• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Elijah Molden is my sleeper first rounder.
    https://www.uwdawgpound.com/2020/4/27/21238253/roundtable-who-will-be-the-next-husky-1st-round-pick-uw-washington-huskies-football

I expect all to be all-conference level performers at a bare minimum and if any takes a leap it could vault them to the 1st round. I just don’t see any of the 4 quite reaching 1st round status.

Molden is a very good player, but I suspect he’s probably going to be a 2nd-3rd round kind of guy as he lacks top-end speed and impressive size.

Molden’s measurables arent that elite corner look and since he’s used primarily at nickel that’s not typically what you see from those highly coveted guys.... I’d be shocked if Molden ends up first.

And after all of that debate Dane Brugler at The Athletic thinks we’re not giving enough credit to Elijah Molden and has him going in the 1st round of his way too early 2021 mock draft.
    sounds like they think my guys Letligasenoa and Cade Otton are more likely for 2022 rather than next year.... ??

5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I like your list... but I think the reduced cap space for next year won't allow for resigning/signing all of them.

I believe we may move on from Melvin Ingram. Nwosu proves to be good replacement value and Rochelle is RFA (3rd round tender). Maybe draft an EDGE player 2nd-4th round...?
      While Sam Tevi may prove to be decent re-sign value, I think that position needs an upgrade via the draft.
      Nick Vigil is a good addition to the list... as well as Nabers, Badgely, and Long (cheap re-signs).

I wonder if Trai Turners ($11.5 mil) contract is where we find extra money to pay guys like Davis and King,..?
      Perryman and Henry are on the bubble for me... very good players... have to be replaced via the draft, though. Tranquil's injury a consideration now.
      not sold on Nwosu for 16+ games, albeit likely that Mel's agents hold the key to his signability ??

and yeah, perhaps it'd be tough to turn down a third for Rochell, but love that guy's intangibles and think he holds up well as a backup.... who do you like in the draft there (not so excited by anyone, speaking for myself).

also like Sam as a Charger, and would like to see what he can do @RG, and yes.... an upgrade in the draft is a virtual must do there, as Sam also has swing tackle value.

and can't get my head 'round resigning Turner.... yes, in hindsight Tommy T. might not of gotten the best of that deal, but in my mind we got out from under a huge risk w/Okung's contract and health concerns, and good for him that he is playing.... there was little to no guarantee of that happening here, and.... Turner had a very avg season last year, despite the moniker adorned him of multiple years as a Pro Bowler.... he wants big monies, and our FO is not good at getting value in those situations.... pass, 'specially as there is no shortage of future perennial Pro Bowlers @guard in this draft.

don't see a real good TE prospect worth spending draft capital in this draft, albeit love me some Palaei Gaoteote IV @ILB, albeit have no interest in moving on from Denzel, albeit again we could use depth @MLB as don't see Drue as anything but a chronic injury concern, just as he was in college, and despite the high hopes for him here by many.... personally would keep him @WIL w/Murray and Vigil.
      5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Possible cap casualties...

Melvin Ingram: $16.625 mil
        Trai Turner: $11.5 mil
        Hunter Henry: $10.6 mil
        Casey Hayward: $8.75
        Denzel Perryman: $7.5 mil
        Tyrod Taylor: $7.5 mil
        Mike Pouncey: $7.25 mil

FA players that will get a substantial pay raise (5+ mil) this off-season...

CB Michael Davis
        CB Desmond King

FA players that will get a smaller pay raise (2-4 mil) this off-season...

OT Sam Tevi
        OG Forrest Lamp
        OC Dan Feeney
        S Rayshawn Jenkins
        CB Brandon Facyson (RFA 2nd)
        DE Isaac Rochell (RFA 3rd)

FA players that will get even smaller pay raise ($1 mil)... or remain the same...

TE Hunter Henry
        ILB Denzel Perryman
        OG Ryan Groy
        K Michael Badgely
        P Ty Long
        LB Nick Vigil

Comment

• beachcomber
          & ramblin' man
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

if we're still taking on water after the Raiders game, my chief order of biz is to get a draft pick for Feeney and move the one or the both of Qberry and Groy into the pivot....

ps. wood also take my Feeney and Rayshawn FA dollars saved and convert them into Danny Shelton and Matt Schaub.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
            if we're still taking on water after the Raiders game, my chief order of biz is to get a draft pick for Feeney and move the one or the both of Qberry and Groy into the pivot....

ps. wood also take my Feeney and Rayshawn FA dollars saved and convert them into Danny Shelton and Matt Schaub.
            Danny Shelton is signed through 2021 and Schaub is 39 years old.

