• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
    I dont know about this year, but the Feeney Pulley combo was horrible with the Bolts. And Id be pretty happy if Feeney was moved to backup.
    This.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

I don't think they necessarily need to demote him, but they do need to bring in another quality player to push him. We too many positions to upgrade just through the draft, but the combination of street FA, UFA and the draft, should give us enough options.

I know Bolt from the Blue article is pretty pessimistic about Feeney's chances of developing, but younger player do tend to get better. It is absurd to give up on him, 1 year after he was an all-rookie player. Quite a few players have 2nd year slumps. And many more take longer to develop. Guys like Julian Edelman don't develop into quality players until much later in their careers. This is especially true of OL, since it is so dependant on fundamentals. Feeney definitely has some work to do.

I would even go so far as to say I would try and do it at 3 or 4 of the 5 OL positions. Pouncey was a huge upgrade at C, but he is still a great run blocker and OK as a pass protector, but only when the player lines up over him. One of his weaknesses has always been dealing with stunts, blitzes, and games inside, and he struggled with that again this year. Feeney struggled with some quickness and stunts/games/blitzes too. Schofield is basically solid but lacks the quickness athleticism/balance to deal with quick athletic pass rushers for extended periods. Tevi leaves his hands way too wide open, and lets his weight get too far forward at times, and needs to be more patient and rely on his footwork. He will get beat on the edge some, but most RT do,but he gives up sacks because he sells out to stop the edge rush and allows the inside moves and counters to get to Rivers.

We need to bring in some quality competition at OL. Bring in bodies and make the best players earn their spots. That way the players who we have now are forced to address their weaknesses. Make them work on their fundamentals and game tactics. Late round picks and UDFA do develop into good/great players. Not very often, but when they do, it is because they work their asses off and develop their fundamentals.

We also have to do that with a few positions on D too, so while we could put most of the emphasis on OL, it is not a slam dunk that we would necessarily work that way.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        I don't think they necessarily need to demote him, but they do need to bring in another quality player to push him. We too many positions to upgrade just through the draft, but the combination of street FA, UFA and the draft, should give us enough options.

I know Bolt from the Blue article is pretty pessimistic about Feeney's chances of developing, but younger player do tend to get better. It is absurd to give up on him, 1 year after he was an all-rookie player. Quite a few players have 2nd year slumps. And many more take longer to develop. Guys like Julian Edelman don't develop into quality players until much later in their careers. This is especially true of OL, since it is so dependant on fundamentals. Feeney definitely has some work to do.

I would even go so far as to say I would try and do it at 3 or 4 of the 5 OL positions. Pouncey was a huge upgrade at C, but he is still a great run blocker and OK as a pass protector, but only when the player lines up over him. One of his weaknesses has always been dealing with stunts, blitzes, and games inside, and he struggled with that again this year. Feeney struggled with some quickness and stunts/games/blitzes too. Schofield is basically solid but lacks the quickness athleticism/balance to deal with quick athletic pass rushers for extended periods. Tevi leaves his hands way too wide open, and lets his weight get too far forward at times, and needs to be more patient and rely on his footwork. He will get beat on the edge some, but most RT do,but he gives up sacks because he sells out to stop the edge rush and allows the inside moves and counters to get to Rivers.

We need to bring in some quality competition at OL. Bring in bodies and make the best players earn their spots. That way the players who we have now are forced to address their weaknesses. Make them work on their fundamentals and game tactics. Late round picks and UDFA do develop into good/great players. Not very often, but when they do, it is because they work their asses off and develop their fundamentals.

We also have to do that with a few positions on D too, so while we could put most of the emphasis on OL, it is not a slam dunk that we would necessarily work that way.
        yeah but BFTB is just dudes like us writing articles. Not a serious site .....to me anyways.
        imo we do need a RT and it wouldn't hurt if we can get another OG. I just think Lamp HAS to take one of those OG spots or he is a wasted second rounder, but yes we have to consider his injury on top of him not getting in a full training camp yet.
        Last edited by Boltjolt; 02-09-2019, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

The guys at BFTB do have a point. We don't seem to have developed an OL of our own in forever. I get it. Whether it is the front office getting the wrong guy, or the coaches not being able to develop the players brought in, one way or another, we have to learn to develop players at every position, not just OL.

