2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Riverwalk
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

What if Mack was just a bridge to the 2023 season?
    We're still waiting for Rumph. If he is productive near year's end, do you think Mack is still essential?

I think Mack was an "All In" move for this year. His contract is structured as such.
    I think there are some good EDGE players in this year's 2023 draft. Deep enough to legitimately be there near the end of the 1st round.

Assuming Will Anderson Jr and Myles Murphy are gone...
    K-State defensive End Felix Anudike-Uzomah, 1st team All Big 12 as a true sophomore2021 stats- 51 tackles 14.5 TFL 11 sacks 6 forced fumbles(13 sacks, but 2 ...

LSU edge rusher projected very highly in next year's draft 2021 Stats: 54 tackles, 7 sacks

Notre Dame's Isaiah Foskey had an outstanding season last year and is looking to increase his draft stock in his senior season! #GoIrishCheck out some of Fos...

Jared verse, Jared verse highlights, Jared verse fsu, Jared verse fsu highlights, Jared verse Florida state, Jared verse Florida state highlights, Jared verse lsu, Jared verse lsu highlights, Jared Verse vs lsu

I think this class rivals 2021's class.

BTW, Chargers 2nd round picks haven't always been anything I wouldn't trade for a SB run for...

Marcus Gilchrist
    Kendall Reyes
    Manti Teo
    Jeremiah Attouchu
    Denzel Perryman
    Hunter Henry
    Forrest Lamp
    Uchenna Nwosu
    Nasir Adderly
    Kenneth Murray
    Asante Samuel
    Rumph will never be as good as Mack. Mack is playing as good as ever and frankly was more dominant than Bosa when Bosa was healthy.

I don’t see anyway Chargers would want to release him next year if he’s healthy. Recruiting Mack was one of the top best things Staley has done for the Chargers.

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

Mack is the Herbert of DEs.
      P1. Block Destruction
      P2. Shocking Effort
      P3. Ball Disruption
      P4. Obnoxious Communication

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Rumph will never be as good as Mack. Mack is playing as good as ever and frankly was more dominant than Bosa when Bosa was healthy.

I don’t see anyway Chargers would want to release him next year if he’s healthy. Recruiting Mack was one of the top best things Staley has done for the Chargers.
        Exactly. At most, you get Khalil Mack for another year. Joey... maybe two years.
        It's time to draft an EDGE high, boys. It just is...

Riverwalk, what's your plan for saving us $20 million against the cap next year...?

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

I'm watching the Ducks/Bruins. The Ducks have a WR that's fast, soft hands, 6'3'' but - he only weighs 175 lbs. Looks like he has about a 20'' waist.

I like the Ducks Center. He's a prospect, imo.

UCLA has a CB that I like but I haven't caught his name yet. They also have a big, strong running back - Charbonnet (sp). that looks like a prospect.
          Last edited by chargeroo; 10-22-2022, 03:15 PM.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
            I'm watching the Ducks/Bruins. The Ducks have a WR that's fast, soft hands, 6'3'' but - he only weighs 175 lbs. Looks like he has about a 20'' waist.

I like the Ducks Center. He's a prospect, imo.

UCLA has a CB that I like but I haven't caught his name yet.
            Skinny wideouts like that remind me of the Bolts 7th round draft pick in 2014: Tevin "The Human Toothpick" Reese...the question is, can they take repeated pounding from hard-hitting safeties?

Comment

• captaind
              Cook This Pork Chops
              • Jun 2013
              • Mars
              • Ball Holder
              • Send PM

Jordan Strack on Twitter: "Toledo punter Jonathon Batzke just kicked this ball from his own end zone for a touchback. WHAT. @PatMcAfeeShow https://t.co/IgQbIoWdpM" / Twitter

Nice punt.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2021
                • Send PM

Exactly. At most, you get Khalil Mack for another year. Joey... maybe two years.
                It's time to draft an EDGE high, boys. It just is...

Riverwalk, what's your plan for saving us $20 million against the cap next year...?
                Why Mack for only one more year? Would rather part ways with Bosa (injury riddled).

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                  French Speaking Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Québec city
                  • Send PM

70 yards in the air !
                  Wow !

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Why Mack for only one more year? Would rather part ways with Bosa (injury riddled).
                    https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-ange...il-mack-14414/
                    https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-ange...ey-bosa-18951/

I don't write them, I just read them...
                    Actually, both are written such that they both could be waived in 2024.
                    Mack's is written such that he could be waived this off-season.
                    I know that's a very un-popular theory. But again, I don't write them...

Joey is 4 years younger. In theory, that means less likely to be injured.
                    Let's try to remember that Mack was hurt most of last year... and that injury is impossible to predict.

In the end, they will both need to be replaced soon... Herbie's big contract is coming soon. Plan accordingly.
                    BTW, the contracts of KA and MW are un-sustainable, also.
                    Keenan Allen contract and salary cap details, full contract breakdowns, salaries, signing bonus, roster bonus, dead money, and valuations.

Mike Williams contract and salary cap details, full contract breakdowns, salaries, signing bonus, roster bonus, dead money, and valuations.

Change is coming... sometimes it's just wise to pull the band-aid when no one expects it...

