• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Brugler’s Tuesday practice observations:

MOBILE, Ala. — On Monday, I tweeted my top five ranked Senior Bowl prospects entering the week, which were led by a pair of offensive tackles: Northern Iowa’s Trevor Penning and Central Michigan’s Bernhard Raimann.

However, it was Florida State pass rusher Jermaine Johnson, the No. 3 player on my list, who looked like the best NFL Draft prospect here based on Tuesday’s practice.

During 1-on-1’s and team drills at the American practice (led by the Detroit Lions’ coaching staff), Johnson was a nightmare to block due to his power, length and relentless play demeanor. At 6-4 3/8 and 259 pounds with 34 3/8-inch arms, he is physically impressive but also showed nuance and diversity to his rush attack. He played behind his punch and allowed his length to work for him, leveraging contact and creating movement. Johnson also flashed his long arm move and an effective spin move.

At the end of practice, Detroit Lions assistant coach Duce Staley picked Johnson and Kentucky offensive lineman Darian Kinnard to face off in a 1-on-1 battle. Kinnard reset quickly and won the final rep, but Johnson showed off his power and length on the first rep.

Lost on the Georgia depth chart in 2020, Johnson bet on himself and transferred to Florida State, where he was an immediate alpha on the Seminoles’ defense. He led the ACC in tackles for loss (18.0) and sacks (12.0) and put himself in the first-round discussion.

Johnson has continued that momentum in Mobile and has shown that he isn’t yet done climbing.
    Other notes from Tuesday’s practice

The most impressive player from the National practice (led by the New York Jets’ coaching staff) on Tuesday was Connecticut DT Travis Jones (6-4, 326, 34-inch arms). When you think of powerful two-gappers who can dominate vs. the run in this draft class, Georgia’s Jordan Davis, who isn’t here, is the top dog. But for teams who would rather target a nose tackle outside the first round, Jones will be a popular prospect. During drills, he showed off his developed strength to anchor the point-of-attack and also flashed as a pass rusher, pouncing out of his stance and bullying his way through contact. UConn has a few players with a chance to be drafted in April, and Jones could hear his name early.

Another nose tackle who gave blockers a tough time with was Arkansas DT John Ridgeway (6-5, 327, 33 5/8-inch arms). He generated consistent push and reset the line of scrimmage throughout practice. There are only so many players in this draft with the size and ability of Jones and Ridgeway, which was evident in practice and will show on draft weekend.

One of the few blockers who matched up with Jones was Boston College iOL Zion Johnson (6-2 3/4, 314, 33 7/8-inch arms), who saw reps at left guard and center. With very little experience snapping, there were a few negative reps as he adjusts to the new position. But Johnson was dominant in 1-on-1’s at guard, his natural home. He was able to match Jones’ strength and showed why he is in the first-round discussion. Chattanooga iOL Cole Strange (6-4 3/8, 304, 33 1/8-inch arms) also repped at center and had a strong first practice to the week.

Aside from Jermaine Johnson, the pass rusher who flashed the most for me was Miami (Ohio) edge Dominique Robinson (6-4 5/8, 254, 33 3/8-inch arms). A former high school quarterback and college wide receiver, he made the transition to defense in 2020 and is just scratching the surface of his ability. During practice, Robinson showed burst off the ball and challenged the corner regardless of who he faced. On his reps, you saw bend, body control and all the different ways he can maneuver around blockers due to his athletic twitch. With a strong finish to the week, Robinson will receive much more top-100 love from around the league.

Who is ready for the TE1 discussion? Ohio State TE Jeremy Ruckert (6-5, 250, 32 3/4-inch arms) is ready to stake his claim to the top spot during the draft process, and he got off to a great start in Tuesday’s practice. The Long Island native looked smooth uncovering in his routes to give the quarterback a clear target. And he showed off his dependable ball skills, including a play when he pulled a Carson Strong pass off his shoe tops and finished the catch. The “better pro than college player” narrative is going to be a common theme when talking about Ruckert, who has the talent to be a top-50 draft pick.

It can be tough for running backs to shine in a setting like this, but Florida RB Dameon Pierce (5-9, 220, 30 3/4-inch arms) consistently flashed during practice. He ran with attitude and quickness, flying through holes and delivering pop at contact, which won’t come as a surprise to anyone who has watched his college tape. He was consistently on time as a runner and in pass protection where he anchored down. Pierce is built like an NFL back and uses his shorter stature to leverage the point-of-attack as a blocker. Like Ruckert, he is deserving of the “better pro than college player” label and is competing to be one of the first senior backs drafted.

Tuesday’s practice was not a good practice for several hamstrings. Central Michigan OL Luke Goedeke (6-4 1/4, 318, 33 1/8-inch arms) didn’t return after retreating to the locker room with a pulled hamstring. San Diego State DL Cameron Thomas (6-4, 264, 33 1/8-inch arms) tried to give it a go, but his hamstring injury bothered him in warmups, and he will be on the sidelines the rest of the week. Baylor LB Terrel Bernard (6-0 1/2, 220, 30 5/8-inch arms) has a minor hamstring injury and was in street clothes for the first practice.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
      Do you want to own a Ferrari or put in a speed bump to slow down somebody else’s Ferrari?
      Right now, I'd settle for a nice, solid Toyota Camry at RT...

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

I’d prefer either of these guys later to Davis in the first. They have what I like in a IDL- reset the LOS. I don’t need a pass rusher at IDL or the cost that goes with it. Put your money at ED.

The most impressive player from the National practice (led by the New York Jets’ coaching staff) on Tuesday was Connecticut DT Travis Jones (6-4, 326, 34-inch arms). When you think of powerful two-gappers who can dominate vs. the run in this draft class, Georgia’s Jordan Davis, who isn’t here, is the top dog. But for teams who would rather target a nose tackle outside the first round, Jones will be a popular prospect. During drills, he showed off his developed strength to anchor the point-of-attack and also flashed as a pass rusher, pouncing out of his stance and bullying his way through contact. UConn has a few players with a chance to be drafted in April, and Jones could hear his name early.

Another nose tackle who gave blockers a tough time with was Arkansas DT John Ridgeway (6-5, 327, 33 5/8-inch arms). He generated consistent push and reset the line of scrimmage throughout practice. There are only so many players in this draft with the size and ability of Jones and Ridgeway, which was evident in practice and will show on draft weekend.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• equivocation
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2021
          • Send PM

Good draft for trenchers. Depth at both OT and IDL.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2021
            • Send PM

Travis Jones would be a great replacement for Linval.

Comment

• Fleet 1
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Kauai
              • Send PM

Senior Bowl Impressions Tuesday

February 1, 2022
              0 Comment
              The stadium is closed and the sun is setting, somewhere behind those clouds, to the West out my hotel window. The first practices are in the books and hundreds of us will be tweeting and blogging about what we thought we saw going on.

