• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

So if it's our turn, and MHJ is off the board (to AZ at pick #4), but Nabors and Odunze (and Bowers) are still available, and the Vikings offer us #11 and #23 to move up...what do you do?

By the way, I don't really agree that without MHJ, we're "toast". One player is going to make THAT big a difference? I'm not buying it. Particularly if we can fill two needs with an extra 1st-round pick. So yeah, I'm taking the Vikes offer, if they make it. Even if the above mentioned three guys are sitting there (which they all probably will be) when #5 rolls around.

Now, having said that, if the Vikings do not offer their two 1st-rounders to move up, and we're "stuck" @5, then I'm taking one of those three - or maybe Alt - for sure.
    I get you, and I like Thomas Jr at 11 for our WR1 just fine. But I like MHJ better.

FWIW, I think in this specific instance, all talk of our trade down is smoke. ARZ will trade down, and we will take MHJ.

Comment

• QSmokey
      Guardedly Optimistic
      • Jun 2013
      • Kuna, Idaho
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

I get you, and I like Thomas Jr at 11 for our WR1 just fine. But I like MHJ better.

FWIW, I think in this specific instance, all talk of our trade down is smoke. ARZ will trade down, and we will take MHJ.
      I agree. A lot of guys have been mocking us 11 and 23, but I think AZ is going to pull the trigger on that trade.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2019
        • Send PM

But then again why would Minn trade up to Arizonas spot at #4 when they can trade up with us at #5 and give away less? ‘Zona isn’t taking a QB at #4. Neither are we. The Giants might at #6 but given what they’re paying Daniel jones I suspect they’re just bluffing and won’t. Tennessee, Atlanta and Chicago aren’t either.

Thus, I won’t be surprised if nobody trades up until that 7th thru 10th pick range and it might not even be for a QB. If AZ takes Mhj, we take Nabors, the giants take Odunze, then I suspect Buffalo will be trying like hell to trade up for Thomas Jr right in that 7-10 range.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

I thought of that possibility: ogle at the RTs at #11 and give Monti O some assurance that he can just move back up to #5 and keep some of the spoils,

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

ARZ will trade down...
            w/NY, and draft Odunze.... Schoen will hedge his bets and move up for Marvin.

'tis tempting to do the trade value chart gymnastics for the three team trade w/Az, LAC & Minny, and.... think it's gonna be more simple than that.... NYG up to four, Az down to 6.

we trade down w/Vikes for 11, 23 & 2025 third round comp.... dependent upon Maye still being on the board ??

neither Shedeur nor Ewers suck, and.... neither does Jones.... Daniel is plenty good enough to get you a SB win (see Stan Humphries, Chargers 1995)

they did overpay, and.... they have made some FA moves on the Oline.... only thing left is to reel in one of the top three wideouts.

for myself, and perhaps for Schoen, Nabers is a bit of a character concern, and fans might not as readily agree as to Odunze's prowes.... simple route is to take the consensus top pick in Harrison ??

builds fan confidence and job security if I'm GM Joe....

5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
              But then again why would Minn trade up to Arizonas spot at #4 when they can trade up with us at #5 and give away less? ‘Zona isn’t taking a QB at #4. Neither are we. The Giants might at #6 but given what they’re paying Daniel jones I suspect they’re just bluffing and won’t. Tennessee, Atlanta and Chicago aren’t either.

Thus, I won’t be surprised if nobody trades up until that 7th thru 10th pick range and it might not even be for a QB. If AZ takes Mhj, we take Nabors, the giants take Odunze, then I suspect Buffalo will be trying like hell to trade up for Thomas Jr right in that 7-10 range.
              Cuz four or five other QB-needy teams will be talking to ARZ trying to pry that 4 pick away from them. MINN keeps getting the nod around here cuz two first round picks this draft. But who knows, what if a team is offering a picks package plus a player? Bottom line for any team, you want that pick come up with your biggest, best offer. Right now that’s MINN, at least on paper. Waiting to trade for our pick could screw you out of your QB.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Cuz four or five other QB-needy teams will be talking to ARZ trying to pry that 4 pick away from them. MINN keeps getting the nod around here cuz two first round picks this draft. But who knows, what if a team is offering a picks package plus a player? Bottom line for any team, you want that pick come up with your biggest, best offer. Right now that’s MINN, at least on paper. Waiting to trade for our pick could screw you out of your QB.
                MIN is going to try and figure out which QBs DEN, LVR like.
                Throw away trade value charts here.
                And I would take #11 and #23 for #5.
                Bootleg Football even posited that LAC would draft Alt @ #5 over MHJ.
                A trade down of some sort must be considered seriously in play for LAC.
                The top of this draft will be edge of your seat stuff.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Send PM

My point is Minnesota actually has quite a bit of power here and can sorta call everyones bluff. Minnesota really isn't competing with anyone but themselves cuz the 'fade and Denver don't have multiple first round picks this year to give, multiple teams are on record wanting to trade down, and none of the teams above Minn are taking a QB.

