2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Beach also mentioned a kid from Pitt who I'm not too familiar with but looks promising.
    can't take any credit there, as he came heavily recommended by Ninj (hence why I'm keeping a watchful eye on him).... last go 'round, and.... not in love w/the guy, albeit he does seem hellah good and might make a great 4i ??

5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

I like him too but not over some others that might be there and I also like Kincaid.
      for me it's Kincaid or Musgrave round two....
      5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
        I’ve noticed there is a difference between roster spots available, need, and what the team could attain to become a more complete team…

take for instance IDL, the roster spots are all filled because we have austin johnson, SJD, otito, signed and they still control fehoko, gaziano, hinton, moa, and merrill assuming they choose to tender all of them futures contracts and at this point I think they’ll tender all of those guys…plus there’s an outside chance the chargers figure out a way to retain morgan fox who has been our best interior pass rusher this year…

but let’s assume fox is gone in the case that the chargers prioratize herbert and pipkins this offseason…so is it possible the chargers look for another interior pass rusher in the draft early? Even tho they have clear needs at OL, TE, and Edge, I wonder if they might not look for interior pass rush early in the draft?

so who are the better interior pass rushers that could be available from picks 24-32?
        think they retain the all of SJD, AJ, Otito, Fehoko, Fox and Merrill, and.... there is talent on IDL in the draft. for myself that's three guys: Bryan Bresee, Siaki Ika and Calijah Kancey, the first two could possibly be available late round one (Bresee prolly not, w/Siaki more likely), and the latter late round two (hopefully, albeit he ranges between rounds 1-4 atm) ??

that said, am looking Bijan/RB - Kincaid/Musgrave @TE 1-2.... if not, then Dline is plan B., and w/the likes of Tyree Wilson and Jared Verse in the hoped for mix as well, albeit won't be surprised if they're off the board before we pick round one ??

so like last year w/most all the top wideouts off the board before we selected @17, the question for me is: who will still be on board come thirtysomething ?? my guess is it might be Siaki Ika @NT ??

if the top edge players are off the board early, my backup/day three plan is YaYa Diaby, and.... don't have a backup plan @TE, hence my insistence, @least atm, for TE round two.

far as OL goes, not as sold on as any of 'em as some are, and would prefer to stay clear of 'em, and wait 'til a bit later, and draft more for depth, albeit there is a good guard or two earlier in the preceedings.... i.e. O'Cyrus Torrence or Cooper Beebe.

OC has players most every round, and think there might be a backup/swing tackle for the takin' day three ?? as keen to find a backup for each of the Oline positions by draft's end.

coupla few other names that have come up for the IDL include Gervon Dexter, Mazi Smith and Tuli Tuipulotu, and of whom may or may not be there @the end of round two ??

and guessing you don't have Covington returning.... ??

Comment

• beachcomber
          & ramblin' man
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
          I’d be shocked if the chargers took a RB in this draft…this is shaping up to be one of the best FA RB classes in a good long while, veteran proven guys, guys that can catch the ball out of the backfield, power runners, you name it, this class has it and most importantly the class is 20-25 guys deep, including d’ernest johnson who a lot of people wanted the chargers to trade for in the last two seasons, with the emergence of kelley and the potential that spiller has they may not even look at FA backs at all, IDK, but there are a ton available in FA and some can be had for vet minimum…I just can’t imagine the chargers spending any more draft capital on RB when they have important immediate depth needs at edge, at WR, at TE, at IOL, and at OT….and they may also be drafting QB, linebacker, KR, and DB in day three…

IMO, these are the teams biggest needs priority wise…

top priority: Edge, #1TE, IOL, OT

next tier: deep threat WR, LB, KR (maybe same as WR?) and developmental QB

low priority: DL, LB, CB, and S
          an RB1 would lift all boats on offense, and.... happened upon Khalil the other day, and.... there isn't anyone coming to cart him off in a wheelchair anytime soon, as don't think he has any intentions of not suiting up next season, and.... guessing ditto for Bosa, and yes.... we could use an ED3, and.... an RB1 would have 10-15 impact plays/game minimum.

and personally would like two RBs, as was one of those guys that (still) covet D'Ernest Johnson, as not willing to count my eggs quite yet w/the either of Spiller nor Horvath, or even Kelley for that matter.

and for the record, am encouraged to read that you are so comfortable w/Spiller, coz can't check that box yet, and as mentioned previously, was much more excited 'bout Kelley becoming a Charger than Spiller, and.... both are fourth rounders, and possibly.... for a reason ??

would also add that think somebody has to be awful good/promising to spend a No. 1 @ED, otherwise you have to question the merits of spending how many tens of millions @the position already ??

and did we pay Everett TE2 monies ?? ....am not a Mayer guy, so will gladly wait 'til day/round two for a pretty darn good TE regardless.

do think you can make a valid argument for a starting Oline, as that is the one clearly available starting position, if we are sold on someone early there.

