• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

So, if you want to sign Dexter, where would you get a DT that can push the pocket and help Bosa and Ingram? Dexter is a solid run stuffer, but he needs a lot of work on technique, and he is not a very good pass rusher.

You can get run stuffers later in the draft, or in FA for a relatively low price. There is no need to spend a 1st round pick on a player who is going to be a situational run down guy at best for his career.

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

just went over 'bout 30 (March) mock drafts to gauge what the Chargers prospectus looks like atm....

FS * Nasir, Rapp, Deionte, Chauncey, Thornhill, Abrams * prolly the position w/the most mention of prospects at the bottom of the first round.... am a Nasir guy, and Rapp seems like he's gaining ground.... personally would take Chauncey off my board and not overly enamored w/Abrams either, and.... trusting our FO knew what they were doing if they opted for Thornhill ??

OT * Jonah, Jawaan, Dillard, Risner, Little * we all know that a good dozen of first rounders up and bust, and as rule No. 1 is not to bust.... am wary of Greg Little if he were to drop/be available @28.... don't think Jonah/Jawaan is really worth a mention as both should be long gone, and prolly true for Dillard, and would prolly pass on Risner @28, and so.... here's to hoping that Andre (or Yodny) drops.

NT * Dex * he's pretty much the lone mention @nose/1T, and would have no problem w/him as a Charger.

DT * Simmons, Wilkins, Tillery, Dre'Mont * don't think I'd be happy w/Jones this early as prefer someone who can handle run chores as well as apply pressure to the QB, which is why I'd pass on Jerry as well here.... if Wilkins were to drop would welcome his intangibles into the clubhouse, and would take my chances on Jeffery's intangibles if he were to still be on board @28.

LB * Bush, Mack * Wilson was rarely mentioned, and won't be surprised if Devin is off the board to Pitt or otherwise before we pick, and.... would pass on him regardless as like Denzel much better and we already have two WILs and can get another one day three if need be.

ER * Sweat, Jachai, Burns, Ferrell, Jaylon * Ferguson was very productive pass rusher and will likely be as a pro, albeit would pass due to his shortcomings in setting the edge and against the run.... am also wary of Ferrell as he had quite the supporting cast, and doubt that either of Sweat (post Combine) or Burns (despite injury concerns) is still on board, and would pass on either anyways as prefer more well rounded players/run support and as we need push up the middle and not so much from the outside.... would also pass on Jachai, albeit he is clearly the most likely to be there @28 given his Combine malfunction.

OG * Cody Ford, McGary, Lindstrom * darkhorse pick as would prefer Kaleb @60.... don't think Ford is still on the board @28, and not ready for Lindstrom @28 (or pretty much at all).

OC * Erik McCoy, Bradbury * Garrett is another guy that has me wary as a first round flounder.... love me some McCoy something fierce, albeit wonder if he has first round value ??

TE * Fant, Hock, Irv * personally think both Hock (Green Bay) and Fant (Titans) will/should be off the board before 28, and not really excited 'bout Smith, albeit wouldn't mind continuing the Chargers legacy @TE if Fant was still on board.... luxury pick nonetheless.

WR * AJ Brown, Kelvin * coupla few other names got mention here, but not really keen to bother as think these two represent the two safest/bestest picks @the position, and of which might raise some eyebrows in Chargers corners.

CB * Greedy, Trayvon, Justin Layne *not interested in Andraez and outside of the wu dai scouting bureau have nothing much to be excited 'bout Williams, and.... would be tickled pink if Layne was a Charger.... given he pans out and we don't have to spend a first on him.

QB * Dan Jones * huge reach if we were to do that, and.... of course hoping for Jarrett here, or even better if we wait 'til the second for him.
      5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

so in reading over my last post, would half summarize things as we would be fortunate if any of Simmons, Wilkins or Dillard dropped to us @28.

the more likely choice is between Nasir and Dex (two positions we need starters at).

some of you/us might throw in Bush/Mack, and/or McGary/McCoy (positions that we already have starters at) ??

Nasir has questions re: his cover corner skills as exposed @the SB, and Dex has concerns re: his declining production since his freshman go round ??

who you got @28 ??
        Last edited by beachcomber; 03-11-2019, 11:40 PM.
        5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Part of the difference between Sheldon in our D vs NE is the scheme.

