• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Rodney Harrison has accepted the NFL's invitation to announce the 3rd round pick for the Chargers. He said it's time to move on from his bitterness against the organization.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
      Pretty much retired......
      • Sep 2018
      • JoJa
      • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
      • Send PM

I just saw a 7 round mock by Chad Reuter on NFL.com. With our 5th rounder, # 166, he has us take Mitch Wishnowsky - Punter Utah. Here is a sampling of guys I found taken AFTER a punter at 166.

Mike Edwards S Kentucky
      Ben Burr Kirven LB Washington
      Germaine Pratt LB NC State
      Alex Bars G Notre Dame
      Savion Smith S Alabama
      Trey Pipkins G Sioux Falls
      Sione Takitaki LB BYU
      Bobby Evans OT Oaklahoma
      Kevin Givens DT Penn State
      Daylon Mack DT Texas A&M
      Jalen Hurd WR Baylor
      Beau Benzschawel G Wisconsin
      Ross Pierschbacher G Alabama
      Benny Snell RB Kentucky

If we take a punter at 5 with that kind of talent left on the board he had better be named Ray Guy. Oh and in the 6th he has us taking Easton Stick QB North Dakota State.

We are in stupid season for mocks IMHO.........

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
        Rodney Harrison has accepted the NFL's invitation to announce the 3rd round pick for the Chargers. He said it's time to move on from his bitterness against the organization.
        It is......Marty nor AJ are there any longer.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
          I just saw a 7 round mock by Chad Reuter on NFL.com. With our 5th rounder, # 166, he has us take Mitch Wishnowsky - Punter Utah. Here is a sampling of guys I found taken AFTER a punter at 166.

Mike Edwards S Kentucky
          Ben Burr Kirven LB Washington
          Germaine Pratt LB NC State
          Alex Bars G Notre Dame
          Savion Smith S Alabama
          Trey Pipkins G Sioux Falls
          Sione Takitaki LB BYU
          Bobby Evans OT Oaklahoma
          Kevin Givens DT Penn State
          Daylon Mack DT Texas A&M
          Jalen Hurd WR Baylor
          Beau Benzschawel G Wisconsin
          Ross Pierschbacher G Alabama
          Benny Snell RB Kentucky

If we take a punter at 5 with that kind of talent left on the board he had better be named Ray Guy. Oh and in the 6th he has us taking Easton Stick QB North Dakota State.

We are in stupid season for mocks IMHO.........
          Yeah saw that yesterday. Overall i did not like who he mocked to is.
          Seems the pundits ha e these players ranked all over the place. Some of them are ranked anywhere from 2nd round to 6th round.

We do need a punter but figure he will come as a signed vet or UDFA. Hec Kaser is still out there. Plenty of others that can hold on FGs. Rivers even did it lol

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

It is......Marty nor AJ are there any longer.
            I am still pissed at AJ about Rodney Harrison.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

I think that was more Schottenheimer than Smith. I remember Rodney telling a story about how the D coordinator (under Mike Riley?) would give him & Junior the game plan, and Rodney/Junior would then choose what part of it they wanted to implement. I think that is why Schottenheimer let them go.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

also surprised that DJ pinpoints the CB play as one of our downfalls against the Pats, as was under the impression that White (Derwin ?) and Edelman (Desmond ?) were the chief troublemakers there ??

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001026563/article/daniel-jeremiah-2019-nfl-mock-draft-30-drew-lock-to-packers
                I pinpointed CB as one of the downfalls against the Pats in that the coaching staff felt the Charger CBs had to play off the receivers consistently and didn't try to jam them. Having an unreliable free safety didn't help matters. Loads of pitCh and catch on 3rd downs early. verret on edelman would have helped matters, but there were lots of other issues. rams corners also lacked speed; but phillips mixed things up and caused confusion on Brady's part. Phillips also sent pressure up the middle consistently. Bradley's D was childs play to Brady
                Last edited by powderblueboy; 04-20-2019, 12:14 PM.

Comment

• chargeroo
                  Fan since 1961
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Oregon
                  • Retired Manager/Pastor
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I think that was more Schottenheimer than Smith. I remember Rodney telling a story about how the D coordinator (under Mike Riley?) would give him & Junior the game plan, and Rodney/Junior would then choose what part of it they wanted to implement. I think that is why Schottenheimer let them go.
                  I agree - Marty was a darn good coach but he was a control freak. Rodney and Junior simply would follow like sheep.
                  THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Part of the problem vs the Pats was we did initially try and press the NE WR. They got off the press so fast it was incredible. Our DB hardly slowed them down. PLaying bad press coverage is far worse than playing soft zones.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Yep...AJ released Harrison, who had some decent years with the Cheats after that...sigh...

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Andrew Whitworth Award: Dalton Risner, OL, Kansas State

His tape is boring because he just blocks everyone

Risner's been an NFL prospect for more than two years now, after he made the switch from center to right tackle following the 2015 season.

There's not a whole lot that's flashy about his game. Well, except the mean streak that pops every game. Risner doesn't have gargantuan length, he's not an elite-level athlete (though he's not a poor athlete either), and he isn't overwhelmingly powerful.

He plays the tackle spot boringly. The same balanced footwork, patient, accurate punch, and vice-like grip once he latches on essentially every snap. Another aspect of Risner's game I love: the wherewithal and ability to recover in the rare occasions when he's been beaten. He never gives up on a play and is ready to match NFL-caliber speed-to-power conversions on the outside.

Sure, he could move inside to guard or even man the center spot at the next level. But this man put three years of high-quality tackle play on film. Risner is NFL-ready with a high floor, and like Whitworth, you can plug him on at the tackle spot and forget about it for a long time.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Damon Harrison Award: Khalen Saunders, DT, Western Illinois

Small-school deep sleeper who'll have a long NFL career

Nasir Adderley, the springy safety from Delaware, would've been the easy choice here. Instead, I'll go a tad bit deeper with Saunders, the outrageously gifted defensive tackle in a nose tackle's body from Western Illinois.

Saunders can get a little lazy at times and play high. After being exposed to NFL strength and conditioning, he'll be fine in that regard. When he flips it on though, look out. We're talking about a 6-foot-1, 324-pound dancing bear with a lightning-quick first step, spin move, active hands, and insane closing speed for his size.

Because of his girth, teams will like how he naturally eats blockers, and a smart defensive coordinator will give him opportunities to attack upfield. He dispatches blocks against the run with ease and works through interior linemen en route to the quarterback with much more than just a low-center-of-gravity bull rush -- which, by the way, is pretty effective too.

Saunders dominated the FCS level with 14 sacks and 25 tackles for loss over the past two seasons, then was the most unblockable interior defensive lineman at the Senior Bowl. He'll probably go on Day 2. He might fall to the early portions of Day 3. Don't care. Saunders' rare movement skills, power, and girth will all contribute to a long, solid NFL career.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X