2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Ironically, my favorite value pick was your lowest grade.
    Me too.
    Davis is going to give us some nice returns/field position.
    ST coach knows what he's doing.

And frankly, we needed a fast, gadget guy at WR.
    Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Riverwalk
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Me too.
      Davis is going to give us some nice returns/field position.
      ST coach knows what he's doing.

And frankly, we needed a fast, gadget guy at WR.
      Exactly. While over the long run some could have better careers as Chargers, he appears to have the best odds of being an instant starter and having the most near term success. It’s the pick I was most gratified to see.

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by RockyMtnBoltFan View Post

My take on this draft is actually the opposite. I think they had a very specific plan that was executed without much openness to being flexible and playing the board to optimize the talent.

We all know the cap situation that they are in at WR and Edge. The first two picks seemed pre-determined for this positions to set up for likely Mack and MWill to be released a year from now. The LB in round 3 is Tranquill replacement. The WR/KR is Deandre Carter replacement that was probably drafted 2 round too soon. They had specific needs identified and addressed. That’s fine…it fills in certain roster gaps. But I feel like over the long-term you leave better talent in the table.

I suspect you will see some signings soon to round out the other soft spots in the roster. Expect JJ3 for sure and quite possibly Callahan and KVN. Bolts have a good roster and think they actually have a strategy…but is it the right one?
        Yeah, we had to have a WR and an edge rusher for next year's departures (probably edge and WR).
        While we get all jacked up for 3 short months about our favorite prospects... the professionals are compiling/watching/re-evaluating guys for years.
        They probably have a really good idea about certain rounds and certain positions/prospects.
        There has to be a little backwards engineering going on here.

BTW... Daiyan (the LB) is a K9 replacement... not a Tranquill replacement. Kendricks was a Tranquill replacement.
        IMO, the LB position got much better with Kendricks and Daiyan Henly.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Popper’s post draft analysis:

Best pick
          McFadden was the Chargers’ best pick of the draft. A college tackle at Clemson, he has possible five-position flexibility on the offensive line. And I commend Chargers coach Brandon Staley’s approach to investing in the offensive line year after year, both for starters and depth. The Chargers have taken five offensive linemen — Rashwn Slater, Brenden Jaimes, Zion Johnson, Jamaree Salyer and now McFadden — in Staley’s three drafts with the team. For comparison, in the three years prior to Staley being hired, general manager Tom Telesco drafted two offensive linemen: tackle Trey Pipkins in the third round in 2019 and center Scott Quessenberry in the fifth round in 2018. Johnson and Slater, of course, were both first-round picks. Taking repeated swings on the offensive line, both with premium and later-round picks, is something that was missing for the Chargers before Staley arrived. And it has turned that position group into a roster strength — maybe the strength outside of star quarterback Justin Herbert.

Pick who will make biggest immediate impact
          Tuipulotu has the clearest pathway to significant playing time as a rookie. He is immediately the third edge rusher on the roster behind Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack, and that fact alone pencils him in for about 25 snaps per game as soon as the regular season starts. On top of that, the Chargers really believe Tuipulotu has the ability to rush from the interior on known-passing downs, and we could see some packages with Bosa, Mack and Tuipulotu all on the field together. Staley repeatedly touted Tuipulotu as a “point of attack” player, and that means the Chargers will feel comfortable playing him on early downs in their run fronts. He projects as an important piece for Staley’s defense from the jump.

Biggest surprise
          The biggest surprise was the Chargers not drafting a tight end. Entering this weekend, I did not think the Chargers had the requisite pieces in their tight end room to effectively operate new offensive coordinator Kellen Moore’s system. Specifically, they are lacking an even average run blocking tight end. My opinion has not changed. The Chargers were interested in a tight end on Day 2, but ultimately the board did not fall the right way.
          ​Three tight ends went in the first 11 picks of the second round before the Chargers were on the clock. Edge was an equally important need, and the Chargers went with Tuipulotu. Three more came off the board before the Chargers were up again in the third round. They could have looked to take a tight end in the fourth round. But returner was a pressing need, and Davis had six return touchdowns in his career at TCU. Chargers special teams coordinator Ryan Ficken was the Vikings’ special teams coordinator when they drafted Kene Nwangwu in the fourth round in 2021. Nwangwu had two kickoff return touchdowns as a rookie and earned second-team All-Pro as a kick returner in 2022. I have faith in Ficken’s ability as a returner evaluator and have no issues with the Davis pick in the fourth round.

The Titans drafted Cincinnati’s Josh Wyle before the Chargers picked in the fifth round. The Chargers could have taken Purdue’s Payne Durham or Clemson’s Davis Allen at pick 156, but they opted instead for offensive line depth. The Chargers went for defensive line depth in the sixth round with Matlock. A tight end option there could have been Old Dominion’s Zack Kuntz, but he is a project, and I did not see him fitting what the Chargers needed in terms of an immediate impact inline blocker. Kuntz went 220th overall to the Jets in the seventh round.

