• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Those two players are my best guess for the Bolts first two picks. And I'd celebrate it.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
      Andrew Whitworth Award: Dalton Risner, OL, Kansas State

His tape is boring because he just blocks everyone

Risner's been an NFL prospect for more than two years now, after he made the switch from center to right tackle following the 2015 season.

There's not a whole lot that's flashy about his game. Well, except the mean streak that pops every game. Risner doesn't have gargantuan length, he's not an elite-level athlete (though he's not a poor athlete either), and he isn't overwhelmingly powerful.

He plays the tackle spot boringly. The same balanced footwork, patient, accurate punch, and vice-like grip once he latches on essentially every snap. Another aspect of Risner's game I love: the wherewithal and ability to recover in the rare occasions when he's been beaten. He never gives up on a play and is ready to match NFL-caliber speed-to-power conversions on the outside.

Sure, he could move inside to guard or even man the center spot at the next level. But this man put three years of high-quality tackle play on film. Risner is NFL-ready with a high floor, and like Whitworth, you can plug him on at the tackle spot and forget about it for a long time.
      This post meets with my approval. Not only does Risner grade well in pass pro, he's also a very good blocker in the ground game. See my mock...

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...AJ released Harrison, who had some decent years with the Cheats after that...sigh...
        It was actually Butler who released Rodney and traded Seau.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Damon Harrison Award: Khalen Saunders, DT, Western Illinois

Small-school deep sleeper who'll have a long NFL career

Nasir Adderley, the springy safety from Delaware, would've been the easy choice here. Instead, I'll go a tad bit deeper with Saunders, the outrageously gifted defensive tackle in a nose tackle's body from Western Illinois.

Saunders can get a little lazy at times and play high. After being exposed to NFL strength and conditioning, he'll be fine in that regard. When he flips it on though, look out. We're talking about a 6-foot-1, 324-pound dancing bear with a lightning-quick first step, spin move, active hands, and insane closing speed for his size.

Because of his girth, teams will like how he naturally eats blockers, and a smart defensive coordinator will give him opportunities to attack upfield. He dispatches blocks against the run with ease and works through interior linemen en route to the quarterback with much more than just a low-center-of-gravity bull rush -- which, by the way, is pretty effective too.

Saunders dominated the FCS level with 14 sacks and 25 tackles for loss over the past two seasons, then was the most unblockable interior defensive lineman at the Senior Bowl. He'll probably go on Day 2. He might fall to the early portions of Day 3. Don't care. Saunders' rare movement skills, power, and girth will all contribute to a long, solid NFL career.
          Voch Lombardi does a pretty nice analysis of Saunders from the Senior Bowl practice here (starts at 2:42--I like the way Saunders pushes the pocket):

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Those two players are my best guess for the Bolts first two picks. And I'd celebrate it.
            Saunders is a bit raw for a 2nd round pick. He is a great athlete but really needs to learn to play DT. It doesn't help that he has played at a small school. I hope he is a day 3 pick.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Saunders is a bit raw for a 2nd round pick. He is a great athlete but really needs to learn to play DT. It doesn't help that he has played at a small school. I hope he is a day 3 pick.
              Doesn't that say "upside"? Isnt that why players are chosen.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Doesn't that say "upside"? Isnt that why players are chosen.
                Saunders is one in here i feel is over hyped and in the 2nd round would be a pick for need and not BPA or BPA at a need. In the second round we hope the players can contribute a lot. Is Saunders ready to contribute a lot as a rookie? Is he a better option than who we have already? Your right, upside but when? Same thing as drafting Simmons who wont help us this year but id think we all agree he would contribute big in 2020. Saunders might take longer.

I do get that we pick late in every round so we may have to pick a guy earlier than we want unless we trade up. Telesco isnt very creative at manufacturing extra picks like Bellichick is and trading back would be a way to do that to get a higher 3rd rounder for example or earlier 2nd or even trading a player. Just not something he does and we never have extra picks.
                Last edited by Boltjolt; 04-21-2019, 09:55 AM.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Some are taken for the upside. Saunders is an upside guy.

Some are taken because they are more ready to play.

If we draft Saunders, I don't think there is any way he gets on the field his rookie season. He is just too raw and too much of a project. I wouldn't let that prevent us from taking him, just saying.
                  Last edited by Steve; 04-21-2019, 12:44 PM.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

I can see us taking a DT talent early and development guy late. Our roster of knuckle dragging DTs is slim.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                      Pretty much retired......
                      • Sep 2018
                      • JoJa
                      • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I have him clustered comfortably in the 3rd round. Did you mean 3rd round or? If we pass on him at 91, I assure you there is no way he is passed on 39 times before our next pick. He will be a goner-a-rino........

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Armon Watts or Trysten Hill would be good 4th-5th choices. Y'all know who the 5-6 1st rd DTs are. Wren would be my 3rd rd guy.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

The issue with Saunders is disengaging from blocks.

But look at his athleticism, his ability to penetrate and close.

A small school 1TECH, I project him to 3TECH #2 for us, and a perfect fit behind Justin Jones.

The only negative while Khalen learns technique is, the snaps at 1TECH will be minimal.

I see a more athletic version of Philon.
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X