2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post

I'm a big fan of C Ricky Stromberg out of Arkansas in the 2nd. He’ll be the next Creed Humphrey and Josh Meyers. Durable, smart and has played LG and RG as well. Granted, that was his freshman year.
    was in on Josh Meyers, but never really was feelin' Creed as a Charger (did dream of Trey Smith, of course), and.... my guy this year is Eli Cox, who was @guard last season, and while recovering from injury is making the transition to center, and.... you won't find much of a scribble on him on most draft boards.
    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Thanks, Beach! I always appreciate your posts as well... you always do your homework and offer specifics.

I'm an optimist... I think we make the playoffs and go deep. I'm anticipating picking near the end of the draft... 26 or after. That's about where I think Antonio Johnson and Trey Dean belong.

2nd round NB: My 2 favorites are Clark Phillips and Tre'Vius Hodges-Thomlinson. Because of their stature (5'9"), I think teams will feel they are risky picks. Remember when Elijah Molden lasted until the 3rd round...? Besides their quickness and ability to jump routes (high football IQ's), they are also sound tacklers. Sound tackling is a Staley must. It's probably why JT Woods hasn't seen the pitch, yet. Most of the DB's I look at are sound tacklers.

2nd round CB: Garrett Williams is probably too much to hope for @the end of the 2nd round. But the group is deep... maybe teams wait and try to get value later and leave a beauty like Williams there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XqMfleGhIM
      2nd round CB: Eli Ricks is another that probably won't last... but (see above). Alabama has 3 CB/NB prospects all by themselves.
      Other late 2nd rounders IMO: Short list of talented cover guys that may need to put on more muscle... Emmanuel Forbes, Kris Abrams-Draine, Kei'Trel Clark. 2 other guys I want to add to my late 2nd round list: Jaylon Jones and Tony Grimes (Grimes doesn't make most people's list... but he has very good coverage skills/technique.)

I didn't even list Kelee Ringo, Cam Smith, Joey Porter, or Devon Witherspoon because I think they'll definitely be gone by the 2nd round.
      Without even including Jaylon Jones or Tony Grimes... that's 13 CB/NB on my list. That's why I think CB/NB is premium round 2 target round.

I'll get back to you on LB/IOL prospects in the 3rd/4th. WR/RB in 4th/5th will take me a little longer... it's my least researched, but I already see some guys from last year's research.
      yeah, have seen Johnson mostly late first, and some early seconds, and.... like Emmanuel Forbes as well, and also have my eye on Cameron Smith, as dude is hellah injury prone, but also hellah talented, and wondering if he wouldn't be worth a gambit if he lasts 'til day three ??
      5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Still working on my ILB's. But quick question... will DeMarvion Overshown end up being the best ILB of this class...? Once he puts on 10-15 pounds... yikes!

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Still working on my ILB's. But quick question... will DeMarvion Overshown end up being the best ILB of this class...? Once he puts on 10-15 pounds... yikes!
          As Arnold would say, "it's time to PUMP UP!!!"

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Wow! The pundits and draft sites are all over the place on ILB. The ones that show up most often in the top-5 are: Noah Sewell, Trenton Smith, Henry To'o To'o, DeMarvion Overshown, and Jack Campbell. Of those 5, I think Overshown has the highest ceiling. I think he'll be the only 1st round pick (late) and may need to add 10-15 lbs to take the constant beating that NFL O-linemen dish out. After that, Sewell and Trenton Smith are probably 2nd rounders. The rest are 3rd-5th round prospects... and that is a very large number of players (10-12) depending on what your looking for. The guy that I like (but no one has on their list) is Tommy Eichenberg (Ohio State). Maybe he's already declared that he'll be back for his Senior year... idk.

I'll get to my IOL list later. But my sense is that the IOL you get in the 3rd-4th will be better than the ILB you get in the 3rd-5th.
            My 10-12 ILB's (3rd-5th): To'o-To'o, Campbell, Isaiah Moore, Edefuan Ulofoshio, Jestin Jacobs, SirVocea Dennis, Jalen Graham, Amari Gainer, Bumper Pool, Avery Roberts... and I'd throw in Drew Sanders and Nick Herbig. Those 2 guys are really OLB's but I think could play ILB in a 3-4.

I am 100% sure that I left some guys off the list, but pretty sure they're no better than the 12 I listed.
            ILB is a big hit/miss position for me (from Fred Warner to Malik Jefferson) so take it with a grain of salt...

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Wow! The pundits and draft sites are all over the place on ILB. The ones that show up most often in the top-5 are: Noah Sewell, Trenton Smith, Henry To'o To'o, DeMarvion Overshown, and Jack Campbell. Of those 5, I think Overshown has the highest ceiling. I think he'll be the only 1st round pick (late) and may need to add 10-15 lbs to take the constant beating that NFL O-linemen dish out. After that, Sewell and Trenton Smith are probably 2nd rounders. The rest are 3rd-5th round prospects... and that is a very large number of players (10-12) depending on what your looking for. The guy that I like (but no one has on their list) is Tommy Eichenberg (Ohio State). Maybe he's already declared that he'll be back for his Senior year... idk.