Let’s get right to the QB situation, as that always seems to be of paramount interest to fans, and those teams who don’t have a franchise QB on their roster. Which by the way, now also officially includes the Tampa Bay Bucs, just in case you somehow missed that. I am going to give you a daily update on who impressed me and who didn’t among the QB group.

Today I have a Top 2, of 6, for you. The 2 QBs who did more good things than bad, at least when I was watching them were;

SAM HOWELL #14 With strong accurate throws and traces of mobility to his game.

MALIK WILLIS #7 Showed off his arm at times, but also had some pretty bad throws mixed in on a regular basis.

The other 4 QBs here this year, I would all rate as just “GUYS” right now.

DESMOND RIDDER Looks the part and had some nice throws, but had trouble with snaps from OC at times.

BAILEY ZAPPE Just doesn’t have the true arm strength you need as a pro, unless he ends up in a chuck & duck offensive scheme.

CARSON STRONG After we were told how his knee is good again, he looked like a statue too often, and threw wildly while scrambling. Arm strength is good, but he was lobbing mortar shells today on long ones.

KENNY PICKETT Was inconsistent in his throwing, and held the ball too long, resulting in sacks.

We haven’t gotten all of the details officially yet, but it was a tough start on the injury front. It looked like LB TERREL BERNARD; DE/ER CAMERON THOMAS and OL LUKE GOEDEKE might all be on the verge of being done with football this week because of injuries.

Nice addition to the National Roster was announced by JIM NAGY this afternoon, that Oregon S VERONE McKINLEY is flying in to join the National team starting Wednesday. He is currently ranked in my Top 100.

As most of you know GPS determined MPH speed for players is gaining ground in replacing the good old 40-times in judging player speed. So just to show you that even an “old dog” (me) can learn new tricks, here are some of the fastest speeds recorded today during practices:

CB JOSH WILLIAMS Fayetteville State 21.75mph

WR ROMEO DOUBS Nevada 21.25mph

RB RACHAAD WHITE Arizona St 21.15mph

WR BRAYLON SANDERS Ole Miss 20.84mph

WR CHRISTIAN WATSON N. Dakota St 20.71mph

WR ALEC PIERCE Cincinnati 19.82mph

It certainly looked to my eyes, that the TE group is one of the strongest position groups in not only this game, but the entire 2023 Draft. Perhaps the most pleasant surprise in the group of 8 here this week, at least for one practice is GREG DULCICH of UCLA. In case you missed some of the numbers, DULCICH measured in at 6’036/248, with 9 7/8″ hands and an 81 1/4″ Wingspan. He is a smooth route runner coming out of his stance, tracks the throws well, and showed nice soft hands on several slightly off target throws this afternoon.

Ohio State’s JEREMY RUCKERT also looked quite good this afternoon. He gets downfield well and also exhibited good hands on catches. He was likely underused by the Buckeyes in their offense, where the wideouts are so good and plentiful that the TE becomes an after-thought. Here’s thinking that this guy will make a more productive receiver as a pro than he was in college. And of course, he is a solid blocker in the run game.

The OL group has some very large bodies in the groups for both teams. The most effective blockers for the national Team today were MATT WALETZKO/North Dakota & ABE LUCAS/Washington State, but perhaps the most highly ranked OT this year in Mobile is TREVOR PENNING/Northern Iowa, the 6’066/330, who also took care of business here today. He has a tremendous wingspan of 83 5/8″. He looked solid in both run blocking and pass-pro 1-on-1 drills. I find it somewhat ironic that last year the BILLS drafted SPENCER BROWN, also from Northern Iowa. He was starting for them by season’s end. These guys acquitted themselves well in the morning practice.

Then some OL from the American squad afternoon practice strutted their stuff. DARIAN KINNARD/Kentucky needs some refinement to his technique, but the massive 325-pounder is relentless and can wear defenders down as he did this afternoon. Based on what I saw today, I think another OT named BRAXTON JONES from little Southern Utah has some major long range potential. At 6’5/306, #77 looks almost skinny, but he has long (36″ arms) and competes on every snap. I’m anxious to see if he progresses as the week goes on.

As often happens, it is not all a bed of roses for every player down here. One of the least impressive performances I saw today was from small school CB GREGORY JUNIOR, from the National squad. He was just overpowered and outrun most of the morning practice. And he sure did not look like a 202-pounder. He just couldn’t keep up with most receivers and had trouble anticipating the throw. Let’s call him a project for now. This is a big step up for him in competition, coming from Ouachita Baptist.

On the other hand, Fayetteville State CB WILLIAMS (mentioned above for hissed) held up very well. He allowed a few catches, but he also broke up a couple of throws. Not that he was expected to tackle much in college, but he was way too content to just dance with a WR/blocker on several occasions. Some NFL team will be glad to work on that if his cover skills continue to look this solid.

There are a lot of solid DL in this game, and I don’t mean Edge players, I am talking about legit hand on the ground DL. How about my top 2 from each team, after just one practice.

National Team: LOGAN HALL/Houston & TRAVIS JONES/UConn

American Team: KINGSLEY ENAGBARE/South Carolina & JOHN RIDGEWAY/Arkansas

Those of you who have followed me for a while know that I always pay attention to my kicking Special Teamers so…. my quick impression is that neither of the PK’s in this game are going to be drafted or make an NFL team. But both of the Punters here impressed me today. JAKE CAMARDA/Georgia, #90, wasn’t called upon to Punt a whole lot for UGA last season, but he booms them with good hang time. His range for my stop-watch was 4.09-4.90 seconds. Meanwhile, Penn State’s JORDAN STOUT, #96, was booming them this morning. He was kicking for such distance that a receiver group had to twice move further downfield to keep from being bombarded by his practice punts. These guys both look like future NFL-ers to me.

Gotta run. Weather permitting, hope to be back at you Wednesday night.

Cheers

Comment

• Fleet 1
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Kauai
                • Send PM

2022 Prospect Profiles

Between now and the draft we will be adding as many new profiles as possible. Also note that while the players are listed in rough order of their grades, this is NOT meant as a ranking per se.
                2022 Prospect Profiles

Posted: January 25, 2022

Aidan Hutchinson, DE, Michigan, 6-6.5, 270, 4.65, SR … 4th-year senior came back from a fractured ankle that limited him to just three games in 2020 to basically earn ‘defensive player of the year’ honors in all college football this past season when he posted 13 sacks in leading the Wolverines into the national playoffs. Long, tall DE looks more like a TE or basketball power forward; in fact, he actually also played lacrosse in high school which is a scary thought. However, unlike like a lot of taller defensive lineman has the flexibility to dip his shoulders and bend at the hip and knees. He also has a quick, explosive first step, elite change of direction skills, a powerful punch, effectively uses his strong hands and long arms to get off blocks, as well as an evolving array of pass rush moves; also does a nice job setting up his moves. He also has an incredibly hot motor that runs all the time. He’s also extremely scheme versatile with the ability to play with his hand in the dirt or standing up as either a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB. Could also kick inside on passing downs. Indeed, expect the team drafting Hutchinson to move him around a lot like Dallas does with OLB Micah Parsons, the NFL DPOY as a rookie this year. And while he is expected to run in the 4.65 range during pre-draft testing, the one thing that the Hutchinson arsenal lacks is elite closing speed and he will on occasion get pushed by the pocket by OTs that have stayed in contact. Bottom line: Arguably the best player in college football this year has the tools to be a dominant edge rusher at the next level, along with the motor to be really special.