Just getting rid of every young player who doesn't show all pro potential from week one is pretty unreasonable too.

But going out and just giving people a job doesn't always work out for teams either. That is a big part of the problem in getting FA to fill holes. They feel like they have made it and don't work as hard. Some do, but many don't and the track record of most NFL teams in FA reflect that. For the most part, signing a FA doesn't work well.

I think we have to go out and get players who can challenge Tevi, Lamp, Schofield, and Feeney. Pouncey too if we can manage it. Get them as early as possible and let every player know what their weaknesses are, and give them the opportunities to improve those skills. Use minicamp to decide the best way to utilize the various skills, and then allow them to compete against each other in TC.

Lamp is behind the 8-ball. He has not had a chance to learn the offense. The offense is installed initially in mini-camp and OTA's, and then they give a quick refresher period in TC, but he has missed both periods in both his seasons. THis year he really has to have his stuff together. It's worth remembering he was the highest ranked interior OL the year he was drafted and a lot of poeple really liked his look at OT too. But missing 2 straight seasons is tough to come back and we need help/improved play now. He, and the rest of the OL need to get their stuff together

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Steve, I think you used a key word earlier.
            Confidence.

I believe this is why we did not see a lot of Lamp.

In examining the Chris Watt story,
            after his first week of being thrown into the fire at C,
            he looked like our C of the future.

Week 2 of Watt was at NE,
            with the sophisticated, delayed A Gap blitzes.

Watt's confidence was shot...the rest was history.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
              yeah but BFTB is just dudes like us writing articles. Not a serious site .....to me anyways.
              imo we do need a RT and it wouldn't hurt if we can get another OG. I just think Lamp HAS to take one of those OG spots or he is a wasted second rounder, but yes we have to consider his injury on top of him not getting in a full training camp yet.
              I disagree with Hoyle about Geremy Davis.

First, Cantrell...redundancy.

Second, I project Artavis Scott to be WR#3.
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

With Feeney it may be scheme too, he seems so lost most plays in who to block, then in others he just gets bullied. He may develop, but I would not expect him to get much better here. He does pull well, we just do that so rarely, like a gimmick play for us. Dunno about his talent level, but his bad fit here is pretty obvious.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

