• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolts4ever213
    Day One...
    • Mar 2019
    • Brentwood, 94513
    • Send PM

I wouldn’t be mad with a right tackle in the first. If not only for the chance to get bookends for the next few years. If the guys measures and passes the interviews, I don’t see why he wouldn’t be able to learn where to place his hands. To me, when you get put on your butt a few times, that in turns, means he should be open to coaching.

For me, it’s top grade beef that you can coach up to play. Coaching top grade is better than coaching players off the streets.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Anybody at 17 needs to be plug and play. Did we learn nothing from Tillery?

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

2019 Pick #28 Tillery was a 1gap penetrator DT. He's not a top player, nor terrible, just hasn't lived up to expectations.
        I agree that TT should find a player at 17 that improves the team in 2022.
        Working with Staley on scheme fit should help.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Yes but if you think about it many IDL aren't plug and play and ones that do play right away aren't that impactful from the start.
          Of course there are exceptions ( I don't see Jordon Davis as one)but this is why I'd prefer to sign some younger IDL than draft them with 17.

Tillery has got better but not where we would like him to be.

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

More than ever.
            P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
            P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
            P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
            P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

2019 Pick #28 Tillery was a 1gap penetrator DT. He's not a top player, nor terrible, just hasn't lived up to expectations.
              I agree that TT should find a player at 17 that improves the team in 2022.
              Working with Staley on scheme fit should help.
              Yep. Hopefully the Staley Brain Trust puts the kabosh to some of TT's ill-advised, impulsive draft moves...

Comment

• Parcells
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

The overall impression I have of Staley is that he is much more active in personel selection compared to Anthony Lynn. This team was never a year away from fixing everything a year ago, but with regards to our team, I can’t remember an offseason under Telesco where we added so many guys that made a legit positive impact. I count Linsley, Feiler, Aboushi (who was playing great until his injury), Slater and ASJ. Then Palmer showed a lot of positive flashes.

I’m hoping that if we have another offseason like that, that we will perhaps be still playing a year or two from now.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post
                  The overall impression I have of Staley is that he is much more active in personel selection compared to Anthony Lynn. This team was never a year away from fixing everything a year ago, but with regards to our team, I can’t remember an offseason under Telesco where we added so many guys that made a legit positive impact. I count Linsley, Feiler, Aboushi (who was playing great until his injury), Slater and ASJ. Then Palmer showed a lot of positive flashes.

I’m hoping that if we have another offseason like that, that we will perhaps be still playing a year or two from now.
                  I think it has more to do with Telesco being on the hot seat and Staley is his last hurrah. Get it right or he is canned. Which means more active in FA'cy without going wild.......which i dont want us to do but with the cap soace, get holes filled with players that can contribute big right away.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I think it has more to do with Telesco being on the hot seat and Staley is his last hurrah. Get it right or he is canned. Which means more active in FA'cy without going wild.......which i dont want us to do but with the cap soace, get holes filled with players that can contribute big right away.
                    TT misjudged the defensive side significantly. Year before the team couldn’t score well, so opponents did not have to go for points as much to win. I don’t think the defense was better in 2020, they were just not pressed as much. he let a few guys walk betting on the younger guys but the up and comers did not up or come. Gotta focus on D! His FA adds were a a bunch of budget signs that added up to a big meh.

He’s not making that mistake this year, the pressers by both him and Staley as clear a coach-speak as you will ever hear - they want better players for the D. LAC doesn’t need Top 5 defense to win with Herbie - Cincy doesn’t have Top 5. They just need ~top 15 or so?
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

TT misjudged the defensive side significantly. Year before the team couldn’t score well, so opponents did not have to go for points as much to win. I don’t think the defense was better in 2020, they were just not pressed as much. he let a few guys walk betting on the younger guys but the up and comers did not up or come. Gotta focus on D! His FA adds were a a bunch of budget signs that added up to a big meh.

He’s not making that mistake this year, the pressers by both him and Staley as clear a coach-speak as you will ever hear - they want better players for the D. LAC doesn’t need Top 5 defense to win with Herbie - Cincy doesn’t have Top 5. They just need ~top 15 or so?
                      not sure why people want to blame the defensive failure all on TT. Staley wasn’t hired in August. He was hired in January which is plenty of time to evaluate the roster prior to FA and the draft.

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

I'm way past slapping "Kick Me" signs on anyone's back. This is our best roster in years. We beat the AFC Champs. Herbert set a lot of records.
                        TT & Staley are getting their 1st post Chargers season together with decent cap room.
                        I know what I think they should do in FA & the draft but won't pitch a hissy if they make different choices.
                        It's all about the Ws. Show me Chargers!

Comment

• gzubeck
                          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Tucson, AZ
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

not sure why people want to blame the defensive failure all on TT. Staley wasn’t hired in August. He was hired in January which is plenty of time to evaluate the roster prior to FA and the draft.
                          Still question marks on the team all the way until we started season. That goes for both Staley and Telesco. Who would have thunk Bulaga was going to flame out again. There were just too many question marks with our defensive personnel going into the season. If staley thought we had better he really knows where to improve for next season NOW after the past season. Just too many young inexperienced players on the defensive side of the ball to overcome this past season IMHO.

opcorn:
                          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                          X