Kayvon Thibodeaux, DE, Oregon, 6-4.5, 260, 4.55, JR … Third-year junior was a superstar recruit out of L.A. who chose the Ducks over all of college football’s big-time programs. Has generally been considered to be the top edge rush prospect for the 2022 draft with the tools to be THE best overall prospect period, although he isn’t rated in quite the same class as recent early-pick DEs like Chase Young or Myles Garrett. Has prototype length, an explosive get-off and elite closing speed, along with excellent bend and flexibility, although his technique is still somewhat of a work in progress and needs to refine his technique and learn how to set up blockers. Still somewhat lean at 260-pounds, but has decent strength and is a solid enough run defender who is strong in pursuit with the lateral agility to close down lanes, although he could do a better job anchoring at the point of attack. Had a breakout year in 2019 when he had 9.5 sacks as a true freshman, but his productivity has been hit and miss ever since. Had only three sacks in the Ducks’ truncated 7 game season in 2020, although he did dominate Oregon’s Pac-12 championship game win over USC that year. Started the 2021 season where he left off the previous year posting a couple of big plays early in the Ducks’ season opener, but hurt an ankle before the half and missed all or part of several games and wasn’t close to 100% in several others. In the end, he finished the year with 7 sacks and 5 other tackles for loss, but did have a QB-pressure rate (18%) that was among the best in the country. Thibodeaux will also have to answer some questions about his motor which has been known to run hot and cold at times, as well as his dedication to the game before the upcoming draft. On the one hand, he is a confident, almost brash young guy which you better be if you have ‘the chosen one’ tattooed on your arm and you think of yourself as a ‘brand.’ At the same time, he is something of a ‘renaisance man’ who had a 3.8 GPA in high school, plays chess, and has talked about becoming a lawyer with a focus on social issues down the road. And things like his comments about Alabama’s academics can rub a lot of people the wrong way. Bottom line: Elite physical talent who never quite lived up to the billing in college, but has as high a ceiling as any player in the 2022 draft if the team selecting him can get it unlocked.

Evan Neal, OT, Alabama; 6-6.5, 350, 5.40, JR … Experienced third-year junior with 41 career starts who progressed from LG in 2019 to RT in 2020 and LT this year. He’s a massive guy with exceptional length who is quite simply a long, long way around. And while he’s no gazelle, Neal is a surprisingly good athlete for someone that size. He’s a dominating run blocker with a quick get-off, devastating punch and uncommon lower-body strength who simply engulfs defenders in front of him and just wears them down. Also plays with a bit of edge and goes hard to the whistle. Can also get out and reach second level blocks, although he will lunge at times and lose his balance. He’s also an accomplished pass blocker who as noted is just a long way around. He’s relatively nimble on his feet with a smooth slide step and can cut off the edge; also uses his long arms effectively to redirect pass rushers away from the pocket. However, has some issues with lateral quickness and doesn’t plant and change direction all that well and has struggled with counter moves by quality speed rushers in the past. Also has somewhat limited range in blitz pick-up. There will also be some concerns about weight control for a big guy who actually weighed close to 390 in high school, although he reportedly played at closer to 345 this past season. Bottom line: Legitimate top 5 prospect with an uncommon combination of size, strength, athleticism and intensity, but at least on paper, may look better suited to playing RT at the next level where his lack of pure foot-speed won’t be exposed as much as it might on the other side. Indeed, it does not appear that there are a lot of Pro Bowl LTs in the NFL who run in the 5.40 range, although truth be told, there just aren’t that many pro LTs who are 6-7, 350 who can jump on top of a 48-inch box from a standing start.

Kyle Hamilton, FS, Notre Dame, 6-4, 220, 4.45, JR … Third-year junior is one of the most talented players in this draft with LB size and temperament combined with the speed, range and agility of a CB. Very versatile as a safety as he is just as comfortable playing up in the box or patrolling the deep secondary and could also project to play some at ILB on passing downs. Has outstanding man-coverage skills with the size to match up with bigger TEs and the quickness to handle more traditional slot receivers if needed. Hamilton has excellent instincts along with outstanding ball skills as he anticipates routes well and uses his length and short-area quickness to get his hands on passes. For his career, Hamilton had 8 picks including 3 in 7 games in 2021. Hamilton also has some potential as a blitzer in that he uses his hands well to take on and control blockers, although he never did record a sack for the Irish. He’s also a really good wrap-up tackler in space. And while he will deliver a pop, he can be little over-aggressive playing the run and doesn’t also take the best angles to the ball. Did miss a game in 2020 with an ankle injury and then sat out the second half of the 2021 season with a non-career threatening knee injury that did not require surgery. High-character kid who drew praise from the Irish staff for staying engaged while he was out as he helped coach up some of the younger DBs. Bottom line: Hamilton is arguably pound-for-pound the best player in this draft and would be very much in the debate to be the #1 player selected if he played a more valued position. Still figures to be a top 5 pick with the versatility to provide the team that selects him multiple options in their defensive scheme.

Ikem Ekwonu, G/T, North Carolina State, 6-4, 320, 4.95, JR … AKA Ickey is a third-year junior with 32 career starts and top 5 potential; lacks prototype length but otherwise is the total package; he’s a good athlete who was a high school wrestler and actually ran anchor leg on his high school relay team; he’s also strong and powerful with a mean and nasty disposition on the field; also a super-smart kid in the classroom who is the son of a doctor and had offers to go to both Yale and Harvard, and it appears those smarts translate to the field where he has a high football IQ. Dominating drive blocker who explodes out of his stance, packs a devastating punch and plays with great leverage and body control. Can also make a block in space and is effective pulling; can also get to the second level and there is plenty of tape showing him knocking one man to the ground and going looking for another; only issue in the run game is that he can be over-aggressive at times and will occasionally lose his balance going for a pancake that isn’t necessarily there. Also a good pass protector who anchors well and just can’t be bull-rushed; has a smooth slide step and while he isn’t as tall as some OTs, still has long arms and generally gets the most out of his extension. However, he lacks elite lateral agility and has struggled at times against speed edge rushers, especially when trying to deal with cutback moves as he tends to overset and is slow to redirect. Bottom line: Going to be an interesting guy to grade in that physically he’s best suited to play inside where he’ll likely get an elite grade, whereas most teams are going to be looking at OT where he’s good but does have some holes in his game. That versatility, though, also makes him one of the safer picks in this year’s draft class because if he doesn’t really work out at OT, he can kick inside where he’ll still have Pro Bowl potential.

