• Apr 2021
        • Send PM

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
          Wouldn’t mind if Johnson & Kinnard where Chargers first two picks.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2020
            • Oklahoma
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I am pretty sure I did. I don't think what you said was clear, but I responded to what you said.

When you said 3rd and 4th OT, those are backup OT only. You know, 2 starting OT, 1 swing OT (3rd OT), a swing OT/OG (4th OT) plus 1 C/OG swing (8th OL). We won't know if they are going to carry more OL than that, at least until we see the roster makeup. And if we do, it is likely to be someone like James. But again, not letting them compete, is frankly not letting them compete. There is no other way to put it.

I don't see us getting a RT who is going to be able to start, unless we target them as FA, and I have covered that in other threads, that it seems unlikely to upgrade over Pipkins or Norton. The top OT prospects are all going to go pretty fast in the draft this year, so 1st round is likely to be out. By the time you go to 2nd or later, you can't count on them to start, at least not in year 1. More importantly, you still NEED Pipkins and Norton to compete for the starting job. Again, we could take a RT with the 1st pick in the draft, I would still want them to compete to win the job.

The NFL usually gives starting jobs to high draft picks or FA. And it is very hit and miss. There should be very little wonder why. Competition is the way to FORCE players to do everything they can to make themselves better. Pipkins did it this year because I think he was finally getting it that he was on the fast track to getting cut. But he got his head out of his ass in time, and seems to on the right track. Letting him compete lets him know that he needs to not only continue, but also tells Norton and/or every other player the same thing. Do the things you need to do to make yourself a good player or else. You can always go and review the Marcellus Wiley story if you want an example of a vet who became a FA and forgot.

But if you are really letting them compete, either Norton or Pipkins could very easily win the 2nd OT spot. I think you have to. If you want the younger, non-starters to put in the work, they need examples of players who do what they are asked and make it. If not, they have very little incentive to bust their asses. Plenty of good players have played outstanding, but only gotten chances for other teams than the ones who never gave them a chance. There is nothing wrong with giving players a chance. Again, guys like Dielman and Ekeler have turned themselves into very good players because they did what they needed to. Not everyone will be able to, but a bigger percentage would help.

Both Norton and Pipkins struggled when their technique was dreadful. However, both have dramatically improved it, so they have an excellent chance to be solid players. Generally speaking, how solid a player's technique is, is a good judge of how good an OL will be. OL with good technique beat more athletic DL all the time, and generally win most of plays against them. I think the real problem among most fans is that they don't have a clue what good OL technique looks like.

Storm will be 28 in a few months while Pipkins has had 3 years. I think they have about reached their peak and have very little faith in one becoming a solid starter.
            There is a long list starting with Lamp, Feeney, and Tevi of guys who don't get there if they don't have it years 1-3, especially for late round guys and undrafted players.
            Have more faith in a guy like Murray who proved it in college and is a much better athlete.
            Also, if spending big bucks to bring back Mike Williams better pass protection is mandatory to utilize him better on the deep ball. Protection simply wasn't good enough his first 5 years.
            Anyway, let's hope Mike is back at a fair price and all pon's are upgraded.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post

Storm will be 28 in a few months while Pipkins has had 3 years. I think they have about reached their peak and have very little faith in one becoming a solid starter.
              There is a long list starting with Lamp, Feeney, and Tevi of guys who don't get there if they don't have it years 1-3, especially for late round guys and undrafted players.
              Have more faith in a guy like Murray who proved it in college and is a much better athlete.
              Also, if spending big bucks to bring back Mike Williams better pass protection is mandatory to utilize him better on the deep ball. Protection simply wasn't good enough his first 5 years.
              Anyway, let's hope Mike is back at a fair price and all pon's are upgraded.
              You are entitled to your opion, but I am not sure the logic behind it. It doesn't make sense to me.

Pipkins and Norton have really improved their technique. OL technique is HUGE in OL play. Pipkins was like night and day, especially if you look at his feet. Again, most of the time, when a player falls off the cliff, it is because they stop working on their technique and it goes south. While we have not had much success with late-round draft picks, the NFL is full of quality players who were late-round picks or UDFA and play at a high level on the OL, largely because of the technique thing. And it is worth remembering that Pipkins was a3rd round draft pick and has the athletic tools of a very high draft pick, who slide because he was initally so raw. We knew it was going to take longer to develop when we drafted him and everyone even said so at the time.

Murray struggles reading and reacting. Any player who is an ILB is mostly about how well they read and react to the keys they are given. Players that struggle in making reads, and reacting correctly, it is somewhat uncommon to turn it around and coach it up. It happens, but not very often.

Sometimes you see college players who are good read and react guys who struggle when they transition to the NFL, then as they learn to study film and get coached up (in the NFL), they show the ability again. Murray was never that kind of player in college. He was a slow reactor, who was effective because he was hugely fast and explosive, and the OU D let him just sit back and watch, then fly around the field. That just doesn't work in the NFL. Sometimes you see players develop enough read and react ability, but that usually happens in defenses that single read (read one key and go), but we do a lot more double reading and ask our guys to do a lot more thinking than in Bradley's D, or in most other D in the NFL. Unless they use him as a very limited role player, I think Murray's best bet is to find some very simple 43 D and stack him behind a big NT so all he has to do is run to the ball. Even that is not too likely, IMHO. And Staley has said they plan on using him at ILB, which doesn't seem like the best idea to me either, I think he would be better at OLB.