NE doesn't play a over/under shifted 43. In that (our) scheme, you break up the responsibilities between the 2 DT positions. NE asks both the DL positions to do everything, with the consequence that they don't necessarily do anything all that well.

The reason the 3 technique player gets to penetrate and make plays is that the NT is the one doing the dirty work. Someone has to play the screens, draws and take on the double teams. You can put a very dynamic player with great quickness at the NT position, but they aren't going to make very many plays, because if they do they will be freelancing and not doing their job.

Obviously, a player like Justin Jones can play some NT. He is not the lightning-quick penetrating DT that is the prototype for the position. I remember TT mentioning that he felt like Jones could play both DT spots when he was drafted. You might not want to do it on obvious running downs but on longish and medium downs.

Shelton isn't the kind of player who puts up stats. He is taking on and defeating blocks, keeping the LB clean. The price has to be right. If you pay a lot of money, then it is a waste. It is nice to have a player like him, just don't overpay to get him. Same with draft picks. It is stupid to draft a run down NT in the 1st round. They don't create the impact plays that change games. But if you can find one at the right price, they can be valuable. SHelton has decent pass rush grades from PFF. It's not that he is a good pass rusher, but he can get some push and drive the OL back into the QB on early downs, when the QB is doing short drops, and just trying to get the ball out quick. He won't get any sacks unless the O screws up, but he can do enough to not be a liability. Then as the down and distance force the O to drop back deeper, and go out of the shotgun, then you either bring in Jones or shift the DE inside, like Bosa and Ingram did against Baltimore.
          Guy managed to have 59 tackles starting in front of Sheldon. Just saying id rather have Mebane back for a year than sign Sheldon. Just don't see Sheldon as a upgrade to him while we draft and groom others.

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
            just went over 'bout 30 (March) mock drafts to gauge what the Chargers prospectus looks like atm....

FS * Nasir, Rapp, Deionte, Chauncey, Thornhill, Abrams * prolly the position w/the most mention of prospects at the bottom of the first round.... am a Nasir guy, and Rapp seems like he's gaining ground.... personally would take Chauncey off my board and not overly enamored w/Abrams either, and.... trusting our FO knew what they were doing if they opted for Thornhill ??

OT * Jonah, Jawaan, Dillard, Risner, Little * we all know that a good dozen of first rounders up and bust, and as rule No. 1 is not to bust.... am wary of Greg Little if he were to drop/be available @28.... don't think Jonah/Jawaan is really worth a mention as both should be long gone, and prolly true for Dillard, and would prolly pass on Risner @28, and so.... here's to hoping that Andre (or Yodny) drops.

NT * Dex * he's pretty much the lone mention @nose/1T, and would have no problem w/him as a Charger.

DT * Simmons, Wilkins, Tillery, Dre'Mont * don't think I'd be happy w/Jones this early as prefer someone who can handle run chores as well as apply pressure to the QB, which is why I'd pass on Jerry as well here.... if Wilkins were to drop would welcome his intangibles into the clubhouse, and would take my chances on Jeffery's intangibles if he were to still be on board @28.

LB * Bush, Mack * Wilson was rarely mentioned, and won't be surprised if Devin is off the board to Pitt or otherwise before we pick, and.... would pass on him regardless as like Denzel much better and we already have two WILs and can get another one day three if need be.

ER * Sweat, Jachai, Burns, Ferrell, Jaylon * Ferguson was very productive pass rusher and will likely be as a pro, albeit would pass due to his shortcomings in setting the edge and against the run.... am also wary of Ferrell as he had quite the supporting cast, and doubt that either of Sweat (post Combine) or Burns (despite injury concerns) is still on board, and would pass on either anyways as prefer more well rounded players/run support and as we need push up the middle and not so much from the outside.... would also pass on Jachai, albeit he is clearly the most likely to be there @28 given his Combine malfunction.

OG * Cody Ford, McGary, Lindstrom * darkhorse pick as would prefer Kaleb @60.... don't think Ford is still on the board @28, and not ready for Lindstrom @28 (or pretty much at all).

OC * Erik McCoy, Bradbury * Garrett is another guy that has me wary as a first round flounder.... love me some McCoy something fierce, albeit wonder if he has first round value ??

