• Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

That is a good post.

All we hear about the Chargers this off season is about PHYSICALITY and RUN GAME. I agree Alt is the best left tackle prospect and a good overall tackle prospect who deserves the #1 tackle ranking, BUT if the Chargers are really focused on a dominant run game and playing power football then you can see them liking the 2 natural right tackles who are the nastiest, most physical and powerful run blockers in Latham and Fuaga....which from all accounts and work outs they do. if they pull off the trade down i assume it is for one f these two guys.
    I'd feel a lot better trading down a bit and choosing Latham or Fuaga instead of taking Alt @#5...for the following reasons:

1. Better a natural RT than hoping a LT transitions successfully to RT.
    2. Better physical dudes than a finesse guy (Alt) for our ground game
    3. Better RT's who know going in that they'll earn RT money, instead of a LT expecting LT money when contract renewal time comes.
    4. Better to trade down and get another pick or picks than to stay @#5...we have a lot of holes to fill
    5. I'm still not sold on Alt's footwork to mirror speedy edge rushers.

Comment

• Charge!
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
      If we stay at 5....i still dont mind Bowers there but if not, then it has to be MHJ, Nabers.....or Odunze as i really like him too.
      I agree..... all of those would fill major needs and have a big impact...... I do believe a great TE will have the greatest impact....especially immediately...... and he will open things up so average WR's can make plays.....

Comment

• Jack Burton
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2023
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

I agree..... all of those would fill major needs and have a big impact...... I do believe a great TE will have the greatest impact....especially immediately...... and he will open things up so average WR's can make plays.....
        I’m also seeing more and more of the pundits starting to say that who cares if Bowers goes 5, he’s basically an elite WR who can block and line up all over the field.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

I think the only real debate at 5 is whether to take Harrison or Bowers who are the 2 best players in this draft and both are generational......Bowers might be best TE in history.....

All 3 of those WR's, would definitely improve our passing game but not as much as Bowers, who is the purest definition of a Harbaugh type of tough nasty offensive playmaker!.... and Chargers have not had a great TE in many years.....Harbaugh tried really hard to get him to come to Michigan....

Chargers will be playing with 2 TE's and one WR most of the time...and sometimes 2 WR..... making Bowers the perfect fit.....tough, fast, clutch, and run and catch and block....Bowers would instantly be our best receiver..... and can play inline, out wide or in backfield..... most complete playmaker in draft.....

Only issue is we may have to take him at 5 because Jets will take him at 10 and KC might jump ahead of them to steal him because Reid knows the value and impact of having a great TE who cannot be covered when it counts....

We can draft a RT in 2nd round...... or if we trade down with MIN for 11 and 23..... sadly if we trade down, we miss out on Bowers and the top 3 WR's...... but maybe we get a great OT and CB....? then WR in round 2...RB in round 3.....
          Agreed - if you trade down past 8 or 9 - you are basically removing yourself from the Top 3 WRs and Bowers. So that is kind of the deal you have to make in terms of multiple players over one high end player. So if you do trade down, you have to make you sure start with getting GREAT value for a top 5 pick. Granted, you also have to make good picks but you cannot lose the trade before you have made a pick and the Jeremiah trade for a 2nd rounder was losing the trade

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2022
            • White Rock, BC Canada
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I'd feel a lot better trading down a bit and choosing Latham or Fuaga instead of taking Alt @#5...for the following reasons:

1. Better a natural RT than hoping a LT transitions successfully to RT.
            2. Better physical dudes than a finesse guy (Alt) for our ground game
            3. Better RT's who know going in that they'll earn RT money, instead of a LT expecting LT money when contract renewal time comes.
            4. Better to trade down and get another pick or picks than to stay @#5...we have a lot of holes to fill
            5. I'm still not sold on Alt's footwork to mirror speedy edge rushers.
            Agree with all your points.

And if they are set on a tackle get extra picks, do not use a top 5 pick on a right tackle. At 5 there are WRs who many feel are the best to come out in a few years. I don't think anyone is saying Alt is the best tackle in years, the best LT in this draft maybe.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Agree with all your points.

And if they are set on a tackle get extra picks, do not use a top 5 pick on a right tackle. At 5 there are WRs who many feel are the best to come out in a few years. I don't think anyone is saying Alt is the best tackle in years, the best LT in this draft maybe.
              I just hope that three -team deal is a reality

Cardinals: move from 4 to 5, move up from 27 to 23 and probably get another pick - like a 2025 2nd or maybe FRP and get MHJr

Chargers move from 5 to 11 and get the pick at 27 and maybe another 4th rounder somewhere

MN gets their QB

WIN WIN WIN

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

I’m also seeing more and more of the pundits starting to say that who cares if Bowers goes 5, he’s basically an elite WR who can block and line up all over the field.
                That's what I think and been saying for months. He isn't your typical TE. Id pick him at 5 and not care. But again.....id be happy with one of the WRs as well. Just think Bowers can do more for the team and Herbert.

Hec we have Dissly or Hurst we can have in there and split Bowers in the slot where safeties or nickle backs will be covering him or sometimes a LB.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                  Beef Before Gazelles
                  • May 2021
                  • Send PM

Can we all agree that there will-- most likely-- be MORE than *one* legit option at #5?

I mean... if the pick were to be Bowers, that is not catastrophic to Nabers fans. If the pick is MHJ, that is not catastrophic to those who wanted to reinforce the trenches.

Personally? I think there are a number of ways that things could fall that would be an overall benefit to the Chargers. We are just not the ones on the phones getting it all sorted out.

Comment

• Javia
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2023
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post
                    Can we all agree that there will-- most likely-- be MORE than *one* legit option at #5?

I mean... if the pick were to be Bowers, that is not catastrophic to Nabers fans. If the pick is MHJ, that is not catastrophic to those who wanted to reinforce the trenches.

Personally? I think there are a number of ways that things could fall that would be an overall benefit to the Chargers. We are just not the ones on the phones getting it all sorted out.
                    Quite true. We all have our favorite prospects, but it is up to Harbaugh and Hortiz. I get the feeling that they will not be picking any of my favorites, but that is okay. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for a few years. WR, TE, OT, DE, CB...whatever. As long as they win.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Nothing to do with truth. It's all opinion.

the hypothetical posed by Mr wu-dai clan was no trades, we're at 5, who do you pick. Make your pick. I made mine.
                      I'm not committed to anyone after Marvin Harrison, Jr. is gone. I like Alt and the three pass-rushers a lot. I don't love them.

Why is Alt a Telesco reach in your mind?

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

11? Uh...no. Alt, Fuaga, Olu, Fautanu, Latham, Mims, Guyton...and in most years, defense would be better at Edge and DT, and Mims and Guyton would be pushed out to early second...one "might" slip to second...but doubt 37.

IMO, any tackles after that would struggle to improve upon Pip. Suamataia maybe...but not by much...and thats being generous. Has size and tools, but makes mistakes...if we dont like Pip, dont dick around...improve the position!
                        It's actually the opposite of what the "We must draft a playmaker in the first round" crowd says. There are loads of talented receivers expected to last beyond the second round. It seems to be much more unlikely that we'll be able to get a starting right tackle after the top of the second round. That's fine if you really believe Malik Nabers and Rome Odunze are generational. I don't.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                          If we stay at 5....i still dont mind Bowers there but if not, then it has to be MHJ, Nabers.....or Odunze as i really like him too.
                          It doesn't have to be Nabers or Odunze if Harrison isn't there. Many more options to go with, in spite of what the mock draft nerds say.

Comment

Working...
                          X