• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

I hope you’re able to invite Ninja back after a “time out.” Forgiveness is a wonderful thing.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Fleet 1
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Kauai
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
      I hope you’re able to invite Ninja back after a “time out.” Forgiveness is a wonderful thing.
      Forgiveness is great. But when someone just repeatedly crosses the line you draw? I dont want to babysit this place. Freedom is also a wonderful thing. lol

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post

You missed my point. They are signed to Charger friendly contracts, if they don't perform they get cut.
        If all goes according to my plan the new right tackle is the 2nd, 3rd, or 1st round pick. Hopefully Storm and Pip make the roster and we actually have some depth.
        I don't see the Chargers ever making a Super Bowl with either starting despite what the Bengals accomplished today.
        I am pretty sure I did. I don't think what you said was clear, but I responded to what you said.

When you said 3rd and 4th OT, those are backup OT only. You know, 2 starting OT, 1 swing OT (3rd OT), a swing OT/OG (4th OT) plus 1 C/OG swing (8th OL). We won't know if they are going to carry more OL than that, at least until we see the roster makeup. And if we do, it is likely to be someone like James. But again, not letting them compete, is frankly not letting them compete. There is no other way to put it.

I don't see us getting a RT who is going to be able to start, unless we target them as FA, and I have covered that in other threads, that it seems unlikely to upgrade over Pipkins or Norton. The top OT prospects are all going to go pretty fast in the draft this year, so 1st round is likely to be out. By the time you go to 2nd or later, you can't count on them to start, at least not in year 1. More importantly, you still NEED Pipkins and Norton to compete for the starting job. Again, we could take a RT with the 1st pick in the draft, I would still want them to compete to win the job.

The NFL usually gives starting jobs to high draft picks or FA. And it is very hit and miss. There should be very little wonder why. Competition is the way to FORCE players to do everything they can to make themselves better. Pipkins did it this year because I think he was finally getting it that he was on the fast track to getting cut. But he got his head out of his ass in time, and seems to on the right track. Letting him compete lets him know that he needs to not only continue, but also tells Norton and/or every other player the same thing. Do the things you need to do to make yourself a good player or else. You can always go and review the Marcellus Wiley story if you want an example of a vet who became a FA and forgot.

But if you are really letting them compete, either Norton or Pipkins could very easily win the 2nd OT spot. I think you have to. If you want the younger, non-starters to put in the work, they need examples of players who do what they are asked and make it. If not, they have very little incentive to bust their asses. Plenty of good players have played outstanding, but only gotten chances for other teams than the ones who never gave them a chance. There is nothing wrong with giving players a chance. Again, guys like Dielman and Ekeler have turned themselves into very good players because they did what they needed to. Not everyone will be able to, but a bigger percentage would help.

Both Norton and Pipkins struggled when their technique was dreadful. However, both have dramatically improved it, so they have an excellent chance to be solid players. Generally speaking, how solid a player's technique is, is a good judge of how good an OL will be. OL with good technique beat more athletic DL all the time, and generally win most of plays against them. I think the real problem among most fans is that they don't have a clue what good OL technique looks like.

Comment

• equivocation
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post

Butler is definitely a DT I’ve been reading and keeping an eye one. If they don’t go DT in the 1st and Butler is there in the 3rd, I’d say take him. He would be great in the rotation.

1st rd DL Travon Walker
          2nd rd OT Abraham Lucas
          3rd rd DT Mathew Butler
          4th rd CB Mychael Wright
          5th rd S Smoke Monday or S Bryan Cook
          Quoting to reference the shrine bowl article.

I watched Utah v Oregon (Nov 21 2021) film focused on Olaseni. Main thing to say is that he is...big. Big enough to slow guys down just running around him. When he makes contact he moves creates movement effortlessly so you have to remind yourself that it was a good block.

But that is IF he makes contact. Way too often he struggled to make contact and seemed lost in space and hesitant. Bad tendency to lunge and get over his feet leading to snatches by defenders. Went to the gound too much. Doesn't seem to know what to do with his hands.

I read he improved through the year so maybe an even later game will show better but he was really not impressive. Maybe 7th round just on measurbles, probably UDFA. Practice squad player. Needs so much technique work. Good bend for a 6'8" guy.

Comment

• Parcells
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I don't have a problem with letting Norton and Pipkins compete for the RT spot. Ideally, you would like a vet RT to compete too, but that seems unlikely given how few RT types there are who are good enough to have a realistic shot.

There are really only 4 choices to play RT unless we convert a LT type. Trent Brown, Morgan Moses, Norton or Pipkins.

Brandon Shell is another, not very serious option. He got a 2yr, $9 mill deal from Seattle, but has never finished a season healthy since he got to be good enough to play regularly. And still has the occasional game where he gets beaten badly.

