• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
    Run blocking isn't just mauling. If you watch Alt play, he can pancake, but you can also see him with what looks like minimum effort just turn a guy and seal him like he is opening the door for the RB. Right this way I got them walled off for you. Too easy. That what I like about Alt blocking ability. And if you watch him interview about his game. You can tell he also has a very high IQ for playing football, very technical about how and why you block it a certain way. Picks up stunts easily. Easy movement to pull and get out for screen game. Best football is ahead of him. IMV the floor for Alt is a very good starting OT and the ceiling is a future hall of famer.
    One bad thing about already having a high football IQ and a very refined technique in college is that they have already maxed those things out.
    The huge advantage that has benefited them in college will narrow considerably.

There is however a lot to like about him, for sure.

Comment

• Chargers8491
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2022
      • Send PM

I don't understand the love for drafting a LT to move to RT @5 when there are better natural RTs in the draft. I personally don't believe RT is even an early rnd need. I think Pip will be the starter.
      1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
      2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
      2b- #37 Jenkins DT
      3a- #66 Puni OT
      3b- #69 Sainristill CB
      4a- #105 Rice WR
      4b- #110 Lloyd RB
      5- #140 Green CB
      6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

What plagues our society is shooting the messenger because you don't like the message.
        you didn't post a factual detailed message. You invoked the superiority for someone else that you claim is (are?) highly credentialed. This is the problem with credentialism - it it used as a club to squelch intellectual discussion and analytical debate. And it is a plague on modern society, separate and apart from your messenger-shooting concern - which also has merit in our factionalized society and is related. The sad truth of modern society is that credentialism dominates every decision process in our society but the process of credentialism is infected with the same factionalism that drives messenger-shooting. One of the strategies employed in the eternal battle for power and control has become a battle over who controls the credentials. set that aside, it is inherently a political topic and hence inappropriate here.

I stand by my amateur detailed analysis of Alt's capabilities - summarized again:

- He's average-to-good in rush blocking. Above average in "getting there", but below average in power at the point of attack - is that the JH2 type of power rush blocker? smarter analysis is required, I don't think so but ?
        - He's elite pass pro against college speed rushers - check!
        - He's below average against power rushers - college level power rushers at that. Its in his tape.

*Average = average of actual starting OTs, not average of all humans

Add it all up - he is short of elite imho. He is good, obviously >>> a Pipkins type of OT. Just not "elite". Again, jmho and I am not a professional scout. I am eager to learn from more expert individuals on where my analyses are flawed, I simply ask for the underlying analytical details of such conclusions. I can't learn anything from the fact you invoke an "expert".

When you've done your work and have analyses to bring, just as you claimed others were not providing, we will be here. I look forward to your educated inputs to the discussion, you know much about football and I hope you will reconsider sharing some of it.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post
          I don't understand the love for drafting a LT to move to RT @5 when there are better natural RTs in the draft. I personally don't believe RT is even an early rnd need. I think Pip will be the starter.
          Agreed. Draft a RT to play RT. Don't use that kind of draft capital - unless they don't see Slater as the LT of the future

That said, if the pick is 5 -it should probably be Nabers or Marvin

If the pick is 11, that is because you are getting the necessary extra draft capital to give up a top 5 pick at which time you pick RT at 11 and WR like Thomas at 23

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

I really think discussion on the #5 pick has played itself out: they'll go BPA.

They'll either trade out or draft Harrison Jr. .... stop with the Alt worship!!

At #11? Again, they'll go with BPA.
            Is that Verse? A big need opens up next year. I clearly like Fuaga and Latham more, but I will not do the drafting.
            Bowers would also fit into that category.

Talk about getting the best defensive player there will not be how Horvitz views it.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Agreed. Draft a RT to play RT. Don't use that kind of draft capital - unless they don't see Slater as the LT of the future

That said, if the pick is 5 -it should probably be Nabers or Marvin

If the pick is 11, that is because you are getting the necessary extra draft capital to give up a top 5 pick at which time you pick RT at 11 and WR like Thomas at 23
              This is basically it: simple and straight forward.

We are still under the Telesco spell of overly complicating things.

I don't think Pip needs to be replaced immediately - but RT will be BPA at #11, and I like Thomas at #23.
              The old Raider offense: mauling RT and deep threat in your play action march to the Super Bowl.

Then we can commence with the move Pip to guard discussion.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Run blocking isn't just mauling. If you watch Alt play, he can pancake, but you can also see him with what looks like minimum effort just turn a guy and seal him like he is opening the door for the RB. Right this way I got them walled off for you. Too easy. That what I like about Alt blocking ability. And if you watch him interview about his game. You can tell he also has a very high IQ for playing football, very technical about how and why you block it a certain way. Picks up stunts easily. Easy movement to pull and get out for screen game. Best football is ahead of him. IMV the floor for Alt is a very good starting OT and the ceiling is a future hall of famer.
                Agree and i compare that to say Odunze being so smooth when he runs his routes you dont realize his speed speed til he is timed and you see 4.45 and go...damn i didnt think he was that fast.

You just need to get in the way as blocker but sure pancaking them is funner to see.

