• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltgang74
    We Are The Storm!
    • Aug 2018
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

But Herbert issue didn't seem to be weapons, it was having a clean pocket to throw from.

They need multiple OL. Could add Left Tackle.
    Slater is in final year of contract in 2024. It's a new GM/HC building their roster. They have the franchise QB and that's about it. Slater could change positions to RT. Best 5 OL.

​​​​
    Fact is we are gonna need to beef up the O line but also the WR group which had a shit ton a crucial drops (other than Slayer of course) is gonna be depleted next season too.We need both.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2022
      • Send PM

The key is hiring Jim Harbaugh and allowing him to pick his general manager, and then let them decide what the best route to take is. If that happens, I believe they might try their best to trade down if Marvin Harrison, Jr. is gone by the fifth pick--which he probably will be. If they do trade down, it seems they will have options for a pass-rusher (Latu, Dallas Turner, or Jared Verse), defensive tackle (Jer'Zhan Newton), cornerback (Kool-Aid and others), or right tackle (J.C. Latham). Then I think they will do what smart teams such as the 49ers, Seahawks, Ravens, and Rams have done--draft playmakers that fall out of the first round or even later (Deebo Samuel, George Kittle, D.K. Metcalf, Cooper Kupp, Puka Nacua, and Mark Andrews.) If they can't trade down, the pressure will probably be on them from the fan base and nerdy mock draft experts to take Bowers or Nabers, but Harbaugh won't care at all about that. If he and the general manager think Bowers or Nabers is the best player available there and can't or don't want to trade down, so be it. Same is true if they think Latu, Kool-Aid, or anyone else is worth the fifth pick. If Harbaugh is the head coach, I will not question anything he and his general manager do until they give me a reason to.

Although I think strengthening the offensive line is more important than adding a weapon to throw to, I'm not sure taking Alt or Fashanu and moving either of them to right tackle (or Slater to guard or right tackle) is the answer. I'm not sure it would be a smooth transition for either of the rookies, and I doubt Slater and his agent would be receptive to the move as contract extension talks begin. There are some intriguing right tackle prospects who could fall to the second round--such as Amarius Mims and Taliese Fuaga. There's also the idea of moving Salyer to right tackle. But if someone can convince me that Alt or Fashanu will develop into an All-Pro right tackle, I'm all for it with the fifth pick.

Now, if Harbaugh isn't hired, we have to hope once again that the Spanos family found the next great head coach from the assistant pool. That's a whole other discussion, though.

Comment

• Boltx
        Dominate the day
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

But Herbert issue didn't seem to be weapons, it was having a clean pocket to throw from.

They need multiple OL. Could add Left Tackle.
        Slater is in final year of contract in 2024. It's a new GM/HC building their roster. They have the franchise QB and that's about it. Slater could change positions to RT. Best 5 OL.

​​​​
        It was both.

We have an aging KA. MW likely gone. Palmer is a good player but not WR1. Darius Davis might be a good player one day. QJ is a major question mark. Gerald Everett likely gone with no legit TE targets on the roster.

OL play absolutely needs improvement. But there are limited to few weapons for Herbert to throw to.
        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• FtheTurds
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2023
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
          Sit tight and take Bowers and be set at TE for 10-15 years, watch him rejuvenate Herbert's career.

Don't overthink this.

And definitely don't take a RT at #5, LOL

All's everyone needs to do is remember what it was like to have a real TE, Gates and what it meant to the whole Offense....

