• Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

I've been giving this some thought.
    What are we looking for at DT ?
    Conventional wisdom says Two Gap defenders with anchor.
    But wait a minute.
    What types of plays is Justin Jones making ?
    What types of plays does Aaron Donald make ?
    It's about penetrating. TFLs. Getting to Third and 7yards+.
    Then getting stops.
    I am doubling back to Perrion Winfrey love in round two.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
      But wait a minute.
      Then getting stops.
      He wins 1v1 matchups at a very high rate.
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• UtahBolt
        Did we win?
        • Jun 2013
        • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
        • Send PM

Pac-12 leader in rushing touchdowns (21), Tavion Thomas announced he is coming back to the Utes next year. Big bruiser of a back with over a 1000 yards but needs an extra year of polishing. Good choice for him.
        I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

In the only Aztec game, I saw this year the offense was humming and I didn't get to see this guy punt more than once or twice, so I don't know a lot about him. But, judging by the comments, he sounds like a weapon.

That makes me think about some very good punters from the past and I think a really good punter is worth an early pick. If he's that good, I'd use a third round pick on him. He'll solve a position for the next 15 years.
          Early games there a lot of 3 and outs and he was booming 60+, with occasional 80 because the field was long. Late in season he had a lot of punts from at or just over the 50, and he’d lay it in between the 5 and 10 really consistently but the stat sheet would say 40 yard punt and it brought his avg down to the low 50s overall. The only reason his avg dropped was because of short fields or his avg would have been over 55. And with good hang, coverage was there when it came down usually.

I watched every play of the season. horrid offense all year primarily due to really bad QB play, oddly exploded in the bowl game. Game after game he’d flip field position simply by each side 3-and-out and he’d net +20 vs the other punter. He was voted their most valuable player. A punter. Oh, also placekicker - really strong leg but he only hit around 70%, nobody will draft him for just PK
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

But wait a minute.
            Then getting stops.
            I hope we're not looking for Aaron Donald... because there is only one Aaron Donald.
            Hopefully, Justin Jones will be back. Our run defense is much better with him in the lineup.
            NT is the position we should focus on.
            Sebastian Joseph-Day: 6'4" 310 (6th round)
            Greg Gaines. 6'1" 312 (4th round).

In the 2nd round, I'm grabbing a RT to protect the franchise.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
              Grammar Police
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Jamal Williams would not have been available after the third round even if he was not a sup draft pick. It you want a 3/4 NT your looking for a second third round talent at worst unless you expect to develop him for the first season or three. If you want a one or two down NT just a run stopper, you can get those guys in later rounds but they do not always pan out...
              Go Rivers!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I hope we're not looking for Aaron Donald... because there is only one Aaron Donald.
                Hopefully, Justin Jones will be back. Our run defense is much better with him in the lineup.
                NT is the position we should focus on.
                Sebastian Joseph-Day: 6'4" 310 (6th round)
                Greg Gaines. 6'1" 312 (4th round).

In the 2nd round, I'm grabbing a RT to protect the franchise.
                I like 6’1” @310 for inside. I think Tillery’s problem is he gets stood up and loses leverage too often because of his height. Just a theory. Lower is better in the middle of the trench, Gaines game tape shows he understands that concept of getting under the OL’s pads as an advantage
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• chargeroo
                  Fan since 1961
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Oregon
                  • Retired Manager/Pastor
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Early games there a lot of 3 and outs and he was booming 60+, with occasional 80 because the field was long. Late in season he had a lot of punts from at or just over the 50, and he’d lay it in between the 5 and 10 really consistently but the stat sheet would say 40 yard punt and it brought his avg down to the low 50s overall. The only reason his avg dropped was because of short fields or his avg would have been over 55. And with good hang, coverage was there when it came down usually.

I watched every play of the season. horrid offense all year primarily due to really bad QB play, oddly exploded in the bowl game. Game after game he’d flip field position simply by each side 3-and-out and he’d net +20 vs the other punter. He was voted their most valuable player. A punter. Oh, also placekicker - really strong leg but he only hit around 70%, nobody will draft him for just PK
                  He sure sounds like someone we'd like to see on our team. Worth spending a three on, imo. Charger fans have certainly seen the importance of special teams. Look what a difference having a good dependable return man has made for us. A punter this good can do the same.
                  THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

But wait a minute.
                    Then getting stops.
                    Wood, how about penetrating AND being a stout run defender? Perrion Winfrey from TDN:

Perrion Winfrey is a former JUCO transfer that transferred into the Oklahoma Sooner football program in 2020. Winfrey worked his way into the starting lineup and has been the starter for the Sooner defense for the last two years. Winfrey has good size and length that allows the Sooner defensive staff to line him in multiple positions along the defensive line—everywhere from a 0-technique to a 5-technique. Winfrey’s versatility has translated to on-the-field production, recording more than five sacks, 20 tackles, and multiple QB pressures. Winfrey is an athletic defensive lineman that has an explosive first step that he uses to penetrate backfields and cause havoc. His most disruptive play comes when he correctly slants into the offensive play and is able to get backfield penetration resulting in a tackle for loss. At Oklahoma, Winfrey is undoubtedly the best defensive lineman on the Sooners’ defense and that’s the main reason why he is utilized in so many positions. In the NFL, Winfrey will thrive once he is able to settle into one position and learn the techniques of the specific position. That will allow him to further develop some of the raw traits (pass rush and hand counters). Â

Ideal Role: A gap penetrator that uses his first step to disrupt plays in the backfield.Â