George Karlaftis, DE, Purdue, 6-4, 275, 4.75, JR … Interesting guy who only started playing football in Grade 8 after his family immigrated from Greece. Third-year junior had a breakout year in 2019 when he posted 7.5 sacks as a true freshman, but barely played the following year because of an ankle injury, as well as a bout with Covid. Productivity was hard to read in 2021 because he was constantly double-teamed as just about every opponent schemed around him. In the end, he had only 5 sacks this year, but was also credited with 35 QB hurries. Lacks prototype length and elite speed, but he is a very good athlete otherwise. Indeed, he was also a track star who won back-to-back state shot put titles in high school and reportedly has a 37-inch vertical. And while he isn’t going to simply run around people to get to the QB, he is a a strong, powerful player with a thick lower body and weight-room strength who plays with excellent leverage; he’s also simply relentless attacking the pocket. He does have a very quick first step and the ability to plant and change direction without losing speed or power. He also has strong hands and a devastating punch along with an impressive array of pass rush moves. Indeed, he may be the most technically proficient DE in this year’s draft class; also a student of the game, with the ability to read opposing offensive lineman’s moves and set up his next rush. Willing run defender, although he could do a better anchoring the point of attack on plays run right at him. Bottom line: Karlaftis has a unique combination of strength and power, technical proficiency and top-end, non-stop intensity, along with decent athleticism, although lack of sustained elite production will be a concern, as will the lack of elite footspeed which may limit his ultimate ceiling.

Derek Stingley, CB, LSU, 6-1, 195, 4.35, JR … Third-year junior was the #1 high school recruit in the country and was named an All-American as he started every game in the Tigers’ national championship season as a true freshman in 2019, but hasn’t been as prominent the past two years because of a series of injuries. Still made it two years as an AA in 2020 despite missing games with first a concussion and then later a leg issue, but played in only three games this past season because of a training camp foot injury that ultimately required season-ending surgery. When healthy has all the tools of a true shutdown corner including prototype length, elite speed, fluid hips, great hands ball skills, and excellent instincts, vision and patience. Best as a press corner with strong hands and solid technical skills, but also breaks well on the ball in zone. Could be a little more physical defending the run, though, and has been known to give an inconsistent effort at times. Is the grandson of former NFL first rounder Darryl Stingley whose career was tragically cut short when he suffered that catastrophic spinal cord injury back in 1978. Bottom line: Stingley has as much pure talent as any corner to come along since Patrick Peterson (who also wore #7 at LSU) a decade ago, but scouts have to figure out whether off years the past couple of seasons were primarily the result of injuries or are legitimate red flags.

Charles Cross, OT, Mississippi State; 6-5, 310, 5.05, RSO … Third-year redshirt sophomore with 22 career starts at LT. Cross is arguably the best pure pass blocker in the 2022 draft. Indeed, he allowed just two sacks playing over 900 snaps this fall in the rugged SEC West. He is an exceptional athlete with a great first step and superior balance and body control who is very light and nimble on his feet; he also generally keeps his feet moving through the play even when engaged. He also has elite lateral agility, is very fluid in space, and can plant and redirect with ease. Also has good range and does a nice job identifying and cutting off blitzers and loopers. Doesn’t possess the most powerful punch, though, but is still effective redirecting opponents with his hands based on advanced timing and placement. Cross, though, isn’t all that big or physical. He’s a bulked up 310 pounds, but is still somewhat lean and will struggle at times to anchor against straight bull rushes. He’s also likely never going to be a true roadgrader drive blocking; in fact, playing in the Bulldogs’ Air Raid offense, he actually doesn’t get a lot of snaps in the run game. However, he is a willing run blocker who gets a hand on people quickly and does a nice job sealing off opposing tacklers; can also get to the second level and make a block in space. Bottom line: Cross is a prototype LT prospect with decent length and outstanding feet and athleticism who is an excellent pass blocker. However, he’s not overly strong or physical and is only an average run blocker. Still, pass-blocking LTs are worth their weight in gold in today’s pass-oriented offenses and shouldn’t slide very far outside this year’s first ten picks if he isn’t selected sooner.

David Ojabo, DE, Michigan, 6-5, 255, 4.55, RSO … Third-year redshirt sophomore with special athleticism who is just starting to scratch the surface. In fact, was born in Nigeria, but grew up in Scotland playing soccer and basketball and didn’t actually start playing football until his junior year in high school, just 5 years ago. Also was something of an afterthought heading into the season at Michigan after posting one measly career tackle in his first two years in the program, but had a breakout campaign this fall when he registered 11 sacks. Indeed, at one point late in the season actually had one more sack than Aidan Hutchinson, his more heralded UM linemate. Ojabo is a pure speed rusher who was a state 100M titlist in high school with a 10.93 PB, but he also has the flexibility to dip his shoulder and make himself small while turning the corner, as well as the agility to plant and change direction on the fly. He also has decent hand and upper-body strength, but his usage of both is very rudimentary. He also has a very limited arsenal of pass rush moves, although they did get better over the course of the season. Willing enough run defender who is dynamic in pursuit, but isn’t very physical or instinctive and struggles to hold the point of attack on plays right at him. Bottom line: Quick-twitch edge rusher with high-end physical skills, but still very raw and unpolished such that the team that selects him may have to give him a year or so to develop into an every down defender.

Nakobe Dean, LB, Georgia, 6-0, 225, 4.50, JR … Very athletic 3rd year junior won the Butkus Award as the nation’s top LB in both high school and college this year when he led the Bulldogs’ defense with 72 tackles, including 6 sacks, 5.5 other tackles for loss, 2 picks, 8 pass break-ups and 2 forced fumbles. He’s not all that big at a listed 6-0, 225, although he’s likely going to officially measure in at under 6 feet at the combine. What he is, is the fastest LB in this year’s draft with sideline-to-sideline range; he’s also got excellent instincts and the quickness and nimble feet to slide through the traffic and find the ball. And while he’s not all that big, he plays with excellent leverage and really explodes into tackles. Can also contribute in defending the pass as both a blitzer who can shoot the gap as well as in coverage, although he will struggle at times to deal with taller, longer TEs when manned up. For good measure, he’s also a great character kid and an outstanding student in the classroom who is majoring in mechanical engineering. Bottom line: Dean is an outstanding all-around LB with the speed and range to get some top ten consideration, but there will be concerns about the lack of size.