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post
            The key is hiring Jim Harbaugh and allowing him to pick his general manager, and then let them decide what the best route to take is. If that happens, I believe they might try their best to trade down if Marvin Harrison, Jr. is gone by the fifth pick--which he probably will be. If they do trade down, it seems they will have options for a pass-rusher (Latu, Dallas Turner, or Jared Verse), defensive tackle (Jer'Zhan Newton), cornerback (Kool-Aid and others), or right tackle (J.C. Latham). Then I think they will do what smart teams such as the 49ers, Seahawks, Ravens, and Rams have done--draft playmakers that fall out of the first round or even later (Deebo Samuel, George Kittle, D.K. Metcalf, Cooper Kupp, Puka Nacua, and Mark Andrews.) If they can't trade down, the pressure will probably be on them from the fan base and nerdy mock draft experts to take Bowers or Nabers, but Harbaugh won't care at all about that. If he and the general manager think Bowers or Nabers is the best player available there and can't or don't want to trade down, so be it. Same is true if they think Latu, Kool-Aid, or anyone else is worth the fifth pick. If Harbaugh is the head coach, I will not question anything he and his general manager do until they give me a reason to.

Although I think strengthening the offensive line is more important than adding a weapon to throw to, I'm not sure taking Alt or Fashanu and moving either of them to right tackle (or Slater to guard or right tackle) is the answer. I'm not sure it would be a smooth transition for either of the rookies, and I doubt Slater and his agent would be receptive to the move as contract extension talks begin. There are some intriguing right tackle prospects who could fall to the second round--such as Amarius Mims and Taliese Fuaga. There's also the idea of moving Salyer to right tackle. But if someone can convince me that Alt or Fashanu will develop into an All-Pro right tackle, I'm all for it with the fifth pick.

Now, if Harbaugh isn't hired, we have to hope once again that the Spanos family found the next great head coach from the assistant pool. That's a whole other discussion, though.

You completely lost me by the time you moved Slater to guard …
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltx
              Dominate the day
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by FtheTurds View Post

All's everyone needs to do is remember what it was like to have a real TE, Gates and what it meant to the whole Offense....
              Dude saved Brees' career and was one of the main reasons Rivers was able to transition to the starter role fairly quickly.
              ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

It was both.

We have an aging KA. MW likely gone. Palmer is a good player but not WR1. Darius Davis might be a good player one day. QJ is a major question mark. Gerald Everett likely gone with no legit TE targets on the roster.

OL play absolutely needs improvement. But there are limited to few weapons for Herbert to throw to.

Any interest in Brandon Aiyuk? I mean, if going to pay a WR a decent chunk of change -- I probably would go with the ascending player

Comment

• AFboltfan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2018
                  • Balboa Park bench
                  • Medical Simulation
                  • Send PM

It was both.

I really like this post... If we take the homer goggles off and really look at the offense, it is almost devoid of talent... KA is getting older, Mike Williams always hurt, Ekeler likely gone with nobody behind him... etc etc etc...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by AFboltfan View Post

I really like this post... If we take the homer goggles off and really look at the offense, it is almost devoid of talent... KA is getting older, Mike Williams always hurt, Ekeler likely gone with nobody behind him... etc etc etc...
                    Took those MFing goggles off when the team was 2-4
                    I wanted them to be sellers - not that they were ever going to sell that soon in teh season but the Bears and Jets games were a mirage to me

It think this is the year - rip the band aid, take the dead cap hits, get what you can from Bosa, MW, Mack and even Allen and build the roster up. That doesn't mean I am tanking in 2024 - just means I would rather build it right for 2025-2027

Comment

• electricgold
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2020
                      • Send PM

At #5 = *1. MHJ 2. Bowers 3. Alt

*MHJ is a different sort of cat! If and when we sign Jim Harbaugh I could Invision Harrison & his dad telling the teams above the Chargers not to draft him because playing in LA being coached by Harbaugh having Herbert throwing him the ball would be an extremely smart career choice moving forward!

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2022
                        • White Rock, BC Canada
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by FtheTurds View Post

It baffles me that fans of a franchise that has had dominant difference making TEs like Winslow and Gates dont think a generational stud like Bowers and what he could do for Herbert is not worth our pick.

Bowers also happens to be a fantastic blocker when required of him, also helping run game and protection.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Just look at how Kelce completely owns us every time he plays us to see how valuable an elite TE is. You can argue that 5 is too high to pick a TE but you can also make that argument about just about every position outside of QB or maybe LT.

Comment

Working...
                          X