Biggest question mark
          How big of a role will Johnston carve out as a rookie? This will be a fascinating storyline to watch through OTAs and into training camp. Johnston has considerable upside as a yards-after-the-catch weapon. He is also a raw prospect who needs to develop as a route runner, and he will have at least three receivers ahead of him on the depth chart entering the summer in Keenan Allen, Mike Williams and Joshua Palmer. The Chargers and Moore should cater Johnston’s role to his YAC skillset in Year 1: slants, crossers, jet sweeps, anything to get the ball in his hands on the run. But I think the range of outcomes for Johnston in 2023 is pretty wide. He is a big play waiting to happen. We will see how many of those big plays come to fruition this season.

Remaining needs
          Tight end. Cornerback. Safety. In that order. The Chargers did a really good job of attacking their needs in this draft. They needed more explosive talent in their receiver room. Johnston checks that box. They needed a plug-and-play rotational edge. Tuipulotu checks that box. They needed an inside linebacker with special teams upside after both Drue Tranquill and Troy Reeder walked in free agency. Henley checks that box. They needed a kick and punt returner. Davis checks that box. They needed interior offensive line depth behind Zion Johnson and Jamaree Salyer. McFadden checks that box. They needed interior defensive line help, as Austin Johnson and Otito Ogbonnia are both coming off significant knee injuries. Matlock checks that box. And Duggan checks the box of adding some competition for Easton Stick at backup quarterback.

​I already detailed what the Chargers should be looking for at tight end. They could use a depth corner with inside and outside flexibility. I think Ja’Sir Taylorshould have some competition for the starting slot corner spot. And there is still some uncertainty as to how much cornerback J.C. Jackson plays this season. At safety, the Chargers have J.T. Woods and Alohi Gilman competing for the spot next to Derwin James. They liked what Raheem Layne brought as a rookie last season. But another piece here would create some competition and depth. John Johnson, who starred for Staley with the Rams in 2020, remains a free agent.

Post-draft outlook
          The Chargers can look to free agency to make their finishing touches to the roster. Last year, they made several outstanding value signings in May — Kyle Van Noy at edge rusher, Bryce Callahan at slot corner and Morgan Foxat interior defensive line. A similar post-draft free agency period this year could really elevate the roster into Super Bowl-contention territory. Callahan remains a free agent. Same with Van Noy, but that move is less likely after the Tuipulotu pick.

The free agent market at tight end is not particularly enticing, especially considering the run-blocking skillset the Chargers need. Geoff Swaim is still available, and he has familiarity with Moore, who was his teammate with the Cowboys from 2015-17, while Moore was still playing as a reserve quarterback. Moore then transitioned to quarterbacks coach in 2018, which was Swaim’s final year in Dallas. Former Broncos tight end Eric Tomlinson is another free agent run-blocking option.

Comment

• WindsorUK
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Windsor, U.K.
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
            RB and TE I'm not worried about (I know I'm in the minority here).
            I'm worried more about slot-CB and FS.

Luckily, I know there are quality FA's (Callahan and John Johnson) out there.
            Guys that know the defensive scheme and won't cost too much.

The off-season isn't over yet.
            TT said before the draft... there are lots of ways to improve your team. Draft, free agency, and trade.
            I'm 100% banking on those guys being here as the reason we chose not address either position this past weekend.
            If they're not, the back end of our D is in BIG trouble.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Well basically the above is what Telesco/Staley are counting on - the health of those key players that were not all healthy last year. Well Mack and Ek were. Slater, MW, KA and Bosa all had injuries

At this point - I still see an issue with depth at certain positions. I don't like the depth of the TE room. Interior OL - see what McFadden brings but Jaimes and Clapp are just a couple guys

The Running back position - unless its Spiller - not a fan of it.

WR I think has improved with the draft picks

Safety - need to bring in depth I would think. I think Callahan will not be back

JJ3, Floyd and a guy like Aboushi

And if this thing goes sideways - will be the biggest firesale at the trade deadline in NFL history and TElesco will be gone
              Actually Staley said they really like their TE group as well as the DB group. They seem really high on Parham for some reason. I think he is meh. He also mentioned Everett having a career season for him and how he played really well in the playoff game. IDK....Everett likely gone after the season. I guess we will draft a TE next year.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
                Telesco gave Ekeler the upper hand since he didn’t draft a RB. Chargers might have to sweeten the deal some for this season or Ekeler could really screw things up.

I’m gobsmacked the team did absolutely nothing to leverage themselves into a better RB situation versus being 100% dependent on what Ekeler decides to do.