Kenny Pickett, QB, Pittsburgh, 6-3, 220, 4.80, SR+ … Fifth-year super senior was the very definition of journeyman college QB during his first three years as a starter, but then very much like Joe Burrow a couple of years back, put together a remarkable final year. Indeed, during those first three years, Pickett never completed more than 62% of his passes or had more than 13 TD passes, but had a 67% completion rate in 2021 while throwing for 42 scores against just 7 picks as he made several All-America teams, was a Heisman finalist and led Pitt to an 11-2 record and their first ACC championship. Has decent size at 6-3, 220 with the lower-body strength to absorb hits in the pocket as well as break tackles in space. However, he also has short arms and very small hands for an NFL QB; as a 5th year guy, he’ll also already be 24 by the time he gets to his first NFL game. Has decent arm talent with the arm strength to make all the throws, although he doesn’t necessarily have a cannon and needs to be able to step into deeper throws. Also throws a nice catchable ball with good accuracy, although he doesn’t always put it on the numbers. Also possesses all the leadership intangibles teams look for in a franchise QB including smarts, toughness and work ethic. Good enough athlete to be able to escape trouble in the pocket and extend plays with his legs, although probably not a good enough athlete to design run plays for. However, he does still keep his eyes focused downfield when he is on the move and throws well on the run. Has improved his pocket awareness over the years, but isn’t all that patient back there and has a tendency to take off if his primary target isn’t open; also could improve his pre-snap recognition skills in reading defenses and anticipating blitzes. And while he does have a bit of a gunslinger mentality, generally takes good care of the football. Bottom line: Certainly figures to be one of the first 2-3 QBs off the board this spring, but he is still a tough kid to grade as there is a lot to like in his game, but there also a number of questions in addition to the small hands and age thing. He’s got tools including decent arm strength and athleticism, but neither is necessarily elite. Then there’s the question of whether 2021 was the real deal for Pickett or whether he’s a one-year wonder.

Tyler Linderbaum, C, Iowa, 6-3, 290, 5.10, JR … Fourth-year junior who came to Iowa as a DT, but shifted to C in 2019 and finished his college career as a consensus All-American, the Big Ten offensive lineman of the year and Rimington Award winner this past season. and despite not being the biggest interior offensive lineman out there, is still considered to be one of the best C prospects to come along in a while. He’s a good athlete who also played baseball in high school and made the state meets as both a wrestler and shot putter. He’s very quick with excellent balance and body control, he also has really strong hands, along with impressive lower-body power and, as a former wrestler, plays with great leverage. Really smart player who knows how to play the angles and set up blocks. Tenacious blocker with nimble feet who never stops moving and plays to the whistle every down. Easily gets to the second level and can make blocks in space, although he will overextend at times. Doesn’t get as many pass-blocking reps in the run-heavy, play action oriented Iowa offense as some other offensive line prospects, but does a nice job moving around the pocket picking off blitzes; he’s also dynamic leading the way on screens and other gadget plays. However, he will struggle at times to anchor and will give up a lot of penetration when manned up against big, physical bull rushers. And because of the lack of bulk and short arms he is somewhat scheme limited in that he is unlikely to be able to transition to OG. Also scheme limited in the sense that is best suited to team’s employing a zone-blocking system. Bottom line: One of the better C prospects to come along in a while with top 10 athleticism, agility, smarts and tenacity, but some size and length limitations.

Matt Corral, QB, Mississippi, 6-2, 205, 4.65, JR … Exciting 4th-year junior led the Rebels to a 10-win season and a spot in the Sugar Bowl and by all rights should have at least been a Heisman finalist. For the year, Corral completed 68% of his pass attempts for over 3,300 yards and 20 TDs versus just 4 interceptions while running for another 600 yards and 11 TDs on the ground. Not all that big at barely 6-2, 205, but is as tough and competitive as they come. He’s also very quick and shifty with the ball in his hands, but will have to learn to slide at the next level. In fact, he’s primarily a RPO QB who makes very quick decisions in that read and go offense. Sees the field well and has a quick-twitch release even when he’s on the move and doesn’t lose much velocity when throwing from odd angles. Very accurate passer in short and intermediate areas where he consistently puts the ball on the numbers and allows his receivers to make the catch without having to break stride. Also has enough arm strength to get the ball into tight spaces as well as downfield, but lacks elite velocity and tends to lose accuracy the farther the throw. In fact, he’s somewhat limited as a pocket passer and probably needs to go to a scheme-friendly team. As a shorter player, he doesn’t always see the field all that well from the pocket and just isn’t very experienced going through progressions. He also needs to improve his route anticipation and ability to read defenses. Bottom line: Will need to go to the right team, but a very talented RPO QB who makes quick decisions, is a crafty runner and has enough arm talent to make all the throws.

Devin Lloyd, LB, Utah, 6-2, 235, 4.65, SR … Disruptive 5th year senior was actually recruited as a safety, but developed into one of the country’s most productive interior LBs. In 2021, for example, he posted 110 tackles, including 8 sacks, 14 other tackles for loss, 4 interceptions (including a couple of pick 6s), and 6 other pass breakups, although his production did decline somewhat in the latter part of the year. Long, lean LB with good, though, not necessarily elite speed. Still has sideline-to-sideline range as he reads the field so well and has great instincts and anticipation. Also very quick to read interior run plays and consistently beats the blockers to the point of attack; also one of the best in college football shooting the gap and getting into the backfield. Solid enough wrap-up tackler, although he’s not real physical and will slide off on occasion. As a long-legged guy also has some issues taking on and shedding blockers when he doesn’t beat them to the point of attack. As a former DB has always been a very good coverage LB who matches up well with RBs and TEs. Also quick and instinctive in zone and features excellent ball skills for a backer. Also emerged as a gap-jumping pass rusher this fall with those 8 sacks, but needs a clean seam as he doesn’t have much in the way of natural pass rush moves. Bottom line: Arguably the most productive LB in college football, Lloyd figures to be one of the first two ILBs off the board this coming April along with Georgia’s Nakobe Dean, although top 10-15 might be just a little early given the questions about his overall physicality.

Jermaine Johnson, DE, Florida State, 6-5, 265, 4.55; SR+ … Rising 5th-year super senior who has taken a rather circuitous path to the top of the draft board. A 2-star recruit out of Minnesota who didn’t qualify academically, he originally went the JC route where he emerged as a potentially disruptive edge-rusher with offers from all the big-time football programs. He ended up at Georgia where he was a productive rotational performer for two years, but took advantage of the NCAA’s relaxed Covid transfer rules and switched to rebuilding Florida State for his final year where he hoped to get more playing time, which he had in spades and has responded with close to a sack per game. Johnson has always been a gifted athlete with 4.5-type speed and explosion, along with weight room strength. He also has prototype length, but still needs to do a better job using his long arms to get off blocks. Has an evolving array of pass rush rush moves, but is still primarily a speed rusher who needs to improve the technical aspects of his game. Not the most physical run-stuffer at the point of attack, but has excellent lateral quickness and agility and does a decent job setting the edge. Also has some scheme versatility as he has lined up both as a 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE playing with his hand in the dirt. Bottom line: Emerging high-ceiling prospect with as much physical potential as any edge rusher in the 2022 draft, but needs a little more polish.

