• Show
Clear All
  • Boltinloudguy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
    Players who made some money today.

Shrine Bowl Practice Report: Risers and Sliders from Day 1 include Charleston Rambo, Bamidele Olaseni, and Darien Butler

Which players stood out the most during the first practice at the East-West Shrine Bowl, and how much stock did these risers gain?

ByCam Mellor
    January 29, 2022

The 2022 East-West Shrine Bowl officially kicked off on Saturday, bringing with it the sound of cracking pads for the thousands of scouts, team officials, and media members in attendance. After a terrific first day of practice on the field, there were certainly a fair amount of takeaways from both the East and West teams. Here, however, we’ll highlight the top Shrine Bowl risers from the first day of action as we move closer to the 2022 NFL Draft, as well as maybe one player who will look to rebound in the subsequent days of practice this weekend.

Shrine Bowl Practice No. 1 Risers

A beautiful morning in Las Vegas gave way to some exquisite action on the field. Here are our top risers from the first practice of the Shrine Bowl.

Bamidele Olaseni, OT, Utah

Arguably the biggest riser of the whole day, Utah’s Bamidele Olaseni was dominant all session long. He worked at both right and left tackle spots in one-on-one drills. Bam also rotated into both guards spots at certain times, showing his willingness to put his skills on display.

He already made headlines with his massive 88′ 3/8″ wingspan and backed that up with stellar performances in every drill. Olaseni’s feet were particularly impressive as he never lost balance or looked out of control. He contacted defenders first and even spent time honing his craft when not in the action. It was a commanding showing.

Darien Butler, LB, Arizona State

Surprising to no one who watched his tape, Arizona State LB Darien Butler really wowed people in attendance during practice No. 1. Whether it was filling run gaps or patrolling the middle of the field in coverage, Butler did it all in team drills. He looked light on his feet and quick to react.

He was always moving forward in the run game and never lost any ground in the passing drills. Butler led whatever unit he was with whenever he was on the field.

Kyler McMichael, CB, North Carolina

Making the best play of any defender during the first practice, Kyler McMichael put his name on the map officially. During team drills, McMichael closed space between him and his receiver on a post route from off coverage. He closed the space, jumped the route, and made a dramatic pass breakup that sent the defensive sidelines into a frenzy.

Featured Story
    2022 7-Round NFL Mock Draft: David Ojabo, Travon Walker take over EDGE class

McMichael showcased great feet in agility drills and sure hands in individual sessions. The production on very limited snaps in team drills is something to take note of for McMichael here. He was on point all session long.

Charleston Rambo, WR, Miami (FL)

Unguardable for essentially the entire practice, Miami (FL) WR Charleston Rambo was dominant all over the field. Whether it was the release drill off the line that he continually won or sure hands during passing drills, Rambo absolutely turned heads.

But Rambo’s best moment came in team drills where he made the best play of the day for the offensive units. Beating his defensive back off the line of scrimmage, Rambo adjusted his route on a deep go ball, tracked it perfectly, and made a leaping snag in between two defenders. It would have been called back in a real game due to an illegal motion, but the catch was nonetheless spectacular.

Matthew Butler, DT, Tennessee

Proving to be too quick and too strong for most that stood in front of him, Matthew Butler won with a variety of pass-rush skills during the first practice. Butler was strong when he needed to, blowing up anchor attempts from the offensive line.

Yet, he was also speedy enough to use a push-and-pull move where he gave a strong arm, pulled back, and ran right by linemen at times as well. It was a dominant showing, perhaps the most dominant of the defensive linemen who played specifically on the interior during the practice.

Xavier Newman-Johnson, OL, Baylor

Proving to have it all, Baylor interior lineman Xavier Newman-Johnson had an imposing showing. He anchored well and moved in the run game even better. Newman-Johnson showcased a great strength and base as well as terrific balance through contact.

Linemen often don’t get credit for their wins unless they’re pancaking defenders. But in Newman-Johnson’s case, the cheer for “X” was all too prevalent every time he won a rep. And he won a lot.

Myron Tagovailoa-Amosa, DL, Notre Dame

Playing in-between positions, it seems, Notre Dame DL Myron Taogvailoa-Amosarotated from edge to interior all session long. Yet, it didn’t matter.

Tagovailoa-Amosa won no matter where he lined up. He used a quick spin to destroy tackles to the quarterback spot. Then, he showcased strength going against guards as he consistently bull rushed linemen back into the spot.

His highlight-reel moment came when he pulled off the most impressive spin move of the day. Tagovailoa-Amosa clubbed the lineman with a heavy fist and spun inside to his left, beating the guard within two seconds of the snap. It was impressive and received a just reaction from those watching.

