• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

"DP" and "Stone" were mentioned by Andy Bischoff (yanno our TE coach), along with "Owner of the C Gap" and "Hayden" (first name basis).
    I am getting an "inkling" of an "epic" misdirection.
    Bowers at #5.
    It's a lock.
    lol, love it. your second lock of the pre-draft TPB season. I must confess, I get more giggly about #2 than your prior LT selection. Also a solid pick, just didn't tickle me the same way.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• SuperChargedRodney37
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2024
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Thanks for the coach Bischoff suggestion. He said everything I thought I already knew about Roman and Harbaugh.

"This will be an OL Centric offense".
      "Balanced offense will make the passing game better".
      "We want to be physical on offense"... wear the other team's defense down"
      "Give our defense a breather... we want our defense fresh in the 4th quarter".

Brought tears to my eyes.
      Not a problem. Boltnut,
      I agree with everything you took from it as well. The only think I heard when they say Oline centric is that I really believe they are more focus on overall depth and development more so then a premium pick.
      I say that because this team has been so Top heavy with talented 1's but when injuries happened our second and third stringers were just not up to par with other teams. This is Big with the trenches. So I think they take advantage of this deep line draft with a lot of talent in the middle rounds of players that can be interchangeable. Build that depth and if we have a starter go down it doesn't make the line fall apart.

I'm interested to hear your opinion on what they mean by "Epic" Offense and "Best Justin has ever had"

Finally, if you're a trenches guy, have you recovered yet from when Coach said, "Vicious Players"?

Comment

• Duck of Death
        Social Piranha
        • May 2022
        • Flyover, USA
        • Send PM

The case for staying put at #5 - there are literally zero offensive playmakers on the current roster. At least none that opposing DCs will lose sleep over. Yes this draft has a lot of talented WRs, but only three that are commonly considered “can’t miss”. And honestly, just two for me since I’m out on Nabers - JMO.

The case for trading down - This roster has more holes than Sonny Corleone.

I get it, we are sitting in the tear down phase of a huge remodel project. Things are about to change drastically. But it is a little nerve wracking that sooo much is riding on this upcoming draft.

Man early April sucks.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

They want to be able to run the ball. Said every coach that ever hired in the NFL, pretty much. Chargers have been horrible running the ball - its global knowledge and an easy blurb on how to improve the team for any new coach to say they want to control the LOS and run better. Of course they mean it, every coach means it. Why, our last new HC said just that and he seemed to mean it. The difference will be this group knows how to do it.

But they will not install the identical Ravens offense. Ravens did not have a great passing QB, they had an inconsistent passing QB with extremely unique running ability. Subtract all QB runs from that Ravens 50/50 and its not 50/50 anymore. Roman and Co have said they want this offense to be epic, something never done before. Running the ball has been done before, they strive for more.

Just ask Jim and he will tell you - More is More! I am excited to see it, and yes that includes being able to pound the ball at times at will.
          In the 11 years with Telesco as GM - the Chargers were the 23rd best running team overall. I think the best was in the low teens, like 13 and 15. Many years in the bottom half dozen teams. This last year, the worst

Running the ball helps control the block, makes the defense work harder, allows you to end games with keeping possession. A running game will also keep the defense honest enough to let justin herbert be better in the passing game

For 11 years, the Chargers have been overly reliant on the QB position in the passing game because of below average running game and defenses for the most part, who were below average.

Time to change that - run the ball, play good defense and watch Justin Herbert take off

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

lol, love it. your second lock of the pre-draft TPB season. I must confess, I get more giggly about #2 than your prior LT selection. Also a solid pick, just didn't tickle me the same way.
            The Beast

--Alt #5 "high level run blocker"
            --BJT #15
            --Fuaga # 17 comp is formerJim Harbaugh SF OL kingpin Mike Iupati.
            --Mims #19 OLT/ORT flexibility; raw run blocker, plus pass blocker.

tell pbb
            tell Burton
            tell Cat
            tell the world
            DerwinBosa high five !

Gonna say it again.
            Jimbo wants a bidding war for MHJ at #5.

Just a few bullet points.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Derek Cox CB was signed at the beginning of Telesco's reign of terror.
              Telesco waived him before long.

My prediction is Hortiz and staff are gonna kill it.
              Hortiz is a grown man with more years experience than TT in his 1st year. The depth and level of experience around him is like a different universe. And we hold #5. I'm not worried.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Windsor, U.K.
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

In the 11 years with Telesco as GM - the Chargers were the 23rd best running team overall. I think the best was in the low teens, like 13 and 15. Many years in the bottom half dozen teams. This last year, the worst

Running the ball helps control the block, makes the defense work harder, allows you to end games with keeping possession. A running game will also keep the defense honest enough to let justin herbert be better in the passing game

For 11 years, the Chargers have been overly reliant on the QB position in the passing game because of below average running game and defenses for the most part, who were below average.