Malik Willis, QB, Liberty, 6-1, 225, 4.45, SR … Very athletic 5th-year senior. Willis actually began his college career at Auburn, but transferred to Liberty after two years when he failed to win the starting job with the Tigers. He’s a powerful runner who had almost over 900 yards and 13 TDs on the ground this past season and can be a weapon either on designed runs or escaping trouble in the pocket. He’s a solidly built 225-pounder with close to track speed who can break tackles, although he’s not particularly shifty in the open field. Also has what may be the strongest arm in this year’s draft class and can drive the ball into tight spaces. For the most part, though, he is very unpolished as a passer. For starters, he isn’t all that accurate; this year, for example, he completed just 61% of his passes overall, and just 55% against FBS opponents; he also threw 12 interceptions. He doesn’t see the field real well and has limited route anticipation skills and usually just waits for his receivers to come open before releasing the ball. His timing and decision-making in the pocket also tend to be hit-and-miss and he turns the ball over too often. Bottom line: This is an athletic player with some intriguing potential as an impactful RPO style passer, but right now he looks to be a better athlete than passer who needs a lot of work on his pocket skills.

DeMarvin Leal, DE/DT, Texas A&M, 6-4, 290, 5.05, JR … Third-year junior had a breakout season in 2021 when he had 8.5 sacks. Very versatile defensive lineman who has potential as a 4-3 DE or DT, as well as a 3-4 DE. Very quick and athletic for a big guy. Has an explosive first step, can bend and dip with the agility to change direction, and has a nice array of spin and counter moves, along with impressive length. He’s also got a good motor. However, that versatility comes with some concerns about whether he in fact is really good at any particular position. On the one hand, he likely lacks the closing speed to consistently get to the QB from a traditional DE slot. At the same time, he isn’t all that strong or physical and struggles to anchor defending the run which could limit his ability to be a three-down 4-3 DT. In the end, his best fit may be as a 3-4 5T DE who kicks inside on passing downs in a four-man front. Bottom line: Potential as a very quick interior pass rusher is going to intrigue a lot of teams, but concerns about where he fits a three-down defender may push him into the latter part of the opening round.

Desmond Ridder, QB, Cincinnati, 6-4, 215, 4.70, SR … Experienced, athletic dual-threat QB led Cincinnati to an undefeated season as the Bearcats became the first ever non-Power 5 conference team to qualify for the national championship playoffs. Fifth-year senior with a 44-5 career won-lost record is the only FBS QB with over 10,000 career passing yards and 2,000 yards on the ground. Has a somewhat lean frame and isn’t going to be able to take many hits at the next level and is more quick than fast, but is a heady runner on both designed runs and while avoiding trouble in the pocket. Also throws reasonably well on the run. Certainly has the arm strength to make all the throws at the next level, but in the past his accuracy has been inconsistent; last year, for example, he completed just 65% of his passes which is good but hardly elite in this day and age. In particular, his ball placement just isn’t all that precise and he has been known to have more than his share of wild streaks, especially early in games. His decision-making in the pocket can also be inconsistent as he’ll hold the ball too long on one play and then take off too early on the next. Also needs to work on his route anticipation. Bottom line: Checks off as many boxes as any QB in this year’s draft, but he’s not necessarily elite in any particular area. There are also issues with his accuracy and decision-making in the pocket which will have to be cleaned up.

Carson Strong, QB, Nevada, 6-4, 215, 5.15, JR … Two-time Mountain West Player of the Year is a 4th-year junior with arguably the best overall arm talent in the 2022 draft. Prototype pocket passer with good size and more than enough arm strength to make all the throws at the next level. Stands tall in the pocket, sees the field well and has a nice compact delivery. Also has textbook mechanics and is a very accurate passer, especially on underneath and intermediate routes. Indeed, completed 70% of his pass attempts in both 2020 and 2021; also threw for 4,200 yards and 36 TDs against 8 picks this past season. Makes good pre-snap reads, anticipates routes well and does a nice job going thru progressions when he has a clean pocket. Clean pocket, though, is the operative word as Strong just isn’t very mobile and will force throws when the pocket starts to break down around him. He also tends to get sacked a lot – 36 times in 2021 – which can lead to turnovers. He’s also never going to be a factor in the run game. And his mobility is impacted, perhaps significantly, by a knee injury that ended his senior year in high school prematurely and has been an on-again-off-again issue since. Bottom line: Pocket passer with first-round arm talent, but limited by an overall lack of mobility and a lingering knee injury that remains a major red flag.

Sam Howell, QB, North Carolina, 6-1, 220, JR … No one will fault NFL scouts if they plead ‘Will the real Sam Howell please stand up!’ Indeed, at the start of the season, Howell, a 3rd-year junior, was being talked about as a legitimate candidate to be the #1 pick overall at the 2022 draft after a breakout campaign the year before in which he completed 68% of his passes for 3,600 yards and 30 TDs against only 7 picks. However, nobody’s talking that way these days as Howell struggled thru an inconsistent year this past fall when his completion dropped off to under 63% as he threw for just over 3,000 yards and 24 scores with 9 picks. Part of the problem was that Howell was working with a new supporting cast this season, but some very clear flaws in his game were exposed. On the one hand, he seemed to have something of a hitch in his delivery; he also didn’t appear to be making consistently good pre-snap reads, wasn’t seeing the whole field and too often locked onto his primary target and ended up forcing throws into coverage, all of which contributed to a decline in accuracy. At the same time, though, there is still a lot to like in Howell’s game. He can spin the ball and drive it into tight spaces; he’s a tough, competitive player who added a run element to his portfolio this year. Indeed, after running for less than 200 yards in his first two years combined, he ran for over 800 yards and 11 scores this fall as he turned around more than one game with his legs. As good as that sounds, though, Howell just isn’t athletic enough to win games like that at the next level. Bottom line: Arguably the biggest wild card in this year’s QB class, Howell has all the tools to be the first guy at the position selected this coming April; however, after a breakout year in 2020, he just didn’t play that way this past season leaving pro scouts with a quandary.

Comment

• Fleet 1
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kauai
                  • Send PM

2022 LB Profiles

February 1, 2022
                  0 Comment
                  Nakobe Dean, LB, Georgia, 6-0, 225, 4.50, JR … Very athletic 3rd year junior won the Butkus Award as the nation’s top LB in both high school and college this year when he led the Bulldogs’ defense with 72 tackles, including 6 sacks, 5.5 other tackles for loss, 2 picks, 8 pass break-ups and 2 forced fumbles. He’s not all that big at a listed 6-0, 225, although he’s likely going to officially measure in at under 6 feet at the combine. What he is, is the fastest LB in this year’s draft with sideline-to-sideline range; he’s also got excellent instincts and the quickness and nimble feet to slide through the traffic and find the ball. And while he’s not all that big, he plays with excellent leverage and really explodes into tackles. Can also contribute in defending the pass as both a blitzer who can shoot the gap as well as in coverage, although he will struggle at times to deal with taller, longer TEs when manned up. For good measure, he’s also a great character kid and an outstanding student in the classroom who is majoring in mechanical engineering. Bottom line: Dean is an outstanding all-around LB with the speed and range to get some top ten consideration, but there will be concerns about the lack of size.

