2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TexanBeerlover
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2021
    • Send PM

Everyone jag's
    We gig
    Supreme value
    Need Hierarchy
    Remember #21

Breese
    Branch
    Banks
    Sanders
    Ojulari
    Forbes

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
      When I look at our roster, I see exactly 1 3tech...that is why I have Bresee as ONE of my options at 21...and after him this draft is low on 3techs...plenty of decent NTs and 5techs...Fox, by the way, is not really a 3tech...more of a DE/inside rush guy...just my take.

I think this team, healthy, can make a push next year...so my first round pick is gonna solve a serious depth issue, or be an impact player, or bring something we need. Be it dynamic TE, generational RB, an Edge to put the pass rush over the top on third down...even speed. I just dont see a DB, outside of Branch, with his polish, instincts, and superior tackling, moving the needle NEXT year...sure, for the future...and maybe Im impatient, but I think there will be a very talented player who will be sorely needed this coming season...JMO, but CB not a first round priority for me...I just dont think it helps put us over the top.

If the pick is defense, its the front 4 or 5 I wanna bolster...Branch being the exception...stop the run, pressure/sack the QB...we got a lot of young DBs, JC coming back, and can bring back callahan or someone like him.
      I understand he struggles against double teams .... that's a no-no with this defense.

I really liked some of his film, before his problems, early .... a few months ago when i watched him.
      I haven't relocated it, or i have and just don't like him that much when i went I did a re-watch.

A disruptive DT in this division would be like striking gold

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SAY OW 55 View Post
        Report comes out teams only see one WR with a first round grade. Jaxon. Interesting.
        Agree.

Flowers, Addison, Hyatt...... in deep receiver classes, these are all 2nd round guys.

i forgot about Johnston.

Johnston is a a cut or two above them. He'll be gone by #21. Legit 1rst rounder
        Last edited by powderblueboy; 04-11-2023, 09:11 PM.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

I posted something somewhere about Nolan Smith being the guy.
          Upside, high character, need, inside program connections and availability all coming together .... these are all fuel for a Telesco wet dream in a 1rst rounder.

BTW, Myles Murphy is also considered to be a high character leader in the Clemson program.

Comment

• gzubeck
            Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
            • Jan 2019
            • Tucson, AZ
            • Send PM

There's hope my friends for getting either Myles Murphy or Will Anderson. I almost died when Simms put Anderson at #5 edge. Murphy is not even rated top 5. Somebody real good is going to slip to us at #21.

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

The knock on Smith is he has no bend. Against NFL blockers that will limit him. He’s also kinda light and will have trouble setting the edge. I would not use a first on him. Good player, but see him like all those WRs who should really be second rounders.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                The knock on Smith is he has no bend. Against NFL blockers that will limit him. He’s also kinda light and will have trouble setting the edge. I would not use a first on him. Good player, but see him like all those WRs who should really be second rounders.
                That was my thinking, but i read that it isn't the case about Smith's bend. In the video above, Chris Simms says that he has insane bend.
                Like last year with Travon Walker, Georgia edges are expected to keep qbs in the pocket and let interior pressure & blitzes get to them.
                He'll be raw coming out as a pass rusher.

As for setting the edge, it hasn't been a problem in college.
                Georgia's defense looked like crap against Ohio State, without Smith.

Comment

• JOJAX85
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Irmo, SC
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I can see why - I can say something about all the top rated WRs that I don't like. Yet, I felt I should have one WR (w/speed) in my cluster. I decided on Flowers because the only thing about him that I don't like is his size, otherwise, he seems to answer what I think we still need.
                  Some how, some way we have to find this. We've got a sniper rifle that we're asking to shoot at beer cans on a fence post.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Will McDonald is interesting: a small guy with great leverage who has in effect been playing DT in the Iowa State 3 - 4 scheme.

Rarely do you see him line up wide: really cat quick when he does. Has the arm length of a spider monkey.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                      Will McDonald is interesting: a small guy with great leverage who has in effect been playing DT in the Iowa State 3 - 4 scheme.

Rarely do you see him line up wide: really cat quick when he does. Has the arm length of a spider monkey.
                      I think the Chargers met with him. Trying to figure out whether he fits the Staley D EDGE player. I suspect the issue is vs setting the edge as a run defender. Maybe those long arms make up for the lack of "Sand-in-the-pants"...?

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                        Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                        • Feb 2019
                        • McLean Illinois
                        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Great prospect in a trade back scenario...but where I and pundits and talking heads put a guy...may not jibe with what the Bolts see....21 should be pretty early for McDonald and Ade Adebawore....54 way late...and yet our guys are talking to them...twice with Ade, by reports. So who knows? Trade back contigencies, or serious interest at 21.

Nolan Smith has no bend? Lol...sometimes I think these guys have to throw in some cookie cutter critiques, just because the prospect isnt perfect, but they cant put their finger on any one thing...so they grab a couple of tag lines for the "cons" portion of the eval, and move on.

If I had a critique, it would be because of his size, he lacks the anchor to line up tight to set the edge...he isnt gonna be standing up tackles, or stonewalling a pulling guard...he will be working off ball, or from a wide stance if he is on the line, using space and his athleticism to defend the Edge, and attack the ball...great athlete and smart football player...only Staley knows if he can make a place for him on next years defense.
                        Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• SAY OW 55
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2023
                          • Send PM

Nolan Smith will be like Hassan Reddick.

Comment

Working...
                          X