TE * Fant, Hock, Irv * personally think both Hock (Green Bay) and Fant (Titans) will/should be off the board before 28, and not really excited 'bout Smith, albeit wouldn't mind continuing the Chargers legacy @TE if Fant was still on board.... luxury pick nonetheless.

WR * AJ Brown, Kelvin * coupla few other names got mention here, but not really keen to bother as think these two represent the two safest/bestest picks @the position, and of which might raise some eyebrows in Chargers corners.

CB * Greedy, Trayvon, Justin Layne *not interested in Andraez and outside of the wu dai scouting bureau have nothing much to be excited 'bout Williams, and.... would be tickled pink if Layne was a Charger.... given he pans out and we don't have to spend a first on him.

QB * Dan Jones * huge reach if we were to do that, and.... of course hoping for Jarrett here, or even better if we wait 'til the second for him.
            Cluster considerations off your list for #28.....

FS - Thornhill, Adderley
            OT - Risner, Williams, Dillard
            DT - Simmons, Wilkins
            LB - Mack
            ER - Sweat, Burns
            TE - Fant
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              So, if you want to sign Dexter, where would you get a DT that can push the pocket and help Bosa and Ingram? Dexter is a solid run stuffer, but he needs a lot of work on technique, and he is not a very good pass rusher.

You can get run stuffers later in the draft, or in FA for a relatively low price. There is no need to spend a 1st round pick on a player who is going to be a situational run down guy at best for his career.
              I'm with you on this point 100% that a wall of stone NT can be found mid/late. Limited role players do not deserve first round grades.
              Lawerence has potential as an interior rusher but needs a ton of development. I have him as about my 60th prospect and would consider him a value at #91.
              My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

1st rounders must have value in the passing game. Just say no to run down DTs.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                  It's not so much "say no" as "don't overpay/overvalue".

I'm not against getting someone to play run down NT, just don't sell the farm to do so. The goal of having a great DL is to help make Bosa and Ingram even more effective. Yes forcing teams to become 1-dimensional does help that, but that can be accomplished in other ways (scoring on offense, stacking the line), and we are already a fairly good run D.

Many of the best teams, playoff teams rank fairly low in terms of run yards allowed. But they are all good against the pass. If you have to pick which area to be good at, the NFL is such a passing league, you HAVE to be good against the pass, and that means rushing the QB.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                    This. If a DT then one who gets after the QB.

Comment

• UglyTruth
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2018
                      • Send PM

Chargers are consistently one of the worst run defenses in the league and have not had a legit NT since Jamal Williams which was more than a decade ago.

I don't see the problem with getting a guy if he's a "sure thing" at stopping the run. Look at the AFC Championship game and see how many rushing yards the Patriots got on with nobodies at RB because that's how bad we are at stopping the run.
                      Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                      - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                      - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                      - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                      - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                      - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                      - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• glutton4Bolts
                        glutton for punishment
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Lake Arrowhead, CA
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post
                        Chargers are consistently one of the worst run defenses in the league and have not had a legit NT since Jamal Williams which was more than a decade ago.

I don't see the problem with getting a guy if he's a "sure thing" at stopping the run. Look at the AFC Championship game and see how many rushing yards the Patriots got on with nobodies at RB because that's how bad we are at stopping the run.
                        Refusing to switch to man in the 1st half and having all of our ILBs and SAMs hurt probably had a bigger negative effect on us stopping the run against the Patriots. Our run D was better last year... but at the end of the season we had few LBs left and had to run out that dime package all the time. I am all for drafting a DT early... but if it is in the 1st round, I agree that he has to be able to penetrate as well as stop the run.

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

the ugly truth....

our run D wasn't so hot without Denzel, and on our lone run to the SB, our run D was near impenetrable.

we went to the SB w/Stan Humphries throwing to some wideouts that were well short of Keenan Allen caliber.

spending draft capital and FA monies on wideouts like Mike and TB in front of fortifying the lines is our achilles heel/albatross and needs to change.

Davis and if perhaps Suh are both front seven guys which is good direction.

hopefully we will get at least one or two lineman day one/two from the draft.

we need a NT and Mebane's stats show that our D is better when he is on the bench.... Shelton can defend the run and pressure the QB.

Comment

Working...
                          X