• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

In the last 5 drafts, an average of 15 receivers have been drafted by the mid-4th round. I count 20 WR's in this year's draft that are legitimate NFL starters (Malik Washington being in the 15-20 range). They are saying this is the best WR in many years... and we have a HC who knows all of them. He either recruited them, played them, or watched them closely for the last 3-4 years. I am confident in WR in the 4th. And unlike a lot of people, I think JP is very under-rated... and QJ wasn't used to his strengths last year. If you look at QJ's last 6 games (and extrapolated that out to 17 games)... he was an 85 receptions type receiver.

What if we had a #1 and #2 WR already on the roster... and just didn't know it. What if Harbaugh knew it...?

Harbaugh might have watched them closely and come to a determination contrary to yours.

Most drafts do not have quality receivers available after day 2.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2022
      • White Rock, BC Canada
      • Send PM

In the last 5 drafts, an average of 15 receivers have been drafted by the mid-4th round. I count 20 WR's in this year's draft that are legitimate NFL starters (Malik Washington being in the 15-20 range). They are saying this is the best WR in many years... and we have a HC who knows all of them. He either recruited them, played them, or watched them closely for the last 3-4 years. I am confident in WR in the 4th. And unlike a lot of people, I think JP is very under-rated... and QJ wasn't used to his strengths last year. If you look at QJ's last 6 games (and extrapolated that out to 17 games)... he was an 85 receptions type receiver.

What if we had a #1 and #2 WR already on the roster... and just didn't know it. What if Harbaugh knew it...?
      Take a good look around the NFL at other teams WR talent, and then come back to me telling me these two are #1 WRs. QJ, maybe with alot of coaching...in a few years. We all talk about the Chargers improving the OL, well WR is right there with CB as the weakest positions on this team. You dont replace Keenan and Mike with hope. That is not sound team building.

Just because it is the best WR draft in many years I dont want to pass up the top talent and pass on the top 15 guys. Seems like a wasted opportunity. I have Malik about 18. He is also a slot WR and I think we need a better overall WR as an infusion into a weak group.

What if we have defenders on the roster who can play better without an incompetent play caller?

Boltnut you might be able to sell some of us on passing on 3 absolute WR studs who are top 5 overall players in this draft on many experts boards with our top pick, but expecting us to wait until round 4 in this WR feast is a bit much lol

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2022
        • White Rock, BC Canada
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Jrock1970 View Post

Lol....I've done more mocks than I can count and many of them I didn't get a reciever til 3rd round on... and still picked up 2-3 that I feel good about. Our reciever cupboard isn't bare....just lean. Palmer is pretty good, Guyton is decent if he can stay healthy and QJ could turn out to be a legit #1 or very good #2.
        Puhlease can we stop talking about the 2nd coming of Guyton lol. He caught a couple of long balls 3 years ago. He isnt even on the team anymore. I had enough last year of "wait until Guyton gets back" lol

Palmer is ok, good 3rd WR, passable WR2 if need be, good hands but lets not forget he is another Charger receiver who lacks seperation.

Comment

• Jrock1970
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Mar 2024
          • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Puhlease can we stop talking about the 2nd coming of Guyton lol. He caught a couple of long balls 3 years ago. He isnt even on the team anymore. I had enough last year of "wait until Guyton gets back" lol

Palmer is ok, good 3rd WR, passable WR2 if need be, good hands but lets not forget he is another Charger receiver who lacks seperation.
          Lol...I didn't realize he wasn't. Guyton nothing special but was decent. Only point is that the sky hasn't fallen. Teams have surely succeeded without a presumptive HOF WR on the roster. Anyone thinking we need one must not remember the Patriots run of success. I'm not saying we shouldn't assemble the best players we can, I'm only saying 3 really good recievers are statistically better than 1 great one with a few passable ones....lol

Comment

• Lone Bolt
            Oline-Tip of the Spear...
            • Feb 2019
            • McLean Illinois
            • Pipefitter Illinois State University
            • Send PM

I see what you are doing...trying to get inside Jim's head...

Me too...

Constant stressing of the importance of oline...lotta talk about building from the inside out...looking out Latham and Fuaga, who most would agree you dont take at 5...he wants out, badly...dont think he believes for a minute that the big 3 are cant miss prospects for HIS vision. He is a TEAM builder, not a star collector. Outside of the recently hyped JJ, name me a first round star on that CHAMPIONSHIP MI team? How about the SF team that went to the SB? Gore was a RB...Crabtree? Please...Stanford? Luck, and Gearhart who was successful because of the oline and scheme. Didnt stick in the pros.

Look folks...Im not telling you what Jim is gonna do...some of us are just trying to point out that dealing in absolutes is futile. Jim may not think he needs MHjr or Nabors, because he has won everywhere, without having these electric playmakers on his roster.

If we stay at 5, and take a wr, it wouldnt shock me...but neither would waiting until the 3rd or 4th to address the position. Its not crazy...its just Jim.
            Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Harbaugh has coached college and the pros, he knows the difference.

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

I see what you are doing...trying to get inside Jim's head...

Me too...

Constant stressing of the importance of oline...lotta talk about building from the inside out...looking out Latham and Fuaga, who most would agree you dont take at 5...he wants out, badly...dont think he believes for a minute that the big 3 are cant miss prospects for HIS vision. He is a TEAM builder, not a star collector. Outside of the recently hyped JJ, name me a first round star on that CHAMPIONSHIP MI team? How about the SF team that went to the SB? Gore was a RB...Crabtree? Please...Stanford? Luck, and Gearhart who was successful because of the oline and scheme. Didnt stick in the pros.

