2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SAY OW 55 View Post

Well he’s gonna come in and do it. He’s gonna have to guard him. You think he’s just running away from him? The kid is mature can play and is skilled at that. He’s from Crenshaw not soft. Tough. So he will do a great job of that. We have a few guys but he will be asked to do it by coach. I never saw Fred Warner run away from stuff. I like the kid and I like the pick.
    We’ll see. I get you like him but maybe give the kid a chance to develop before anointing him the Kelce stopper

Comment

• SAY OW 55
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2023
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

We’ll see. I get you like him but maybe give the kid a chance to develop before anointing him the Kelce stopper
      No just pointing out why he was drafted here. We need to get somebody who can do something about Kelce we have no answer for the guy. So definitely think the team wanted to address it early. There were questions about not getting the thumper maybe the emphasis was trying to do something about Mahomes security blanket and making him uncomfortable.

Comment

• SAY OW 55
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2023
        • Send PM

We were soft in the middle even against a guy like Lawrence with Ettieine.

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by SAY OW 55 View Post

No just pointing out why he was drafted here. We need to get somebody who can do something about Kelce we have no answer for the guy. So definitely think the team wanted to address it early. There were questions about not getting the thumper maybe the emphasis was trying to do something about Mahomes security blanket and making him uncomfortable.
          That’s supposed to be Derwin James’ job

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

According to Staley, they didn't feel they needed one.

Staley said in his presser that they really like their secondary group. He said "fans may not know about these young guys but they will and they are coming."

But he did mention they would like to get JC back and sounded like it may be sooner than later.

He said the same thing about the TE group.

He may be a very good car salesmam
            He’s always talked a good game. It got him an NFL HC job. At a certain point it’s put up or shut up

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Went back to watch as much tape as I could find on Henley. Seen some prior but wanted a better look. Most of his tapes are either of him blitzing or in coverage, the highlights anyways.
              Wanted to find tape other than highlights. Not much out there.

I gave the pick a C earlier, I'll upgrade that to a B. Making the overall draft a B+ from the B- I gave it. And that's just right now. I know we have 2-3 years to really evaluate this class.

Henley is a lot more sudden and quicker than Tranquill was. Sticks with his man pretty.well.in.man to man. Shoots the gap even quicker than Tranquill did.

I won't say he is a Kelce slayer but he has the tools.
              I think he will be better than Tranq in coverage but he is a rookie and may take some time to get acclimated.

There isn't a lot of tape showing his run defense. But what I did see was good.

He spears his way toward the ball carrier and quickly shoots gaps but that 225 lbs hinders him if he gets caught up with a OL.
              He can be knocked around being a little undersized. If he can add 10 lbs then great and that will help him.

That was my biggest concern with him and still is but that quickness can't be taught.
              Seems like a great dude with a good sense of humor.

Not sure who I would compare his play to but I'm hoping he can be a speedier Fred Warner type for us. He would be lined up wide at Washington st often.
              Not t sure if we do that with him and hope he is an upgrade in run defense as a rookie. Should rotate in often.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

How many teams didnt make a trade?
                Only us and NO.

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Canal Zone Bolt Fan View Post

I guess I was hoping for a big run stuffer. I’m tired of our D not being able to stop the run. I see your point though.
                  We were stout against the run up the middle last year. It’s the edges and second level that’s the problem. I don’t think our DLs last year was the problem.

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

This is a fair post. Let me ask you this are you saying right now we have the right stuff in place to make the playoffs, make a deep run in the playoffs and beat the Chiefs, Bills and Bengals this season?

Being a GM isn't about learning though its about having the knowledge to figure out year after year how to make your team the best it can be. Never said he's learned nothing, but he has been pretty consistent with how he has evaluated talent, and his results have only got us I believe about 2 playoff wins. Most pro GM's would have be fired for he what he has accomplished being here based solely on his results. No?
                    With everyone important healthy, we can totally beat all three of those teams this year. Chiefs will be the hardest as always. But yeah, we can.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post
                      Staley pointed to the team’s struggles running the ball — the Chargers finished 30th in yards rushing — as a determining factor in making changes to his offensive staff.

Since he was hired in January 2021, Staley has talked about a desire for the Chargers to be a tough, line-of-scrimmage team. In his two seasons, the team hasn’t reached that status.

“I think that there’s a different level that we need to play at offensively,” Staley said, “particularly at the line of scrimmage in the run game and having the marriage of the run and the pass, creating more explosions on early downs.

“There’s just a style of play that’s still out there for us. I think we’ve made improvements each season toward heading where I think we can ultimately go as a football team.”

The Chargers’ loss Saturday night was made possible in part because they were unable to run the ball in the second half and consume valuable time off the clock. They rushed eight times for 20 yards after halftime.

So far there haven't been any additions in free agency or the draft to improve the running game. No new blocking tight end. No new running back. Maybe he thinks with Slater coming back, Zion going to left guard, and Salyer moving to right guard the running game will improve under a new offensive coordinator. I just find it a little perplexing.​

https://www.latimes.com/sports/charg...eaks-of-future
                      Yeah, it’s the OL being healthy and consistent that’s the most important. We’ll have to see about blocking TE since our best one is Parham currently. Maybe a trade or cut later down the line. Having another big body WR like QJ will help also.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
                        Most surprising. In a deep corner market, Chargers did not select one. Strength of class, did not select a corner.

emphasis all offensive
                        Strong tight end and running back class, too. It is concerning, since those are positions that could be very helpful to the transition to Moore's offense.

With Patrick Mahomes in the division I never have an issue with adding a talented cornerback, although I do prefer to get as many players to put Mahomes on the ground. Hopefully our second- and third-round picks will help with that.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

According to Staley, they didn't feel they needed one.

Staley said in his presser that they really like their secondary group. He said "fans may not know about these young guys but they will and they are coming."

But he did mention they would like to get JC back and sounded like it may be sooner than later.

He said the same thing about the TE group.

He may be a very good car salesmam

He's an extremely good used car salesman . . . . . . . .

Comment

Working...
                          X