• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    I'm not even sure the OL position is all that important. Shuffle the rest of the guys and play the 5 best.

I think Schofield is a better RT than OG, but Barksdale at RT made a better overall OL, so put Schofield at OG, and he never got in the mix at RT. This offseason, just find places to let guys compete and let TC decide who starts.
    When Schofield played RT in Denver, he was awful so I think the opposite there. We can upgrade him too at RG and i hope Lamp can take the RG spot next season. I think Feeney can be upgraded as well. Hopefully Lamp can take one of those spots and we can draft a RT. I dont want to see Schofield there and since he wasn't moved there over Tevi, i doubt he is going to see RT for us.
    Last edited by Boltjolt; 02-07-2019, 09:40 PM.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

The way the big board looks to me, Oline has some meat on the bone. The addition of one talented offensive lineman would have great impact.
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

I know Schofield was awful at RT in Denver, but in the 5 games or so he filled in for Barksdale 2 year ago, he played the best football of his career That was the best RT play we have seen in years. He is not great, but a big upgrade over Barksdale the last few years and Tevi last year. Schofield is a much more technically sound player than he was in Denver.

The Chargers have just gotten abused in the middle of the line the last 2 years. After watching Pulley become "decent-ish" starting C for the Giants, I am beginning to wonder how much of that is Meyer. Schofield gives an interview where he points out that Meyer has some different techniques and does some different stuff, and Meyer is the common thread inside. https://www.chargers.com/video/micha...team-this-year.

While everyone is down on Feeney, he was a promising rookie at this time last year. There are plenty of good NFL players who struggled in one or more of their 1st two NFL seasons. Same with Lamp, who has never been on the field when the offense has been installed.

The problem with sitting back and setting priorities about position needs, we don't have any idea who will be there at 28. Telesco talks about letting the draft come to you, and this is definitely going to be one of those kinds of drafts. I wouldn't mind trying to upgrade the RT spot. We have a lot of spots that can be said about (ILB, DT, FS, Edge, OG, WR) and we aren't going to fill them all this offseason via the draft or with quality FA. Some of the improvements we need are going to come off of guys who are on the roster now, and how can they be used better.

Comment

• Panamamike
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I know Schofield was awful at RT in Denver, but in the 5 games or so he filled in for Barksdale 2 year ago, he played the best football of his career That was the best RT play we have seen in years. He is not great, but a big upgrade over Barksdale the last few years and Tevi last year. Schofield is a much more technically sound player than he was in Denver.

The Chargers have just gotten abused in the middle of the line the last 2 years. After watching Pulley become "decent-ish" starting C for the Giants, I am beginning to wonder how much of that is Meyer. Schofield gives an interview where he points out that Meyer has some different techniques and does some different stuff, and Meyer is the common thread inside. https://www.chargers.com/video/micha...team-this-year.

While everyone is down on Feeney, he was a promising rookie at this time last year. There are plenty of good NFL players who struggled in one or more of their 1st two NFL seasons. Same with Lamp, who has never been on the field when the offense has been installed.

The problem with sitting back and setting priorities about position needs, we don't have any idea who will be there at 28. Telesco talks about letting the draft come to you, and this is definitely going to be one of those kinds of drafts. I wouldn't mind trying to upgrade the RT spot. We have a lot of spots that can be said about (ILB, DT, FS, Edge, OG, WR) and we aren't going to fill them all this offseason via the draft or with quality FA. Some of the improvements we need are going to come off of guys who are on the roster now, and how can they be used better.
          welcome back Steve. Missed your insights and looking forward to your thoughts this offseason.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

I have my doubts about Meyer too, but Lynn looks like hes keeping him.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

The bolded is where I'm at especially after watching NE's line dominate with low rounds draft picks and then a guy like Solder struggle horribly after he left. It poinbts to the value of Dante Scarnecchia and premier coaching in general.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

If we are stuck with Meyer, we better upgrade Feeney.

Comment

• Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

Man its so good to see you posting again. Welcome back.

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

glad to see someone giving Spencer Pulley some dues, as thought the guy had really good intangibles and that the line as a whole played pretty well most of the time, of which think he deserves some (Vanderbilt) credit for keeping things on point, despite what some saw/see as his tangible shortcomings.

and agree 'bout shuffling the Oline as had volunteered moving Feeney back to RG where he played in college and giving Tevi a try @LG, which left Lamp and Scho replacing Cole Toner and Qberry as backups, and w/the proverbial FA and/or draft pick replacement @RT.

have also given thought to the possibility of someone like Devin White dropping, and even wondered if someone like Ed Oliver might slip as well ??

far as TE, did/do like Josh Oliver, albeit he is ascending a little too fast for my liking and wondering/doubting 'bout his value @28 or even @60, and.... def looking for QB w/Stidham as see him (and Bryce Love for that matter) as top ten talent.

also don't mind extending the Chargers legacy if we think we've got a player there, i.e. Kellen Winslow/Gates, and/or Hadl/Fouts, Brees/PR.
                    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

ILBs were a hot commodity last year. Let's see if it continues.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                        glad to see someone giving Spencer Pulley some dues, as thought the guy had really good intangibles and that the line as a whole played pretty well most of the time, of which think he deserves some (Vanderbilt) credit for keeping things on point, despite what some saw/see as his tangible shortcomings.

and agree 'bout shuffling the Oline as had volunteered moving Feeney back to RG where he played in college and giving Tevi a try @LG, which left Lamp and Scho replacing Cole Toner and Qberry as backups, and w/the proverbial FA and/or draft pick replacement @RT.

have also given thought to the possibility of someone like Devin White dropping, and even wondered if someone like Ed Oliver might slip as well ??

far as TE, did/do like Josh Oliver, albeit he is ascending a little too fast for my liking and wondering/doubting 'bout his value @28 or even @60, and.... def looking for QB w/Stidham as see him (and Bryce Love for that matter) as top ten talent.

also don't mind extending the Chargers legacy if we think we've got a player there, i.e. Kellen Winslow/Gates, and/or Hadl/Fouts, Brees/PR.
                        I was hoping he really would develop when he was with us. He was a great athlete. Probably the most athletic C in football. He pulls and leads better than any C since Dermontti Dawson. And he is even OK when he has a NT over him. But the guy could not stop any slant or stunt. Just completely ineffective if the D was trying to conceal a game or stunt. he seems to have gotten a lot better with the Giants.

Problem is now Feeney is getting that way too. Pouncey had some of that back in Miami, so I am not going to blame Meyer.

The number one thing our OL has to do is adjust better to games and stunts, particularly to the left A and B gaps. Other teams 3 tech DT would just camp on that side and blow up play after play. It wasn't really physical breakdowns as much as lack of confidence and not identifying the stunts were coming. Then Pouncey and Feeney lung or get off balance and are tripping all over themselves.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

I dont know about this year, but the Feeney Pulley combo was horrible with the Bolts. And Id be pretty happy if Feeney was moved to backup.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X