Look folks...Im not telling you what Jim is gonna do...some of us are just trying to point out that dealing in absolutes is futile. Jim may not think he needs MHjr or Nabors, because he has won everywhere, without having these electric playmakers on his roster.

If we stay at 5, and take a wr, it wouldnt shock me...but neither would waiting until the 3rd or 4th to address the position. Its not crazy...its just Jim.
                If the Cardinals fuck up and leave MHJ there @#5... Hortiz will take him. Because he is a BPA kinda guy. Which is why I'm 99% sure that Arizona will take him @#4. Now, I know the gun-toting, Mardi Gras attending Nabers has gotten a lot of hype lately... but you also have to consider they've had visits with 4th/5th round WR prospects... Brendan Rice, Ainias Smith, and Anthony Gould. They've also told us that they will be looking at post draft cuts @WR.

It's not you and I that are trying to get inside Jim's head... he is being pretty upfront about his thinking.
                We are a much better team with a trade-back. #11 is perfect for RT. The #23 is perfect for a defensive prospect... CB, DT, LB are huge needs. People are pretending that JP and QJ are bigger question marks than Pipkins. They are either so shiny-toy oriented... or they don't fully understand the Harbaugh/Roman philosophy.

Joshua Palmer (Day2) and QJ (Day1) are much better than any of the starters @RT, CB2, DT1, LB1.
                Football is the ultimate team sport... people need to start thinking about the draft in those terms.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Good question. I was going to post something along these lines earlier but didn't, primarily from lack of study as unusually do, but we don't need a QB.

Hard to say since we don't know their work ethic but I think Daniels will struggle. I think Penix will struggle. Well hec I think many of them will struggle as rookies if they start but I think Nix and JJ have good work ethic..

Caleb is like Russell Wilson and holds the ball too long and will get sacked more in the NFL. But I like his improvising and will make plays. Throws ridiculous arm angles and has a fast release and throws well on the run. If he applies himself, I like him.

Hard to say but if I have to pick winners here, I'd go with Caleb and JJ and Nix.....and Rattler eventually.

Busts I'll go with Penix and Maye. Maye doesn't have a quick release and has an average arm. Idk...he is ok in college. Think he will struggle. Penix , panics, no touch on the ball.

Daniels not a bust but gonna struggle and may have injury problems.
                  ​​​
                  Just my thoughts on it.
                  Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'm looking for ways to keep things interesting until the draft gets here. This board has worked over every possible draft scenario for the Chargers. It has gotten stale. I really don't know what to make of this QB class. You know there are going to be some busts. There always are, and even the top-rated prospects are busts about 50 percent of the time. I also question the ability of NFL scouts and coaches evaluate college QB prospects. It was obvious to me, sitting on my couch in California that the decisions they were making in Carolina to draft a 5-10 QB with a #1 overall pick was going to be a disaster. I still don't understand why they made that decision. Bryce Young is the type of player you take with the last pick in the draft, not the first.

I like Bo Nix in this draft to better than expected. I don't have an opinion on the others, I don't follow college football closely enough. I watched JJ McCarthy in two games - the Rose Bowl and the National Championship. I don't have an opinion on him really, he didn't do much. So I'm neither impressed nor unimpressed. It does seem the run game carried Michigan's offense, not McCarthy. Drake Maye I thought was going to be the next Justin Herbert, so similar in many ways. We'll see.

Comment

• Jack Burton
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2023
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...good wideouts can be had in the mid to late rounds...good D-linemen and OT's on the other hand, are much more scarce and need to be drafted early...
                    Dan Wolkenstein Of Chargers Unleashed Podcast was at the facility yesterday. Asked Gus Edwards some questions.
                    He said buckle up. He got the overwhelming sense O line is how these guys view a successful team. Harbaugh wasn’t exaggerating when he talked about how the Oline is the most important position on the team. He just got a sense that WRs are not a high, high priority in this draft. From his podcast today, he thinks that defense and O line will be prioritized.
                    He did say that Nabers is the perfect nightmare for this offense though.

This could all be just misdirection. He also said everyone had the same answers and same vibe like it was all pre approved nothing speak. so who knows…

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

Dan Wolkenstein Of Chargers Unleashed Podcast was at the facility yesterday. Asked Gus Edwards some questions.
                      He said buckle up. He got the overwhelming sense O line is how these guys view a successful team. Harbaugh wasn’t exaggerating when he talked about how the Oline is the most important position on the team. He just got a sense that WRs are not a high, high priority in this draft. From his podcast today, he thinks that defense and O line will be prioritized.
                      He did say that Nabers is the perfect nightmare for this offense though.

This could all be just misdirection. He also said everyone had the same answers and same vibe like it was all pre approved nothing speak. so who knows…
                      It is why trading back makes a lot of sense. Chargers get draft picks and they start filling the need they want filled with players slotted closer to where they are on the draft board

So they fill a need and get extra draft capital - win win

Comment

• SAY OW 55
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2023
                        • Send PM

What’s Greg Roman talking about this offense can be special and they have a plan. What do you think they mean by that????

What hand is he tipping for draft by saying that?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by SAY OW 55 View Post
                          What’s Greg Roman talking about this offense can be special and they have a plan. What do you think they mean by that????

What hand is he tipping for draft by saying that?
                          Going to run the ball enough to keep the defense honest so they can let it rip and air that muthereffer out with Herbert

Thats what the hell he means!!!

Well that is my guess - need to run the ball to keep the defense honest to allow the passing game to explode. Plus you need a running game to kill the clock and move the chains

Comment

Working...
                          X