level 1 Redskins
                  skinsballr2 days ago
                  1) Arizona Cardinals: Nick Bosa, DE, Ohio State
                  With Kliff Kingsbury and Vance Joseph looking to bring back the 3-4 defensive scheme to the desert, look no further than the Chargers' use of Joey Bosa for a glance at how his younger brother would fit with the Cardinals. Expect Nick to play defensive end but also get some snaps standing up on the edge. Either way, Bosa will collect offensive tackles using his length, speed and power. He could get double-digit sacks as a rookie.
                  2) San Francisco 49ers: Josh Allen, OLB, Kentucky
                  The Niners really want an edge rusher after only DeForest Buckner cracked six sacks for them in 2018 (Buckner had 12). Allen blew up offensive linemen all season en route to 17 sacks and 21.5 tackles for loss for the Wildcats. With his big 6-foot-5, 260-pound frame, Allen could line up as a defensive end in the 49ers' 4-3 scheme if he tacks on some more weight.
                  3) New York Jets: Rashan Gary, DE, Michigan
                  Henry Anderson is a free agent, and Leonard Williams has one year left on his contract, so defensive end is a need for Gang Green. Gary has good size (6-foot-5, 283 pounds) and athleticism with an explosive closing burst.
                  4) Oakland Raiders: Quinnen Williams, DT, Alabama
                  Williams just makes sense for the Raiders. Oakland hobbled to just 13 total sacks in 2018 after trading away Khalil Mack. As one of the two most talented prospects in this class, Williams would make an immediate impact with his quick first step and penchant for dropping guys in the backfield. Let's start the rebuild with an elite prospect.
                  5) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama
                  Williams is a plug-and-play prospect who would fill the void left by free agent Donovan Smith. He can handle speed rushes off the edge with quick feet and would help buy some time for Jameis Winston. However, I'd look for Tampa Bay to trade back and simply take the best offensive lineman available, with the likes of Jacksonville and Miami looking to move up to grab a QB.
                  6) New York Giants: Dwayne Haskins, QB, Ohio State
                  Imagine this big-armed signal-caller uncorking shots to Odell Beckham Jr. or finding Saquon Barkley in the flat. Sound fun? The one-year Buckeyes starter shows good touch and anticipation, and could be Big Blue's quarterback of the future. It makes perfect sense here, as long as another quarterback-hungry team doesn't hop the Giants via a trade.
                  7) Jacksonville Jaguars: Jeffery Simmons, DT, Mississippi State
                  This is a tough call if the Jags don't trade up for Haskins, and it would be their second straight year of using a first-round pick on a defensive tackle (Taven Bryan). Simmons would be a good addition if Malik Jackson and Marcell Dareus are cut. There's no denying Simmons' leverage at the line and his range, and he'd fit nicely in Jacksonville's one-gap-heavy scheme. Tom Coughlin and Doug Marrone would have to be OK with his character history.
                  8) Detroit Lions: Greedy Williams, CB, LSU
                  Detroit needs an edge rusher with Ezekiel Ansah likely headed out of town, and the Lions would love to add a solid tight end, but Williams is the best need-value match at No. 8. The Lions tied for second-fewest interceptions in the league with seven, and the tall LSU corner has the closing speed to bait quarterbacks and then pounce on their mistakes. Motor City hasn't gone cornerback in the first round since Terry Fair in 1998.
                  9) Buffalo Bills: Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida
                  The Bills need to protect Josh Allen, and Taylor is mobile and powerful with good size. He can ride faster rushers past the QB with his quickness, allowing Allen time to find a receiver deep (yeah, Buffalo needs one of those too) or take off. With Dion Dawkins at left tackle and the majority of Taylor's experience coming on the right side, the Florida alum would replace Jordan Mills at right tackle.
                  10) Denver Broncos: Deandre Baker, CB, Georgia
                  Denver could trade up for a quarterback or take the dive here for Kyler Murray or Drew Lock, but this secondary is hurting as well. Aqib Talib is long gone, and Chris Harris Jr. fractured his fibula in December. What's more, Bradley Roby is a free agent. Baker is the most instinctive corner in the class.
                  11) Cincinnati Bengals: Cody Ford, OT, Oklahoma
                  Devin White is a potential selection here, too. But right tackle is a glaring hole, and Ford is a big, nasty finisher. He's overpowering at the point of attack and can control defenders in setting up the Joe Mixon run game. Plus, he comes with the versatility to play either right tackle or right guard at the next level.
                  12) Green Bay Packers: Devin White, ILB, LSU
                  Green Bay would probably want an edge rusher here, but the value is just off the charts for White. I envision him becoming the future leader of the defense as a three-down rangy backer who moves with explosiveness. And with the Saints' pick on the back end of the round, the Packers can still get their pass-rusher.
                  13) Miami Dolphins: Kyler Murray, QB, Oklahoma Yes, the risk is apparent -- Murray is undersized at 5-foot-10 and still hasn't decided on his baseball career. But he has an electric arm and some of the best athleticism I've seen at the position in years. New offensive coordinator Chad O'Shea would have a real talent to develop at quarterback if Miami moves on from the Ryan Tannehill era.
                  14) Atlanta Falcons: Ed Oliver, DT, Houston
                  If Atlanta is able to lock up free agent Grady Jarrett, Dexter Lawrence could also be an option. But even as Oliver slides down draft boards, his ability to be disruptive and burst out of his stance is fun to watch. The Falcons were in the bottom five in run defense last season.
                  15) Washington Redskins: Marquise Brown, WR, Oklahoma
                  Washington really wants a receiver, and Brown is an absolute burner. Despite being 5-foot-9, he can win vertically and has shown the ability to pluck the ball away from his body even as he rips along in fifth gear. The Redskins will keep an eye on quarterback Alex Smith's recovery, but Brown makes sense here for a team that needs a spark on offense.
                  16) Carolina Panthers: Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson
                  The Panthers didn't get to quarterbacks in 2018, and although they could address it in free agency, there is a hole at defensive end. Ferrell shows high-end physical tools and quick hands, which helped put him in the top 10 in the nation in both sacks and tackles for loss in 2018.

