Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
    An average LT with this Oline is enough
    A TE on the left if necessary
    2021 is more promising than 2020
    We don’t have an average LT. I don’t believe TT’s statements on Pipkins, but even if he thinks he’s growing, he has to know they can’t bet the season on Pipkin emerging as a good starting LT. Having to compensate for a bad LT by lining up a blocking TE to cover him on every play is also a bad plan. That removes a potential weapon to double up on one assignment that should be accomplished by one player.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Staley said by July.
      Draft is in April.
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• PR#1
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

Brown is now a chief and they got him cheap....... plus a second rounder this year..... rich get richer.....
        Good deal for them. They got their guy and gave up late round picks.

I see this more and more in the league. Teams trading away low round picks that may never pan out anyways for proven players

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2021
          • Send PM

Was big proponent for Chargers doing something similar to knock out need @ LT with sure thing, but when it was disclosed how much he was asking Ravens for extension (neighborhood of 25 million per) I quickly changed my tune. KC will just kick the can down the road, all in on Super Bowl return, but Chargers just not in that position yet. So yes, it is the rich getting richer, just makes it that much sweeter to beat they’re high paid payroll in a market that I know for a fact is tapped out. Chargers market, LA combined with possible new ownership (Bezos) down road will have no problem duplicating this business plan. Let’s just focus on building that foundation now for that future.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

We don’t have an average LT. I don’t believe TT’s statements on Pipkins, but even if he thinks he’s growing, he has to know they can’t bet the season on Pipkin emerging as a good starting LT. Having to compensate for a bad LT by lining up a blocking TE to cover him on every play is also a bad plan. That removes a potential weapon to double up on one assignment that should be accomplished by one player.
            Exactly. We don't even have an average OL yet. You're only as strong as your weakest link... and right now, that is Trey Pipkins (54.8). Using TE's and RB's to do an OT's job is a waste of a player that could be in the pattern... stretching the defense. Hard to sustain drives when you're playing 10 v 11.

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
              Was big proponent for Chargers doing something similar to knock out need @ LT with sure thing, but when it was disclosed how much he was asking Ravens for extension (neighborhood of 25 million per) I quickly changed my tune. KC will just kick the can down the road, all in on Super Bowl return, but Chargers just not in that position yet. So yes, it is the rich getting richer, just makes it that much sweeter to beat they’re high paid payroll in a market that I know for a fact is tapped out. Chargers market, LA combined with possible new ownership (Bezos) down road will have no problem duplicating this business plan. Let’s just focus on building that foundation now for that future.
              IMO, Brown is a 1-year rental. They looked at their failure in the Super Bowl, looked at their OT roster spot, looked at #31 draft slot... and realized there was no long-term solution. With this trade, everyone gets what they want. KC gets a 1-year LT. Brown gets to showcase his ability @LT. And the Ravens get a couple draft picks for a guy they were going to lose anyways.

Now seems like a good time to re-visit the questions... Can Orlando Brown Jr. play left tackle in the NFL...? Was he a 1st round talent...?

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

IMO, Brown is a 1-year rental. They looked at their failure in the Super Bowl, looked at their OT roster spot, looked at #31 draft slot... and realized there was no long-term solution. With this trade, everyone gets what they want. KC gets a 1-year LT. Brown gets to showcase his ability @LT. And the Ravens get a couple draft picks for a guy they were going to lose anyways.

Now seems like a good time to re-visit the questions... Can Orlando Brown Jr. play left tackle in the NFL...? Was he a 1st round talent...?
                Fair.

every team missed on him in the draft, 3rd rd. was steal, guess stealing roles now reversed.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Fair.

every team missed on him in the draft, 3rd rd. was steal, guess stealing roles now reversed.
                  I had Brown as a 1st round prospect... even after everybody lost their shit over his 40-time and bench press. His length is his best asset... but also very balanced. Someone with cap room will have themselves a nice LT in 2022.

Comment

• madcaplaughs
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Mock 38A.JPG
                    Mock 38B.JPG
                    Traded down twice

New corners - Samuel, Robinson, speed and coverage ability

Offensive line - Jenkins and Hudson. Both would likely be better at RT, but either would likely be better than Pipkins, and certainly better than Tevi. I really like Jenkins. I wouldn't have a problem picking him at 13. Hudson would be a great developmental depth tackle for if/when Bulaga is injured.

TE - Tremble, a man amongst men. Him and Jenkins next to each other on a 3rd and 2 would be magic. Tremble was also great lined up at FB

D-Line, Bosa and Basham at the ends, At DT you have Twyman and Williams to compete with Joseph, Tillery, etc.

Rush LB/Edge - Already have Fackerll and Murray, Bosa, Add Smith and Golston there. So, on passing downs, we could have Bosa, Tillery, Basham, Fackerll, Smith and Murray playing at one time. Which 4 are going to Rush? That would be a nice problem to have, and a nice problem for opposing offences to ruminate on.

Khalil Herbert - Speed and moves. A great RB to add to depth and push who we have

Stevens - Depth Safety to add to James/Adderly

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I had Brown as a 1st round prospect... even after everybody lost their shit over his 40-time and bench press. His length is his best asset... but also very balanced. Someone with cap room will have themselves a nice LT in 2022.
                      best attribute is his pedigree Zeus

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                        Pretty much retired......
                        • Sep 2018
                        • JoJa
                        • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                        • Send PM

From Chad Reuter's 7 round mock at NFL.com. We pass on OT2 (Slater or Darrisaw) to take Smith. I would be very pissed come Thursday if so.

Pick

Los Angeles Chargers

DeVonta SmithTrey Pipkins (or a rookie picked later) can get the job done. Smith has the strong hands, body control, intelligence and quickness to excel in the slot in 2021 while Keenan Allen and Mike Williams work outside. Then, if Williams leaves as a free agent after the season, Smith can move outside if necessary.

Comment

• gzubeck
                          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Tucson, AZ
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
                          From Chad Reuter's 7 round mock at NFL.com. We pass on OT2 (Slater or Darrisaw) to take Smith. I would be very pissed come Thursday if so.

Pick

Los Angeles Chargers

DeVonta SmithTrey Pipkins (or a rookie picked later) can get the job done. Smith has the strong hands, body control, intelligence and quickness to excel in the slot in 2021 while Keenan Allen and Mike Williams work outside. Then, if Williams leaves as a free agent after the season, Smith can move outside if necessary.
                          I wouldn't if they thought they could add 10 lbs. to his frame over the next two years. I think everyone is visualizing him getting beat up by 245 lb linebackers.

:beer:
                          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                          X