• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
      Stick is listed at an inch taller than Tua
      just an interesting observation
      Bill Polian:
      I would lose sleep over the injury concerns...then I would go in and watch more Tua tape and end up just drafting him.

Accuracy.
      Footwork.
      Release.
      Vision.
      Field Generalship.
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

OT Jedrick Wills, ‘Bama WRs and some thoughts on the draft

By Colin Lindsay | April 4, 2020
        0 Comment
        Or I could have called it ‘do we have this whole draft thing wrong!’

With dick all going on a couple of nights ago I pulled out some of the old game tapes of this year’s top OL prospects. In particular, I wanted to re-watch Alabama’s Jedrick Wills, who upon further review is indeed a really nice player. Smooth, solid technique, good body control, better quickness than his split time would suggest, excellent awareness, powerful punch. Pretty much the whole package. However, as I watched the Tide tapes, what kept jumping out at was that while the Alabama OL was very good, what made that offense dynamic, and it is very dynamic, was their track team at WR. They just put two guys out on each flank with one going deep and the other running a slant and wherever the safety on that side of the field went they threw to the other guy. The other teams never could match up and you started seeing 6-7 yard slants turned into 60-70 yard TDs on a regular basis as even in the games they lost, the Tide was putting up 40-plus points and likely would have at least made the CFP playoffs if Tua Tagovailoa hadn’t been injured.

Then there’s national champion LSU which was regularly putting 500-plus yards and 50 or more points on the board all season long with a team that featured a great QB throwing to another track team of WRs. LSU, of course, went on to win the national championship this past January defeating Clemson, the other real current power in college football, with a team led by a terrific QB throwing to – wait for it – a track team of WRs. Not to mention, the KC Chiefs who just won this year’s Super Bowl with the NFL’s best QB throwing to arguably the league’s deepest – and fastest – receiver corps. And it occurred to me as I was thinking of this stuff that maybe everyone should be thinking about drafting a track team of receivers.

Which is NOT the point of the piece. What also occurred to me is that while the Chiefs are Super Bowl champs, it is not because they have the fewest holes in their roster, but because they have the arguably NFL’s most dynamic individual unit. And when thinking about the really good teams around the league what one tends to see is that they all have a great QB and almost all have at least one really good unit that they essentially win games with. Obviously, with the Chiefs it is their receiver corps, while it was the defensive line for the 49ers. For others, like Seattle and the Seahawks old ‘legion of boom’ it was the defensive backfield. And so on. As such, it occurred to me that one could make a pretty good case that at the draft rather than attempting to fill holes one should really be thinking in terms of building and maintaining the unit or units that the team want to win with. Of course, teams are still going to want to address areas of weakness, especially any that literally do make winning difficult if not impossible.

The other part of the equation here is that the notion of ‘building through the draft’ really is an antiquated concept. It certainly had relevance before the advent of free agency when you had a player for the duration of his career. In that era you could talk about the proverbial 10-year starter and look elsewhere. With free agency, though, even if you draft well, it is going to cost you an arm and a leg to resign your guys after 4-5 years when their rookie contracts expire. The reality in today’s NFL is that teams are constantly turning their rosters every pretty much every 5 years or so whether they are technically rebuilding or not. In that sense, it is –hopefully – easier to maintain one elite unit, rather than trying to fill holes right across the roster. Of course, you aren’t going to draft just WRs or DEs. You are going to take good players at other positions when they are available; you probably will also want to over-draft ‘other’ positions in later rounds.

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

0 Comment
          Or I could have called it ‘do we have this whole draft thing wrong!’

With dick all going on a couple of nights ago I pulled out some of the old game tapes of this year’s top OL prospects. In particular, I wanted to re-watch Alabama’s Jedrick Wills, who upon further review is indeed a really nice player. Smooth, solid technique, good body control, better quickness than his split time would suggest, excellent awareness, powerful punch. Pretty much the whole package. However, as I watched the Tide tapes, what kept jumping out at was that while the Alabama OL was very good, what made that offense dynamic, and it is very dynamic, was their track team at WR. They just put two guys out on each flank with one going deep and the other running a slant and wherever the safety on that side of the field went they threw to the other guy. The other teams never could match up and you started seeing 6-7 yard slants turned into 60-70 yard TDs on a regular basis as even in the games they lost, the Tide was putting up 40-plus points and likely would have at least made the CFP playoffs if Tua Tagovailoa hadn’t been injured.

Then there’s national champion LSU which was regularly putting 500-plus yards and 50 or more points on the board all season long with a team that featured a great QB throwing to another track team of WRs. LSU, of course, went on to win the national championship this past January defeating Clemson, the other real current power in college football, with a team led by a terrific QB throwing to – wait for it – a track team of WRs. Not to mention, the KC Chiefs who just won this year’s Super Bowl with the NFL’s best QB throwing to arguably the league’s deepest – and fastest – receiver corps. And it occurred to me as I was thinking of this stuff that maybe everyone should be thinking about drafting a track team of receivers.

