• Show
Clear All
  • FoutsFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Birmingham AL
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

When I’ve seen Olave mocked to us it’s as a replacement for Williams.
    That would be an epic disaster.

That would mean that instead of fixing holes in our roster, we created new holes where they did not exist and have to waste a 1st round pick to repair the hole created by stupidity. If that happens the season will be over before it starts.

Comment

• equivocation
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

That would be an epic disaster.

That would mean that instead of fixing holes in our roster, we created new holes where they did not exist and have to waste a 1st round pick to repair the hole created by stupidity. If that happens the season will be over before it starts.
      Presumably the Williams cap money would be used to fill other holes.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

The same coaches who stood by Pipkins when everyone on this board wanted him gone?
        If by benching him you mean benching him till injury forced them to play him, yes. But then they somehow coached him up. Then benched him again even with Norton’s ass-blowingly bad last game. Do we spend a first on RT, or do have that already?

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Olivea had injury concerns. I think he hurt himself training for the draft plus rumors of other stuff prior to that.

Plus he was considered sort of an odd mix, physically. He was short and had short arms (if you believe that nonsense) for an OT, but also wasn't particularly good at getting low (a big deal for an OG). He just didn't fit the usual mold and with just about any other question marks.

The other thing you don't often hear about is if a player has rumors of drug problems. Draft publications and websites don't want to get sued for liable, but it is the kind of things teams follow closely. I don't know if the rumors date back to then or not. I kind of remember some rumors of Shane and a drinking problem, but maybe that was someone else. It was quite a while ago.
          Last edited by Steve; 01-28-2022, 06:37 PM.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

If by benching him you mean benching him till injury forced them to play him, yes. But then they somehow coached him up. Then benched him again even with Norton’s ass-blowingly bad last game. Do we spend a first on RT, or do have that already?
            Yeah, benching him helped give them time to work on his mechanics and footwork. He came out an improved player. Just probably not able to beat out Norton yet. Norton, despite how he looked in the last game, had more solid games under his belt than Pipkins.I’m not sure what the confusion is here.

Edit: we’ll see what happens in the draft. If they get an RT early, it means Pipkins is potentially our swing tackle.

Comment

• eaterfan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2020
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Yeah, benching him helped give them time to work on his mechanics and footwork. He came out an improved player. Just probably not able to beat out Norton yet. Norton, despite how he looked in the last game, had more solid games under his belt than Pipkins.I’m not sure what the confusion is here.

Edit: we’ll see what happens in the draft. If they get an RT early, it means Pipkins is potentially our swing tackle.
              Yep. People also seem to forget that Sam Tevi had some solid games for us, too. He was actually decent for a season. Pipkins could turn out to be a solid player or maybe better, but given the sample we've seen of him, he seems more like a Tevi to me. I don't want that as the best option at RT for next season.

Comment

• equivocation
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2021
                • Send PM

Tevi lacked play strength. Pipkins lacked technique and confidence.

There should clearly be competition for RT either from a mid level vet or early draft pick but player development requires you to project out these kind of things.

a lot of young players improved last year. The staff stuck with Pipkins and he improved (he had his best 2 games of his career) when everyone had long given up. I'm willing to trust them on this.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Just a note about the 2022 draft that is interesting. It will be the first draft in which a majority of the players drafted were born in the 21st century. Most will have birthdates in the year 2000.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                    Tevi lacked play strength. Pipkins lacked technique and confidence.

There should clearly be competition for RT either from a mid level vet or early draft pick but player development requires you to project out these kind of things.

a lot of young players improved last year. The staff stuck with Pipkins and he improved (he had his best 2 games of his career) when everyone had long given up. I'm willing to trust them on this.
                    It's worth noting that the Pats OL in 2021 camp incl eight 6-7th rounders/ UDFAs. Three were projected starters.
                    NE has been one of, maybe THE Best at developing OL talent.
                    It can be done but takes time & the right coaching staff.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                      Just a note about the 2022 draft that is interesting. It will be the first draft in which a majority of the players drafted were born in the 21st century. Most will have birthdates in the year 2000.
                      Reba Mcentire Reaction GIF by CBS

Comment

• Parcells
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post

Speaking of Big Ten OL late round Charger picks: I remember a Michigan center and Mich St guard in the 7th. Would be interesting to see how many O Lineman from the 6th and 7th rounds have made a roster the last 30 years?
                        Shane Olivea RT slipped to the 6th because of injury. Those are the gems to find.
                        We actually got him in the 7th.

Comment

• Parcells
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

Pipkins should in no way be penciled in as the starter. He had two slightly above average games in 3 years. I'm fine with not cutting him, but if he's in line to be the starter we're in a lot of trouble. Prior to the last two games, Pipkins was the worst OT I've seen. And I've watched the Chargers trot out the likes of Sam Tevi and co. for the last 25 years of my life.
                          Remember, once upon a time Kris Dielman was loathed on one of the predecessors of this board. We pissed and moan about the playing time he was getting. Then he started to play decently. And eventually he became the anchor of the best Chargers offensive line of my lifetime.

Comment

Working...
                          X