2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lone Bolt
    Oline-Tip of the Spear...
    • Feb 2019
    • McLean Illinois
    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

He is definitely faster than Keenan which you can see but was surprised he ran a 4.48. Reminds me of Keenan with his routes.

I'm not all about a 40. I like Tillman a lot and he is a YAC guy and he ran a 4.54 or 4.55. and I'd still draft him 3rd round if he is there.

That said first round WR for me is Flowers and I'd be a little apprehensive at 21. Mims in round 2 would be nice as well..
    I will agree with you on this, as far as tape...although Flowers also didnt run a blistering 40, when he catches the ball in stride, he accelerates into the next gear so fast, he leaves surprised defenders grasping at air...also like him...

Also think this is just academic debate...WR at 21 is a long shot, IMO...but who knows.
    Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

I will agree with you on this, as far as tape...although Flowers also didnt run a blistering 40, when he catches the ball in stride, he accelerates into the next gear so fast, he leaves surprised defenders grasping at air...also like him...

Also think this is just academic debate...WR at 21 is a long shot, IMO...but who knows.
      Agree, don't think WR is round 1 but who knows. Without resigning Guyton, could be anywhere that we get one. Maybe 2.

Can't see us rolling with Doss, Hightower or Moore lol.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Agree, don't think WR is round 1 but who knows. Without resigning Guyton, could be anywhere that we get one. Maybe 2.

Can't see us rolling with Doss, Hightower or Moore lol.
        Mims Rd2 is a nice call by our resident pundits. A burner who is also explosive off the line to separate quickly on underneath crossing routes is much more dangerous as defenses can’t only sit back for the deep vertical. Guyton is fast but he’s not explosive off the line. Hence his limited effectiveness. Still want to keep him (absent more upgrades being added), resign for low $ as a backup deep threat. Or as they like to call it here - depth.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
          Charger Fan since 1978
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

I know it’s not a popular stance but I hope they behave responsibly in this draft…if they refuse to trade down, I certainly hope they don’t trade up…this draft is more about 2024 than it is about 2023 because there are no empty roster spots, just empty depth spots with starting potential for 2024…

the team needs a replacement plan for lindsley because corey turns 32 this july, depth is also needed elsewhere on the O-line considering our primary back ups are jaimes and sarrell ….we don’t want these types of players having to start for us anymore when injuries hit, this team can do much better…I know it’s not sexy but we have to improve the depth on O-line…the only real way to do this is by continuing to invest on O-line in the draft…we should consider one of the best C/G guys in day two of the draft…

the situation at edge is in a similar predicament, mack is old and bosa can’t stay on the field, to me it only makes sense to take advantage of a top heavy edge group, this shouldn’t be left until the 3-4 rounds, we need a “guy” someone that can legitimately start in 2024…

perhaps the same can be said for WR although I feel WR is better off than the previous two positions, but that said, the chargers need to make concrete plans for keenan’s eminent departure in 2024…williams, palmer, and a receiver drafted in the top 3 rounds going into 2024 year with a full year in 2023 to learn and grow makes sense…

TE is also in a similar bind as WR and the two are interchangeable depending on the caliber of prospect you are getting at that particular draft position, so if the TE is a better prospect, then you go TE instead of WR and vice versa…

surprise positions that might go high are CB and IDL…for some reason it sounded like the chargers were on the verge of resigning vato but then we haven’t heard anything since the ekeler trade request happened, I’m wondering if perhaps they might share an agent? IDK but it sounded like michael davis was ready to sign and then we’ve heard nothing since…so that situation could mean a corner going higher than expected…at IDL the two injured guys could be the reason that the team decides to bring in another body, but they could always resign fehoko, and there’s no telling how much they liked moa and hinton last year, as of right now the only healthy starters are fox and SJD…austin and otito are coming off serious injuries,…moa and hinton are whole but they’re like practice squad material…even if they resign fehoko, they’re still going to need another body…I’m hoping for keanu benton, he’s one of only a handful of IDL I think are worth late 1st or early 2nd round pick…
          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
            https://www.youtube.com/live/FNQH5mxiqDs?feature=share

Nice little, insider nugget around minute 19.
            after we resigned Fox they felt they could drop the following:
            they claim they heard in March that the chargers had 1 round 1 DT in Carter
            And only 2 day 2 DTs, Kancey and Bresee "in that order"

My question is, shouldn't that stay private information until AFTER the draft? If other teams assume that's accurate, they know who they don't have to trade over for a DT.

Maybe we're better off not having these two douches announce to the world that we don't value other DTs inside of day 2.
            I don’t value DTs in round 1 either unless they’re pass rush demons. And those guys are rare. I’d suspect other GMs have the same thought.