Scheme Fit: 4-3 scheme 3-tech or 5-tech against heavy run teams. Heavy slant team, attacking defense. Â

FILM EVALUATION

Written by Keith Sanchez

Games watched: Baylor (2021), West Virginia (2021), Oklahoma State (2021) , Texas (2021)Â Â

Best Game Studied: Oklahoma State (2021)Â

Worst Game Studied: West Virginia (2021)Â

First Step Explosiveness: Winfrey has a quick first step that he uses to get gap penetration and make disruptive plays in the backfield. Winfrey’s quick initial first step is on display in this Oklahoma defense that likes to slant into plays to cause disruption. His first step also allows him to gain leverage on offensive linemen who are trying to reach-block him in zone blocking schemes. Winfrey is able to beat them to the spot and force the backs to cut back into the flow of the defense. Â

Flexibility: Winfrey is an athletic defensive lineman that has great change of direction. Winfrey’s flexibility is on full display in his ability to stretch out zone run plays by running along the line of scrimmage, maintaining gap integrity. Winfrey’s athleticism benefits him in his pass-rush sequence also, as he is able to get upfield and quickly redirect to evade offensive linemen and get pressure on the quarterback.Â

Hand Counters: At this point in Winfrey's development, his most consistent hand usage technique consists of a swim move, violent rip move, and he flashed the ability to execute a push-pull maneuver. In the run game, he can shed offensive linemen quickly to follow the ball-carrier. Winfrey’s hand usage is present but can be further developed to make him a more technically sound defensive lineman.Â

Hand Power: Winfrey flashes powerful hands at the point of attack. Has the strong hands to get extension and quickly shed defenders to make a play on the ball-carrier. Has a violent rip move that he uses to get backfield penetration on offensive linemen. Â

Run Defending: Winfrey plays multiple positions along the defensive line and his ability to properly play the run is determined by what position he is in. When he is directly head up over the center, he is able to take advantage of smaller offensive linemen and quickly get extension and shed him. When lined up at a 4i and he has to take on double teams, he struggles to hold the point of attack and he often gives up ground along the line of scrimmage. As a 5-tech or 3-tech when he has to play the edge of an offensive lineman, he is the most effective and able to maintain gap integrity throughout the duration of the play. Â

Effort: His motor is evident through the effort he displays on every play. Winfrey has made multiple plays chasing down plays backside or running 20-plus yards down the field. He starts the play with great effort and finishes throughout the play. While he isn't able to hold the point of attack against double teams, he fights throughout the duration of the play. Winfrey is a scrappy player that works to make plays and gives good effort throughout the entirety of the game.Â

Football IQ: The Sooners play Winfrey in just about every gap alignment possible within a defense and this is a testament to his football IQ. Generally has a strong understanding of what blocks are trying to be performed on him, which can be difficult to understand for a player who plays multiple defensive line positions. Has a great feel of the zone-blocking scheme and immediately triggers to turn and run to maintain leverage on offensive linemen. Â

Lateral Mobility: Winfrey has faced multiple zone blocking schemes that force defensive linemen to move laterally and Winfrey has defended them well. Has a quick first step followed by fluid hips that allows him to extend down the line of scrimmage. Winfrey also has the ability to change direction to redirect and chase down backs in the backfield.Â

Core/Functional Strength: Generates most of his power against the run from his quick first step. Has the functional strength to lock and shed offensive linemen, but struggles to hold the point of attack against double teams. In his pass rush, he can convert speed to power and bull rush offensive linemen to get to the quarterback. Â

Versatility: In the Sooner defense, Winfrey's overall body mass allows for him to play multiple positions along the defensive line. He has the length to play as a defensive end and is strong enough to engage with the interior of offensive lines. Though he has a versatile skill set, Winfrey will be best suited to play in an attacking 4-3 scheme where he can use his quick first step to get upfield and become a disruptive defender. Â

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Wood, how about penetrating AND being a stout run defender?
                      Unicorn.
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

I like 6’1” @310 for inside. I think Tillery’s problem is he gets stood up and loses leverage too often because of his height. Just a theory. Lower is better in the middle of the trench, Gaines game tape shows he understands that concept of getting under the OL’s pads as an advantage
                        Yes, staying low is very important @NT. Gaines was a target of mine. But Sebastian Joseph-Day is a 6'4" 6th rounder that stays low and fits what the Rams do @NT (occupy blockers, keep LB's and safeties clean, and move laterally down the line well). It doesn't have to be a 1st or 2nd round prospect to do the job that Staley needs done @NT.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

Lower is better, but a tall player that can bend his knees and get low, and use his hands has a TON more leverage than a shorter player does. That is why so many tall players have been successful playing DT. There are also plenty of short players who neutralize their natural leverage by standing up on the 1st step and losing all their leverage. You can lift a ton and be powerful in the weight room, but a DL has zero (functional) strength when you stand up and give away leverage. You can't use the strength you have, no matter how much you have.

Tillery's problem is that he takes himself out. He gets sloppy with technique and doesn't stay square, or will dip a shoulder like he is going around, giving up any leverage he has. He stays low, but you also have to stay square to the guy in front of you.

Tillery is simply guessing at where he thinks the ball is, and then just goes after that guess. He needs to read his keys and play his assignment. Every time he guesses and overcommitts by jumping out of a hole, or allowing himself to be pushed past a hole, he is leaving an undefended part of the DL. And with every NFL team playing at least some zone running, the RB are just looking for those cutbacks into those gaps he leaves. Tillery isn't the only one doing it, but that is why our run D is so putrid.

Comment

Working...
                          X