Clear All
  • Lone Bolt
    Oline-Tip of the Spear...
    • Feb 2019
    • McLean Illinois
    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
    A trade deal per ESPN. I'd make it. It's essentially we give them our 2nd and draft back 5 picks in the 1st.

28. Los Angeles Chargers

Chargers get: QB Josh Rosen, 2-33, 4-103
    Cardinals get: 1-28, 2-60

Chargers general manager Tom Telesco hasn't really exhibited much interest in trading draft picks. Since trading up to grab Melvin Gordon in 2015, the only time Telesco has traded away a draft pick was when he sent a seventh-round pick to the Bills for Cardale Jones in 2018. There's a good chance he'll hold onto his picks again this year.
    Former No. 10 overall pick Josh Rosen struggled as a rookie, but he could be an excellent backup behind Philip Rivers. Richard Mackson/USA TODAY Sports
    With that being said, the Chargers have a quarterback entering the final year of his deal who turns 38 in December, and while Philip Rivers continues to play at a high level, there's no guarantee that the 15-year veteran wants to play deep into another contract extension. They wouldn't need Rosen for 2019 or maybe even for 2020, but trading for him now would give the Chargers peace of mind that they'll have a starter after Rivers packs it in.

At this price, L.A. would value Rosen as worth the 61st pick in a typical draft, which seems like the low end for a guy who was the 10th overall pick in 2018. With Tyrod Taylor's contract nonguaranteed in 2020, trading for Rosen is a move the Chargers would have to seriously consider.
    It's actually a pretty good deal....you can look at it as trading back to 33 from 28 for the pick at the top of the 4th round. I would do that deal by itself...as Woody pointed out, that 33 is a valuable pick...plenty of time to decide, as well as potential for even more trade opportunities. Now you are basically trading a late second rounder for Rosen. If the Staff really likes Rosen, and Rivers has confided he is a short timer...2 years, 3 tops...then a pretty good deal. But again, our guys have really got to like Rosen. I am skeptical that is the case...but who knows.
    Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Rather burn that second to trade up for an elite DT ala Oliver.

Comment

• Boltgang74
        We Are The Storm!
        • Aug 2018
        • Send PM

Or Devin White

Comment

• chris9341
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
          Rather burn that second to trade up for an elite DT ala Oliver.
          I suggested we trade up in one of the threads a while back and was told that was crazy but I do believe if Oliver is available in picks 10-15 the chargers will look to trade up to get him. IMO I honestly believe the chargers have Oliver rated as there top draft board pick but realize the only way to get him is to trade up. Alot of the early mock drafts that i had seen atleast had Ed Oliver going past the tenth pick. But now most mocks have him going in top 5. Everyone is talking about Quinnen Williams and Nick Bosa but Oliver imo will be the most impactful out of those three.

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post

I suggested we trade up in one of the threads a while back and was told that was crazy but I do believe if Oliver is available in picks 10-15 the chargers will look to trade up to get him. IMO I honestly believe the chargers have Oliver rated as there top draft board pick but realize the only way to get him is to trade up. Alot of the early mock drafts that i had seen atleast had Ed Oliver going past the tenth pick. But now most mocks have him going in top 5. Everyone is talking about Quinnen Williams and Nick Bosa but Oliver imo will be the most impactful out of those three.
            I would happily take the leftovers of that selection.

But i do find it funny how many think they "know" who the chargers have rated at the top of their board. no idea what info there would be to support such conjecture. TT is definitely not an open book. In reality none of us have a clue. I am sure they have some mock darlings rated much lower and some much higher than the mocks. it makes this part of the offseason fun for us though for sure.

personally i am not a big fan of trading up that far to grab a player at a position that this draft class is historically strong in. There are many ways to play the cards dealt for sure.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
              Or Devin White
              Would love that.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

How ESPN's Todd McShay thinks Chargers can win the 2019 NFL draft

Here's how McShay laid out his ideal draft for L.A. followed with his reasoning for each selection.

