• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ghost of Quacksaw
    Beef Before Gazelles
    • May 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Palmer and Williams ran in the lower 4.5s. Keenan was in the 4.7's. But to your point, getting someone with more speed could help - if if translated onto the field. Guyton ran a 4.39 but was extremely limited as a WR.
    Keenan ran a 4.7 at his Pro Day-- and it cost him in the draft-- but he was still getting over a knee injury. People were expecting him to run a 4.55, or a 4.53 which is a speed totally reflected in how he's played AFTER recovering from that injury.

Comment

• Air Coryell
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2021
      • Carlsbad, CA
      • Teacher, Coach, CFO
      • Send PM

Round 1 - take best available edge or DL, or trade down

Comment

• SAY OW 55
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2023
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I’ve looked at tape, he’s a good receiver. 4.5 speed is a lot more formidable in college than it is in the NFL. He’ll be a good receiver, he’s just not the guy to take the top off the defense that we are missing. We already have really good receivers that run 4.5. In fact, all of our receivers are good receivers that run 4.5,

We need a burner who can also take kick return duties.
        Jerry Rice ran a 4.6 in his combine.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by SAY OW 55 View Post
          Jerry Rice ran a 4.6 in his combine.
          Are you saying he’s Jerry Rice? CBs didnt run 4.4 back in the 80s either, everyone is faster (how I’d like to know). If his 40 time doesn’t reflect his speed, I can’t judge that and will defer to the experts, If it does- he’s not the burner to tear the top off against today’s DBs. Doesnt mean he won’t be a great receiver, if its to replace Slayer than maybe its the best pick. Just not the top-tearing COMPLIMENT to our current receiver group. I think, idunno.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

1st #21 Jahmyr Gibbs RB Alabama - like Deebo Samuel but faster, will need to work on pass blocking (I don't think Bijan will be there and I don't see a trade up for him)

2nd #54 Andre Carter II Edge/LB Army - fluid, fast, and aggressive tackling machine, an elite athlete considering his size, sideline to sideline defender

3rd #85 Jaquelin Roy DT LSU - 6-3, 305, substantial mass in the ass, can rush the QB from inside, knows how to swat down passes

4th #125 Trey Palmer WR Nebraska - 4.33 speed (Combine fastest), 6-0 192lbs, strong hands, tracks deep ball well, can take the top off a defense

5th #156 Josh Whyle TE Cincinnati - 6-5 248lbs, long and lanky, broad shoulders to carry more weight in the NFL, moves very well for a big man

6th #200 DeMarcco Hellams S Alabama - 6-1 203lbs - Derwin James light

7th #239 Bryce Ford-Wheaton WR West Virginia - 6-3 221lbs, 4.38 40 - stocking up on speed at WR. This kid is big, tall and fast. Like MW with speed.

Comment

• SAY OW 55
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2023
              • Send PM

Are you saying he’s Jerry Rice? CBs didnt run 4.4 back in the 80s either, everyone is faster (how I’d like to know). If his 40 time doesn’t reflect his speed, I can’t judge that and will defer to the experts, If it does- he’s not the burner to tear the top off against today’s DBs. Doesnt mean he won’t be a great receiver, if its to replace Slayer than maybe its the best pick. Just not the top-tearing COMPLIMENT to our current receiver group. I think, idunno.
              I’m just saying you can’t always go by a 40. The best NFL player ran a 4.6 who knows maybe he is Jerry Rice all I’m saying is he can run slants. Look at the production. When you get off here go look at the touchdown he had against UCLA the throw from Caleb Williams. Full speed in stride down the sidelines makes the catch secures it then make sure he stays in bounds. That’s a hall of fame play. Not many NFL players can do that.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                We Are The Storm!
                • Aug 2018
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                1st #21 Jahmyr Gibbs RB Alabama - like Deebo Samuel but faster, will need to work on pass blocking (I don't think Bijan will be there and I don't see a trade up for him)

2nd #54 Andre Carter II Edge/LB Army - fluid, fast, and aggressive tackling machine, an elite athlete considering his size, sideline to sideline defender