I wont call any player who hasnt taken a snap in the NFL a future HOFer though. Not that anybody called this guy that,.... but Jonah Williams is yet another underchieving Alabama OT and why Cinci didnt resign him. He went #11 i believe. I dont care who you are, even MHJ has to perform in the NFL before recieving a label. Even the abused word Generational.
                Last edited by Boltjolt; 04-02-2024, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• Critty
                  Dominate the Day.
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

You are never one player away. If they drafted Alt. It doesn't just give them an RT. It also gives them insurance for the left side. Slater is in final year of contract. We can assume they pick up the 5th year option and/or figure out a long term deal.
                  But anything can happen. Sewell was pick high and is one of the best OT in the league. Really help their run game..and also gives them insurance for left side. They Lions jumped for joy in draft room the moment they knew Sewell fell to them. He has lived up to hype. One of the best young OT. Right or Left side in the league. I think Joe Hortiz should take the BPA at #5 if he stays put. If it's a WR, then so be it. If it's Joe Alt then it is what it is. I personally think it's a bad move to say Alt is a LT let's draft a RT instead. Only draft that RT if he is actually the BPA over Alt or whoever else at any position. BPA all day.
                  Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                    I really think discussion on the #5 pick has played itself out: they'll go BPA.

They'll either trade out or draft Harrison Jr. .... stop with the Alt worship!!

At #11? Again, they'll go with BPA.
                    Is that Verse? A big need opens up next year. I clearly like Fuaga and Latham more, but I will not do the drafting.
                    Bowers would also fit into that category.

Talk about getting the best defensive player there will not be how Horvitz views it.
                    There is not on position - other than QB or K and maybe Safety that cannot use more help and depth. You mention Edge, correct as Bosa and Mack are probably in the last year of their contracts with the Chargers based on how the contract were written.

RT, Center, CB, WR, RB, TE (more pass catcher than run blocker), Edge, DT

All are needs on this offense

Its a two draft process to rebuild this thing. Just find the best players. If that means double dipping at one position because the talent when drafting is so much better than other positions, so be it.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

you didn't post a factual detailed message. You invoked the superiority for someone else that you claim is (are?) highly credentialed. This is the problem with credentialism - it it used as a club to squelch intellectual discussion and analytical debate. And it is a plague on modern society, separate and apart from your messenger-shooting concern - which also has merit in our factionalized society and is related. The sad truth of modern society is that credentialism dominates every decision process in our society but the process of credentialism is infected with the same factionalism that drives messenger-shooting. One of the strategies employed in the eternal battle for power and control has become a battle over who controls the credentials. set that aside, it is inherently a political topic and hence inappropriate here.

I stand by my amateur detailed analysis of Alt's capabilities - summarized again:

- He's average-to-good in rush blocking. Above average in "getting there", but below average in power at the point of attack - is that the JH2 type of power rush blocker? smarter analysis is required, I don't think so but ?
                      - He's elite pass pro against college speed rushers - check!
                      - He's below average against power rushers - college level power rushers at that. Its in his tape.

*Average = average of actual starting OTs, not average of all humans

Add it all up - he is short of elite imho. He is good, obviously >>> a Pipkins type of OT. Just not "elite". Again, jmho and I am not a professional scout. I am eager to learn from more expert individuals on where my analyses are flawed, I simply ask for the underlying analytical details of such conclusions. I can't learn anything from the fact you invoke an "expert".

When you've done your work and have analyses to bring, just as you claimed others were not providing, we will be here. I look forward to your educated inputs to the discussion, you know much about football and I hope you will reconsider sharing some of it.
                      Yet another disingenuous post from you.

You and I are done here.
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

You are never one player away. If they drafted Alt. It doesn't just give them an RT. It also gives them insurance for the left side. Slater is in final year of contract. We can assume they pick up the 5th year option and/or figure out a long term deal.
                        But anything can happen. Sewell was pick high and is one of the best OT in the league. Really help their run game..and also gives them insurance for left side. They Lions jumped for joy in draft room the moment they knew Sewell fell to them. He has lived up to hype. One of the best young OT. Right or Left side in the league. I think Joe Hortiz should take the BPA at #5 if he stays put. If it's a WR, then so be it. If it's Joe Alt then it is what it is. I personally think it's a bad move to say Alt is a LT let's draft a RT instead. Only draft that RT if he is actually the BPA over Alt or whoever else at any position. BPA all day.
                        I'm fine with this .... if the Chargers think Alt is the best football player, then they think this guy is a future All Pro at RT.
                        That's the position he'd be playing, most likely, the next 5 years.

I don't see it, but I don't see the nuances in the position.

Using Sewell as a reference point is probably not appropriate. I don't see a strong resemblance between the two, other than both played LT in college, and one turned out to be an excellent pro after changing positions. Most here would draft Sewell over Alt at #5 in a heart beat; so, I don't see the comparison in any way: they are two dissimilar left tackles in college.

Your first pick is only step #1 in a draft plan.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                          Vikings went to Seattle for a private workout with Pennix. Thats 5 QBs in play...if Giants trade up with AZ, which allows AZ to still get a bluechip receiver...and the Vikings still like the 5th guy...we are still alive for a trade deal...and can screw over Broncos and Raiders while we are at it!
                          Smoke screen or going the due diligence route.

We'll just opt for Pennix if your price is too high doesn't worry me in the least.
                          He'll be available at #11.

Comment

Working...
                          X