Id take round 2 DTs as big run stuffers without hesitation.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

It's Believe It Or Not season.
              One interpretation could be that we are targeting Bresee
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

A new name to consider at LB depth--Special Teams.
                Looks like a TT special in the 3rd.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

A new name to consider at LB depth--Special Teams.
                  His shuttle time oddly sticks out all alone as sub-par. Makes no sense when the other contributors all seem to be aligned - I wonder if there was some drill glitch or something.

Side note - its crazy how many LBs run 4.5 nowadays - that was freak athleticism unicorn shit not all that long ago. So was 4.3 WR, which is now far from rare. There’s something in the water … can almost smell it
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Round 1, Pick 21: Dalton Kincaid, TE, Utah
                    The Chargers were able to keep their tight end room intact this offseason. Gerald Everett will return for his second season, and the Chargers were able to iron out a deal with Parham after initially opting not to tender the restricted free agent. But the team is expecting to use more two tight end sets — or 12 personnel — in Kellen Moore’s new offense. The Cowboys ranked ninth in 12 personnel usage last year at 22.4 percent, according to TruMedia. The Chargers ranked 18th. Some of that came down to injuries. Parham, of course, missed most of the season with a hamstring and a concussion. Some of it, too, was talent and skill sets.

Brandon Staley believes in using tight ends as a way to create mismatches and keep defenses guessing between run and pass. Staley has also spent two seasons watching Travis Kelce torch his defense for almost 500 yards receiving and five touchdowns over four games. The Chargers want a difference-maker at tight end, and this is a great draft to find that player. Kincaid is a premium pass catcher. We will see if he makes it to 21. He went 16th in our beat writer mock draft earlier this week.

Round
                    2, Pick 54: Isaiah Foskey, edge, Notre Dame

The Chargers have not addressed their need for a rotational edge rusher behind Khalil Mack and Joey Bosa. Kyle Van Noy filled the role last season, and while he played well down the stretch, it took him most of the season to find his pass-rushing form. Chris Rumph II is best in a fourth edge rusher and special teams role. If the Chargers head into the draft with this spot still unfilled, I think they have to take an edge rusher on Day 1 or 2. They could have some options in Round 1. Georgia’s Nolan Smith and Iowa’s Lukas Van Ness were both available when I picked at 21 in the beat writer mock. But the better route, to me, is finding an offensive playmaker in the first round. Foskey is a really interesting high-upside prospect. He is athletic, long and big with proven production as a college player. Foskey had 10 sacks in 2021 and 10 1/2 sacks in 2022.

Round 3, Pick 85: Nathaniel Dell, WR, Houston
                    Dell, who goes by the nickname Tank, is undersized at 5-foot-8 3/8 and 165 pounds. But he would certainly give the Chargers the explosive element they need in their receiver room. Dell caught 109 passes for 1,398 yards and 17 touchdowns last season at Houston, and he is already a polished separator. His speed did not show up at the combine. He ran a 4.49 40-yard dash. This seems like a scenario in which testing numbers do not necessarily align with play speed. Dell topped out at 20.16 miles per hour during Senior Bowl practices, according to our Dane Brugler, which was the third-fastest top speed of any receiver. The Chargers personnel department typically values GPS tracking data and play speed on film more than 40-yard dash figures when evaluating wide receiver speed. The team does not have much depth behind its starting receiving trio of Keenan Allen, Mike Williamsand Joshua Palmer. Dell can also return punts, and DeAndre Carter — the team’s returner in 2022 — remains a free agent.

Round 4, Pick 125: Byron Young, DL, Alabama
                    Fox is back in the fold, but I still have concerns over the Chargers’ interior defensive line depth. Austin Johnsonand Otito Ogbonnia are both coming off significant knee injuries. The Chargers did not tender Breiden Fehoko, who is on the open market. I think an early Day 3 pick on an interior defensive lineman makes sense. Young’s best trait is his run defending, and he has the type of length the Chargers like on the interior with nearly 34.5-inch arms.

