• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Critty
    Dominate the Day.
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
    Telesco hasn't traded up in 3 year (half his tenure as GM).
    Telesco has traded up 3 of the 6 drafts. (half his tenure as GM)
    Chargers have made draft day trade in 12 of last 19 drafts. About 2/3rds of the time.
    They are due for a trade. And in general it is up in the draft, not down.

This draft, I am going to say "50/50 chance they are trading up in rd1 or rd2."
    Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Chargers have made draft day trade in 12 of last 19 drafts. About 2/3rds of the time.

You could say that every draft. All just depends on how their board falls.
      They probably were not expecting Derwin to fall, and when he did, they pounced. But every year we could say .....in the first two- three rounds even, they could trade up .....or not.

Hec they could even trade down in those rounds.....or not.
      Most teams I'd say trade up to get the better players,....according to their board and then when their clusters are gone, then they trade down.
      Last edited by Boltjolt; 04-12-2019, 05:50 PM.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Maybe. But it seems that his drafts are better when he does stay put rather than trade up. If he does do a trade, it should be a trade down as you already mentioned since certain pundits like Breer feel the depth is there, just not the quality. The problem it seems is that every team outside of the top 10 will want to do the same thing:
        https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/08/nf...nce-josh-rosen

7. It's not unusual that you'd have more teams looking to move down than up in April, but it certainly seems like that's even more the case this year than it has been before. The reason? There's not much difference, as most teams see it, between the No. 10 and No. 15 picks. I had one team tell me over the weekend that the second round, based on grades, and depending on where the quarterbacks go, starts for them around the No. 12 or 13 pick.

The upshot? There's rich depth well into Friday, so it's good to have volume in this draft. The Panthers, Texans, Colts, Jaguars, Chiefs, Steelers and Redskins each have three picks on Friday. The Patriots have five. In an effort to build capital in that area, I'm told that two teams will be aggressively looking to deal down in the first round: the Lions and Seahawks.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

One could argue that they haven't had to trade up in the first few rounds the last 3 years. Sitting back at the end of each round & watching their entire cluster slowing getting picked off will be tempting.

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

time for a trade down....

going over my team needs, eye come up w/NT, DT, MLB, FS, OT, RB & WR, and.... wouldn't mind double dipping @both tackle spots and adding a QB to boot.

how do I do it ??

looking @NYG, Cincy & Miami, three teams that might have an interest in trading into the back of round one for a QB.

the Giants are the best trade partner as they have two fourths and two fifths.

if they have an interest in moving up to 28 overall, in return the Chargers would get their second rounder @37 in exchange, in addition to round four/pick 108, round five/pick 143, and their sixth rounder/pick 180.... w/three extra picks, my mock draft would look like this:

037) FS Nasir Adderley
            060) QB Jarrett Stidham
            091) DT Khalen Saunders
            108) OT Yodny Cajuste
            130) RB Bryce Love
            143) MLB Te'Von Coney/TJ Edwards
            166) NT Greg Gaines
            180) OT Isaiah Prince
            200) WIL Jawuan Johnson
            240) WR Jalen Hurd

the guy that I miss out on by trading down is Dexter Lawrence or similar, and all I gotta do is sign Danny Shelton in FA, and I'm good/golden.

what are your thoughts on trading down nine spots, and what would your board look like w/an additional three selections ??

* this would be the antithesis to the Eric Weddle draft, where instead of unnecessarily drafting a wideout in round one and trading up for our safety who shoulda been our first round pick to start with, we trade down and still get the guy we want, along w/some sorely needed added draft capita!
            Last edited by beachcomber; 04-19-2019, 11:52 PM.
            5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• La Costa Boy
              Pretty much retired......
              • Sep 2018
              • JoJa
              • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
              • Send PM

Interesting scenario. Thanks for doing the work to make us think. You have been a Stidham stud since day 1 but I would do something else at 60, say the best CB available or? I just read that Love is not looking good at all to teams with lingering health issues. So at 130, there would be a lot of possibilities that we could dip besides a guy that might be headed to the DL. This scenario would be a haul though truth be told. Somebody call TT and make it happen.........

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                time for a trade down....

going over my team needs, eye come up w/NT, DT, MLB, FS, OT, RB & WR, and.... wouldn't mind double dipping @both tackle spots and adding a QB to boot.

how do I do it ??

looking @NYG, Cincy & Miami, three teams that might have an interest in trading into the back of round one for a QB.

the Giants are the best trade partner as they have two fourths and two fifths.

if they have an interest in moving up to 28 overall, in return the Chargers would get their second rounder @37 in exchange, in addition to round four/pick 108, round five/pick 143, and their sixth rounder/pick 180.... w/three extra picks, my mock draft would look like this:

037) FS Nasir Adderley
                060) QB Jarrett Stidham
                091) DT Khalen Saunders
                108) OT Yodny Cajuste
                130) RB Bryce Love
                143) MLB Te'Von Coney/TJ Edwards
                166) NT Greg Gaines
                180) OT Isaiah Prince
                200) WIL Jawuan Johnson
                240) WR Jalen Hurd

the guy that I miss out on by trading down is Dexter Lawrence or similar, and all I gotta do is sign Danny Shelton in FA, and I'm good/golden.

what are your thoughts on trading down nine spots, and what would your board look like w/an additional three selections ??

* this would be the antithesis to the Eric Weddle draft, where instead of unnecessarily drafting a wideout in round one and trading up for our safety who shoulda been our first round pick to start with, we trade down and still get the guy we want, along w/some sorely needed added draft capita!
                I'd say you used the old chart which most teams do not and have their own charts today. I don't think we would get all those picks to trade down 9 spots.