Put yourself in the Minnesota GM shoes. Who's gonna take a QB?

Arizona? No
                  Chargers? No
                  Giants? doubtful
                  Titans? No
                  Falcons? doubtful
                  Bears? (already got one with pick #1)
                  Jets? No
                  Vikings
                  Denver
                  'Fade
                  Saints

So the only thing Minn has to worry about is what those teams like Denver & Oakland are offering & it's highly doubtful those teams are gonna want to destroy several years of draft picks to move up that high given the state of their rosters. You're talking probably 3 years of 1st round picks for a team like the 'fade to move up that high. Telesco sure as hell isn't gonna do that & given what Denver is still dealing with from that disastrous Russell Wilson trade it's highly doubtful they are either. The Saints & Dennis Allen need to win this year so it's doubtful they do. Who else is there? So Minnesota can just hold tight and move up in that 7 to 10 pick range no use going all the way to 4 or 5. And that's IF they actually like McCarthy that much. For all we know they might actually love Penix or Bo Nix.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

Arizona? No
                    Chargers? No
                    Giants? doubtful
                    Titans? No
                    Falcons? doubtful
                    Jets? No
                    Vikings
                    Denver
                    'Fade
                    Saints

I'd say yes on the Giants. They've had enough of the Daniel Jones experiment. Washington could use a QB. Maybe New England. Of the teams picking before the Vikings.

Comment

• SuperChargedRodney37
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2024
                      • Send PM

My point is Minnesota actually has quite a bit of power here and can sorta call everyones bluff. Minnesota really isn't competing with anyone but themselves cuz the 'fade and Denver don't have multiple first round picks this year to give, multiple teams are on record wanting to trade down, and none of the teams above Minn are taking a QB.

Arizona? No
                      Chargers? No
                      Giants? doubtful
                      Titans? No
                      Falcons? doubtful
                      Jets? No
                      Vikings
                      Denver
                      'Fade
                      Saints

So the only thing Minn has to worry about is what those teams like Denver & Oakland are offering & it's highly doubtful those teams are gonna want to destroy several years of draft picks to move up that high given the state of their rosters. You're talking probably 3 years of 1st round picks for a team like the 'fade to move up that high. Telesco sure as hell isn't gonna do that & given what Denver is still dealing with from that disastrous Russell Wilson trade it's highly doubtful they are either. The Saints & Dennis Allen need to win this year so it's doubtful they do. Who else is there? So Minnesota can just hold tight and move up in that 7 to 10 pick range no use going all the way to 4 or 5. And that's IF they actually like McCarthy that much. For all we know they might actually love Penix or Bo Nix.
                      Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner that's looking at the leverage here. Hell Minnesota might be in love with Penix for all we know. He's being criminally underrated by the media and that same media is overhyping McCarthy.
                      Still don't see how the Chargers will have the leverage over Minnesota even if as expected, McCarthy is on the board at #5.
                      The last two huge QB Draft trades with the "Quarterback Tax of overpay" happened prior to the draft hence the overpay. (San Fran/Carolina) This was because the team trading up had an assurance of getting their guy guaranteed. Unfortunately, the Chargers fell one pick short to utilize this leverage. Arizona is in the proverbial catbird seat.
                      I'm also shocked how desperate to trade down some fans are? I mean some are willing to trade down if 4 QB's go and MHJ is sitting on the board at #5.
                      If that happened, you can bet the farm that Harbaugh/Hortiz wouldn't answer the phone until the clock struck the 16 minutes mark. LOL.

Comment

• Jrock1970
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Mar 2024
                        • Send PM

I think the whole "leverage" argument is moot anyway until the clock strikes bolts on. It's fun to guess though. I'm hoping we can drop down 1 slot and pick up at least a 3rd and still get WR1.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperChargedRodney37 View Post

Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner that's looking at the leverage here. Hell Minnesota might be in love with Penix for all we know. He's being criminally underrated by the media and that same media is overhyping McCarthy.
                          Still don't see how the Chargers will have the leverage over Minnesota even if as expected, McCarthy is on the board at #5.
                          The last two huge QB Draft trades with the "Quarterback Tax of overpay" happened prior to the draft hence the overpay. (San Fran/Carolina) This was because the team trading up had an assurance of getting their guy guaranteed. Unfortunately, the Chargers fell one pick short to utilize this leverage. Arizona is in the proverbial catbird seat.
                          I'm also shocked how desperate to trade down some fans are? I mean some are willing to trade down if 4 QB's go and MHJ is sitting on the board at #5.
                          If that happened, you can bet the farm that Harbaugh/Hortiz wouldn't answer the phone until the clock struck the 16 minutes mark. LOL.
                          I much prefer a trade down.
                          Weigh all the factors.
                          That is without even knowing the proposed trades on the table.
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X