3rd #85 Jaquelin Roy DT LSU - 6-3, 305, substantial mass in the ass, can rush the QB from inside, knows how to swat down passes

4th #125 Trey Palmer WR Nebraska - 4.33 speed (Combine fastest), 6-0 192lbs, strong hands, tracks deep ball well, can take the top off a defense

5th #156 Josh Whyle TE Cincinnati - 6-5 248lbs, long and lanky, broad shoulders to carry more weight in the NFL, moves very well for a big man

7th #239 Bryce Ford-Wheaton WR West Virginia - 6-3 221lbs, 4.38 40 - stocking up on speed at WR. This kid is big, tall and fast. Like MW with speed.
                Nice mock except I never see Wheaton lasting till the 7th.Would be an awesome haul tho.Me personally I would wanna grab at least one G or C cuz our O line depth pretty much sucks.

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Solid draft, I’m in. (though agree BG, IOL would be nice..)

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Darryl Green was the fastest player in the NFL for much of his career, which spanned 20 years. He was drafted in 1983.

Then you have Deione. There were fast CBs.
                    Anquan Boldon ran a 4.7 as well and had a great career.

Jerry Rice plays fast..full speed all the time. Other players don't do that, even the fast ones.
                    Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-23-2023, 06:44 PM.

Comment

• Rugger05
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Here is Poppers mock which I generally like. Really like the Gaines pick in RD 5. I am torn between TE or Edge in RD 1. I do believe those two need to be the first two picks, Unless they trade Eckler, then I am afraid what TT would do when he tries to trade up....

go-deeper
                      GO DEEPER

Chargers depth chart: Where does the roster stand after first wave of free agency? Round 1, Pick 21: Dalton Kincaid, TE, Utah

The Chargers were able to keep their tight end room intact this offseason. Gerald Everett will return for his second season, and the Chargers were able to iron out a deal with Parham after initially opting not to tender the restricted free agent. But the team is expecting to use more two tight end sets — or 12 personnel — in Kellen Moore’s new offense. The Cowboys ranked ninth in 12 personnel usage last year at 22.4 percent, according to TruMedia. The Chargers ranked 18th. Some of that came down to injuries. Parham, of course, missed most of the season with a hamstring and a concussion. Some of it, too, was talent and skill sets.

Brandon Staley believes in using tight ends as a way to create mismatches and keep defenses guessing between run and pass. Staley has also spent two seasons watching Travis Kelce torch his defense for almost 500 yards receiving and five touchdowns over four games. The Chargers want a difference-maker at tight end, and this is a great draft to find that player. Kincaid is a premium pass catcher. We will see if he makes it to 21. He went 16th in our beat writer mock draft earlier this week.
                      go-deeper
                      GO DEEPER

NFL Beat Writer Mock Draft 2.0: QBs go quickly, a surprise trade and an Aaron Rodgers stalemate Round 2, Pick 54: Isaiah Foskey, edge, Notre Dame

The Chargers have not addressed their need for a rotational edge rusher behind Khalil Mack and Joey Bosa. Kyle Van Noy filled the role last season, and while he played well down the stretch, it took him most of the season to find his pass-rushing form. Chris Rumph II is best in a fourth edge rusher and special teams role. If the Chargers head into the draft with this spot still unfilled, I think they have to take an edge rusher on Day 1 or 2. They could have some options in Round 1. Georgia’s Nolan Smith and Iowa’s Lukas Van Ness were both available when I picked at 21 in the beat writer mock. But the better route, to me, is finding an offensive playmaker in the first round. Foskey is a really interesting high-upside prospect. He is athletic, long and big with proven production as a college player. Foskey had 10 sacks in 2021 and 10 1/2 sacks in 2022. Round 3, Pick 85: Nathaniel Dell, WR, Houston