The Chargers need help on the defensive interior and Alabama’s Byron Young brings run-stopping ability. (Kirby Lee / USA Today)

Round 5, Pick 156: Jon Gaines II, IOL, UCLA
                    The Chargers cut left guard Matt Feiler to save cap space last week. Jamaree Salyer is slated to take over Feiler’s spot, and the Chargers have a really solid starting five lined up for 2023: Rashawn Slater at LT, Salyer at LG, Corey Linsley at C, Zion Johnson at RG and Pipkins at RT. But they need to add depth on the interior. Brenden Jaimes, a 2021 fifth-round pick, is the only interior lineman on the roster with regular-season game experience, and he has struggled in his minimal playing time. Gaines’ testing numbers match up with some of the best guards in the game, from Joel Bitonio to Ali Marpet to Joe Thuney. He started games at center, guard and tackle for the Bruins. With his athleticism, Gaines would be a really tantalizing developmental interior piece to compete with Jaimes. The Chargers could also bring back Will Clapp to be the primary backup for Linsley if they want a more experienced depth center. Even if Clapp returns, I think the Chargers should draft an interior lineman on Day 3.

Round 6, Pick 200: Mekhi Blackmon, CB, USC
                    Staley has targeted defensive backs with three of his seven Day 3 picks in his first two Chargers drafts. He took Georgia safety Mark Webb Jr. in the seventh round in 2021, and he took Ja’Sir Taylorand Deane Leonard in the sixth and seventh rounds, respectively, in 2022. We are going to continue that trend in our Mock 2.0. Blackmon lacks size, but he is feisty as a press-man corner. He also has experience playing in the slot, and Staley covets position flexibility. The Chargers are a little thin at cornerback considering the uncertainty surrounding J.C. Jackson, who is rehabbing a ruptured patellar tendon. Taylor is also penciled in as the starter in the slot as it stands. More competition there would be beneficial.

Round 7, Pick 239: Anthony Johnson Jr., DB, Iowa State
                    Johnson played cornerback for his first four years at Iowa State before converting to safety for his final season. He broke the school Big 12 record with 54 starts over five seasons. Staley will always be looking to add defensive backs in the draft, and Johnson would provide experience and versatility. With Nasir Adderley retiring, JT Woods and Raheem Layne are the backup safeties on the roster. The depth situation could change if the Chargers sign John Johnson III, who played for Staley with the Rams in 2020.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
                      I know it’s not a popular stance but I hope they behave responsibly in this draft…if they refuse to trade down, I certainly hope they don’t trade up…this draft is more about 2024 than it is about 2023 because there are no empty roster spots, just empty depth spots with starting potential for 2024…

the team needs a replacement plan for lindsley because corey turns 32 this july, depth is also needed elsewhere on the O-line considering our primary back ups are jaimes and sarrell ….we don’t want these types of players having to start for us anymore when injuries hit, this team can do much better…I know it’s not sexy but we have to improve the depth on O-line…the only real way to do this is by continuing to invest on O-line in the draft…we should consider one of the best C/G guys in day two of the draft…

the situation at edge is in a similar predicament, mack is old and bosa can’t stay on the field, to me it only makes sense to take advantage of a top heavy edge group, this shouldn’t be left until the 3-4 rounds, we need a “guy” someone that can legitimately start in 2024…

perhaps the same can be said for WR although I feel WR is better off than the previous two positions, but that said, the chargers need to make concrete plans for keenan’s eminent departure in 2024…williams, palmer, and a receiver drafted in the top 3 rounds going into 2024 year with a full year in 2023 to learn and grow makes sense…

TE is also in a similar bind as WR and the two are interchangeable depending on the caliber of prospect you are getting at that particular draft position, so if the TE is a better prospect, then you go TE instead of WR and vice versa…

surprise positions that might go high are CB and IDL…for some reason it sounded like the chargers were on the verge of resigning vato but then we haven’t heard anything since the ekeler trade request happened, I’m wondering if perhaps they might share an agent? IDK but it sounded like michael davis was ready to sign and then we’ve heard nothing since…so that situation could mean a corner going higher than expected…at IDL the two injured guys could be the reason that the team decides to bring in another body, but they could always resign fehoko, and there’s no telling how much they liked moa and hinton last year, as of right now the only healthy starters are fox and SJD…austin and otito are coming off serious injuries,…moa and hinton are whole but they’re like practice squad material…even if they resign fehoko, they’re still going to need another body…I’m hoping for keanu benton, he’s one of only a handful of IDL I think are worth late 1st or early 2nd round pick…
                      To be fair, they stayed put in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, and 2022.

Comment

• electricgold
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2020
                        • Send PM

It's Believe It Or Not season.
                        One interpretation could be that we are targeting Bresee
                        Torn ACL coupled with surgically repaired shoulder scares me off of him as our draft pick, however if Lucas Van Ness falls to us maybe consider it?

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

Who are those guys lol.

Don't think I'd believe anything they say. Looks like 2 more dudes talking about the chargers like we do here.
                          Those guys have been covering the chargers for a few years now.
                          but ya, who knows what they know.
                          P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                          P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                          P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                          P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

Working...
                          X