• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

The Bills are probably the best team at extending the play so their players can run crossing routes across the formation. Those crossing patterns DESTROY man coverage. NE just loves to beat the crap out of WR by pressing them at the line. Buffalo just kept coming back and got Allen enough time, and then he did a good job of sliding around in the pocket to give his crossers time to break open. Those patterns were just impossible for NE to cover man to man.

THere is a reason football coaches call crossing routes man beaters.
    There is a danger to running a lot of crossing routes...that of a high speed head-on collision with a safety or LB...

Comment

• Caslon
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2019
      • Send PM

SB owners, winners… extend contracts, no matter… :bertstare:

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

There is a danger to running a lot of crossing routes...that of a high speed head-on collision with a safety or LB...
        It also forces the QB to hold the ball a long time and they aren't effective against disciplined zone teams. Staley D was so successful when he coached for the Rams in large part because had a lot of simple adjustments and coverages that simply eliminates a lot of crossing routes and concepts.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

The problem with the Pipkin + Late Rd RT strategy is we won’t see him play again until looooong after the draft and most FA signings is over/. TT bet 2021 on the Center-Left Fix + Beluga-the-Beached-Whale returning to the sea … and that fish never swam.

So what do the coaches know that kept them from starting him at end of last season where we all briefly saw a RT play much better than Norton? This paradox gnaws at my innards …
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• chargeroo
            Fan since 1961
            • Jan 2019
            • Oregon
            • Retired Manager/Pastor
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
            The problem with the Pipkin + Late Rd RT strategy is we won’t see him play again until looooong after the draft and most FA signings is over/. TT bet 2021 on the Center-Left Fix + Beluga-the-Beached-Whale returning to the sea … and that fish never swam.

So what do the coaches know that kept them from starting him at end of last season where we all briefly saw a RT play much better than Norton? This paradox gnaws at my innards …
            We all saw Pipkins play well in his one start at RT, but something doesn't seem right.
            Just the fact that they never put Pipkins in for that raiders game when it was clear that Norton was over-matched, makes me believe they better bring in someone else to play RT.
            I'd probably keep both Pipkins and Norton for backups but I'd sure want someone else to be my RT to protect Herbert.
            THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Pipkins not playing vs the Raiders is probably due to:

1). If you bench Norton he had been playing well up to that point (improving over the course of the season), so you would be benching an ascending player due to injury (or injury and covid in this case). In either case, if Norton is fairly popular in the locker room, it is not a good vibe for the locker room.

2). Teams rarely interrupt a lineup on an OL that is playing well together. This is because of all the communication needed between players (spoken and unspoken). I don't think they wanted to take a risk against Croby who is one of the hottest DE in the NFL right now.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Steve, everything you are saying here makes perfect, logical, football sense.

However, a compelling argument for playing Pip can be made. Mad Maxx is clearly in Norton's head. Pipkins flashed. He may just be our long term answer at ORT. It surprises the F out of me, but what the hey ?

Then there is K9 vs Kyzir @ LVR.
                The fact is, the Chargers are world famous for bat shit crazy personnel decisions, and ,apparently, StaleyD is hitting the ground running on that. It all needs splainin'.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Pipkins not playing vs the Raiders is probably due to:

1). If you bench Norton he had been playing well up to that point (improving over the course of the season), so you would be benching an ascending player due to injury (or injury and covid in this case). In either case, if Norton is fairly popular in the locker room, it is not a good vibe for the locker room.

2). Teams rarely interrupt a lineup on an OL that is playing well together. This is because of all the communication needed between players (spoken and unspoken). I don't think they wanted to take a risk against Croby who is one of the hottest DE in the NFL right now.
                  Also, maybe the Bolts were saving Pip in case Slater got injured...

Comment

• Fleet 1
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kauai
                    • Send PM

Should i put the roster build in the main forum? Maybe merge it with our draft thread? Or merge with our offseason discussion?

Should i merge the draft thread in the draft forum with the draft thread in our main forum?

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post
                      Should i put the roster build in the main forum? Maybe merge it with our draft thread? Or merge with our offseason discussion?

Should i merge the draft thread in the draft forum with the draft thread in our main forum?
                      Sure, why not? Then leave the Draft Super Thread in the main forum...

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

We all saw Pipkins play well in his one start at RT, but something doesn't seem right.
                        Just the fact that they never put Pipkins in for that raiders game when it was clear that Norton was over-matched, makes me believe they better bring in someone else to play RT.
                        I'd probably keep both Pipkins and Norton for backups but I'd sure want someone else to be my RT to protect Herbert.
                        Lombardi lost that game with his choices
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Fleet 1
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Kauai
                          • Send PM

Merged into superdraft thread lol

Comment

Working...
                          X