X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Any idea of who could step in as OC and run it?
    internal maybe?
    IMO, Shane Day would be a solid candidate.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Well, stupid posts from you certainly are not changing.

Johnson was a key factor in the loss to the Raiders just as I said. He was the player that forced Roberts to fumble, which was an important play in the game. Feel free to disagree. I am comfortable with where I am on that issue.

Further, while the stupid decision to cut Johnson is old news from which our team will have to recover, your analytical approach is just wrong. It is completely irrelevant what Johnson did or does as a WR for other teams. It always was.

What matters is his ability to play well for us when playing with Herbert, something he more than demonstrated in 2020. Our very deep (explosive) passing game did take a step back this year as I said it would without Johnson. What Johnson was for us in 2020 was 20 receptions for 398 yards (19.9 yards per reception) and 3 TDs on just 26 targets.

For those failing to grasp the significance of that level of statistical production, the QB rating when we targeted Johnson in 2020 was 156.7, which was the single highest rating for any QB throwing to any receiver regardless of position (WR, TE, RB) in the entire NFL in that season. I would say that pretty damn well proves how good Johnson could be when working with Herbert.

If you wish to claim that there was no meaningful functional rhythm developed between Herbert and Johnson in the face of that combination being the most efficient together in the entire NFL, you go right ahead. Again, I am very comfortable with my very well supported position on this issue.

I think the act of you referring to me by the username of an apparent former poster and taking weak and unsupportable positions just to act as a troll says a lot more about you than it does me, so, by all means, you carry on....
      Enough with the personal attacks. That includes anyone.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

Enough with the personal attacks. That includes anyone.
        Yup, it's the off-season, we turn on each other this time of year. It's always been this way and it always will. Almost like people think the front office hears them. Well fyi when Tom Telsco needs a belly laugh or a knee slapper if reads this shit! Y'all Frances's need to lighten up!
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

this draft will fall to the chargers just as good as it has the last two years in terms of value. maybe I misunderstood your post but are you implying no one worth the 17th at position of need will be available at 17th slot? I think there are going to be 5-7 players worth tha spot when the chargers draft and they might have choice of one or two types of positions. At this point we don’t even know enough in terms of who has a bad combine, who whatever, how can we assume there won’t be any worthwhile at 17? The QBs as usual will rise late pushing talented players further down which is a huge boon for teams like the Chargers. In addition to that the chargers have needs at positions that are traditionally easier fill with quality players because the most challenging positions are set (QB/LT), we are good at Edge, the big needs are CB, DT, and then RT and the reason why I rank RT third is because I believe we already have our RT on the roster in Matt Feiler. Resign Oday to play RG, bring back Scho as reserve, and sign a solid veteran LG, then RT becomes a mid to late round depth developmental deal. For depth we have an improved pipkins for another year and 4rth tackle can be drafted in rounds 3-5 or if a good one is available in round 2. Corner is the biggest draft need with DT being easier to fill in FA, then add depth as needed.
          I agree that much of the story is still to be told with the combine and free agency yet to take place. I also agree that QBs being pushed up the board helps us.

Still, I really do not think the leading candidates are as well defined this year as they have been in other years. The CBs are not as good as Horn and Surtain were last year. No OT like Slater is going to be there at #17. The highest rated DL players do not seem like they carry value at #17 overall. IMO, those are the leading positions of need.

It would be fair to say that I "like" some players, but so far I really do not "love" anyone as a great player for us that should be there at #17.

Comment

• Berserker76
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

internal maybe?
            Anyone really think they're moving on from Lombardi? Not being a dick, just haven't heard anything to the contrary.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2020
              • Oklahoma
              • Send PM

I agree that much of the story is still to be told with the combine and free agency yet to take place. I also agree that QBs being pushed up the board helps us.

Still, I really do not think the leading candidates are as well defined this year as they have been in other years. The CBs are not as good as Horn and Surtain were last year. No OT like Slater is going to be there at #17. The highest rated DL players do not seem like they carry value at #17 overall. IMO, those are the leading positions of need.

It would be fair to say that I "like" some players, but so far I really do not "love" anyone as a great player for us that should be there at #17.
              Agreed, would love to trade down and draft 3 starters in the top 55 assuming someone we love does not fall to 17.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

internal maybe?
                Norv knows how to use a big arm…
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post

Agreed, would love to trade down and draft 3 starters in the top 55 assuming someone we love does not fall to 17.
                  As of now, that is exactly what I hope we will do, though the chart suggests that our extra #2 from a hypothetical trading partner (which may or may not exist in reality) may slot closer to #60 unless we kick a later round pick back as part of the deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post

Anyone really think they're moving on from Lombardi? Not being a dick, just haven't heard anything to the contrary.
                    They will not fire him, but it is being reported that he and Hines Ward interviewed for HOU's HC position.

Comment

• Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Norv knows how to use a big arm…
                      Well, the only worse play caller I could think of would be Anthony Lynn.

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

IMO, Shane Day would be a solid candidate.
                        The logical in-house candidate, for sure.
                        but it would be a rushed promotion imo and he would be learning on the job with an even steeper learning curve than Lombardi.
                        my point is that however unsatisfied we may be with Lombardi, it would likely be worse if we (had to) replace him at this point in Herbert's development.

I hope we get the most out of Lombardi and give Day a chance to truly immerse himself in the offense before he is promoted

In 2024
                        G-Ro knows.

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

14.0 1.png
                          14.0 2.png

Quick 6-Rounder. IMO, this is not the year to be hunting QBs or RBs, this from a guy on his couch in L.A., who watches tape.

Pierre Strong Jr. :44. Kid has hands for executing a RPO post-concept at a very high-level. He's also got a goal-line jump-pass that is stellar.

Comment

Working...
                          X