• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mecho
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Thought id take a shot at this. Traded down a few times in first to accrue extra picks and see what happened. Double dipped at some positions due to our current roster. Only thing i didn't think went well was i couldnt trade back up into 2nd to get one of the top centres as we really need one.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

I know. The Detroit Lions sure were out of their minds when they drafted like this in 2021, at a time they didn't need a left tackle--and their only weapon to throw to was T.J. Hockenson.
      • Round 1: No. 7 - Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon
      • Round 2: No. 41 - Levi Onwuzurike, DT, Washington
      • Round 3: No. 72 - Alim McNeill, DT, NC State
      • Round 3: No. 101 (from LAR) - Ifeatu Melifonwu, CB, Syracuse
      • Round 4: No. 112 - Amon-Ra St. Brown, WR, USC
      • Round 4: No. 113 (from CAR through CLE) - Derrick Barnes, LB, Purdue
      • Round 7: No. 257 (from BUF through CLE) - Jermar Jefferson, RB, Oregon State
      I just looked at the lions 2022 draft with Hutchinson Paschal, Jameson Williams, Kerby Joseph and now the 2023 with Gibbs, LaPorta Campbell and Branch

This is how you build and sustain a roster. Gettin draft picks

Look at the above with Sewewll, BArnes, the CB and Levi

hopefully the new Chargers GM/HC has the kind of success Holmes and Campbell have. maybe just maybe you just draft productive football players - maybe lower ceiling but higher floor type players

as for the Chargers - I like Bowers at 5 but if you can do the trade back and get a 2nd and 5th and use that extra 2nd for another 4th - that means you are getting 8 picks in the first five rounds; 6 picks in the first four round - that is roster building

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2022
        • White Rock, BC Canada
        • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

I know. The Detroit Lions sure were out of their minds when they drafted like this in 2021, at a time they didn't need a left tackle--and their only weapon to throw to was T.J. Hockenson.
        • Round 1: No. 7 - Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon
        • Round 2: No. 41 - Levi Onwuzurike, DT, Washington
        • Round 3: No. 72 - Alim McNeill, DT, NC State
        • Round 3: No. 101 (from LAR) - Ifeatu Melifonwu, CB, Syracuse
        • Round 4: No. 112 - Amon-Ra St. Brown, WR, USC
        • Round 4: No. 113 (from CAR through CLE) - Derrick Barnes, LB, Purdue
        • Round 7: No. 257 (from BUF through CLE) - Jermar Jefferson, RB, Oregon State
        3 Questions,

Do you think either of these tackles are in the class of Sewell?

Top 5 worthy? Higher rated tackle Sewell didn't go in top 5, and in fact it is safe to say the Bengals did very well by taking a skill position weapon for Burrow over a tackle. Herbert having a weapon that can take a 5 yard pass 60 yards would change our offense more than a tackle

Do you spend a top 5 pick on a right tackle?

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
          Let's do this!
          • Aug 2022
          • Raleigh N. Carolina
          • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

3 Questions,

Top 5 worthy? Higher rated tackle Sewell didn't go in top 5, and in fact it is safe to say the Bengals did very well by taking a skill position weapon for Burrow over a tackle. Herbert having a weapon that can take a 5 yard pass 60 yards would change our offense more than a tackle

No

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

3 Questions,

1) Fashanu and Alt I would say are not to the caliber of Penei Sewell... we won't know for sure for a couple of years. Even Sewell struggled his 1st year.

2) Sewell eventually went #7. He's a RT. Ja'Marr is obviously very good... many thought he'd go higher. Trey Lance, Zach Wilson, and Kyle Pitts all went before him. I'm sure all those teams would do something different in hindsight. Of the top-20 taken in the 2021 draft, only one will be playing this weekend... RT Penei Sewell. The Lions are getting it done with Jared Goff. I'm not going to throw shade his way (or any of the other skill position positions on the Lions)... but that offensive line is what makes the Lions tick.

3) Personally, I hope the Chargers never make a pick with the #5 pick... I'm hoping for #8 or #10. There are so many holes to fill. I'm praying for extra 3rd and 4th rounders. So are the OT's worth a #8 or #10. Hell yes! There is nothing more important than protecting a franchise QB.

Go check out the 2018 Chargers roster and the 2019 roster. Check out their skill positions and their offensive line. Also, compare their scoring defense.
            Check out the 2019 Los Angeles Chargers Roster, Players , Starters and more on Pro-Football-Reference.com.

Check out the 2018 Los Angeles Chargers Roster, Players , Starters and more on Pro-Football-Reference.com.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

We need to make a judgement call here.
              This is the 2024 Draft.
              The Chargers are where they are.
              Nabors and Bowers absolutely should be at the top of our draft cravings.
              In the final analysis, we need to protect Herbert and give him time.

Alt improved biggly in 2023.
              He finally came around to using his long powerful arms to great effect in both the passing and running game.
              I frankly have NO idea what Alt tape the rest of you are watching that would convince you to not select him @ #5, however you choose frame all this.
              No more looking back.
              My minority report is thus filed.