I think Feeney is depth talent (OC/OG) along with Groy. Qberry doesn't seem to be in the Chargers' plans (although I think he'll be at OG today in Groy's absence). We'll see. I'd like an IOL draft pick.

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Possible cap casualties...

Melvin Ingram: $16.625 mil $11m/year for one year
              Trai Turner: $11.5 mil no thank you
              Hunter Henry: $10.6 mil $10m/year for two years
              Casey Hayward: $8.75 $8m/year for two years
              Denzel Perryman: $7.5 mil $6m/year for two years
              Tyrod Taylor: $7.5 mil thank you Tyrod
              Mike Pouncey: $7.25 mil no mas Miguel por favor

FA players that will get a substantial pay raise (5+ mil) this off-season...

CB Michael Davis $6m/year for four years
              CB Desmond King $6m/year for two years

FA players that will get a smaller pay raise (2-4 mil) this off-season...

OT Sam Tevi $2m/year for two years
              OG Forrest Lamp $4m/year for three years
              OC Dan Feeney trade pls
              S Rayshawn Jenkins thank you Mr. Jenkins
              CB Brandon Facyson (RFA 2nd) $2m/year for two years
              DE Isaac Rochell (RFA 3rd) $2m/year for two years

FA players that will get even smaller pay raise ($1 mil)... or remain the same...

TE Hunter Henry
              ILB Denzel Perryman
              OG Ryan Groy $1m/year for one year
              K Michael Badgely $1m/year for two years
              P Ty Long $1.5m/year for three years
              LB Nick Vigil $1.5m/year for two years
              we need to walk away from players that deem themselves worth more than what our FO deems as their market value.

this was AJ's strengh, as if you didn't want to play for what he deemed you were worth dollars wise, then he moved on from you.

do think this FO overpays (see MG3 and others), and needs to reel themselves in a bit/be a little less sentimental in player dealings, perhaps letting Ed McGuire be a little more instrumental in things when negotiating contracts, as just don't see Telesco or young John holding up so well in the face of some of the more steeled and grizzled NFL player agents ??

and offering the both of Henry and Perryman a little less money, albeit giving them two years despite their injury concerns/histories.

hopefully Melvin will appreciate the reduced salary cap, his injury history/concerns, and welcome the chance at hopefully having a full preseason next year and a full bill of health for a full season, to improve his market value.... one year Mr. Charger, and we'll take it from there.

in my eyes, guys like SupaMel, Hayward, Denzel and King are much too valuable to just send them on their way w/nothing to anchor their position in their stead.... Nwosu, a possible draft pick @CB, Dru and an injured Harris, are not the players eye want to be counting on in their absence.... if and when we draft their replacements or develop someone who obviously can well fill their shoes, then would perhaps give more consideration to moving on from then.... 'til then, one in the hand is better than a coupla few in the bush.

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Extending Casey Hayward for an additional year (saving cap through re-structure) is not a bad idea!
                I don't think MI (or his agent) would sign a 1-yr/$11 mil deal. Probably a 3 yr/$42 mil is more likely.
                Perryman is having his best year... doubt he takes a pay decrease.
                Tevi (warranted or not) will get more than $2 mil/year. He has RT and LT starting experience.
                AL said that Feeney was the long-term plan @center. He also said Tyrod was his starter... can't trade Feeney (FA next year).
                Rayshawn keeps improving. Insurance for Derwin (injury).
                Groy (warranted or not) will probably get 2-3 mil/year. Again, starter experience.

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Extending Casey Hayward for an additional year (saving cap through re-structure) is not a bad idea!
                  I don't think MI (or his agent) would sign a 1-yr/$11 mil deal. Probably a 3 yr/$42 mil is more likely.
                  Perryman is having his best year... doubt he takes a pay decrease.
                  Tevi (warranted or not) will get more than $2 mil/year. He has RT and LT starting experience.
                  AL said that Feeney was the long-term plan @center. He also said Tyrod was his starter... can't trade Feeney (FA next year).
                  Rayshawn keeps improving. Insurance for Derwin (injury).
                  Groy (warranted or not) will probably get 2-3 mil/year. Again, starter experience.
                  def wouldn't pay Mel for three years.... a one year deal makes it a contract year, and more likely to get value/your monies worth from said contract.
                  Denzel has played limited snaps and is a designated backup, and for which $6m is good monies.
                  Tevi is another guy who is pretty much a backup, and for all eye know, is doing better due to Herbert being a tough get back there.
                  and AL has said alot of things, and.... just don't see Feeney as a center, nor a Charger.
                  keeping Rayshawn makes senses, save for.... really like Nasirildeen in the draft, albeit we still have room for him on the roster, even if we retain Rayshawn.
                  and Groy was given a near token spot on the ps, so would be surprised if got paid as such, despite him starting, and however poorly as documented my Ninja's smear campaign....

