• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

6'3" is barely the threshhold for me at #5 ... barely.

6'2" - forget it.
    Alrighty, we know your limit

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Does that prove we don't need great players? We've had a bunch. Still no trophy.
      No, but I wouldn't be wed to the old great tight end tradition must continue idea.

We'll get a great prospect no matter who we choose at #5 .... maybe that will be Bowers.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

No he doesnt look the part of your typical 260 lb in line TE, But that is not what he is.
        He doesn't look the part of a generational talent. That's for sure.

This is Sam LaPorta at last year's Combine.

image.png

​​​Mark Andrews at the 2018 Scouting Combine.

Tight end Mark Andrews from Oklahoma showed his skills at the 2018 NFL Combine and impressed Ravens scouts. Tune in to the 2019 Combine this week on NFL Netw...

Brock Bowers. Lol.

image.png​​

For his sake, especially if we draft him, I hope he is one of those who doesn't look the part but is. Kurt Warner used to make fun of how bad Marshall Faulk looked with his shirt off. It didn't matter, though.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
          Charger Fan since 1978
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

He doesn't look the part of a generational talent. That's for sure.

This is Sam LaPorta at last year's Combine.

image.png

​Mark Andrews at the 2018 Scouting Combine.

Tight end Mark Andrews from Oklahoma showed his skills at the 2018 NFL Combine and impressed Ravens scouts. Tune in to the 2019 Combine this week on NFL Netw...

Brock Bowers. Lol.

image.png​​

For his sake, especially if we draft him, I hope he is one of those who doesn't look the part but is. Kurt Warner used to make fun of how bad Marshall Faulk looked with his shirt off. It didn't matter, though.
          not a good way to evaluate football players, with the football guys you want to look at how they are built from the waist down, big butt, large thighs, powerful legs...That's where these guys get their power from...travis kelce is the best TE in the NFL and he doesn't look like he'd win any beach muscle competitions...some people have naturally dense muscles and bones and don't need to be all plumped up to be really strong...look at the arm of a chimpanzee, they can be very muscular and cut up but they aren't body builder big and yet they have 7 times more power ounce for ounce than the arms on a human being, they can literally rip the arms right off of a very large strong man...some people are born with more dense and powerful muscles, not chimp dense but certainly stronger than other people the same size as themselves...

the other thing bowers has is that cat like reflex and spatial awareness plus balance to contort and adjust to ball in the air and the soft yet strong hands to snag the ball out of the air and secure it before a defender can make a play on it, you can't watch Bowers video and not notice that playmaking ability that is difficult to quantify...
          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• DerwinBosa
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

not a good way to evaluate football players, with the football guys you want to look at how they are built from the waist down, big butt, large thighs, powerful legs...That's where these guys get their power from...travis kelce is the best TE in the NFL and he doesn't look like he'd win any beach muscle competitions...some people have naturally dense muscles and bones and don't need to be all plumped up to be really strong...look at the arm of a chimpanzee, they can be very muscular and cut up but they aren't body builder big and yet they have 7 times more power ounce for ounce than the arms on a human being, they can literally rip the arms right off of a very large strong man...some people are born with more dense and powerful muscles, not chimp dense but certainly stronger than other people the same size as themselves...
            Lol. This is getting ridiculous. I'll wait until the reports from the Combine.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

Lol. This is getting ridiculous. I'll wait until the reports from the Combine.
              more ridiculous than looking at a picture of a guy and deciding he's going to suck in the NFL, Tom Brady might have something to say about that theory...
              "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2022
                • Send PM

more ridiculous than looking at a picture of a guy and deciding he's going to suck in the NFL, Tom Brady might have something to say about that theory...
                Nowhere did I say he was going to suck in the NFL. Another stretch by a devoted member of the Brock Bowers Fan Club. I said he doesn't look the part, which will be evaluated at the Combine.

Tom Brady never lined up opposite J.J. Watt or had to block a linebacker, so that is completely irrelevant. Not as irrelevant as a chimpanzee ripping off a human being's arms, but it's irrelevant.

As I said I will wait until the Combine reports to see if Brock Bowers' size is actually a concern.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

No, but I wouldn't be wed to the old great tight end tradition must continue idea.

We'll get a great prospect no matter who we choose at #5 .... maybe that will be Bowers.
                  Tradition be damned. I'd take him because of what Bowers can do for our offense.

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                    NFL Draftsout has some meticulas measurements from....I don't know where.

They have Bowers as 6'35", 240. 6'3"-6'3.5,....works for me.

1 Bowers 6'35",240
                    2 6'36", 252
                    3 Stover, 6'36", 251
                    5 Sinnott 6'4", 254
                    6 Holker , 6'31", 241

These guys are their top 5 ranked TEs, in that order.
                    Sinnott is tallest/heaviest, and me suspex.... the best value @TE ?? do you draft two TEs, or him and bring in/back a FA ??

5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

Nowhere did I say he was going to suck in the NFL. Another stretch by a devoted member of the Brock Bowers Fan Club. I said he doesn't look the part, which will be evaluated at the Combine.

Tom Brady never lined up opposite J.J. Watt or had to block a linebacker, so that is completely irrelevant. Not as irrelevant as a chimpanzee ripping off a human being's arms, but it's irrelevant.

As I said I will wait until the Combine reports to see if Brock Bowers' size is actually a concern.
                      you're concerned about his size? He played in the SEC...

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2022
                        • Send PM

you're concerned about his size? He played in the SEC...
                        Concerned is a very strong word. There are people on this forum who tout Bowers in a similar way fans did Bo Jackson in the eighties, so I find some of the pictures of Bowers to be hilarious.

I watched Georgia play nearly every week. Many on this forum have said he's a great blocker. He's not. I didn't focus in on him blocking every single play he was tasked to do so, but the handful of times I did he was not great. He doesn't suck at it, but it's something that he could work on at the next level.

He sure was a playmaker, but there were a lot of those at Georgia. The Bulldogs had one of the top coaching staffs in the country and a great offensive scheme the entire time Bowers was there. Although Darnell Washington didn't make as many plays as Bowers, he made a handful that you wouldn't expect from a player who looked like he was a few big meals away from lining up at offensive tackle. (Note: I am not saying Washington was as good of a prospect as Bowers.) I wouldn't be surprised to see Oscar Delp have a great season at tight end for the Bulldogs next fall. So, I wonder if Bowers is overhyped in that regard, too.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

Concerned is a very strong word. There are people on this forum who tout Bowers in a similar way fans did Bo Jackson in the eighties, so I find some of the pictures of Bowers to be hilarious.

I watched Georgia play nearly every week. Many on this forum have said he's a great blocker. He's not. I didn't focus in on him blocking every single play he was tasked to do so, but the handful of times I did he was not great. He doesn't suck at it, but it's something that he could work on at the next level.

He sure was a playmaker, but there were a lot of those at Georgia. The Bulldogs had one of the top coaching staffs in the country and a great offensive scheme the entire time Bowers was there. Although Darnell Washington didn't make as many plays as Bowers, he made a handful that you wouldn't expect from a player who looked like he was a few big meals away from lining up at offensive tackle. (Note: I am not saying Washington was as good of a prospect as Bowers.) I wouldn't be surprised to see Oscar Delp have a great season at tight end for the Bulldogs next fall. So, I wonder if Bowers is overhyped in that regard, too.
                          having playmakers is good for the Chargers, it takes the heat off of other people and limits what the defense can throw at Herbert...

Comment

Working...
                          X