When looking at the draft... I see edge-rushers, cornerbacks, and a safety that are really good value near the end of Round 1.
                    IMO, the WR's slotted there, are not super impressive... especially when compared to the edge rushers.
                    When you start comparing late-2nd round WR's to CB's... again your CB's just look like much better value.

In 2024, I'd start looking to replace KA or MW.

It's not a coincidence that our 4 highest salaries are scheduled such that they all could be terminated in 2024.
                    It's not a coincidence that 2024 is also the year of Herbie's 5th-year option. At his draft spot... and his production... he's scheduled to make $30 million.
                    If they re-sign in 2024... that could mean $35-40 million per year. Yes, I know, they do all sorts of magic structuring (back-loading)... but we know what that brings: see Saints and Packers.

So be wise and plan now. Like the sideview mirror says... "Things are closer than they appear".

I can't tell you what Staley and TT are thinking right now. But I can tell you what they were thinking 8 months ago by simply looking at the contract structures of Mack, KA, Bosa, and MW.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Didnt have much hang time but it went a long ways.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-ange...il-mack-14414/
                        https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-ange...ey-bosa-18951/

I don't write them, I just read them...
                        Actually, both are written such that they both could be waived in 2024.
                        Mack's is written such that he could be waived this off-season.
                        I know that's a very un-popular theory. But again, I don't write them...

Joey is 4 years younger. In theory, that means less likely to be injured.
                        Let's try to remember that Mack was hurt most of last year... and that injury is impossible to predict.

In the end, they will both need to be replaced soon... Herbie's big contract is coming soon. Plan accordingly.
                        BTW, the contracts of KA and MW are un-sustainable, also.
                        https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-ange...n-allen-12357/
                        https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-ange...illiams-21748/
                        Change is coming... sometimes it's just wise to pull the band-aid when no one expects it...

When looking at the draft... I see edge-rushers, cornerbacks, and a safety that are really good value near the end of Round 1.
                        IMO, the WR's slotted there, are not super impressive... especially when compared to the edge rushers.
                        When you start comparing late-2nd round WR's to CB's... again your CB's just look like much better value.

In 2024, I'd start looking to replace KA or MW.

It's not a coincidence that our 4 highest salaries are scheduled such that they all could be terminated in 2024.
                        It's not a coincidence that 2024 is also the year of Herbie's 5th-year option. At his draft spot... and his production... he's scheduled to make $30 million.
                        If they re-sign in 2024... that could mean $35-40 million per year. Yes, I know, they do all sorts of magic structuring (back-loading)... but we know what that brings: see Saints and Packers.

So be wise and plan now. Like the sideview mirror says... "Things are closer than they appear".

I can't tell you what Staley and TT are thinking right now. But I can tell you what they were thinking 8 months ago by simply looking at the contract structures of Mack, KA, Bosa, and MW.
                        That hasnt been the case his entire career. He has only played a full season 3 times. He is good when he is healthy. Just wish he was a little more healthy.
                        I dont think we wait til his 5th year to sign Herbert to an extension...unless he gives the OK to help the team.

No idea what they will do. Thats their job not mine lol. But giving away draft picks isnt what they should do as we need to get some cheaper players and hopefully they draft well. Find some more Salyer types.

Ekelers cap only goes up 250K from this year but he will be in the last year of his deal. Like it or not, retaining him will depend on what they do this next offseason and he will be 28 next May before TC.

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

That hasnt been the case his entire career. He has only played a full season 3 times. He is good when he is healthy. Just wish he was a little more healthy.
                          I dont think we wait til his 5th year to sign Herbert to an extension...unless he gives the OK to help the team.

No idea what they will do. Thats their job not mine lol. But giving away draft picks isnt what they should do as we need to get some cheaper players and hopefully they draft well. Find some more Salyer types.

Ekelers cap only goes up 250K from this year but he will be in the last year of his deal. Like it or not, retaining him will depend on what they do this next offseason and he will be 28 next May before TC.
                          You and me, both. Bosa's contract guarantees he's not a cut next year (costs more to cut him than keep him).

Again, I agree. The move away from Gusly's D to Staley's D was going to take time (time they didn't really have).
                          The trading of a 2nd round pick for Mack was the quickest way to do it. It made us strong against the run (edge-setter) and against the pass (proven veteran). Without that, we just weren't ready to make a SB run. It accelerated our SB window by 1 year, IMO. Certainly, we could extend that window out to 2024 by restructuring Mack and/or Keenan... ultimately, I think that's what they'll do. But it will make it exponentially hard to have enough cap space to sign/re-sign anyone else.

We have only 39 players on the 2023 roster (5 of which probably don't deserve to be on anyone's roster) and 22 free agents...
                          You can waive a couple of under-achieving active players (Vato/Feiler) from the 2023 roster. But now you're down to 32 legitimate rostered players. And the savings only gets you under the cap enough to sign your 2023 draft class. You're still short 10 roster spots (final 53)... with no money to sign them.

Even with re-structures, Tranquill, Pipkins, and Callahan will probably be too expensive to re-sign... maybe even Adderly.

Comment

Working...
                          X