Time to change that - run the ball, play good defense and watch Justin Herbert take off
                Now that Telesco is gone, we can hope management allows the football braintrust( read: Harbaugh and Hortiz) to decide which players best fit their ideas of who should be on the roster. That said, the most up to date info on the official Charger website still has this:

Signing Harbaugh is the best decision this owner has ever made( yes, even better that Marty!) Here's hoping good decisions continue to be made and that means allowing the football guys to make the player personnel decisions, not family members.

Comment

• Jrock1970
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Mar 2024
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                  Let's say Chargers trade down gets #11 and #23.

There are a lot of QB needy teams.

​​​​​2 more QBs could go.

Does anyone want to jump Denver or Raiders....like Saints or Seahawks. Trade pick #11 and move back to 14 or 16 and could still get a Top 5-10 on your board if 6 QBs are gone.
                  I've thought about that for a lil while now.....mostly centered on being able to get Fuaga . Pick up maybe 11,23 and '25 2nd or 3rd, then down to 13-16 range picking up another 2nd or 3rd...still getting Fuaga at a better slot $$wise with multiple extra picks. Could be brilliant. Could be disaster.....who knows, but I'm definately intrigued

Comment

• Critty
                    Dominate the Day.
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Jrock1970 View Post

I've thought about that for a lil while now.....mostly centered on being able to get Fuaga . Pick up maybe 11,23 and '25 2nd or 3rd, then down to 13-16 range picking up another 2nd or 3rd...still getting Fuaga at a better slot $$wise with multiple extra picks. Could be brilliant. Could be disaster.....who knows, but I'm definately intrigued
                    If you have a BPA cluster of 5 players you are completely happy with while sitting at 11. Then why not move down.

Joe Hortiz could possibly have Fuaga, Newton, Latham, Verse, Latu all as top 15 non QB picks that are still there at 11. And Harbaugh staff on both sides of ball like their favorites. They could just take their guy or move down and still take one of their guys.

It stuck out to me that Hortiz said BPA and never one player away. He will be gaining many more picks by design. Trade players, trade downs, comp picks and then have the draft capital and cap space to go after a targeted player to upgrade mid season if available.
                    Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Jrock1970
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Mar 2024
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

If you have a BPA cluster of 5 players you are completely happy with while sitting at 11. Then why not move down.

Joe Hortiz could possibly have Fuaga, Newton, Latham, Verse, Latu all as top 15 non QB picks that are still there at 11. And Harbaugh staff on both sides of ball like their favorites. They could just take their guy or move down and still take one of their guys.

It stuck out to me that Hortiz said BPA and never one player away. He will be gaining many more picks by design. Trade players, trade downs, comp picks and then have the draft capital and cap space to go after a targeted player to upgrade mid season if available.
                      Absolutely. Possibility of moving down more than once and still getting players you want is dream scenario 101

Comment

• Critty
                        Dominate the Day.
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

I have only 5 front 7 defensive players as true 1st Rd picks.
                        1DT, 1LB, 3Edge
                        ​​​​
                        J.Newton

C.Gray

D.Turner
                        J.Verse
                        L.Latu

That is all for your front 7 BPA 1st Rd cluster. 5 prospects.​​​​

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Duck of Death View Post
                          The case for staying put at #5 - there are literally zero offensive playmakers on the current roster. At least none that opposing DCs will lose sleep over. Yes this draft has a lot of talented WRs, but only three that are commonly considered “can’t miss”. And honestly, just two for me since I’m out on Nabers - JMO.

The case for trading down - This roster has more holes than Sonny Corleone.

I get it, we are sitting in the tear down phase of a huge remodel project. Things are about to change drastically. But it is a little nerve wracking that sooo much is riding on this upcoming draft.

Man early April sucks.
                          For me the nerve wracking slowed way the fuck down after they hired Harbaugh and Hortiz, I had a LOT of anxiety during that hiring process, 46 years of Charger Fandom were at stake for me and that's no embellishment, later a smaller amount of anxiety before the big decisions came down to get the cap situation under control, now I'm relaxed and just excited to see what the draft brings because so many different things can happen, but I'm not worried anymore, for the first time in forever I'm not invested in one position or another or one player or another, I got so much confidence in these guys that I know they are going to build something special...it's all about waiting now and letting it unfold with the knowledge that we finally have some trustworthy folks making decisions...as for the rest of it, I'm certain that they will find some players that will make watching the chargers very entertaining again and I'm not talking about statistical rankings or fucking fantasy football, fuck all that noise, I'm talking about watching some honest to god smash you in the fucking face stay the fuck down type shit, it's been too long...
                          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

Working...
                          X