Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I don’t know about taller DTs can play as low as shorter ones. Aaron Donald is 6’1”, it works for him. Tillery is 6’6” but well noted your other comments on technique. I don’t think its either or, i think its one, other or both at varying times. And then on some plays he executes well.
    It doesn't matter if Tillery can get as low as Donald. Donald can probably get lower than almost any other DT of this era, but that is because he is a generational talent. The point is can Tillery get low enough to play with leverage. See below.

Great DT from the past (plus a few Chargers)
    Alan Page 6'4"
    Bob Lilly 6'5"
    Kieth Millard 6'6" (had 20 sacks for Minn in the 1980s as the first true 3 tech DT).
    Bill Pickell 6'5" - Pro Bowl NT for the Raiders in the 1980s
    Ted Washington 6'5" - All pro NT for NE, Buffalo, and SF.
    Bob Baumhower 6'5" -NT for the Famed Killer B's DL for the Dolphins
    Gerald McCoy 6'4"
    Louie Kelcher 6'5"
    Joe Phillips 6'5"
    Deforest Buckner 6'7" - not great yet, but playing at a high level the last 2 years.
    Leon Lett 6'6"
    Chris Jones 6'6" - 2nd best interior DL in football now.
    Derek Wolfe 6'6"
    Luther Elliss 6'5"
    Chad Henning 6'6"
    Eric Swann 6'5"
    Earl Edwards 6'7" - all-pro numerous times in the 1970s.
    Stephon Tuitt 6'6" - 11 sacks in 2020
    Santana Dotson 6'6" - starter on GB SB teams in the late '90s
    Merlin Olson 6'5" - HOF DT for the Rams
    Ernie Ladd 6'9"
    Buck Buchannon 6'7" - HOF and the most dominant DT of his time. Was so hard to block because of his combination of long arms and leverage that the Raiders drafted Gene Upshaw to play opposite him, even though at the time more people considered Upshaw too tall to play OG (he went on to the HOF too, even though he is 6'5").

That list is off the top of my head, it is in no way comprehensive. There are plenty of great players and notice there are a lot of NT in that group.

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Oh! I haven't finished.

More pronouncements on defensive tackles coming soon.
      Coming up: Phidarian Mathis & John Ridgeway - when the mood strikes.
      I'm a big John Ridgeway honk. His stack-and-shed skill matrix is nuttier than squirrel shiate. I posted tape of him with the Redbirds.

Hello, Leo Chenal. Wow.

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Hello, Leo Chenal. Wow.
        8 sacks, 17.5 TFL (same 1.6/game as Devin Lloyd)

5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

It doesn't matter if Tillery can get as low as Donald. Donald can probably get lower than almost any other DT of this era, but that is because he is a generational talent. The point is can Tillery get low enough to play with leverage. See below.

Great DT from the past (plus a few Chargers)
          Alan Page 6'4"
          Bob Lilly 6'5"
          Kieth Millard 6'6" (had 20 sacks for Minn in the 1980s as the first true 3 tech DT).
          Bill Pickell 6'5" - Pro Bowl NT for the Raiders in the 1980s
          Ted Washington 6'5" - All pro NT for NE, Buffalo, and SF.
          Bob Baumhower 6'5" -NT for the Famed Killer B's DL for the Dolphins
          Gerald McCoy 6'4"
          Louie Kelcher 6'5"
          Joe Phillips 6'5"
          Deforest Buckner 6'7" - not great yet, but playing at a high level the last 2 years.
          Leon Lett 6'6"
          Chris Jones 6'6" - 2nd best interior DL in football now.
          Derek Wolfe 6'6"
          Luther Elliss 6'5"
          Chad Henning 6'6"
          Eric Swann 6'5"
          Earl Edwards 6'7" - all-pro numerous times in the 1970s.
          Stephon Tuitt 6'6" - 11 sacks in 2020
          Santana Dotson 6'6" - starter on GB SB teams in the late '90s
          Merlin Olson 6'5" - HOF DT for the Rams
          Ernie Ladd 6'9"
          Buck Buchannon 6'7" - HOF and the most dominant DT of his time. Was so hard to block because of his combination of long arms and leverage that the Raiders drafted Gene Upshaw to play opposite him, even though at the time more people considered Upshaw too tall to play OG (he went on to the HOF too, even though he is 6'5").