Dell, who goes by the nickname Tank, is undersized at 5-foot-8 3/8 and 165 pounds. But he would certainly give the Chargers the explosive element they need in their receiver room. Dell caught 109 passes for 1,398 yards and 17 touchdowns last season at Houston, and he is already a polished separator. His speed did not show up at the combine. He ran a 4.49 40-yard dash. This seems like a scenario in which testing numbers do not necessarily align with play speed. Dell topped out at 20.16 miles per hour during Senior Bowl practices, according to our Dane Brugler, which was the third-fastest top speed of any receiver. The Chargers personnel department typically values GPS tracking data and play speed on film more than 40-yard dash figures when evaluating wide receiver speed. The team does not have much depth behind its starting receiving trio of Keenan Allen, Mike Williams and Joshua Palmer. Dell can also return punts, and DeAndre Carter — the team’s returner in 2022 — remains a free agent. Round 4, Pick 125: Byron Young, DL, Alabama

Fox is back in the fold, but I still have concerns over the Chargers’ interior defensive line depth. Austin Johnson and Otito Ogbonnia are both coming off significant knee injuries. The Chargers did not tender Breiden Fehoko, who is on the open market. I think an early Day 3 pick on an interior defensive lineman makes sense. Young’s best trait is his run defending, and he has the type of length the Chargers like on the interior with nearly 34.5-inch arms.

The Chargers need help on the defensive interior and Alabama’s Byron Young brings run-stopping ability. (Kirby Lee / USA Today) Round 5, Pick 156: Jon Gaines II, IOL, UCLA

The Chargers cut left guard Matt Feiler to save cap space last week. Jamaree Salyer is slated to take over Feiler’s spot, and the Chargers have a really solid starting five lined up for 2023: Rashawn Slater at LT, Salyer at LG, Corey Linsley at C, Zion Johnson at RG and Pipkins at RT. But they need to add depth on the interior. Brenden Jaimes, a 2021 fifth-round pick, is the only interior lineman on the roster with regular-season game experience, and he has struggled in his minimal playing time. Gaines’ testing numbers match up with some of the best guards in the game, from Joel Bitonio to Ali Marpet to Joe Thuney. He started games at center, guard and tackle for the Bruins. With his athleticism, Gaines would be a really tantalizing developmental interior piece to compete with Jaimes. The Chargers could also bring back Will Clapp to be the primary backup for Linsley if they want a more experienced depth center. Even if Clapp returns, I think the Chargers should draft an interior lineman on Day 3. Round 6, Pick 200: Mekhi Blackmon, CB, USC

Staley has targeted defensive backs with three of his seven Day 3 picks in his first two Chargers drafts. He took Georgia safety Mark Webb Jr. in the seventh round in 2021, and he took Ja’Sir Taylor and Deane Leonard in the sixth and seventh rounds, respectively, in 2022. We are going to continue that trend in our Mock 2.0. Blackmon lacks size, but he is feisty as a press-man corner. He also has experience playing in the slot, and Staley covets position flexibility. The Chargers are a little thin at cornerback considering the uncertainty surrounding J.C. Jackson, who is rehabbing a ruptured patellar tendon. Taylor is also penciled in as the starter in the slot as it stands. More competition there would be beneficial. Round 7, Pick 239: Anthony Johnson Jr., DB, Iowa State

Johnson played cornerback for his first four years at Iowa State before converting to safety for his final season. He broke the school Big 12 record with 54 starts over five seasons. Staley will always be looking to add defensive backs in the draft, and Johnson would provide experience and versatility. With Nasir Adderley retiring, JT Woods and Raheem Layne are the backup safeties on the roster. The depth situation could change if the Chargers sign John Johnson III, who played for Staley with the Rams in 2020.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Rugger05 View Post
                        I am torn between TE or Edge in RD 1.
                        Me too...and IDL...

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Rugger05 View Post
                          Brenden Jaimes, a 2021 fifth-round pick, is the only interior lineman on the roster with regular-season game experience, and he has struggled in his minimal playing time.
                          ^ This...I think the Bolts need to draft IOL in rounds 3-5 and also sign a decent veteran FA IOL...

Comment

Working...
                          X