Chigoziem Okonkwo, TE, Maryland

A possession receiver in a tight end’s body, Chigoziem Okonkwo was dominant in individual drills as well as in team and 7-on-7 drills. He proved to be too much for linebackers to stick with and routinely made plays over defensive backs. Okonkwo put on quite a show for Maryland this season, and he’s continued that so far in Vegas.

Having spoken to PFN, Okonkwo also showcased what makes him special: his versatility. He routinely mixed it up in the run game during team drills, finding first- and second-level defenders with ease. That willingness to do it all as a tight end will pay off in spades for Okonkwo.

Thomas Booker, DL, Stanford

Moving for such a big man, Thomas Booker was beating his own teammates in individual drills. Including teammates who were much smaller, Booker was a monster all day long, winning just about everything he did. He was terrific on the inside, pushing guards or centers into the pocket with ease.

Booker also showcased great hand usage and even better feet on the pass-rush drills. He also came downhill in the run game well and showcased versatility as he lined up all the way from 7-tech to 0-tech in the session.

Hayden Howerton, OL, SMU

It didn’t matter who was in front of him, Hayden Howerton gave them all he had. He pulled well in the run game when called upon and gave interior linemen fits in pass protection. Howerton certainly showcased strength and balance in one-on-one drills, putting forth a pancake block on one of his trail-away blocks.

He reached well and played all around the interior of the offensive line from right guard to left with some center reps in there as well. Howerton more than backed up our first-team All-AAC selection of his this season.

Shrine Bowl Practice No. 1 Sliders

As with any event of this kind, there are bound to be some players who will need to rebound after a sluggish showing. Rather than call them out by name, we’ll use this here to showcase what they can do to have a better showing the rest of the time out.

Quarterbacks struggle

It wasn’t the best showing from the quarterbacks as a whole. Each quarterback had a few nice throws in sporadic nature, but each fumbled snaps under center and from the shotgun. Some quarterbacks were slow to make reads, while others were slow to get the ball from Point A to Point B.

Getting the ball out quicker and making progressive reads will go a long way at showcasing not only the ability to rebound but also linear growth. Showcasing that they can take coaching and implement it on the field will go a long way for one of these six quarterbacks to hear their name called in April.

Butler is definitely a DT I’ve been reading and keeping an eye one. If they don’t go DT in the 1st and Butler is there in the 3rd, I’d say take him. He would be great in the rotation.

1st rd DL Travon Walker
    2nd rd OT Abraham Lucas
    3rd rd DT Mathew Butler
    4th rd CB Mychael Wright
    5th rd S Smoke Monday or S Bryan Cook

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

FYI WR small schooler Romeo Doubs catches really well in traffic
      has speed to stretch the D
      AND has YAC ability

Check check check
      Last edited by 21&500; 01-30-2022, 09:30 AM.
      2024: Far From Over

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post

I think Pip and Storm should be battling it out in training camp to be tackles 3 & 4.
        So, with no other OT to compete against a new RT, they would just get the job and not have to complete for the spot? That sounds completely stupid to me. That is how teams spend a lot of capital and fail to fix positions.

Comment

• equivocation
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

So, with no other OT to compete against a new RT, they would just get the job and not have to complete for the spot? That sounds completely stupid to me. That is how teams spend a lot of capital and fail to fix positions.
          In this case Pipkins would have to be competing for OT2. He's still young.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Interesting sleepers here. Like the RBs
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

In this case Pipkins would have to be competing for OT2. He's still young.
              I don't have a problem with letting Norton and Pipkins compete for the RT spot. Ideally, you would like a vet RT to compete too, but that seems unlikely given how few RT types there are who are good enough to have a realistic shot.

There are really only 4 choices to play RT unless we convert a LT type. Trent Brown, Morgan Moses, Norton or Pipkins.

Brandon Shell is another, not very serious option. He got a 2yr, $9 mill deal from Seattle, but has never finished a season healthy since he got to be good enough to play regularly. And still has the occasional game where he gets beaten badly.

Reiley Reiff will be 33, and is coming off a season-ending injury, and got something like $8 mill last season.

Germain Ifedi is getting some notice and has player better lately, but it is hard to forget how horrible he was for Seattle when he was taken in the 1st round. And he was on a bad line, and still couldn't find a way to help them fix it, despite experience at OG and OT.

