Oct 2020
                      • Send PM

I agree on Nwosu. I'd have him start at OLB. I'd draft Zaven to be MIKE. He's a 3 down player. He wouldn't come off the field in nickle and/or dime. I'd draft my other OLB (opposite Nwosu) in the 3rd. Could be Tyron (if there) or Hamilcar (if Tryon not there).

Nwosu OLB, Murray ILB, Zaven ILB, Tryon/Hamilcar OLB.
                      Floyd would cost $15 mil... the price of FA OC and FA OG. So you would lose one of those. It could be done... but you'd have to hit on your OG or OC draft pick.
                      Aw man, that’d be a sweet line up. But, personally, I’m not giving up on Tranquil. I like the kid’s game and he showed legit flashes last year. Don’t think he’ll be as good as Zaven, but Tranquil seems like a nice compliment to Murray’s game.

I was so bummed when Drue went down. Did you notice that you could audibly hear his leg snap because of the absence of crowd noise? Felt awful for the guy.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Well again, you are stuck on us running only a 3-4. He didn't say he was going to run that and he Did Say he isn't married to any one scheme. He has said that twice now in different interviews.

He took over Wade's 3-4 so he ran what the personnel dictated but this keeps getting lost on you.
                        I guess we will see but I'd think we will run multiple fronts.

And if you think we won't run the ball. You are delusional. The Rams ran the ball more than we did. Packers just a little less rush attempts with a QB who threw 48 TDs.
                        ​​​​​​
                        I'm not stuck on 3-4. If you noticed, I drafted Dayo Odeyingbo. He's big enough and strong enough to play 3-4 DE or 4-3 DE. He takes over Rochelle's roster spot. He could back up Bosa or play opposite him as another pass rusher. He's got a big frame he will add muscle to. Staley could play 3-4 and rush from 6 different positions... DE/DE/OLB/OLB/ILB/ILB. Disguise up the ying-yang. And you could switch to a 4-3 seemlessly with the same personnel. Or with one substitution you could add an extra DT and go 4-3. IMO, Zaven is big enough, nimble enough to play ILB/OLB/DE... he's your "Bandit" player. In fact, if you have Zaven and Nwosu on the field at the same time... you have 2 potential "Bandits". I'm not "stuck on" anything. I'm finding guys that are multi-faceted and allow for exactly what Staley would like to do... disguise and create pressure.

I do think we'll run the ball. And with an improved IOL, we'll run it very well. Rams ran a lot because they had up/down QB'ing most of the year. BTW... I'm planning on stealing one of those IOL (Blythe) that enabled Rams RB's to run so well. And stealing another IOL (Linsley) from the Packers who allowed their RB's to run so well. And for good measure, I'm stealing another IOL from the Seahawks (Pocic) who run the ball well... see UDFA Gus Edwards... 5th round Aaron Jones... UDFA Malcolm Brown...

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

I'm playing Woody's modern day defense!

Comment

Working...
                          X