It’s like, we are begging you to play but it’s on our terms m*thrf*kr. Shades of Lord of No Rings
                Id have liked to draft a RB and had my favs but it isnt a huge deal. They obviously like Spiller and us fans arent enamored because he didnt play much. I think he will be a good player and they can stilkl trade Ekeler and sign a vet, ot make a trade....though the latter isnt in Telescos bag of tricks.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Id have liked to draft a RB and had my favs but it isnt a huge deal. They obviously like Spiller and us fans arent enamored because he didnt play much. I think he will be a good player and they can stilkl trade Ekeler and sign a vet, ot make a trade....though the latter isnt in Telescos bag of tricks.
                  If they like Spiller they have a funny way of showing it

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Actually Staley said they really like their TE group as well as the DB group. They seem really high on Parham for some reason. I think he is meh. He also mentioned Everett having a career season for him and how he played really well in the playoff game. IDK....Everett likely gone after the season. I guess we will draft a TE next year.
                    I felt that way last year going into the season but Parham is just too fragile it seems. He’s got great skill so it’s a shame. Everett is a solid TE but needs to eliminate the one mental error he seems to make each game. Maybe they really like Stone Smartt?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Duggan is going to be a better QB than you might think. But, there's no denying he has a weak-ass arm. I'm sure, like me, you saw all the under-thrown passes while watching video of our two new WRs. He might be a good game manager if he wins the back up role and ever has to relieve Herbert, but his down field throws are weaker than Tua's.
                      I dont think Duggan is going to amount to anything. Just like Stick hasnt.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                        Not a single favorite of mine drafted in any round this year...no one...and yet, I can't pan this draft...it is actually quite good. Very efficient in bolstering team depth and development, with many of these players having immediate opportunities to impact on Sunday. Adding a dynamic threat at the TE position was important to me...but evidently they feel the room is good, and McKitty and Parnham are gonna get another season to show the goods...which is cool...

After getting over QJ pick, which I have very much warmed up to, I have only 1 real beef with this draft. The RB room as it stands is scary as hell to me. 28 year old Ekelor, who shouldn't be carrying a full rushing load anyways at his size, is the only proven back we have. Kelley shows promise, but the only thing he has proven is that he will miss time...and Spiller hasn't proven anything. Now, I would love nothing better than for Spiller to show up and be what we drafted him to be...but I can't rely on it. Ekelor blows his knee out week 3, we could have one of the worst RB rooms in the league overnight, and the season would be in serious jeopardy.

On the other hand, I absolutely love our 5th and 6th round picks, and I don't know that there was anybody in the 7th that was any better than a UDFA...it's clear they seem comfortable with the room as is...I guess I will just have to deal. When asked if he was gonna add a vet to that room, TT was immediately dismissive.

All in all, a good 3 days...hopefully Spiller balls out this preseason...if so, I will feel really good about this roster....if it can friggin stay healthy, that is.... lol...ne

1. Quenton Johnston B+ Sorry I can't give this an A. I am very excited for what they hope he can bring, both this season and in the future...but I still have high regard for Kincaid, Murphy, Nolan Smith, prospects we passed on...I think I may see this as an A next season...I am already feeling better about the pick...but I'm not gonna flip over that easy...I'm not a complete homer...if he turns out to be the best receiver in this class, which some analysts still believe...then it's A+...but we will see.

2. Tuli Tuipoluto A- Love the motor, production, and character of this kid...I think he has the potential to be a great #2 pass rusher, if he keeps the enthusiasm for the game he has shown thus far...and a nice boost to the group right off the bat...never say die Edge player.

3. Daiyan Henley B+ Smaller, speedier LBs are where the league is going...good processing skills and instincts...reacts fast. Can't make the tackle if you aren't in the right place...this kid will be.

4. Derius Davis C Fills a need, true...like the speed and return skills...but this is where I think there was tremendous value at RB that we missed on...so I'm really grading the pick, not the player here...and I am excited to see him on Sundays, to see what he can do.

5. Jordan McFadden A This might be the best value pick in the draft...this is Jamaree Salyer all over again. A highly accomplished Oline prospect, who just doesn't fit the position in the pros, that he played in college...but his experience and skillset and character will make him a great pro lineman...just figure out how to use him...this is how you build championship depth on the oline.

6. Scott Matlock A This might be my favorite player in our draft class..."I'm coming for souls"...this is a great place in the draft to find small school beasts who, if they acclimate to the pros, can end up being real stars, and steals in the draft...I have high hopes for this young man..

7. Max Duggen C+ This isn't a bad pick...it isn't good....it just is. You just signed Stick to a multi-year deal...a #3 pick could of been a UDFA...but who else you gonna pick in the 7th? I do like the character, and what he will do for the QB room...kid's a winner, even if he is low on pro arm talent...Herbie needs some dawgs in that QB room with him...I like Duggen and Stick for those roles.

Overall A- Despite missing out on what I think was a big need(RB)...we seemed to address many other depth/development needs on this roster with solid picks....I don't see any egregious reaches, or long term projects here...these are all players that I think are gonna offer something, if needed, as early as their first season...even Duggan as a camp/practice hand and film room contributor...there are no Trey Pipkins to wait on here, or medical redshirts...if so needed due to injury, I think every player but Duggan could step in and play this season...very effecient, value laden draft
                        1 year deal

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                          Beef Before Gazelles
                          • May 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                          Maybe they really like Stone Smartt?
                          I've thought about that, too. Smartt obviously has some traits the coaches value, but it's difficult for me to imagine that he's somehow going to be able to rachet things up to a higher level, at this stage of things. It's not like he's new to American Football and just starting to get things figured out. Although it would be great if he did.

Historically, the 49ers have had such a wide array of offensive threats that teammates with Smartt-level ability weren't given adequate coverage, and they shined in spot duty. IMO, that's Smartt's ceiling with the Chargers.

Comment

Working...
                          X