I am reminded of when the Chargers drafted Gary Anderson.
              Big mistake.
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Jack Burton
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2023
                • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                We need to make a judgement call here.
                This is the 2024 Draft.
                The Chargers are where they are.
                Nabors and Bowers absolutely should be at the top of our draft cravings.
                In the final analysis, we need to protect Herbert and give him time.

Alt improved biggly in 2023.
                He finally came around to using his long powerful arms to great effect in both the passing and running game.
                I frankly have NO idea what Alt tape the rest of you are watching that would convince you to not select him @ #5, however you choose frame all this.
                No more looking back.
                My minority report is thus filed.

I am reminded of when the Chargers drafted Gary Anderson.
                Big mistake.
                Bowers can block too. He’s a feisty blocker and makes defensive players work hard to get past him.
                He’s a complete TE coming in to the NFL.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

Bowers can block too. He’s a feisty blocker and makes defensive players work hard to get past him.
                  He’s a complete TE coming in to the NFL.
                  By the time Bowers has implemented his chip block, Keenan has already located the open space in the zone... and the ball has been delivered.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

If you want a run/pass blocking TE (like the ones that Harbaugh uses)... go get them in the 4th round. Use that extra 4th rounder you picked up by trading back to #8 or #10.

Comment

• Jack Burton
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2023
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

By the time Bowers has implemented his chip block, Keenan has already located the open space in the zone... and the ball has been delivered.
                      And Herbert finally needs a security blanket. Get him a world class TE who just constantly gets open and breaks tackles. Oh and he blocks too..

I like the idea of Blake Corum in the 3rd too.
                      Smash ball..

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

1st round (Trade back to #8 and pick up an extra 3rd and 4th rounder). CB Kool-Aid McKinstry. The guy Harbaugh stayed away from in their playoff game. Jim will not settle for the 30th best pass defense in the NFL.

2nd round: OC Sedrick Van Pran. All of the shiny toys in the Georgia offense benefitted from the real "stars"... Georgia's OL. Sedrick was the cornerstone.

3rd round: DT Kris Jenkins. Some have him in the 2nd round. Jim loves to play defense... but he also loves to run the ball. There are a number of other good DT's slotted here if Kris Jenkins gets drafted before our 3rd round pick.

3rd round (via trade back): LB Junior Colson. Jim loves his LB's... both @Michigan and @49ers. Cut Kendricks to make it under the cap.

3rd round (via Mack trade): TE Cade Stover. Maybe a little high... but lots of raw talent to develop. Played RB in high school... and LB in the 2022 Rose Bowl game. Physical and versatile. Harbaugh type of TE. Mack gets traded to make the cap.

4th round: RB Devin Neal. The Mayor of Lawrence joins D'Andre Swift (the lone free agent pick-up) to become a slashing duo.

4th round (via trade back). Edge Jasheen Davis. Depth @Edge. Good edge-setter and decent pass rusher joins Bosa and Tuli. Chargers may switch back to 4-3 upon which Davis, Tuli, and Rumph could be Will's and Sam's... while spelling Bosa @DE. Here is the gamble (with Joey often hurt). But if you watch what Jesse Minter did at Michigan... you see that pass rush can come from the middle and various stunts. Kris Jenkins and Morgan Fox are those kind of DT's. In that scheme, Davis, Tuli (and even the way Duke used to use Rumph) can be very effective.

5th round: Lots of different options here. We're looking at depth. Could Zac Zinter (and his injury) slide all the way back here? Could Drake Nugent be our depth at center? Roman Wilson (in a deep WR class)...? AJ Barner and Michael Barrett... Let Jim choose.

6th round: BPA

7th round: BPA

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

And Herbert finally needs a security blanket. Get him a world class TE who just constantly gets open and breaks tackles. Oh and he blocks too..

I like the idea of Blake Corum in the 3rd too.
                          Smash ball..
                          Justin Herbert has had the best security blanket in the NFL already... Keenan Allen.

Justin Herbert had his best year in 2021 (5,000+ yards, 38 TD's) with Jared Cook as his TE. The differense wasn't @TE. The difference was along the OL... even with Michael Schofield @RG and Storm Norton @RT. Frank Smith had them run-blocking (smash mouth). Since Justin has been here, the Chargers have been averaging 3.8 ypc... except in 2021 (where they averaged 4.3 ypc).

If you want to unlock Justin Herbert... run the ball better. And that starts up front with the OL. I have faith that Harbaugh will bring in his own OL coach. The greatest thing that Harbaugh will do for this club is teach them how to play defense and how to run the ball. Running the ball effectively will help the passing game. Playing good defense will allow the offense to be more balanced... they won't be pass, pass, passing every play to catch up to the opponent (who just scored on your defense).

You can't tell me that Brock Bowers > Kool Aid + Junior Colson + Jasheen Davis.
                          Build a team roster... This year's championship games have the #1, #2, and #3 defenses playing this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                          X