You can potentially use Murray as a spy and/or blitzing ILB in a 3-3-5 or 3-2-6 look, and maybe that will be a thing post Bengals beating KC. Murray was largely used as a spy for RB and running QB in college, which is partly why his zone coverage skills are so poor. But I am not sure you can make a living like that with an NFL D devoting a roster spot to a player like that, especially when we still need to upgrade the ILB spot.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post
                I’m not saying I think he’s a big time free agent. To me he upgrades a weak spot on the O-line and buys a year or two before addressing that position in the draft. I will be happy to draft a strong RT in round 1 (or even round 2). But if he can be had for relatively cheap, it allows us to spend big money elsewhere and draft capital elsewhere. Spending 5+ million a year on him quickly makes him not worth it.
                The point of signing Kelly is that you are more than half way convinced that Pipkens will make a solid starting RT, and Kelly would be a better insurance policy than Norton if you are wrong....which he is.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Wouldn’t mind if Johnson & Kinnard where Chargers first two picks.
                  Kinnards body was seriously out of position, with his arms down and weight too far forward. It was impressive to see him recover from that mistake, and out athlete the guy back into good position. That is some serious quickness and athletic ability. If you can coach his technique up, he is going to be a seriously impressive pass blocker.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Kinnards body was seriously out of position, with his arms down and weight too far forward. It was impressive to see him recover from that mistake, and out athlete the guy back into good position. That is some serious quickness and athletic ability. If you can coach his technique up, he is going to be a seriously impressive pass blocker.
                    This sounds like a rip..... Kinnard won't get away with it on Sundays

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Senior Bowl report (day 1): pro football network

Right Tackles

Daniel Faalele

Daniel Faalele’s size will enamor onlookers, and for good reason. The Minnesota offensive tackle has neutralizing strength and can erase smaller linemen. But he wasn’t as consistent as desired on Day 1. Faalele showed some stiffness laterally and couldn’t always flip his hips to redirect defenders. He opened his torso a bit too much, exposing himself to power, and got knocked off-balance in 1-on-1s. He’ll need to be more consistent later in the week.

Abraham Lucas

There were times when Abraham Lucas struggled to lower his pads — an expected issue for a taller blocker. He was also a little early off the snap at times. Nevertheless, he’s a well-put-together athlete who showed he could anchor and drive defenders downfield as a run blocker. If he can keep working on bending his knees and driving his pads into players, he can end the week on a high note in two days.

Bernhard Raimann

It was an up-and-down day for Central Michigan’s Bernhard Raimann, but he flashed potential. Raimann’s quick off the snap, and he can flex to absorb power. However, his hands can be a little high at times, and he can also be walked back by more powerful defenders. If Raimann wants to lock in his Day 2 billing, he’ll need to improve his anchor and leverage on Wednesday.

Trevor Penning

The upside pops with Trevor Penning, which was to be expected. He’s a big, physical mauler who has imposing strength and a constant edge. He also showed he could reset his anchor and gather power rushers. However, while Penning is nasty, he’s also uncontrolled. He can be stiff laterally at times and didn’t always match positioning with timing. His physical edge should still be enough to win over some evaluators.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2021
                        • Send PM

ran a couple simulations and he was off the board earlier in 2nd rd. before Chargers pick. Seems like this whole OT is moving in tandem higher because of team need and value.

Doubtful Chargers select OT first round back to back years. Second round looks like there will be early run on them too. Hate to go project 4th/5th rd…..

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Senior Bowl report (day 1): pro football network

Right Tackles (American team)

Max Mitchell

Max Mitchell came into the Senior Bowl needing an ascension, and he worked toward that on Day 1. The Louisiana OT was one of the most eye-catching linemen on either team. Even with his lighter frame, he still levies violent extensions and can finish off-balance opponents. He’s a spry athlete who can latch and redirect opponents’ momentum, and he has a physical edge. Mitchell’s a riser after today.

Darian Kinnard

The physical tools have always been enticing with Darian Kinnard. He’s an absolute bull whose grip strength can be suffocating. He also displayed solid recovery athleticism at times and was able to reset his anchor with force. The Kentucky OT still opens up his torso too much, exposing his frame to power. But he had a good first day overall and proved he can be a difference-maker with his traits.

Braxton Jones

On Day 1 of the Senior Bowl, Braxton Jones was comfortably the best FCS offensive lineman in action. Jones got by purely outmuscling opponents at the FCS level, but he showed something extra today. He certainly looks the part with his athleticism and 36-inch arms, and that length can be suffocating for opponents. His hands were a bit wide at times, but overall, he was smooth and methodical, even locking down Jermaine Johnson II on multiple occasions. That’s not easy to do.

Comment

Working...
                          X