17) Cleveland Browns: Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson Sure, the Browns have some other areas of need, but this value is too good to pass up, especially with Trevon Coley and Carl Davis headed toward free agency. Wilkins is one of the top 10-12 players in the draft class. He is scheme-versatile, and Cleveland would love his high awareness and motor in the middle of that defensive line.
                  18) Minnesota Vikings: Montez Sweat, DE, Mississippi State
                  With the top three offensive linemen off the board -- reaching for Ole Miss' Greg Little is a possibility but doubtful -- Minnesota turns to defensive end here and grabs Sweat. Even though the Vikings have Danielle Hunter and Everson Griffen (who is 31) off the edge, you can never have enough pass-rushers. Sweat impressed at the Senior Bowl and has some great takeoff quickness.
                  19) Tennessee Titans: T.J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa
                  Delanie Walker is 34 and was injured last season, so the addition of Hockenson would bring stability to the position. He can block and is a real pass-catching weapon. I think he's the best tight end in the class, and Marcus Mariota loves to target his tight ends.
                  20) Pittsburgh Steelers: Devin Bush, LB, Michigan
                  There's a void in the Steelers' linebacker corps without Ryan Shazier. Bush, an athletic every-down backer, has the instincts to play Shazier's middle linebacker spot. With Bud Dupree and T.J. Watt also in the mix, this unit could be pretty dominant.
                  21) Seattle Seahawks: Jachai Polite, DE/OLB, Florida
                  The Seahawks have a decent linebacker stable, but they could use an edge rusher. Polite recorded 11 sacks for the Gators last season, showing speed and slipperiness coming around the corner.
                  22) Baltimore Ravens: D.K. Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss The Ravens definitely upgraded their receiving a bit this season, but they still lack a real game-changer. Metcalf missed a chunk of time this season with a neck injury, but he's a big, vertical threat. He'd give Lamar Jackson a reliable option, especially in the red zone.
                  23) Houston Texans: Joejuan Williams, CB, Vanderbilt
                  Man, the more tape I watch, the more I like Williams. He's a long press corner with some strong ball skills. After Houston allowed an eye-popping 62 sacks of their franchise quarterback Deshaun Watson in 2018, offensive tackle might be a heavier lean here, but with the top three already gone, the Texans opt to replace Kareem Jackson instead.
                  **24) Oakland Raiders (from Chicago Bears):**A.J. Brown, WR, Ole Miss
                  Metcalf's teammate would fit nicely with Jon Gruden's West Coast offense. Brown is a big slot receiver who can create mismatches. He has a wide catch radius and can produce yards after the catch. With Amari Cooper out of town, this team is looking for someone, anyone, for Derek Carr (or whoever is under center) to target.
                  25) Philadelphia Eagles: Dexter Lawrence, DT, Clemson
                  It's no secret that the Eagles want a cornerback, but this is some really, really good value. Put Lawrence next to Fletcher Cox and let those two plug the middle of a line that was in the bottom third in rush defense this season.
                  26) Indianapolis Colts: Trayvon Mullen, CB, Clemson
                  Indy could use a receiver, but the secondary is a bigger need. Mullen, a long and lean corner, had four interceptions over the past two seasons with the Tigers and would help shore up the Colts' middle-of-the-road pass defense.
                  27) Oakland Raiders (from Dallas Cowboys): Josh Jacobs, RB, Alabama
                  The final first-round pick for Gruden's draft goes to a running back. An explosive back who runs angry through the hole, Jacobs would give Oakland a revamped run game with Marshawn Lynchcoming up on age 33 and hitting free agency. With well south of 300 career touches for the Crimson Tide, Jacobs is light on the wear-and-tear.
                  28) Los Angeles Chargers: Jerry Tillery, DT, Notre Dame
                  No change from Mock 1.0 here. After being pushed around by the Patriots in the playoffs, the Chargers will look to address defensive tackle, as they have some linemen entering free agency. Tillery can press against the run and occasionally flash as a pass-rusher. A combination of Joey Bosa, Melvin Ingram and Tillery would be daunting to opposing offenses. Also, don't be shocked to see the Bolts think quarterback with another one of their early picks as they look to the future.
                  29) Kansas City Chiefs: Byron Murphy, CB, Washington
                  The Chiefs were ever so close to going to the Super Bowl in Year 1 of Patrick Mahomes driving the offense. But if they want to make that jump in the 2019 season, they desperately need to fix the secondary. Murphy hauled in seven picks in two seasons with the Huskies and would be an instant upgrade for Kansas City. And looking ahead to Day 2, I think K.C. could go running back if the opportunity to get Bryce Love or Damien Harris presents itself.
                  30) Green Bay Packers (from New Orleans Saints): Oshane Ximines, DE, Old Dominion
                  Clay Matthews and Muhammad Wilkerson are both free agents, and Ximines would give the Pack a rusher off the edge. He stood out at the Senior Bowl and plays with power. He piled on 12 sacks and 18.5 tackles for loss at ODU this season. Ximines would be the first Old Dominion draft pick ever.
                  31) Los Angeles Rams: Irv Smith Jr., TE, Alabama
                  Super Bowl stinker aside, this offense is outstanding, and the addition of a matchup piece like Smith would just give Jared Goff and Sean McVay one more weapon. He has speed and athleticism. But there are also a lot of holes on defense, so the Rams might look to add to the secondary.
                  32) New England Patriots: Gerald Willis III, DT, Miami (FL)
                  Trey Flowers, Malcom Brown and Danny Shelton will go to free agency, so the champs will likely address defensive line this offseason. Willis has quick hands and lots of power at the point of contact. If the Patriots opt to go another way, they could look for an heir to Tom Brady or another tight end (Noah Fant?).