There are a couple of LT typed. Cam Robinson has not exactly been consistent, and would want LT money (and will be courted by other teams at LT). Eric Fischer is coming off his Achilles injury. Orlando Brown might play, but again, wants LT money. Duane Brown has been a good LT, but again wants LT money, and he is 35. Jason Peters is 39. Teron Armstead is the Saints former LT, and has been averaging $13mill per year.

Comment

• equivocation
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2021
                • Send PM

I don't have a problem with letting Norton and Pipkins compete for the RT spot. Ideally, you would like a vet RT to compete too, but that seems unlikely given how few RT types there are who are good enough to have a realistic shot.

There are really only 4 choices to play RT unless we convert a LT type. Trent Brown, Morgan Moses, Norton or Pipkins.

Brandon Shell is another, not very serious option. He got a 2yr, $9 mill deal from Seattle, but has never finished a season healthy since he got to be good enough to play regularly. And still has the occasional game where he gets beaten badly.

Reiley Reiff will be 33, and is coming off a season-ending injury, and got something like $8 mill last season.

Germain Ifedi is getting some notice and has player better lately, but it is hard to forget how horrible he was for Seattle when he was taken in the 1st round. And he was on a bad line, and still couldn't find a way to help them fix it, despite experience at OG and OT.

There are a couple of LT typed. Cam Robinson has not exactly been consistent, and would want LT money (and will be courted by other teams at LT). Eric Fischer is coming off his Achilles injury. Orlando Brown might play, but again, wants LT money. Duane Brown has been a good LT, but again wants LT money, and he is 35. Jason Peters is 39. Teron Armstead is the Saints former LT, and has been averaging $13mill per year.
                I would be willing to bet on an Ifedi vs Pipkins competition producing a good RT. Ifedi is still young and improving and sometimes guys play better as the last piece rather than the first piece. And I like what Frank Smith is doing.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

I would be willing to bet on an Ifedi vs Pipkins competition producing a good RT. Ifedi is still young and improving and sometimes guys play better as the last piece rather than the first piece. And I like what Frank Smith is doing.
                  I don't know if you can count on that, but it does work out that way sometimes. Anyway, the key thing is the competition thing, and that would be a pretty good battle. It just might tie up a lot of cap space in a guy who becomes a backup. I have zero problems with it, but I know many would.

I like the idea of bringing in Ifedi in the sense that he has played some at OG, before sliding back to RT for the Bears. They intended him to be whichever Long played OG for them, but when injuries disrupted the lineup, Ifedi let them shift to play RT. Given his history at the position, he was kinda putting his neck out there, but it worked out.

I think the key part is giving guys a chance to earn their job. I will say it a million times, but the FA thing is mostly flawed because of how the teams bring in players and then just GIVE them jobs. The most successful FA teams are those that have a lot of competition and are clear that they will dump anyone who doesn't perform. I mean, you can't pull every player who has a bad game and put them on the street, but players have to know that we have limits to how much we can deal with. Players can't make the same mistakes over and over again, and you are only safe long enough for us to get around to filling the roster spot.

Comment

• Fleet 1
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kauai
                    • Send PM

Just wanted to say to all of you im sorry things worked out so crappy with Ninja. He was a valuable draft guy here. His draft takes will be missed.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post
                      Just wanted to say to all of you im sorry things worked out so crappy with Ninja. He was a valuable draft guy here. His draft takes will be missed.
                      Yes they will. I'm shocked he is vocal about certain things and I didn't see his response to Roo but yes, he will be missed on the draft front.

​​​​​​And on that note, I miss your takes on the draft as well. Usually very involved and not so much last year. I know you have things going on, .... or did. Hope to see more from you if possible especially since we lost Ninja.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2020
                        • Oklahoma
                        • Send PM

You missed my point. They are signed to Charger friendly contracts, if they don't perform they get cut.
                        If all goes according to my plan the new right tackle is the 2nd, 3rd, or 1st round pick. Hopefully Storm and Pip make the roster and we actually have some depth.
                        I don't see the Chargers ever making a Super Bowl with either starting despite what the Bengals accomplished today.

Comment

• Fleet 1
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Kauai
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Yes they will. I'm shocked he is vocal about certain things and I didn't see his response to Roo but yes, he will be missed on the draft front.

​​​​​​And on that note, I miss your takes on the draft as well. Usually very involved and not so much last year. I know you have things going on, .... or did. Hope to see more from you if possible especially since we lost Ninja.
                          Yeah a totally new life. lol Ill do my best. But it was so easy when you are a single father of 2 kids and always home. I literally put my social life aside to raise them. Now im a free agent. lol Trying to have some fun with my life and break away from the laptop. lol

I should be more active this year.

Comment

Working...
                          X