I'll get to my IOL list later. But my sense is that the IOL you get in the 3rd-4th will be better than the ILB you get in the 3rd-5th.
              My 10-12 ILB's (3rd-5th): To'o-To'o, Campbell, Isaiah Moore, Edefuan Ulofoshio, Jestin Jacobs, SirVocea Dennis, Jalen Graham, Amari Gainer, Bumper Pool, Avery Roberts... and I'd throw in Drew Sanders and Nick Herbig. Those 2 guys are really OLB's but I think could play ILB in a 3-4.

I am 100% sure that I left some guys off the list, but pretty sure they're no better than the 12 I listed.
              ILB is a big hit/miss position for me (from Fred Warner to Malik Jefferson) so take it with a grain of salt...
              its still way early, barely halfway thru the college season. I take pundits with a grain of salt at this point. Actually i dont even pay attention to them yet.

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

its still way early, barely halfway thru the college season. I take pundits with a grain of salt at this point. Actually i dont even pay attention to them yet.
                I don't either. I use their lists and watch the players' tapes for myself. Usually, I'll watch [insert team] defense/offense vs. 2022 and go from there.
                If I didn't like what I saw, I usually won't go to another game. If I liked what I saw, I'll look at a 2nd/3rd game tape. There is still a lot of tape to watch.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

Looking at KAs contract for 2023 and 2024, I’m a bit concerned that the chargers might actually cut or trade him before the free agency window starts in March 2023, he’s due a roster bonus of 3.5mil but with 1.5 of base salary guaranteed it’s basically a 4.5mil roster bonus if he’s kept past the deadline, the rest of his base brings him up to almost 23mil for the 2023 season:runaway:

if they cut him the net cap savings would be almost 9mil for 2023 with an additional 9mil coming available in 2024…I think it’s becoming increasingly likely that the chargers will draft a WR in rounds 1-2 in the 2023 draft…

I hope he comes back like gangbusters and has a huge rest of the season, If his hamstring lingers throughout the year, I’m concerned it’ll prompt the chargers to part ways with keenan…
                  "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Edefuan Ulofoshio
                    if Staley is still here, he likes value, and think this guy may be the best value outta your bunch, and....

interesting comment from a Green Bay friend of mine and where their DC was formerly Staley's LB coach when he was DC, and.... apparently dude does not adapt his scheme well to his personnel, and his star sideline 2 sideline LB, who just signed a hefty new FA contract, is doing none of the such, and Stokes is left playing shallow zone, which isn't maximizing his skill set either....

if Tranquil goes, which kind of LB does Staley covet, or.... is there a new HC for team Tommy John to appease ??

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
                      Looking at KAs contract for 2023 and 2024, I’m a bit concerned that the chargers might actually cut or trade him before the free agency window starts in March 2023, he’s due a roster bonus of 3.5mil but with 1.5 of base salary guaranteed it’s basically a 4.5mil roster bonus if he’s kept past the deadline, the rest of his base brings him up to almost 23mil for the 2023 season:runaway:

if they cut him the net cap savings would be almost 9mil for 2023 with an additional 9mil coming available in 2024…I think it’s becoming increasingly likely that the chargers will draft a WR in rounds 1-2 in the 2023 draft…

I hope he comes back like gangbusters and has a huge rest of the season, If his hamstring lingers throughout the year, I’m concerned it’ll prompt the chargers to part ways with keenan…
                      Looking at the contracts the top WR's signed this past season, I'm thinking Keenans contract looks like a bargain.

But, if that hamstring lasts for the rest of the season they almost certainly will let him go. I sure hope that doesn't happen because we've seen how much the passing attack has suffered with him out.
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Looking at the contracts the top WR's signed this past season, I'm thinking Keenans contract looks like a bargain.

But, if that hamstring lasts for the rest of the season they almost certainly will let him go. I sure hope that doesn't happen because we've seen how much the passing attack has suffered with him out.
                        yes, but most all those 23-27 million dollar per year guys are in their mid to late 20s, I think adams and hill are the oldest guys in that group and no one would compare keenan to those two without being a serious charger homer…

I too am worried they will move on from him if this thing lingers…if he continues to be out eventually someone else will emerge, Herbert is too good not to find chemistry with someone else…and he’ll need to learn to adapt, modern QBs all have to do this in this era of protected QBs as their careers outlast just about every other position in football by a lot…especially a kid like herbert who typically doesn’t hold on to the ball or take too many uneccessary hits…
                        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Both KA and Khalil Mack have big cap numbers for 2023 and 2024. Maybe they get re-structured...?
                          I'd like to see how well each player does for the remainder of the year before doing anything.
                          Same goes for all of the players scheduled to be FA's at year's end.
                          Feiler and Vato can be released for additional savings.
                          We are $13 million over the cap for 2023.
                          Tough decisions are coming.

Comment

Working...
                          X