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

The guys at BFTB do have a point. We don't seem to have developed an OL of our own in forever. I get it. Whether it is the front office getting the wrong guy, or the coaches not being able to develop the players brought in, one way or another, we have to learn to develop players at every position, not just OL.

Just getting rid of every young player who doesn't show all pro potential from week one is pretty unreasonable too.

But going out and just giving people a job doesn't always work out for teams either. That is a big part of the problem in getting FA to fill holes. They feel like they have made it and don't work as hard. Some do, but many don't and the track record of most NFL teams in FA reflect that. For the most part, signing a FA doesn't work well.

I think we have to go out and get players who can challenge Tevi, Lamp, Schofield, and Feeney. Pouncey too if we can manage it. Get them as early as possible and let every player know what their weaknesses are, and give them the opportunities to improve those skills. Use minicamp to decide the best way to utilize the various skills, and then allow them to compete against each other in TC.

Lamp is behind the 8-ball. He has not had a chance to learn the offense. The offense is installed initially in mini-camp and OTA's, and then they give a quick refresher period in TC, but he has missed both periods in both his seasons. THis year he really has to have his stuff together. It's worth remembering he was the highest ranked interior OL the year he was drafted and a lot of poeple really liked his look at OT too. But missing 2 straight seasons is tough to come back and we need help/improved play now. He, and the rest of the OL need to get their stuff together
                    Bellichick seems to get the most out of his players. Even the malcontents he signs. Does he have a magic wand or is he some sort of ninja who threatens them to play well or else? Don't know why he can do it and we can't. Though Hayward has played better for us than he did in Green Bay.

But yeah, we have trouble developing OL. We need a better OL coach along with a better STs coach

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

I disagree with Hoyle about Geremy Davis.

First, Cantrell...redundancy.

Second, I project Artavis Scott to be WR#3.
                      Yeah I like Scott to take TWills spot on the WR roster. He don't have his speed but he can play. Not a big Davis fan and hope to see more of Cantrell.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Bellichick seems to get the most out of his players. Even the malcontents he signs. Does he have a magic wand or is he some sort of ninja who threatens them to play well or else? Don't know why he can do it and we can't. Though Hayward has played better for us than he did in Green Bay.

But yeah, we have trouble developing OL. We need a better OL coach along with a better STs coach
                        The 3 OL we have drafted under Lynn are Feeney, Lamp and Tevi. Time will tell. However, a lot of the other players we have drafted are panning out fairly early. Lynn is starting to remind me of another coming of Marty, in that he seems to be able to get almost everyone we draft, and a lot of the UDFA to not only contribute early, but develop into good players.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

The 3 OL we have drafted under Lynn are Feeney, Lamp and Tevi. Time will tell. However, a lot of the other players we have drafted are panning out fairly early. Lynn is starting to remind me of another coming of Marty, in that he seems to be able to get almost everyone we draft, and a lot of the UDFA to not only contribute early, but develop into good players.
                          I was considering the other OL that TT drafted under McCoy. Watt was just a waste. Tevi has been ok. Just think a more talented guy would do wonders and make Tevi a swing OT to slide to OG if needed. We just need to get better in the middle and RT

Comment

Working...
                          X