• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post
    I really feel like Bowers would be so productive with Herbert in This Particular System that he has a bigger impact on games than a stud WR. And as down on QJ as i am...i promise you Harbaugh likely feels he can unlock him. He saw first hand what he can do against his Mich team. The kid needs to shine this season though. But with Bowers being the unicorn he is...in this system he is never coming off the field. He is not a typical TE that is just inline or flex/vert/move. He is also a WR trapped in a TEs body. Lines up XYZ. And what he does after the catch is probably the exact type of thing this team wants. He is a punishing runner. Harbaugh wants big powerful guys. His Mich team this season was smaller at skill spots etc but in the pros he will get massive and powerful. I just think this team is going to be in 12/13 so much that the need for 3 stud WRs isnt as important as having a monster TE room. And given what Bowers does at WR....we could have 3TEs on the field with QJ and its essentially 2WRs in this system with a guy like Bowers. And the idea of drafting a WR in the 2nd round to pair with Bowers? That sounds exciting to me. If we are in 2 WR sets less than 2 TE sets? 11 Personnel days are done for us. How is Bowers not a perfect option? I know we need OL. We need D. I just feel the best way to help a D outside of good players...is keeping them off the field so much. And an offense that CANNOT protect its QB....or run the ball....will never allow a high powered pass attack to even work. Long methodical drives with deeper stuff mixed in. You have to sell the playaction and have to run the ball well to make it work. Bowers helps in all areas of this. Its also not just a build it all this year thing for me this season. It will take 2 drafts and a big Free Agent offseason to build. I think we do well with just the better coaching...but i am still tempered this season. 2025 is that big year imo.

Bowers is a 100 catch 1400 yard receiver in this system and that starts early. Remember TEs are #1 or #2 receivers in Romans offenses. Bowers would eat big with Herbs. And i just feel like they would create a really strong bond with each other. Both nerds Both just high intellect cerebral guys. Im a rugby minded guy in a way...so i see the importance of smart players. High IQ types. This system will resemble that Rugby type of play imo. And Bowers is a monster 8 man. Critical to a powerful rugby team. Usually the main beast on a rugby team. Its all built around the line play and bigger guys who are more powerful runners than twitchy outside guys. Wingers in rugby. I know you are thinking why is Fleet bringing rugby into this...we dont know shit about it...but i think Harbaughs teams over the years are built like Rugby teams. From the inside out.

TE1 - Bowers
    TE2 - Dissly
    WR1 - QJ
    WR2 - Adonai Mitchell or McConkey

That group right there with Herbert is deadly imo. Whatever we do im down for. I love the WRs. I still think if Keenan came out this year...and it was the upgraded version of himself? You get Odunze. When i think of players i dont just throw them in there without thinking about Herbert and the fit. The system is everything. And i just like Rome in this system with Herbert. But Nabers and that deep stuff and his ability to get open underneath help us a lot as well. Its really important for me to think about players in this specific system. We are not the Bengals. This is not a sling it team anymore. Its going to be based off the run game and TE play. And if there is a TE that also does around 5 other things at an elite level? Just the fit i like. Its about fits for me. Harrison would be hard to pass on. I probably go that route...but honestly in this system i just feel like a guy who is Inside/Outside dominant in the passing game helps prolong drives and beefs up a few areas on offense. Not just one. Block. Catch. Run. He does it all.

On the OL i think a guy like Fuaga can do for us what Sewell does for the Lions. Harbaugh will want to do a lot of power runs and off tackle runs and Fuaga would eat up defenders. I just like him the most in the run game out of all the OTs. But thats if we make the Vikes trade. Im not opposed to Alt at 5 as i think he is a very good overall tackle that fits what Harbaugh wants to do. Probably the best overall OT in the draft. Prefer we trade with the Vikes and target OL there at 11 if we are looking at OL. Latham isnt on that level in the run game imo. I do like him however. Just thinking run blocking dominance for our RT prospect. Rather have Bowers over Alt. Bowers wont make it to 11.

But the trade i almost want more than 11/23 is the Giants 6/47/70 for the chance at an elite QB prospect. And thats how im selling these QBs. You could definitely force the Vikes and Giants to compete for that pick. Jones is not the answer in NY. I think you could force the Giants to give up the 3rd this year or next. Take Bowers at 6. If you can move back and get in front of the Jets you might have a chance at Bowers still. But i think he wont get passed the Jets. Maybe even the Titans. He would greatly help out there as well.