Round 1, No. 28, OT Cody Ford, Oklahoma

Round 2, No. 60, CB Lonnie Johnson, Kentucky

Round 3, No. 91, OT Max Scharping, Northern Illinois

Ford is an absolute mauler who played both guard and tackle at OU, and Scharping has great feet. That offensive line needs some reinforcements, especially at right tackle, and we'd take care of that early here for the Bolts. Then a press corner such as Johnson would provide another option behind Casey Hayward and Desmond King.

Fellow ESPN analyst Mel Kiper wrote a similar piece recently and detailed how each team could earn a grade 'A'. In his, he takes a different approach by addressing the defensive line with Mississippi State's Jeffery Simmons, Philip Rivers' successor with West Virginia's Will Grier and adding an offensive tackle with Oklahoma's Bobby Evans.

Between the two analyst's scenarios for the Chargers, McShay would likely get the thumbs up over Kiper for his haul.

We've mentioned before that Los Angeles could look to double dip on the offensive line before Day 3 since it was near the worst positional group in 2018. That's exactly what McShay hits on in his.

Ford provides inside-out versatility as he has experience at guard. With there being uncertainty with the trust of Dan Feeney after his poor sophomore season, questions in regards to the role for Forrest Lamp and Michael Schofield becoming an unrestricted free agent after this season, L.A. could look to slide him inside. He would then be able to kick outside to left tackle when Russell Okung's time is up.

As far as Scharping, he's going to primarily serve as a right tackle at the next level, which means that he could start over Sam Tevi immediately. He will bring the much needed strength and aggression in run blocking, but also the intelligence, body control and strong hands to excel in pass protection.

The selection of Johnson might've caught people off guard since this isn't seen as a huge need. But it's evident that the team has been looking to get better and acquire more depth in the secondary. Johnson is a long corner with great size and speed to play on the outside and is a perfect fit for defensive coordinator's Cover 3 scheme.

Even though McShay didn't address the interior part of the defensive line or free safety position, the offensive line improved tremendously. If they did go this route, talent at the positions can still be found on Day 3.

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                  Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                  • Feb 2019
                  • McLean Illinois
                  • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                  • Send PM

Liuget, Square, and Philon were allowed to walk....Mebane with just a few tours left IMO....Meanwhile, all the olineman are returning as far as I know, and outside of Okung and Pouncey, we are young there.

But Mcshay thinks we are revamping the oline? Two of our top three picks? I'm skeptical.
                  Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

I would happily take the leftovers of that selection.

But i do find it funny how many think they "know" who the chargers have rated at the top of their board. no idea what info there would be to support such conjecture. TT is definitely not an open book. In reality none of us have a clue. I am sure they have some mock darlings rated much lower and some much higher than the mocks. it makes this part of the offseason fun for us though for sure.

personally i am not a big fan of trading up that far to grab a player at a position that this draft class is historically strong in. There are many ways to play the cards dealt for sure.
                    Yeah I don't see us trading pick(s) to trade up for a DT,...especially in a draft heavy DT class.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                      Liuget, Square, and Philon were allowed to walk....Mebane with just a few tours left IMO....Meanwhile, all the olineman are returning as far as I know, and outside of Okung and Pouncey, we are young there.

But Mcshay thinks we are revamping the oline? Two of our top three picks? I'm skeptical.
                      I still think that our DL is better than our OL, even after the departures.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Nice thing about this draft, we can meet multiple needs all through it. We are in really great shape for that, thank you TT.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Funny how different people can see different things. I saw Sweat with several hits on the QB (1 sack) and a time when he picked Risner off his feet and slammed him down on his ass. The others you list are mostly power guys, not speed guys. And LJ Collier plays on the other side for TCU (don't think he had any reps against Risner).

Most "experts" see him struggling with NFL speed and believe that many teams see him at guard or center...

I guess that's the beauty of the draft. Everyone has their own interpretations. Go Dexter!
                          I thought Risner did a credible job in pass protection against Sweat - he was beat badly on one play. Didn't see him get picked up and thrown on his ass; did see him put Sweat in a death grip on several running plays.

And i don't really want to like him: athletic limitations & a lumbering style are not my ideal first round candidate. He gets the job done, but i have concerns.

Comment

Working...
                          X