Devin Lloyd, LB, Utah, 6-2, 235, 4.65, SR … Disruptive 5th year senior was actually recruited as a safety, but developed into one of the country’s most productive interior LBs. In 2021, for example, he posted 110 tackles, including 8 sacks, 14 other tackles for loss, 4 interceptions (including a couple of pick 6s), and 6 other pass breakups, although his production did decline somewhat in the latter part of the year. Long, lean LB with good, though, not necessarily elite speed. Still has sideline-to-sideline range as he reads the field so well and has great instincts and anticipation. Also very quick to read interior run plays and consistently beats the blockers to the point of attack; also one of the best in college football shooting the gap and getting into the backfield. Solid enough wrap-up tackler, although he’s not real physical and will slide off on occasion. As a long-legged guy also has some issues taking on and shedding blockers when he doesn’t beat them to the point of attack. As a former DB, has always been a very good coverage LB who matches up well with RBs and TEs. Also quick and instinctive in zone and features excellent ball skills for a backer. Also emerged as a gap-jumping pass rusher this fall with those 8 sacks, but needs a clean seam as he doesn’t have much in the way of natural pass rush moves. Bottom line: Arguably the most productive LB in college football, Lloyd figures to be one of the first two ILBs off the board this coming April along with Georgia’s Nakobe Dean, although top 10-15 might be just a little early given the questions about his overall physicality.

Comment

• Fleet 1
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kauai
                    • Send PM

Senior Bowl Weigh-in hi-lites

January 31, 2022
                    0 Comment
                    Not a whole lot surprising at today’s measurement ad weigh-in session at the Senior Bowl in Mobile. In fact, the most anticipated figure of the week never happened. That involved Pitt QB Kenny Pickett’s hand size which has been reported as very small. However, Pickett apparently decided to keep the story alive at least until the combine next month as he appears to have declined to have his hand his measured. Pickett, who measured in at a respectable 6-3, 217, though, does have short arms at barely over 30.5 inches. And speaking of ‘barely over’ fellow QBs Malik Willis of Liberty, Northy Carolina’s Sam Howell and Bailey Zappe of Western Kentucky each measured in at just a tad over 6-flat. At the same time, Cincinnati’s Desmond Ridder also measured in at 6-3, but weighed a very lean 207. Bottom line, this is a small QB class.

Among the RBs Alabama’s Brian Robinson certainly looked the part of the top rated back in Mobile as he measured in at a solid 6-1.5 and 226 pounds. Baylor’s Abram Smith also looked the part at 5-11, 211, but had me scouts calling for a re-measure when his hand size was announced at just a bit over 7.5 inches, which is one of the smallest ever on record for a big-time football player. Meanwhile, several WRs passed the eyeball test. Cincinnati’s Alec Pierce, for example, who measured in at 6-2.5 with 32.5-inch arms impressed with his length. Same for Christian Watson of North Dakota State who measured in at 6-4 with 10-inch plus hands and 32.7 inch arms. And same with Romeo Doubs of Nevada who is 6-2 with 32-inch plus arms and 10-inch plus hands. There is also a very good looking group of TEs in Mobile this week. Charlie Kolar of Iowa State, though, probably was the standout, at least in shorts, as he came in at 6-6, 256, with 10-inch plus hands and 34-inch arms. Meanwhile, Trey McBride of Colorado State and Coastal Carolina’s Isaiah Likely, the two top-rated TEs at the Senior Bowl this week were generally able to check off most of the boxes, although at 6-3, 250, McBride may be a little smaller than people expected, although he’s also got 10-inch hands and 32.5 inch arms. On the other hand, nobody expected Likely to be that bulky, so 241 at 6-4 was okay for him, while he also has 10-inch hands and 32.25-inch arms.

While the operative word for this year’s QB class is ‘small’ that is not the case for the offensive line which features some big lads. And the biggest of the big is Minnesota OT Daniel Faalele who truly did block out the sun as he measured in at 6-8, 387 (not a misprint!!) with huge 11-inch mitts and 35-inch hands. Same for Washington State OT Abraham Lucas who came in at 6-6, 332, with almost 10.5-inch hands and 34.5 armsand Trevor Penning of Northern Iowa at 6-7, 330, with 34.7″ arms and 10.25-inch hands. There were also a couple of big small-school OTs that stood out at the weigh-in and may have scouts going back to the tapes for a second look in Braxton Jones of Southern Utah (6-5, 306, with 36-inch arms) and Matt Waletzko of North Dakota (6-7, 310, with 35″ arms). And Tennessee OF Cade Mays also got in on the act as he measured in at 6-4.5, 321 with 34″ arms which is excellent for an interior offensive lineman. A couple of other notes on the offensive line. Central Michigan’s Bernhard Rainman, a rising star in this year’s draft class was 6-6 with 10.5-inch hands, but weighed a lightish 304 and featured only 33-inch arms. Meanwhile, Georgia G/T Jamaree Salyer probably answered the question whether he’s an OG or OT when he measured in with just 32.5-inch arms.

There is also a pretty impressive group of defensive linemen in Mobile this week which should set up an interesting week of practice battles between the two. DTs Perrion Winfrey of Oklahoma, Phil Mathis of Alabama and UCLA’s Otito Ogbonni, for example, were all able to check off the box they needed to with maybe an extra star thrown in. Winfrey, for example, measured in at 6-3.5, 303 with 10.5 inch hands and 35.5-inch arms, while Mathis was almost as impressive at 6-3.7, 331 with 10.25 hands and 34.5-inch hands. The Bruins Ogbinno, meanwhile, was something of a revelation at 6-3.5, 326 with 35-inch plus arms and 10-inch hands. The DEs weren’t quite as impressive aoverall, but there was no question that South Carolina’s JJ Enagbare checked off all the boxes as he measured in at 6-3.5, 261 with 10.25-inch hands and 35″ arms. Cam Thomas of San Diego also looked good at 6-4, 265, with 10-inch hands and 33-inch arms.