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

more than a coupla few complaints about gripes, complaints and the whatnots, and figured I’d take a step back and look at things based on what my expectations were to start the season, and ‘til now ??

Pleasant surprises, or close enough….

QB Justin Herbert * woulda liked Eli as a Charger, but no one is calling this guy Justine…. 300/game, just hope he gets a few wins under his belt before it starts to affect him…. luckily he is in the company of some greats who also started out their NFL careers on (substantially) losing notes.

WR Jaylen Guyton * liked the guy coming into camp, but after our blocking WR (chit) show at wideout last season w/Andre Patton, wasn’t expecting much here, and am even more a KJ Hill proponent than Guyton, and guy has showed pretty darn well, all things considered.

OL Forrest Lamp/Sam Tevi * can’t say eye was counting on the either of these two, and not sure they are exactly 10 year starter material either, but think the consensus on these two is that they’ve exceeded expectations, and have provided decent protection and running options for our offensive backfield.

CB Mike Davis * dude has got us a pick six, hasn’t been the weak link in our CB duo, and has the size and speed to match up w/some of the bigger opposing receivers…. much needed help for the boundary.

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

coupla few other sidebars here, as am willing to give Telesco heaps of cred/it for the drafting of Herbert, albeit we have quite a few oversights half littering the roster that have his name stamped on them…. my question is how much does he defer to young Spanos and his head coach ?? personally think I prefer more of a maverick/talent evaluator type of GM, rather than a roundtabler who is all inclusive, and wondering for if and when the other shoe is gonna drop/fall at his feet, as the General Manager ??

QB Tyrod Taylor * gonna put this one mostly on AL’s plate, albeit team Tommy John does have responsibility for the roster, and wondering if Taylor was a little bit financially motivated or mostly personnel related ?? def not a fan of jettisoning Rivers, and wanted to get him an Oline. Herbert has blown up, and in a (very) good way, and we had monies to put toward Joey ‘n Keenan. didn’t like the $7m for a backup QB, and didn’t like the idea of replacing Rivers w/what eye saw as a pretty darn risky sixth overall pick, and…. for the record, Cam (nor Mariota for that matter) hasn’t really worked out either.

RB Joshua Kelly * was a bit behind selecting Kelly if D’Andre Swift didn’t fall to us in round two, and based on his UCLA game tape and his first game, really thought/think we have something in this guy, but to date he’s pretty darn underwhelming…. top shelf intangibles, and what eye thought were some next level shiftiness, and while still capable of getting tough yards as well…. not sure Lynn hasn’t coached him down ??

WR KJ Hill * sure seems like Stitch gave him his chance, and he sure (literally) fumbled his chance today, as seem to recall he was known for never dropping passes over 20 yards ?? he had a coupla drops his first game and doesn’t seem to have ever recovered ?? a seemingly great p/u as a seventh rounder, and…. def had some high expectations for this guy coming into the season.

TE Hunter Henry * dude ebbs and flows between a valuable asset and a mostly avg TE…. seems like he would/should have great chemistry w/JH10…. is he slow/just not as great as many make him out to be here, or is he playing hurt ?? is it the scheme…. dunno, other than was hoping for a bit more outta Henry.

OG Trai Turner * thought the Turner trade was a great move by team Tommy John, altho ‘twas prolly instigated/initiated by Okung and our exOline coach in Carolina, and still…. thought it was good to relieve ourselves of the injury risk presented by retaining Okung, not to mention his hellah high salary, and…. unfortunately hasn’t yielded any much in the way of dividends, and…. is distinctly familiar to our past FA moves on the Oline.

OT Bryan Bulaga * in theory a helpful move, save for it is too eerily reminiscent of guys like Okung and others which have turned into injury prone vets, that are prolly closer to over the hill than not, which is squarely a FO conundrum…. they have to do better, and as there was obviously a reason that a well run Green Bay org moved on from him, and yeah…. you might get some good games/run outta the guy, but overall and in the longrun, the odds are just not in your favor of money well spent in terms of durability.