Which is NOT the point of the piece. What also occurred to me is that while the Chiefs are Super Bowl champs, it is not because they have the fewest holes in their roster, but because they have the arguably NFL’s most dynamic individual unit. And when thinking about the really good teams around the league what one tends to see is that they all have a great QB and almost all have at least one really good unit that they essentially win games with. Obviously, with the Chiefs it is their receiver corps, while it was the defensive line for the 49ers. For others, like Seattle and the Seahawks old ‘legion of boom’ it was the defensive backfield. And so on. As such, it occurred to me that one could make a pretty good case that at the draft rather than attempting to fill holes one should really be thinking in terms of building and maintaining the unit or units that the team want to win with. Of course, teams are still going to want to address areas of weakness, especially any that literally do make winning difficult if not impossible.

The other part of the equation here is that the notion of ‘building through the draft’ really is an antiquated concept. It certainly had relevance before the advent of free agency when you had a player for the duration of his career. In that era you could talk about the proverbial 10-year starter and look elsewhere. With free agency, though, even if you draft well, it is going to cost you an arm and a leg to resign your guys after 4-5 years when their rookie contracts expire. The reality in today’s NFL is that teams are constantly turning their rosters every pretty much every 5 years or so whether they are technically rebuilding or not. In that sense, it is –hopefully – easier to maintain one elite unit, rather than trying to fill holes right across the roster. Of course, you aren’t going to draft just WRs or DEs. You are going to take good players at other positions when they are available; you probably will also want to over-draft ‘other’ positions in later rounds.
          this pretty much sums up my approach for years, build off of strengths, avoid wild goose chases for the perfect roster.
          worked for the LT era (sorta)
          our we should build around Bosa on defense.
          P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
          P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
          P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
          P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• chargeroo
            Fan since 1961
            • Jan 2019
            • Oregon
            • Retired Manager/Pastor
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

0 Comment

It's this last paragraph that says the most about today's NFL.
            It's obvious that each team has to change out about a third of their roster every single year. Remember back in the '60's and '70's when the Chargers literally had OLs that played together for several years? When a team drafted a good OT he was the mainstay of their OL for about the next 10-12 years. That can still happen but that tackle will be making so much that the team will be unable to keep good players at other positions. Thus, the one third turnover of the roster year after year.

One other thought regarding the FA system - these guys make so much money now that we have started to see some very good players "retire" while they are still very good. I think that's a trend that will be growing as time goes by.
            THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Looks like the NFL draft will be like a fantasy draft... no war-rooms.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

A lot of facetiming lol

Comment

• chargeroo
                    Fan since 1961
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Oregon
                    • Retired Manager/Pastor
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Sdfishin
                    rosen would be 2nd or 3rd ranked qb in this draft, why not trade a lower pick like a 4th for him? he was traded for a low 2nd. they can still get simmons, ot and a playmaker on offense while also getting their future qb all in the same draft
                    Rosen? 12 TD - 19 INT
                    Is that what you want?
                    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

It's this last paragraph that says the most about today's NFL.
                      It's obvious that each team has to change out about a third of their roster every single year. Remember back in the '60's and '70's when the Chargers literally had OLs that played together for several years? When a team drafted a good OT he was the mainstay of their OL for about the next 10-12 years. That can still happen but that tackle will be making so much that the team will be unable to keep good players at other positions. Thus, the one third turnover of the roster year after year.

One other thought regarding the FA system - these guys make so much money now that we have started to see some very good players "retire" while they are still very good. I think that's a trend that will be growing as time goes by.
                      Strangely enough, OT's are not tops on the pay scale. QB's dominate the top 20 salaries. Pass rushers are next, followed by WR's. Definitely points to a passing league.

Theoretically, you could maintain an OL for a 9 year period with consistency. If you drafted a 1st round OT once every 4 years... an OT that could play right or left tackle.
                      ex: OT #1: 2000-2004 re-sign 2005-2008
                      OT #2: 2004-2008 re-sign 2009-2012
                      OT #3: 2008-2012 re-sign 2013-2016
                      OT #4: 2012-2016 re-sign 2017-2020

Color codes show that you have some years where you have 3 1st-round OT's on your roster (all for under what you'd pay a franchise QB. Wouldn't be a bad concept to apply to DE, QB, and WR (your other high salary positions). And if you're only paying 1 of each (QB/OT/DE/WR) top money, there should be plenty of money to fill other PON's.

All theoretical of course.

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Rosen? 12 TD - 19 INT
                        Is that what you want?
                        No! He got worse in Miami. If he's not careful he could be out of the NFL in a couple of years. As a player i watched him in Arizona...and yes he is awful with very Timid play.
                        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Found this:

From Wills: “Jalen was a leader since Day 1 … I feel like he was always the guy. Even after Tua went in and did what he did (in the title game against Georgia), and ended up taking the starting job, Jalen was still a leader,” Wills said. “He was still there day in and day out improving his game, trying to be a better quarterback. He never once changed his personality.”

Comment

Working...
                          X