Reiley Reiff will be 33, and is coming off a season-ending injury, and got something like $8 mill last season.

Germain Ifedi is getting some notice and has player better lately, but it is hard to forget how horrible he was for Seattle when he was taken in the 1st round. And he was on a bad line, and still couldn't find a way to help them fix it, despite experience at OG and OT.

There are a couple of LT typed. Cam Robinson has not exactly been consistent, and would want LT money (and will be courted by other teams at LT). Eric Fischer is coming off his Achilles injury. Orlando Brown might play, but again, wants LT money. Duane Brown has been a good LT, but again wants LT money, and he is 35. Jason Peters is 39. Teron Armstead is the Saints former LT, and has been averaging $13mill per year.
            Dennis Kelly is a decent starting RT who shouldn’t cost too much. I’d be happy to bring him in, and then let us see what we have with Pipkins. I feel like we know what we have with Norton, which is a solid backup.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I am pretty sure I did. I don't think what you said was clear, but I responded to what you said.

When you said 3rd and 4th OT, those are backup OT only. You know, 2 starting OT, 1 swing OT (3rd OT), a swing OT/OG (4th OT) plus 1 C/OG swing (8th OL). We won't know if they are going to carry more OL than that, at least until we see the roster makeup. And if we do, it is likely to be someone like James. But again, not letting them compete, is frankly not letting them compete. There is no other way to put it.

I don't see us getting a RT who is going to be able to start, unless we target them as FA, and I have covered that in other threads, that it seems unlikely to upgrade over Pipkins or Norton. The top OT prospects are all going to go pretty fast in the draft this year, so 1st round is likely to be out. By the time you go to 2nd or later, you can't count on them to start, at least not in year 1. More importantly, you still NEED Pipkins and Norton to compete for the starting job. Again, we could take a RT with the 1st pick in the draft, I would still want them to compete to win the job.

The NFL usually gives starting jobs to high draft picks or FA. And it is very hit and miss. There should be very little wonder why. Competition is the way to FORCE players to do everything they can to make themselves better. Pipkins did it this year because I think he was finally getting it that he was on the fast track to getting cut. But he got his head out of his ass in time, and seems to on the right track. Letting him compete lets him know that he needs to not only continue, but also tells Norton and/or every other player the same thing. Do the things you need to do to make yourself a good player or else. You can always go and review the Marcellus Wiley story if you want an example of a vet who became a FA and forgot.

But if you are really letting them compete, either Norton or Pipkins could very easily win the 2nd OT spot. I think you have to. If you want the younger, non-starters to put in the work, they need examples of players who do what they are asked and make it. If not, they have very little incentive to bust their asses. Plenty of good players have played outstanding, but only gotten chances for other teams than the ones who never gave them a chance. There is nothing wrong with giving players a chance. Again, guys like Dielman and Ekeler have turned themselves into very good players because they did what they needed to. Not everyone will be able to, but a bigger percentage would help.

Both Norton and Pipkins struggled when their technique was dreadful. However, both have dramatically improved it, so they have an excellent chance to be solid players. Generally speaking, how solid a player's technique is, is a good judge of how good an OL will be. OL with good technique beat more athletic DL all the time, and generally win most of plays against them. I think the real problem among most fans is that they don't have a clue what good OL technique looks like.
              Good OL technique is the opposite of bad OL technique. And we know what that is. We’re Charger’s fans
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                Grammar Police
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Senior bowl weigh-ins being posted on the Twitter feed.

Go Rivers!

Comment

• equivocation
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                  Senior bowl weigh-ins being posted on the Twitter feed.

https://mobile.twitter.com/seniorbow...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
                  Perrion Winfrey, Phidarian Mathis, Zion Johnson all measuring with good length.

Comment

• equivocation
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2021
                    • Send PM

Ridgeway too.

Good draft to need trenchers IMO.

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2022/01/129048/ohio-state-linebacker-palaie-gaoteote-to-return-for-fifth-college-football-season-second-season-with-buckeyes

Palaie Gaoteote to return for fifth season.... returns to school @OSU.
                      5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

Dennis Kelly is a decent starting RT who shouldn’t cost too much. I’d be happy to bring him in, and then let us see what we have with Pipkins. I feel like we know what we have with Norton, which is a solid backup.
                        When you say that he is a starting caliber OT, he has only 1 year as a starter. He has always gotten a fair number of snaps as a swing OT. He was a marginal player over most of his career, who has blossomed in his late 20's and early 30's. I am not that sold with bringing in a 32/33 year old OT. I also think he is going to get someone who is desperate who is going to offer him an obscene amount of money. But he is not a long-term replacement. His athleticism is marginal, he is a technique guy, and when they lose their athletic ability, they go downhill quickly.

Comment

Working...
                        X