OC Mike Pouncey * even if this was an AL inspired retainment, TT has no excuse in this matter, as yes again…. woulda, coulda, shoulda been nice if things worked out w/getting another year outta Pouncey, but truth of the matter is that he was already a questionable signing right outta the gate from Miami, as he had major injury concerns, and we were lucky to get the season/games outta him that we did…. this one is squarely on the FO, for what seems like almost lazy personnel decision making, not to mention this position along w/other on the Oline have been regularly passed over for "sexier" players, i.e. 3T, WR and WLB, or missing on the wrong OT, and/or trading up for another ineffective player/LB.

OT Trey Pipkins * will always acknowledge that GMing ain’t easy, and…. it’s your job, so you’ve got to hit on things more than you miss, and…. seems like Pips had some momentum going a time or two, and we do have Campen atm, and…. our line is suffering having to start him, plain and simple.

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

beachcomber, how about RB Kalen Ballage today? Bio says he's Ron Meeks son. Between the tackles kind of runner I like.

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

NT Damion Square * very likeable guy, versatile and can play most any position on the line, and…. sorta the poster child for what I don’t like about AL’s personnel leanings, and perhaps covering up his discomfort in dealing w/players sometimes, as he has made it clear that his style is to coach via the vets and have them pass things down to the younger players…. first Mebane and now Square have been retained past their expiration date, and again, it hurts the team/roster, and no matter how much on Lynn this might be, ‘tis still the responsibility of the GM and Director of Football Operations to assemble the roster in the best interests of the team and org.

3T Jerry Tillery * these picks bug me, just like MG3, Manti Te’o, Tranquill, Easton Stick, Nwosu, MW, and even Derwin, and as am just not sure they were the best picks, and may be more by committee or seen as popular/safer picks, and when in fact someone in our org has to have eyes for talent, and go against the grain sometimes, as Jerry was just plain and simple not worth a first round pick, and not unlike DJ Fluker either, and…. of course, not everyone gets ‘em right, and def not all the time, and…. just not sold that our FO has a solid foundation in terms of what makes up/for a winning org ??

DE Joey Bosa * dude has all the talent in the world, and has been hurt…. you can give our FO a mulligan here, and…. is $68m guaranteed gonna be a sound investment ?? our FO has def overpaid and sometimes repeatedly, and as not sure they exactly have nerves of steel when it comes to negotiating contracts ??

LEO/SAM Uchenna Nwosu * was most certain @the time, and don’t think I’ve been swayed since, that we had no biz in investing a second rounder in this guy, and after awhile overdrafting starts to erode your roster of talent, and would say this guy is a case in point, along w/MW and Tillery, and possibly even Murray ??

MLB Denzel Perryman * was pretty darn fired up when we drafted this guy, and…. dude has been injured just as oft as he has seen the field, which isn’t a good combo for the hoped for linchpin of your D, hench his replacement, and so yes…. am disappointed in not only that Denzel hasn’t been available, but that he doesn’t seem to be in favor of our coaches now that he is seemingly in good health.

WLB Drue Tranquill * was pretty peeved @this pick, and not just coz he’s yet another Golden Domer, but that we passed on Stidham for him, along w/a seemingly talented and good value CB in Amani Oruwariye, and…. just a very risky pick given his rather serious and near incessant injury history.

SCB Chris Harris * def don’t have the facts/inside story, but don’t like the sense eye get from the way the DK situation was handled, and oft wonder what really was behind the late season disciplinary actions that AL took @the end of last season ?? Harris was obviously brought into spell King, he hasn’t seen the field much, and from what I can gather, he wasn’t up to preseason expectations when he did hit the turf ??

SS Derwin James * so much to like/love ‘bout this guy, and…. this is the kinda guy/pick that can make or break you as a top flight GM…. wasn’t popular, but did volunteer that thought that we maybe coulda, woulda, shoulda given consideration to the drafting of OL Isaiah Wynn instead of James ?? not a popular sentiment in most corners, and…. is it best to build your team/roster from the inside/out, or…. not ??

FS Nasir Adderley * am first to admit that was @the front o’ the line for drafting this guy, as woulda prolly been ok w/taking him even in the first, and…. there is def the question as to whether he is even gonna crack it the NFL, as he has teased w/some plays, but for the most part, @least speaking for myself, he is late to the action more oft than not…. hopefully it’s just a rook season thing, but def had higher expectations for this guy than for what we’ve seen to date.

Comment

Working...
                          X