• Show
Clear All
  • La Costa Boy
    Pretty much retired......
    • Sep 2018
    • JoJa
    • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
    • Send PM

Right now is such a tough time to do mocks. Our needs are many and we yet don't know any roster releases/trades or FA addition. I would love to see us eliminate or lessen certain needs in FA like center, OG or possibly RB and DI. Taking something off of the need pile would really help us focus our 2024 draft boards. Time is just ticking slow ..........

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Everybody is used to stale Doritos in the 3rd and 4th rounds. That's about to change.
      Trenton Simpson, Travis Jones, Charlie Kolar, Isaiah Likely, Ben Cleveland, Justin Madubuike, Orlando Brown Jr., Mark Andrews...
      That's who you get in the 3rd/4th round. You stockpile 3rd/4th rounders... you snap up good players that other GM's foolishly let slide.
      It's The Raven Way. Now it will be The Charger Way. No more JT Woods and Trey Pipkins in the 3rd round.
      Brugler has 17 WRs in his Top 100.

Therefore we are guaranteed a WR value pick @ #105...whisper, whisper...Cornelius the Wolverine.

@ #139 it's time for a Zone Corner (Kyree or Cam Hart.) Also Vato comes back dirt cheap and shines in Zone. (Minter plays mostly Zone.)

@ #69 is reserved for Junior Colson, our new Minter Green Dot.

This leaves only a few picks to plug in, Nutty.

I expect you to find me talent @ #5...none of this trading horseshit.

I am going for late round fattie DTs. They've got a job to do.

Bet wu can find a round 6,7 Center, if necessary.

And I am a Chili Cheese Fritos dude, with one of them EPIC Bison Bars plus a fist full of raw spinach...wu's go to fast food complete meal...with all the food groups.
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Therefore we are guaranteed a WR value pick @ #105...whisper, whisper...Cornelius the Wolverine.

@ #139 it's time for a Zone Corner (Kyree or Cam Hart.) Also Vato comes back dirt cheap and shines in Zone. (Minter plays mostly Zone.)

And I am a Chili Cheese Fritos dude, with one of them EPIC Bison Bars plus a fist full of raw spinach...wu's go to fast food complete meal...with all the food groups.
        Don't box me in, Woody! I am trading back and getting me some more 3rd's and 4th's. It's the Hortiz Way!
        PS... I'm taking Cornelius in the 6th. Let's get us a center in the 2nd. IDL and LB in the 3rd.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Oudunze is a smooth operator. Always in control and reliable.

The perceived weakness? Isn't explosive at the line of scrimmage. Will he beat press coverage? Well the question is do WR's need to consistently beat press coverage in the Chargers new run-centric offensive system? I would assume it prefers WRs with blocking ability so size helps, the ability to catch in traffic so good hands help, and if the CB presses said WR needs to run an effective fade route and most importantly consistently catch. These are Oudunze-like attributes!! Now if only we had a QB who throws accurate fade routes......oh wait?
          I’d like to see at least one Charger WR get away from traffic. Odunze looks like an upgrade on Mdub - thats a good comp but he’s not MH2 or Nabers in getting separation. And yes, if you get the rep you can’t beat press, you’ll get a lot of press. MI shut him down with press (and a lot of uncalled holding lol)
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• northerner
            Charger fan since '79
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I’d like to see at least one Charger WR get away from traffic. Odunze looks like an upgrade on Mdub - thats a good comp but he’s not MH2 or Nabers in getting separation. And yes, if you get the rep you can’t beat press, you’ll get a lot of press. MI shut him down with press (and a lot of uncalled holding lol)
            watching Hebert go through multiple reads so many times in the pocket, separation seems like the #1 need (and catch the dang ball).

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

watching Hebert go through multiple reads so many times in the pocket, separation seems like the #1 need (and catch the dang ball).
              I don’t want to sound anti-Odunze - he looks like a phenomenal talent and unique physically gifted player. I see more separation, both crisper direction change and that “burst” coming out of a cut in Nabers’ tape but like most here, I haven’t actually watched alot of complete game tapes of either. if JH2 favor one over the other - I’ll trust. They may not even want a WR.