Id ask for their 2nd and their third. Think they would do it. Or both 4ths. I'd rather have the higher pick(s) than a 5th and 6th.

And asside from Stidham and Love, looks fine to me.
                Last edited by Boltjolt; 04-20-2019, 08:19 AM.

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I'd say you used the old chart which most teams do not and have their own charts today. I don't think we would get all those picks to trade down 9 spots.

Id ask for their 2nd and their third. Think they would do it. Or both 4ths. I'd rather have the higher pick(s) than a 5th and 6th.

And asside from Stidham and Love, looks fine to me.
                  'tis a two way street/takes two to tango....

couple different elements to this scenario.... one factor is Daniel Jones and does he make it past Wash DC or whomever and make it to 17, and do the Giants really like him that much, as many a pundit has a hard time even penciling him in as a first round talent, and despite that DJ's latest mock has him going @6 overall.

still think the best landing spot for Rosen is GB, however if Gettleman decides that perhaps Rosen would play in NY, then wouldn't it be better to be able to use both of your first rounders on DL or other talent and still finagle a way to get the first round pick to Az that they apparently covet in return for Rosen ??

and if I'm them am much more willing to part w/one of my two fourths and one of my two fifths, and might not see a third pick/my sixth rounder as too much of a draft casualty, @least as compared to my lone third round pick, which obviously in theory nets me the better player/prospect ??

if I'm the Bolts and successfully negotiate said swap, then the odds are that I only hit on one of my three day three selections, and.... obviously team Tommy John prolly feels a lot more secure than that in their ability to fish out a prospect or coupla few from day three.

the other factor, if you're me, is that by signing FA Danny Shelton, am latching on to a bit more of a sure thing than taking my chances w/a Dexter Lawrence, and that's even if he's still on the board @28, and if I'm the Bolts and have decided that DB/FS is my priority in this draft, pretty darn sure we can nab someone @that position from our cluster @37 and be real happy w/things, and....

as I said earlier, could be a vast improvement upon the AJ draft of Craig Davis late in round one, and then his decision to trade up for Weddle, who many people conjectured was worthy of our first round pick in the first place, and so.... we get our DB of choice and then (energetically) shift the Chargers draft strategy to include gleaning more picks for a total of ten, and....

would be a nice look to the future, if we can somehow fashion ourselves as a team that perennially adds to our draft stockpile w/additional picks beyond just the usual seven afforded teams.
                  5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

http://gbnreport.com/2019-gbn-big-board/

028) CB Byron Murphy, WR AJ Brown, OL Kaleb McGary

037) FS Nasir Adderley, OL Dalton Risner, OC Eric McCoy, QB Ryan Finley
                    060) LT Yodny Cajuste
                    091) LB Te'Von Coney, DE/OLB Jachai Polite, TE Josh Oliver
                    108) DT Khalen Saunders, RB B. Love, MLB TJ Edwards, CB/FS Isaiah Johnson
                    130)
                    143) QB Jarrett Stidham
                    166) QB Brett Rypien, NT Greg Gaines
                    180) WR Jalen Hurd, RT Isaiah Prince
                    200)
                    240)

UDFA) NT Olive Sagapolu, WR John Ursua, FS Chris Johnson, MLB Josiah Tauaefa, OG Alex Bars

FA) NT Danny Shelton, SAM Jamie Collins, OC/G Tony Adams

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

most all the mocks and prognostications I toss out are usually players I like or closer to what I think the said team would be best off doing, and....

that said, am gonna instead throw out my first mock of who I think might make up a likely Chargers draft scenario this upcoming week:

1) DB Chauncey Gardner Johnson
                      2) LB Mack Wilson
                      3) OL David Edwards
                      4) WR Terry McLaurin
                      5) NT Greg Gaines
                      6) QB Tyree Jackson
                      7) LB Sione Takitaki

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

http://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/sikkema-s-final-2019-nfl-draft-big-board

028) Jachai, Dillard, Risner

037) Dex, Oruwariye, Deionte, AJB, Cajuste
                        060) Khalen
                        091) Josh Oliver
                        108) Jalen Hurd
                        130) Brett Rypien
                        143) Te'Von Coney, Greg Gaines
                        166) Jarrett Stidham
                        180) Ka!eb McGary, Ryan Finley
                        200) Isaiah Johnson

would love me those three extra picks from NY....

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

http://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/marino--final-2019-nfl-draft-big-board

028) Dex, Cody Ford, Oruwariye

037) AJ Brown, Dillard, Cajuste, Deionte, Jachai
                          060) Khalen Saunders
                          091) Kaleb McGary, Isaiah Johnson
                          108) Jarrett Stidham
                          130) Te'Von Coney
                          143) Jalen Hurd
                          166) Josh Oliver
                          180) TJ Edwards, Isaiah Prince
                          200) Finley, Rypien, Gaines, B. Love

think what doing these big board mocks shows is a coupla few things....

for one, you're gonna miss, and the more picks you have, obviously the better chance you have of bringing in players that are gonna populate your 53.

you're also gonna have the luxury of perhaps going for positions that are more wants than needs, which in my case is QB & RB, and perhaps TE/WR ??

and of the opinion that it is just good biz sense, and hope that team Tommy John can work the stockpiling of draft picks into their future repertoire.

ps. am not seeing the life and death difference between pick 28 & 37, and would love it if NY was willing/wanting to trade up into the back of the first....

Comment

Working...
                          X