We would also have been tempted to include LBs Arnold Ebikitie of Penn State and Florida State’s Jermaine Johnson among the DES as they are primarily edge rushers. Indeed, Ebikitie impressed with 10.5-inch hands and 34″ arms, but maybe was a tad smaller than expected at 6-2.5 and barely 250, while Johnson checked off all the boxes at 6-4.5 and 260 with 34.5″ arms. There were also a couple of notable players among the DBs. On the one hand, Auburn CB Roger McCreary was big enough at 5-11, 190, but came in with very short arms under 30-inches. On the other hand, unheralded Texas-San Antonio CB Tariq Woolen turned some heads at 6-3, 205 with 33.5-inch arms.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post
                      2022 LB Profiles

February 1, 2022
                      0 Comment

Devin Lloyd, LB, Utah, 6-2, 235, 4.65, SR … Disruptive 5th year senior was actually recruited as a safety, but developed into one of the country’s most productive interior LBs. In 2021, for example, he posted 110 tackles, including 8 sacks, 14 other tackles for loss, 4 interceptions (including a couple of pick 6s), and 6 other pass breakups, although his production did decline somewhat in the latter part of the year. Long, lean LB with good, though, not necessarily elite speed. Still has sideline-to-sideline range as he reads the field so well and has great instincts and anticipation. Also very quick to read interior run plays and consistently beats the blockers to the point of attack; also one of the best in college football shooting the gap and getting into the backfield. Solid enough wrap-up tackler, although he’s not real physical and will slide off on occasion. As a long-legged guy also has some issues taking on and shedding blockers when he doesn’t beat them to the point of attack. As a former DB, has always been a very good coverage LB who matches up well with RBs and TEs. Also quick and instinctive in zone and features excellent ball skills for a backer. Also emerged as a gap-jumping pass rusher this fall with those 8 sacks, but needs a clean seam as he doesn’t have much in the way of natural pass rush moves. Bottom line: Arguably the most productive LB in college football, Lloyd figures to be one of the first two ILBs off the board this coming April along with Georgia’s Nakobe Dean, although top 10-15 might be just a little early given the questions about his overall physicality.
                      Most important Trait of Nakobe Dean is leadership. He can run your defense, like having coach on the field.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post
                        Senior Bowl Weigh-in hi-lites

January 31, 2022
                        0 Comment
                        Not a whole lot surprising at today’s measurement ad weigh-in session at the Senior Bowl in Mobile. In fact, the most anticipated figure of the week never happened. That involved Pitt QB Kenny Pickett’s hand size which has been reported as very small. However, Pickett apparently decided to keep the story alive at least until the combine next month as he appears to have declined to have his hand his measured. Pickett, who measured in at a respectable 6-3, 217, though, does have short arms at barely over 30.5 inches. And speaking of ‘barely over’ fellow QBs Malik Willis of Liberty, Northy Carolina’s Sam Howell and Bailey Zappe of Western Kentucky each measured in at just a tad over 6-flat. At the same time, Cincinnati’s Desmond Ridder also measured in at 6-3, but weighed a very lean 207. Bottom line, this is a small QB class.

Among the RBs Alabama’s Brian Robinson certainly looked the part of the top rated back in Mobile as he measured in at a solid 6-1.5 and 226 pounds. Baylor’s Abram Smith also looked the part at 5-11, 211, but had me scouts calling for a re-measure when his hand size was announced at just a bit over 7.5 inches, which is one of the smallest ever on record for a big-time football player. Meanwhile, several WRs passed the eyeball test. Cincinnati’s Alec Pierce, for example, who measured in at 6-2.5 with 32.5-inch arms impressed with his length. Same for Christian Watson of North Dakota State who measured in at 6-4 with 10-inch plus hands and 32.7 inch arms. And same with Romeo Doubs of Nevada who is 6-2 with 32-inch plus arms and 10-inch plus hands. There is also a very good looking group of TEs in Mobile this week. Charlie Kolar of Iowa State, though, probably was the standout, at least in shorts, as he came in at 6-6, 256, with 10-inch plus hands and 34-inch arms. Meanwhile, Trey McBride of Colorado State and Coastal Carolina’s Isaiah Likely, the two top-rated TEs at the Senior Bowl this week were generally able to check off most of the boxes, although at 6-3, 250, McBride may be a little smaller than people expected, although he’s also got 10-inch hands and 32.5 inch arms. On the other hand, nobody expected Likely to be that bulky, so 241 at 6-4 was okay for him, while he also has 10-inch hands and 32.25-inch arms.

While the operative word for this year’s QB class is ‘small’ that is not the case for the offensive line which features some big lads. And the biggest of the big is Minnesota OT Daniel Faalele who truly did block out the sun as he measured in at 6-8, 387 (not a misprint!!) with huge 11-inch mitts and 35-inch hands. Same for Washington State OT Abraham Lucas who came in at 6-6, 332, with almost 10.5-inch hands and 34.5 armsand Trevor Penning of Northern Iowa at 6-7, 330, with 34.7″ arms and 10.25-inch hands. There were also a couple of big small-school OTs that stood out at the weigh-in and may have scouts going back to the tapes for a second look in Braxton Jones of Southern Utah (6-5, 306, with 36-inch arms) and Matt Waletzko of North Dakota (6-7, 310, with 35″ arms). And Tennessee OF Cade Mays also got in on the act as he measured in at 6-4.5, 321 with 34″ arms which is excellent for an interior offensive lineman. A couple of other notes on the offensive line. Central Michigan’s Bernhard Rainman, a rising star in this year’s draft class was 6-6 with 10.5-inch hands, but weighed a lightish 304 and featured only 33-inch arms. Meanwhile, Georgia G/T Jamaree Salyer probably answered the question whether he’s an OG or OT when he measured in with just 32.5-inch arms.

There is also a pretty impressive group of defensive linemen in Mobile this week which should set up an interesting week of practice battles between the two. DTs Perrion Winfrey of Oklahoma, Phil Mathis of Alabama and UCLA’s Otito Ogbonni, for example, were all able to check off the box they needed to with maybe an extra star thrown in. Winfrey, for example, measured in at 6-3.5, 303 with 10.5 inch hands and 35.5-inch arms, while Mathis was almost as impressive at 6-3.7, 331 with 10.25 hands and 34.5-inch hands. The Bruins Ogbinno, meanwhile, was something of a revelation at 6-3.5, 326 with 35-inch plus arms and 10-inch hands. The DEs weren’t quite as impressive aoverall, but there was no question that South Carolina’s JJ Enagbare checked off all the boxes as he measured in at 6-3.5, 261 with 10.25-inch hands and 35″ arms. Cam Thomas of San Diego also looked good at 6-4, 265, with 10-inch hands and 33-inch arms.

We would also have been tempted to include LBs Arnold Ebikitie of Penn State and Florida State’s Jermaine Johnson among the DES as they are primarily edge rushers. Indeed, Ebikitie impressed with 10.5-inch hands and 34″ arms, but maybe was a tad smaller than expected at 6-2.5 and barely 250, while Johnson checked off all the boxes at 6-4.5 and 260 with 34.5″ arms. There were also a couple of notable players among the DBs. On the one hand, Auburn CB Roger McCreary was big enough at 5-11, 190, but came in with very short arms under 30-inches. On the other hand, unheralded Texas-San Antonio CB Tariq Woolen turned some heads at 6-3, 205 with 33.5-inch arms.
                        Great year for BEEF.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• equivocation
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2021
                          • Send PM

The number one trait we need to look for in defenders is vision, instincts, and the ability to read multiple keys and find the ball. Technique and strength can be improved. Reads can be sped up. But it is rare for someone to develop "Football IQ" this late.

Comment

Working...
                          X