Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Wood, how about penetrating AND being a stout run defender? Perrion Winfrey from TDN:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/perrion-winfrey
    He is not very stout. He has a lot of similarities to how Tillery plays. He needs to get better at using his hands on his 1st step and then don't avoid the blockers but use the leverage he gains on his 1st step against them.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Lower is better, but a tall player that can bend his knees and get low, and use his hands has a TON more leverage than a shorter player does. That is why so many tall players have been successful playing DT. There are also plenty of short players who neutralize their natural leverage by standing up on the 1st step and losing all their leverage. You can lift a ton and be powerful in the weight room, but a DL has zero (functional) strength when you stand up and give away leverage. You can't use the strength you have, no matter how much you have.

Tillery's problem is that he takes himself out. He gets sloppy with technique and doesn't stay square, or will dip a shoulder like he is going around, giving up any leverage he has. He stays low, but you also have to stay square to the guy in front of you.

Tillery is simply guessing at where he thinks the ball is, and then just goes after that guess. He needs to read his keys and play his assignment. Every time he guesses and overcommitts by jumping out of a hole, or allowing himself to be pushed past a hole, he is leaving an undefended part of the DL. And with every NFL team playing at least some zone running, the RB are just looking for those cutbacks into those gaps he leaves. Tillery isn't the only one doing it, but that is why our run D is so putrid.
      I don’t know about taller DTs can play as low as shorter ones. Aaron Donald is 6’1”, it works for him. Tillery is 6’6” but well noted your other comments on technique. I don’t think its either or, i think its one, other or both at varying times. And then on some plays he executes well.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

No to Perion Winfrey in the 2nd, no to Greg Gaines, no to jordan davis in the first

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Well that settles it.
          :shifty:
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Nobody gets to piss on my Reese's Puffs...no--body.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

What do the smart guys here think about Travis Jones, UCONN IDL in Rd3 or 4?
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• like54ninjas
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Great White North
                • Draftnik
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                What do the smart guys here think about Travis Jones, UCONN IDL in Rd3 or 4?
                Tape is impressive. Waiting to see him at the SeniorBowl.
                My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                K9
                Nasir
                Tillery
                Parham
                Reed

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Thank you for offering a Saints personnel POV, for the Chargers. It is just that, I agree. Wouldn't that Saints principle also apply to Daniel Faalele? I would think a case could be made that he isn't nimble enough to get out in front of Ekeler on a screen. I don't object to Faalele, the player, not saying that. But are the Chargers better served by going RT in the 1st Round?

That is where I am currently at. I want to know who the Chargers right tackle is in 2022.

Occasionally, with the drop-off talent at EDGE after the 1st Round, I break from that scenario and go in EDGE Jermaine Johnson in the 1st Round and OT Jaxson Kirkland in the 2nd, as being a pro player's kid carries alot of weight with me.

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Jaxson-Kirkland-OL-Washington

Trey Pipkens balled out yesterday at RT. If he works his ass off the off-season, Chargers could swing taking Jermaine Johnson in the 1st, RG Zion Johnson in the 2nd.
                  What up Michael Schofield? Did he finally put it all together. He’s had some good games for us this year. I think we have good depth at RG for next year without taking one early in the draft. Especially in the first.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                    Well that settles it.
                    :shifty:
                    Oh! I haven't finished.

More pronouncements on defensive tackles coming soon.
                    Coming up: Phidarian Mathis & John Ridgeway - when the mood strikes.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

What up Michael Schofield? Did he finally put it all together. He’s had some good games for us this year. I think we have good depth at RG for next year without taking one early in the draft. Especially in the first.
                      Schofield has been the darling of PFF ever since his first tour of duty with the Chargers.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I was told that he isn't very good...

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I was told that he isn't very good...
                          Scho wasn't anything special, 1st time around. He's a better than avg RG for us now. He may be holding down Jaimes position while he gets up to speed. The current OL coaches have done a good job with developing our OL depth.

Comment

Working...
                          X