• wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Here u go...Fuaga tops Alt in run blocking:

image.png
    image.png

Regarding run blocking ranking and your the disconnect with what you said your preferences were earlier...

Alt is overall several notches above Fuaga in talent level and draft ranking.

Alt is not a finesse player at all, which is the HUGE misconception.

Don't cherrypick, distort or sensationalize, tell the full football truth.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

Have you guys watched the tape on Fuaga? It’s at times comical what he does to opposing players. He just rag dolls players around the field.
      Consistency, ie being effective on every play is far more significsnt towards playing winning football.

While Fuaga would be destroying one defender, Alt would be busy looking for work on defenders who need to be blocked additionally for the play to succeed.

Posters are IMV conflating as well as misperceiving play style with talent level, and they end up undervaluing Alt.

The proof will be in the pudding.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

The PFF Draft Guide was just released.
        You might want to have a look.
        Can I see it if I don't subscribe?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Can I see it if I don't subscribe?
          I don't think so.
          It looks better than ever as one of the main sources to finalize draft thoughts.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Regarding run blocking ranking and your the disconnect with what you said your preferences were earlier...

Alt is overall several notches above Fuaga in talent level and draft ranking.

Alt is not a finesse player at all, which is the HUGE misconception.

Don't cherrypick, distort or sensationalize, tell the full football truth.
            If I'm wrong on Alt, my apologies...he appears to be a solid overall prospect...I just want to make real sure our next tackle has good enough footwork to keep up with the speedier edge rushers...hopefully I'm wrong...may be an overreaction to the years of watching the likes of Pip, Norton, Barksdale, Clary, etc...

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post
              Have you guys watched the tape on Fuaga? It’s at times comical what he does to opposing players. He just rag dolls players around the field.
              Yep...watch how Fuaga drives Latu back at will at 0:42:

Bobby Skinner uses All 22 Footage to watch UCLA EDGE Laiatu Latu and Oregon St OT Taliese Fuaga ahead of the NFL DraftFeaturing: Bobby SkinnerEdited by: Jeff

Also, a nice breakdown at 0:58 on Fuaga's quick footwork vs. Latu...first counters him outside, then when Latu tries to go inside, Fuaga shuts him down:

Bobby Skinner uses All 22 Footage to watch UCLA EDGE Laiatu Latu and Oregon St OT Taliese Fuaga ahead of the NFL DraftFeaturing: Bobby SkinnerEdited by: Jeff

Comment

• Jack Burton
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2023
                • Send PM

Consistency, ie being effective on every play is far more significsnt towards playing winning football.

While Fuaga would be destroying one defender, Alt would be busy looking for work on defenders who need to be blocked additionally for the play to succeed.

Posters are IMV conflating as well as misperceiving play style with talent level, and they end up undervaluing Alt.

The proof will be in the pudding.
                I like Alt too, bro..

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Fuaga's run blocking grade on zone concepts was 91.3, and something that Alt is much better at, than say power gap blocking, and....

Fuaga's pff run blocking grade was 90.9.... 4.5 points higher than the next nearest OT.

as I mentioned before, don't think you can say either has detriment enough to take him off your board, and 'tis more a matter of which player you prefer as a Charger ??
                  5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

- He's average-to-good in rush blocking. Actually Alt is very good in run blocking. Above average in "getting there", but below average in power at the point of attack the distinction is that he is above average but not elite when drive blocking from his stance.- is that the JH2 type of power rush blocker? Yes. We will pull Alt frequently. smarter analysis is required, I don't think so but ?
                    - He's elite pass pro against college speed rushers - check!
                    - He's below average against power rushers - college level power rushers at that. Its in his tape. Sometimes. Not often enough to be of major concern.

*Average = average of actual starting OTs, not average of all humans

Add it all up - he is short of elite imho. He is good, obviously >>> a Pipkins type of OT. Just not "elite". Again, jmho and I am not a professional scout. I am eager to learn from more expert individuals on where my analyses are flawed, I simply ask for the underlying analytical details of such conclusions. I can't learn anything from the fact you invoke an "expert".
                    And now I circle back to this post.
                    Better than McGlinchey-not as good as Sewell.
                    Of Sewell it was said predraft, he is immature as to work ethic, and a vet can guide him with that. Any perceived risk is worth it due to tremendous upside.
                    Alt too is young. He is trending up and has excellent work ethic. This is a large part of projecting him being fine on the right side.

I think of impact. A complete quality offensive line from left to right would be central to our entire success. These weapons are very good. It is a very close judgement call. And again a debate we must have.

Now to spitball. Salyer is here to conduct serious business. Where's Pipkins ? I was patiently supporting his snail like development. We are not here to massage his testicles after Telesco gave him that contract. I think him, Spiller and Woods are going to get weeded out. I challenge these gentlemen to prove me wrong.

Prediction: Pipkins is traded to the Raiders for a round 6 pick.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Joe Alt is the best overall OT. Fuaga is the best run-blocking OT in the draft.
                      If we get Alt@#5... Nutty is happy.
                      If we get Fuaga @#11... Nutty is happy.

The #11 pick excites me more... because #23 comes with it.
                      The #23 pick will allow us to improve the defense... something we have ignored for several drafts.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                        Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                        • Feb 2019
                        • McLean Illinois
                        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post
                        Can we all agree that there will-- most likely-- be MORE than *one* legit option at #5?

I mean... if the pick were to be Bowers, that is not catastrophic to Nabers fans. If the pick is MHJ, that is not catastrophic to those who wanted to reinforce the trenches.

Personally? I think there are a number of ways that things could fall that would be an overall benefit to the Chargers. We are just not the ones on the phones getting it all sorted out.
                        NO!!! THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!.... Dont you know this forum is filled with Highlander fans?
                        Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

If I'm wrong on Alt, my apologies...he appears to be a solid overall prospect...I just want to make real sure our next tackle has good enough footwork to keep up with the speedier edge rushers...hopefully I'm wrong...may be an overreaction to the years of watching the likes of Pip, Norton, Barksdale, Clary, etc...
                          It is ALL subject to differing opinions and debate, Cat.
                          One thing is for certain.
                          Each of your legitimate concerns has been addressed, satisfactorily, even correctly, or not by the real experts.
                          Yours and dmac's ELITE draftnik status is confirmed.
                          Grind on.
                          But you better get it right by April 25.

Comment

Working...
                          X