I look at this roster build the same way i might if i was preparing for war. For combat. And i look at coaches and systems like i do generals and branches of the military. I understand we have a rocket armed QB. But we are not an air force type attack. Harbaugh and this system will resemble a ground campaign. Built around tanks and A10 Intruders. Close combat warfare versus jets in the sky. lol Bowers is a tank...an intruder...and absolute warfighter. We just drafted a jet. Lets get that thing firing. Its time for hand to hand combat and a ground war campaign. I feel like the best teams in the league are built this way. Dominant run and tight end play. Defenders that can cover jets while your ground attack just forces teams to submit. The fight is no longer about trying to outfly the enemy...its on the ground...in the trenches. Quick strikes and yards after the catch. Run run run and then take strategic strikes. Be so strong and fit...physical that teams just burn out.
    If we can get 47 and 70 from the Giants that would be great but doubt we will. Are they that desperate to get a QB? Maybe they have a trade in place for Jones and they would but that's a big price to move up 1 spot.

Only Bethard gives up top picks to move up one spot

Comment

• eaterfan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2020
      • Send PM

I really feel like Bowers would be so productive with Herbert in This Particular System that he has a bigger impact on games than a stud WR. And as down on QJ as i am...i promise you Harbaugh likely feels he can unlock him. He saw first hand what he can do against his Mich team. The kid needs to shine this season though. But with Bowers being the unicorn he is...in this system he is never coming off the field. He is not a typical TE that is just inline or flex/vert/move. He is also a WR trapped in a TEs body. Lines up XYZ. And what he does after the catch is probably the exact type of thing this team wants. He is a punishing runner. Harbaugh wants big powerful guys. His Mich team this season was smaller at skill spots etc but in the pros he will get massive and powerful. I just think this team is going to be in 12/13 so much that the need for 3 stud WRs isnt as important as having a monster TE room. And given what Bowers does at WR....we could have 3TEs on the field with QJ and its essentially 2WRs in this system with a guy like Bowers. And the idea of drafting a WR in the 2nd round to pair with Bowers? That sounds exciting to me. If we are in 2 WR sets less than 2 TE sets? 11 Personnel days are done for us. How is Bowers not a perfect option? I know we need OL. We need D. I just feel the best way to help a D outside of good players...is keeping them off the field so much. And an offense that CANNOT protect its QB....or run the ball....will never allow a high powered pass attack to even work. Long methodical drives with deeper stuff mixed in. You have to sell the playaction and have to run the ball well to make it work. Bowers helps in all areas of this. Its also not just a build it all this year thing for me this season. It will take 2 drafts and a big Free Agent offseason to build. I think we do well with just the better coaching...but i am still tempered this season. 2025 is that big year imo.

Bowers is a 100 catch 1400 yard receiver in this system and that starts early. Remember TEs are #1 or #2 receivers in Romans offenses. Bowers would eat big with Herbs. And i just feel like they would create a really strong bond with each other. Both nerds Both just high intellect cerebral guys. Im a rugby minded guy in a way...so i see the importance of smart players. High IQ types. This system will resemble that Rugby type of play imo. And Bowers is a monster 8 man. Critical to a powerful rugby team. Usually the main beast on a rugby team. Its all built around the line play and bigger guys who are more powerful runners than twitchy outside guys. Wingers in rugby. I know you are thinking why is Fleet bringing rugby into this...we dont know shit about it...but i think Harbaughs teams over the years are built like Rugby teams. From the inside out.

This is an absolutely nuts, IMO. That's the most receiving yards in a season in NFL history. That's more yards per reception than anything Kelce has ever done.

But basically that is what he would have to do to be more productive than any of the top 3 WRs.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Sounds like best move for the Chargers is if some QB-needy team trades with ARZ, and they want to trade right back up with us for MHj.

For me to trade back, I want three firsts. Or two and a boatload of 2024 picks. If I don’t get that, I get MHj, no problem with that whatsoever. ARZ does have a lot of picks to play with, so could happen. But I would stick to that steep price tag, and likely get it IMO. Don’t settle for less (a first this year and next, and that boatload, gets it done).

Hard to mock anything until we’re on the clock.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
          Beef Before Gazelles
          • May 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
          Sounds like best move for the Chargers is if some QB-needy team trades with ARZ, and they want to trade right back up with us for MHj.