and ye' olde deep threat WR.... better than, and someone that would in theory see the field more than Guyton did ?? not to mention displacing the one of Keenan, MW or Palmer, or.... a TE2, and whether that is Everett (?) or an early round draftee ??

personally am in the starting LB camp, albeit am not so interested in someone outside of Sewell, who @this time has largely mixed reviews (something that Herbert had as well btw).

and KR/WR.... you guys not impressed/don't like what Carter has done for us this year ??

and developmental QB.... wonder who you/we see in the draft, coz would much rather have Minshew, and for the if and when we can find the mula for the such.

and don't have a day three LB, other than a coupla UDFA hoped fors.

and guessing 'tis just a matter of time before Nutty checks in re: your DB day three (need) valuation, as Brian Branch/DB3 (Callahan replacement) round one would be similar to going ED3 round one, and again according to BoltNut, there is plenty of talent early @both CB & S.... personally have a coupla guys eye like day two/three, that may or may not be on the board come then ??

will also volunteer that the lines, and whether DL or OL, are most always a priority, albeit again do like DT Dante Stills some if he's there day three.

and yes, per usual.... lotsa RBs littered throughout the draft.

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Fair enough but one game shouldn't be your sample size.
            LT once had 22 yards rushing against the Eagles.
            And every player, top guys play against subpar college defenses.
            I've always said top draft picks that light up defenses in say the PAC 12 for example are playing against defenses that have maybe 1 defender that could be drafted,....maybe even 2 but the majority won't be drafted.

No ijan going against Alabama is an example of a college team with many good player whether they are first round prospects, or 7th but how many of Bijans OL are looed at as draftable?

College football is the minor leagues and many just don't make it to the bigs.
            good example w/Bijan against Alabama, as my main cautionary tale against the drafting of MG3 was his performance, or lack thereof, against Ohio State, and as Robinson's game against the Crimson Tide is not necessarily something to summarily dismiss.

and on the other end of the spectrum is Dalton Kincaid and his game against the suspect D of USC.... sometimes it's too easy to get caught up in stats and/or single game performances, and then (lazily) gloss over context.... ??

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2021
              • Send PM

Have question regarding importance of Charger player personnel staff, whom among them would be considered upcoming and possible future GM? Seems like the Chargers have experienced staff that grind as well as anyone, but if for some reason Telesco leaves is there someone internally who could take over and be even more competent?

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
                Have question regarding importance of Charger player personnel staff, whom among them would be considered upcoming and possible future GM? Seems like the Chargers have experienced staff that grind as well as anyone, but if for some reason Telesco leaves is there someone internally who could take over and be even more competent?
                now that Staley is in cement for the next coupla years, not sure I see how Tom could be out the door either ?? and....

if there is one guy climbing the executive ladder, 'tis Michael Spanos II.

(would still be cleaning house w/at least one of the remaining AJ holdouts, and bring in some new blood into that dept.)

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

think they retain the all of SJD, AJ, Otito, Fehoko, Fox and Merrill, and.... there is talent on IDL in the draft. for myself that's three guys: Bryan Bresee, Siaki Ika and Calijah Kancey, the first two could possibly be available late round one (Bresee prolly not, w/Siaki more likely), and the latter late round two (hopefully, albeit he ranges between rounds 1-4 atm) ??

that said, am looking Bijan/RB - Kincaid/Musgrave @TE 1-2.... if not, then Dline is plan B., and w/the likes of Tyree Wilson and Jared Verse in the hoped for mix as well, albeit won't be surprised if they're off the board before we pick round one ??

so like last year w/most all the top wideouts off the board before we selected @17, the question for me is: who will still be on board come thirtysomething ?? my guess is it might be Siaki Ika @NT ??

if the top edge players are off the board early, my backup/day three plan is YaYa Diaby, and.... don't have a backup plan @TE, hence my insistence, @least atm, for TE round two.

far as OL goes, not as sold on as any of 'em as some are, and would prefer to stay clear of 'em, and wait 'til a bit later, and draft more for depth, albeit there is a good guard or two earlier in the preceedings.... i.e. O'Cyrus Torrence or Cooper Beebe.

OC has players most every round, and think there might be a backup/swing tackle for the takin' day three ?? as keen to find a backup for each of the Oline positions by draft's end.

coupla few other names that have come up for the IDL include Gervon Dexter, Mazi Smith and Tuli Tuipulotu, and of whom may or may not be there @the end of round two ??

and guessing you don't have Covington returning.... ??

who knows right? I mean, I left covington off the list because of all the other names already there, 3 signed thru 2023 and the other guys are not UFAs like fox and covington so those other guys I mentioned can be retained with a minimum salary futures contract tenders and fox/covington cannot be retained like that…I like what’ve seen from hinton for sure, need to see more of moa, gaziano looked much improved until he got hurt, fehoko probably has earned consideration for an extension at some point…so of the two UFAs (covington&fox) I left covington off the list because he plays that NT and we already have 3 maybe 4 guys either signed or cheaper than covington that play the same spot, if covington was an interior pass rushing threat like fox then he’d be on my list, otherwise he seems like a redundant guy at this point…

