2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

New Orleans made a trade
    Was it a trade up? I was just referencing this tweet.

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
      Telesco gave Ekeler the upper hand since he didn’t draft a RB. Chargers might have to sweeten the deal some for this season or Ekeler could really screw things up.

I’m gobsmacked the team did absolutely nothing to leverage themselves into a better RB situation versus being 100% dependent on what Ekeler decides to do.

It’s like, we are begging you to play but it’s on our terms m*thrf*kr. Shades of Lord of No Rings
      Were you expecting a day 1 or 2 pick used on RB? Because we almost certainly were not getting an upgrade over what we have currently have with a Day 3 pick.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Telesco gave Ekeler the upper hand since he didn’t draft a RB. Chargers might have to sweeten the deal some for this season or Ekeler could really screw things up.

I’m gobsmacked the team did absolutely nothing to leverage themselves into a better RB situation versus being 100% dependent on what Ekeler decides to do.

It’s like, we are begging you to play but it’s on our terms m*thrf*kr. Shades of Lord of No Rings
        Unless they know that Ekeler plans to play out his contract this year if he couldn't get a trade done. Wild theory, I know...

Comment

• Riverwalk
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Unless they know that Ekeler plans to play out his contract this year if he couldn't get a trade done. Wild theory, I know...
          I know you said that with a wink and actually I do expect Ekeler to honor his contract and play because he’s a standup guy.

Comment

• QSmokey
            Guardedly Optimistic
            • Jun 2013
            • Kuna, Idaho
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

According to Staley, they didn't feel they needed one.

Staley said in his presser that they really like their secondary group. He said "fans may not know about these young guys but they will and they are coming."

But he did mention they would like to get JC back and sounded like it may be sooner than later.

He said the same thing about the TE group.

He may be a very good car salesmam.
            I'm not buying what he's selling. Mr. Press Conference is at his best when the games AREN'T being played.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
              Oline-Tip of the Spear...
              • Feb 2019
              • McLean Illinois
              • Pipefitter Illinois State University
              • Send PM

Not a single favorite of mine drafted in any round this year...no one...and yet, I can't pan this draft...it is actually quite good. Very efficient in bolstering team depth and development, with many of these players having immediate opportunities to impact on Sunday. Adding a dynamic threat at the TE position was important to me...but evidently they feel the room is good, and McKitty and Parnham are gonna get another season to show the goods...which is cool...

After getting over QJ pick, which I have very much warmed up to, I have only 1 real beef with this draft. The RB room as it stands is scary as hell to me. 28 year old Ekelor, who shouldn't be carrying a full rushing load anyways at his size, is the only proven back we have. Kelley shows promise, but the only thing he has proven is that he will miss time...and Spiller hasn't proven anything. Now, I would love nothing better than for Spiller to show up and be what we drafted him to be...but I can't rely on it. Ekelor blows his knee out week 3, we could have one of the worst RB rooms in the league overnight, and the season would be in serious jeopardy.

On the other hand, I absolutely love our 5th and 6th round picks, and I don't know that there was anybody in the 7th that was any better than a UDFA...it's clear they seem comfortable with the room as is...I guess I will just have to deal. When asked if he was gonna add a vet to that room, TT was immediately dismissive.

All in all, a good 3 days...hopefully Spiller balls out this preseason...if so, I will feel really good about this roster....if it can friggin stay healthy, that is.... lol...ne

1. Quenton Johnston B+ Sorry I can't give this an A. I am very excited for what they hope he can bring, both this season and in the future...but I still have high regard for Kincaid, Murphy, Nolan Smith, prospects we passed on...I think I may see this as an A next season...I am already feeling better about the pick...but I'm not gonna flip over that easy...I'm not a complete homer...if he turns out to be the best receiver in this class, which some analysts still believe...then it's A+...but we will see.

2. Tuli Tuipoluto A- Love the motor, production, and character of this kid...I think he has the potential to be a great #2 pass rusher, if he keeps the enthusiasm for the game he has shown thus far...and a nice boost to the group right off the bat...never say die Edge player.

3. Daiyan Henley B+ Smaller, speedier LBs are where the league is going...good processing skills and instincts...reacts fast. Can't make the tackle if you aren't in the right place...this kid will be.

4. Derius Davis C Fills a need, true...like the speed and return skills...but this is where I think there was tremendous value at RB that we missed on...so I'm really grading the pick, not the player here...and I am excited to see him on Sundays, to see what he can do.

5. Jordan McFadden A This might be the best value pick in the draft...this is Jamaree Salyer all over again. A highly accomplished Oline prospect, who just doesn't fit the position in the pros, that he played in college...but his experience and skillset and character will make him a great pro lineman...just figure out how to use him...this is how you build championship depth on the oline.

6. Scott Matlock A This might be my favorite player in our draft class..."I'm coming for souls"...this is a great place in the draft to find small school beasts who, if they acclimate to the pros, can end up being real stars, and steals in the draft...I have high hopes for this young man..

7. Max Duggen C+ This isn't a bad pick...it isn't good....it just is. You just signed Stick to a multi-year deal...a #3 pick could of been a UDFA...but who else you gonna pick in the 7th? I do like the character, and what he will do for the QB room...kid's a winner, even if he is low on pro arm talent...Herbie needs some dawgs in that QB room with him...I like Duggen and Stick for those roles.

Overall A- Despite missing out on what I think was a big need(RB)...we seemed to address many other depth/development needs on this roster with solid picks....I don't see any egregious reaches, or long term projects here...these are all players that I think are gonna offer something, if needed, as early as their first season...even Duggan as a camp/practice hand and film room contributor...there are no Trey Pipkins to wait on here, or medical redshirts...if so needed due to injury, I think every player but Duggan could step in and play this season...very effecient, value laden draft
              Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Riverwalk
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Was it a trade up? I was just referencing this tweet.

If there was ever a draft Telesco should have traded back, this was it.

He could have had a lot more JAGs then the pile he came away with.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

I know you said that with a wink and actually I do expect Ekeler to honor his contract and play because he’s a standup guy.
                  It's more than just being a "standup guy". Ekeler has very little leverage. He's an older RB. The whole league has a hard time paying older RB's the money he's asking for. That's the reason no trade was made. If Austin wants to get paid next year... he better ball-out this year. That's his only leverage.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

There’s a lot of turd polishing as expected but this could go down as the worst Charger draft in history.
                    This draft could go down as the greatest draft in the history of the franchise
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Agree - he will likely skip some of the offseason work, but appears to love money too much to skip anything he could get fined for and will report and play out the year. His unfortunate position is he'll be a year older at an undervalued position so he will likely find a deal somewhere and maybe get a modest pay bump, but he is still not going to get what he feels he is worth.

Comment

• QSmokey
                        Guardedly Optimistic
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Kuna, Idaho
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

At first glance - it feels a bit underwhelming to me. But I am hopeful that Telesco and Staley know what they are doing
                        Huh? The next time they prove that they know what they're doing will be the first time.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

This draft could go down as the greatest draft in the history of the franchise
                          Stating the obvious: it will likely go down as somewhere between those extremes!

The players we drafted are all here for 4 or 5 years so I'm willing to actually wait and see them play for a year or two before making any conclusions on who we picked up. We did address the depth at several positions of need, added a blazing kick returner and a WR with serious YAC so since very few players we could have drafted would replace a starter, I am cautiously optimistic we can weather the injury front a bit better than before.

Comment

Working...
                          X