In the meantime we’re gonna repeat all of these same posts for another, … what … 40 days? 50 days? And yet I can’t look away, nobody here can. Dark days of winter indeed …. We should all get help lol
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• northerner
                Charger fan since '79
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

I don’t want to sound anti-Odunze - he looks like a phenomenal talent and unique physically gifted player. I see more separation, both crisper direction change and that “burst” coming out of a cut in Nabers’ tape but like most here, I haven’t actually watched alot of complete game tapes of either. if JH2 favor one over the other - I’ll trust. They may not even want a WR.

In the meantime we’re gonna repeat all of these same posts for another, … what … 40 days? 50 days? And yet I can’t look away, nobody here can. Dark days of winter indeed …. We should all get help lol
                agree with everything you said. I can't give you a rea comparison of any draft prospects, it just seems like separation has to be a focus.

and it is good to know that I am not going crazy. i have never been as active on this board as i have the past few months. the coaching search (aka the Harbaugh watch) and now the draft / roster insanity. it is exciting to see what this team does.

Comment

• Kylars
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

I love Cam Hart for us.

"
                  • Has the fluidity, speed and quick feet to come down and defend slot receivers in man coverage. Hart also does a nice job breaking down in space as a tackler after the catch.
                  • Very good athleticism and flexibility. Has plus speed for the position and a second gear with good recovery speed to make up for missed plays.
                  • Made Bruce Feldman's Freak's List - ranked #38. He wrote "The 6-2 1/2, 205-pounder from Maryland has remarkable tools, broad-jumping 11-2, vertical-jumping 38 inches and hitting 21.7 mph on the GPS. His power-clean peak output (2490) is also one of the best on the team."
                  • Instinctive, adept at reading routes and anticipating throws, and strong in zone coverage.
                  • He’s excellent in run support, a physical hitter who could also get a look at safety
                  • Flashes some physicality as a hitter.
                  • Physical, sheds defenders and works off blocks. Good toughness with recognition skills to fight through traffic and blow up screens.
                  "

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

The Athletic Round 1 mock draft.

With our beat writers running the show, two teams traded up for quarterbacks in the top 10, while another made its move for Justin Fields.

5. Los Angeles Chargers: Malik Nabers, WR, LSU

I tried to trade down, but with the top three quarterbacks off the board, I did not get any bites. There is certainly a chance that new head coach Jim Harbaugh will look to take an offensive lineman at this spot. But I was unwilling to pass up the opportunity to draft a blue-chip receiver for Justin Herbert. The Chargers could be forced to move on from Mike Williams for cap reasons. Quentin Johnston, a 2023 first-round pick, had a rough rookie year. Supplying Herbert with weapons will always be a good team-building strategy. — Daniel Popper

Comment

• AK47
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2019
                      • Send PM

Thanks for that scouting tidbit.

MH2 or Nabers. MH2 is a no-brainer. I think you take that pick even over Bowers. Nabers....this kid was effective in the slot and outside. Could be our MW replacement.

...but should we take Nabers over say the best CB in the draft? Best TE of the draft. Best OT. This whole pick 5 thing is starting to become a chicken and the egg dilemma.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Thanks for that scouting tidbit.

MH2 or Nabers. MH2 is a no-brainer. I think you take that pick even over Bowers. Nabers....this kid was effective in the slot and outside. Could be our MW replacement.

...but should we take Nabers over say the best CB in the draft? Best TE of the draft. Best OT. This whole pick 5 thing is starting to become a chicken and the egg dilemma.
                        Yes we should pick Nabers over Bowers and the best OT in the draft. Otherwise trade down.

Comment

• electricgold
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2020
                          • Send PM

Here you go I traded down the #5 pick a few times and drafted our new starting OC while at the same time traded Bosa for Dallas' 3rd with the idea Salyer would be our new starting RT...

Jackson Powers-JohnsonOC Oregon

Chop RobinsonEDGE Penn State
                          T'Vondre SweatDT Texas

Ben SinnottTE Kansas State

Audric EstimeRB Notre Dame
                          Jaylen WrightRB Tennessee

Mike SainristilCB Michigan

Junior ColsonLB Michigan
                          Luke McCaffreyWR Rice

Zak ZinterOG Michigan
                          Malik MustaphaSS Wake Forest
                          A.J. BarnerTE Michigan