I’m not taking for granted what fox has been doing for us this year, but that stretch of games were we played elite interior pass rushers three weeks in a row (wilkins, simmons, buckner) was eye opening, this defense is that one dominant interior guy from blowing up and becoming a really scary defense…

that’s why I asked you guys is there some one that could fall in the 24-32 range that has the potential to be a BPA type that the chargers wouldn’t be able to resist, even tho they have bigger needs outside of IDL…that’s why I asked that question and you guys are already making lists of names…
                  "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

an RB1 would lift all boats on offense, and.... happened upon Khalil the other day, and.... there isn't anyone coming to cart him off in a wheelchair anytime soon, as don't think he has any intentions of not suiting up next season, and.... guessing ditto for Bosa, and yes.... we could use an ED3, and.... an RB1 would have 10-15 impact plays/game minimum.

and personally would like two RBs, as was one of those guys that (still) covet D'Ernest Johnson, as not willing to count my eggs quite yet w/the either of Spiller nor Horvath, or even Kelley for that matter.

and for the record, am encouraged to read that you are so comfortable w/Spiller, coz can't check that box yet, and as mentioned previously, was much more excited 'bout Kelley becoming a Charger than Spiller, and.... both are fourth rounders, and possibly.... for a reason ??

would also add that think somebody has to be awful good/promising to spend a No. 1 @ED, otherwise you have to question the merits of spending how many tens of millions @the position already ??

and did we pay Everett TE2 monies ?? ....am not a Mayer guy, so will gladly wait 'til day/round two for a pretty darn good TE regardless.

do think you can make a valid argument for a starting Oline, as that is the one clearly available starting position, if we are sold on someone early there.

and ye' olde deep threat WR.... better than, and someone that would in theory see the field more than Guyton did ?? not to mention displacing the one of Keenan, MW or Palmer, or.... a TE2, and whether that is Everett (?) or an early round draftee ??

personally am in the starting LB camp, albeit am not so interested in someone outside of Sewell, who @this time has largely mixed reviews (something that Herbert had as well btw).

and KR/WR.... you guys not impressed/don't like what Carter has done for us this year ??

and developmental QB.... wonder who you/we see in the draft, coz would much rather have Minshew, and for the if and when we can find the mula for the such.

and don't have a day three LB, other than a coupla UDFA hoped fors.

and guessing 'tis just a matter of time before Nutty checks in re: your DB day three (need) valuation, as Brian Branch/DB3 (Callahan replacement) round one would be similar to going ED3 round one, and again according to BoltNut, there is plenty of talent early @both CB & S.... personally have a coupla guys eye like day two/three, that may or may not be on the board come then ??

will also volunteer that the lines, and whether DL or OL, are most always a priority, albeit again do like DT Dante Stills some if he's there day three.

and yes, per usual.... lotsa RBs littered throughout the draft.
                    you mean you don’t know who lifts the boats around here? Are we not watching the same fucking games? Austin fucking Ekeler dude! This coming sunday if ekeler gets 2 TDs he will have accomplished something only Ladanian Tomlinson has done in NFL history, back to back 20 TD seasons!

I’m intrigued in d’ernest johnson as an upgrade for RB2 but I think we already have an RB1, not sure what else ekeler has to do to earn your respect, and plus thinking, minus rountree, I like our RBs…I believe kelley has arrived and spiller is going to become a player, bring in some UDRFAs to challenge rountree for the #4 spot, Kelley will be even better next year, he’s just been a slow developer like pipkins…the RB1 luxury pick is still a year or two away as ekeler ages, kelley leaves in FA, and only if Spiller does in fact turn out to be a bust, but right now we don’t know that to be true, he hasn’t even really played…

I’d forget about the RB1 in early rounds, it seems like a luxury pick that the team can’t afford right now, me personally, I’d finish building the OL, find a TE#1, and add depth at Edge and speed WR/KR

NOTE: Carter has been a fantastic PR for us, but as a KR he is one of the lowest graded in the NFL…
                    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2020
                      • Send PM

We should draft a straight flush of 330+ lbs NTs/DTs in the draft, have them compete and then figure out who to convert to OT, OG, C, FB/TE out of those not making the starting lineup in their draft designated role/position.

Comment

• Trumpet Man
                        Dea Spanos my HERO
                        • Dec 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post
                        We should draft a straight flush of 330+ lbs NTs/DTs in the draft, have them compete and then figure out who to convert to OT, OG, C, FB/TE out of those not making the starting lineup in their draft designated role/position.
                        Disciple of the BEEF.

Excellent

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Yes we did. Mayer looks good, but not crazy good.
                          They ain't selecting Mayer.

Not even Telesco.

Comment

Working...
                          X