That list is off the top of my head, it is in no way comprehensive. There are plenty of great players and notice there are a lot of NT in that group.
          Personally I prefer tall long armed players. They get one arm on you and extend it, they own you. Get as low as you want, if you can’t get your hands on a guy you can’t outleverage him.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

I'm a big John Ridgeway honk. His stack-and-shed skill matrix is nuttier than squirrel shiate. I posted tape of him with the Redbirds.

Hello, Leo Chenal. Wow.
            Yup. I've mocked old Leo many a time. There are some really good LB's in the 3rd/4th round range. Chad Muma, Brandon Smith, Leo Chenel, and Quay Walker are my favorites in the 3rd/4th range. Some may say, "those guys will never fall that far". But the truth is... this draft class is loaded with LB depth. Guys will fall.

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Scho wasn't anything special, 1st time around. He's a better than avg RG for us now. He may be holding down Jaimes position while he gets up to speed. The current OL coaches have done a good job with developing our OL depth.
              "You are only as good as your last game" someone told me. Well, right now, Scho is an 84 as rated by PFF. And if you go back and watch his last 3-4 games, you'll find that he's no resemblance to the player he was at the beginning of the year (straight off the streets). I challenge you to keep your eye on him today during the Raiders game.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                Draftnik
                • Oct 2020
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

"You are only as good as your last game" someone told me. Well, right now, Scho is an 84 as rated by PFF. And if you go back and watch his last 3-4 games, you'll find that he's no resemblance to the player he was at the beginning of the year (straight off the streets). I challenge you to keep your eye on him today during the Raiders game.
                By that logic Burrow is a better QB than Herbert.

How dare you, sir!

Joking aside, I think a player’s most recent game holds more weight than any other single game they’ve played, but it doesn’t out-weigh their entire body of work.

Personally, I’ll maintain that Schofield is an excellent depth piece, but he’s not the future at RG.
                Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

I’d hold that Scho is as good as any OG we’ll find in the 3rd or later in this year’s draft.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                    I’d hold that Scho is as good as any OG we’ll find in the 3rd or later in this year’s draft.
                    I agree. We'll see what it takes to re-sign Scho in the off-season. But it would be nice to have that position locked down (whether Schofield or Aboushi) by draft time.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
                      By that logic Burrow is a better QB than Herbert.

How dare you, sir!

Joking aside, I think a player’s most recent game holds more weight than any other single game they’ve played, but it doesn’t out-weigh their entire body of work.

Personally, I’ll maintain that Schofield is an excellent depth piece, but he’s not the future at RG.
                      Right now... he is. Herbie has to take better care of the ball.
                      It is what it is...
                      Schofield is the better RG right now. Jaimes doesn't even get a sniff... I'm not buying from "no sniff" to "protect the franchise" in an off-season.

"I'll see it when I believe it" -PM

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                        Draftnik
                        • Oct 2020
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Right now... he is. Herbie has to take better care of the ball.
                        It is what it is...
                        Schofield is the better RG right now. Jaimes doesn't even get a sniff... I'm not buying from "no sniff" to "protect the franchise" in an off-season.

"I'll see it when I believe it" -PM
                        Re: Herbert vs. Burrow

I think we’re looking at it two different ways, which is fine.

The way I see it, if I’m the GM of an expansion team and I can poach either Herbert or Burrow as the QB of my franchise, I’m taking Herbert 10/10 regardless of how either of them played over one week of the season.

Thats just my opinion.
                        Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

I think we’re looking at it two different ways, which is fine.

The way I see it, if I’m the GM of an expansion team and I can poach either Herbert or Burrow as the QB of my franchise, I’m taking Herbert 10/10 regardless of how either of them played over one week of the season.

Thats just my opinion.

Both are very good.

Comment

Working...
                          X