For me to trade back, I want three firsts. Or two and a boatload of 2024 picks. If I don’t get that, I get MHj, no problem with that whatsoever. ARZ does have a lot of picks to play with, so could happen. But I would stick to that steep price tag, and likely get it IMO. Don’t settle for less (a first this year and next, and that boatload, gets it done).

I think about it this way:

I imagine how many holes on this porous roster could be filled with additional picks in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds.

Then, what in addition to those picks would be necessary to complete the trade down deal from #5? A 1st in 2025? A 2nd in 2025, and a player?

IMO, this draft has considerable depth into the 3rd round-- and at some positions, the 4th round. The Chargers could help themselves in a big way, with the right deal.

Comment

• Fleet 1
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Kauai
            • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

This is an absolutely nuts, IMO. That's the most receiving yards in a season in NFL history. That's more yards per reception than anything Kelce has ever done.

But basically that is what he would have to do to be more productive than any of the top 3 WRs.
            Might have been an overprojection. lol Im just saying he would be that important in this system. And if Kelce ran like Bowers after the catch? 1400 would be nothing for him.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

I think about it this way:

I imagine how many holes on this porous roster could be filled with additional picks in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds.

Then, what in addition to those picks would be necessary to complete the deal? A 1st in 2025? A 2nd in 2025, and a player?

IMO, this draft has considerable depth into the 3rd round-- and at some positions, the 4th round. The Chargers could help themselves in a big way, with the right deal.
              If those more picks - a boatload I say! - equate to that third first rounder, then okay cuz agree this draft is deep a lot of places and we could fill holes/challenge positions all over.

If ARZ trades with MINN, well there’s two firsts and that’s a start. They toss in a few more mid round picks this year and they’re still not completely hamstringing their draft. Win-win. Not sure why they would do that though, just draft your guy at 4 (unless they get something else from MINN like a future first, then the right mix of a first this year and a first next year, and more 2024 picks works).

Comment

• Fleet 1
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Kauai
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

If we can get 47 and 70 from the Giants that would be great but doubt we will. Are they that desperate to get a QB? Maybe they have a trade in place for Jones and they would but that's a big price to move up 1 spot.

Only Bethard gives up top picks to move up one spot
                There is some chatter that they are. I think they are. I mean it is liars month etc...but im also just thinking Jones sucks. That OL is bad though lol. The fact they traded their high 2nd rounder instead of holding for a chance to move up may indicate they are not looking to do that. So you are likely right.

But you never know.

Comment

• Jack Burton
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2023
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

And you believe Denver is going to trade their All Pro CB to a division rival?
                  Then we'd have to sign Surtain to a massive contract. Why not just take one of the better CBs @11 in the draft?
                  Because Surtain is a proven pro bowl player and he’s on his rookie contract. Why would I want a potential bust when I just get a top 3 CB in the entire NFL? Im not suggesting that trade would happen, but it’s obvious why they would dangle him in a trade.

Comment

• eaterfan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2020
                    • Send PM

Might have been an overprojection. lol Im just saying he would be that important in this system. And if Kelce ran like Bowers after the catch? 1400 would be nothing for him.
                    Here's an interesting fact. When Tyreke Hill was on the Chiefs, Kelce averaged 12.9 yards/reception. Since Hill has left he's averaged 11.4. Having Hill there to draw attention was a huge help to Kelce.

Comment

• Jack Burton
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2023
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

I’m of the opinion that the Chargers already have a handshake kind of deal right now with AZ for 11-27-90 or 11-35-66.
                      AZ already has 2 1’s and 3 3rds.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

I’m of the opinion that the Chargers already have a handshake kind of deal right now with AZ for 11-27-90 or 11-35-66.
                        AZ already has 2 1’s and 3 3rds.
                        I wouldn't be surprised that if MN moves up to AZ at 4; the Chargers will move back to 11 and the Cardinals go back up for MHJr

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

Here's an interesting fact. When Tyreke Hill was on the Chiefs, Kelce averaged 12.9 yards/reception. Since Hill has left he's averaged 11.4. Having Hill there to draw attention was a huge help to Kelce.
                          From 12.9 to 11.4 looks to be a very minor dropoff...statistically insignificant...

Comment

Working...
                          X