• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
    I remember a lot of very pointed - even cross - statements about how a run stuffing NT was not necessary in today’s NFL. Guess everything cycles, huh.
    Every team can use a big old dude in the middle of the DLine like Jamal Williams. Maybe Linval helps that out. Derrick Brown might also fill that need in the draft. The good thing is - the Chargers can go many ways especially with the 6th pick and it will fill a void.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Every team can use a big old dude in the middle of the DLine like Jamal Williams. Maybe Linval helps that out. Derrick Brown might also fill that need in the draft. The good thing is - the Chargers can go many ways especially with the 6th pick and it will fill a void.
      Solid.

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

I was reading Breers report today and @NFLUpdate tweeted this:

The #Bucs (No. 14), #Broncos (No. 15) and #Falcons (No. 16) have "pointedly" looked at the possibility of trading up in the draft, per @AlbertBreer. Tampa and Denver could be eyeing an OT. Atlanta's target is unclear.

In looking at the trade draft chart: to move down from 6 to 14 would be worth an extra 2nd and 4th or maybe something like Bolts send out 1/5 and get back 1/2/4

If Simmons is gone - and I stay ahead of Denver, I might be okay with this move. Chargers would really have the picks in Rounds 2-4 to build out a roster and add depth at WR, OL, LB, CB and still get QB.
        I don't think the Broncos are targeting OT. They have LT Garrett Bolles (who improved quite a bit last year) and just signed Ja'wuan James at RT. I think Broncos would be after CB Jeff Okudah (should he slip out of top-5).

I do believe that the Falcons and Bucs might be after an OT, though.
        Bucs RT Joe Haeg is a better OG (might replace Alex Cappa) than he is an OT. They could be after Wills or Wirfs.
        Falcons drafted Fluker 2.0 last year in Kaleb McGary. He's a guard and should replace James Carpenter at LG. They could also be after Wills or Wirfs.

For the record, I think the Giants go after Wills or Wirfs. That leaves one natural RT at #6 and beyond. One of those teams will lose out at RT. Maybe the reason both teams see the value of moving up...?

@#6, I'm taking care of business and drafting Andrew Thomas. If I get tricky/greedy, the farthest I move back is #9 (Jaguars). It wouldn't net as much in trade (JAX 3rd rounder and #9 for our #6). But we could still get our LT at #9 (Thomas or Becton). And we would have the opportunity to take a future QB in the 3rd.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

A "run stuffer" like Jamal Williams/Vince Wilfork collapses the OL from the middle, throwing blockers around, picking up additional blocks, flushing the QB & freeing the edge rush while being surprisingly effective cutting off the edge. Linval could use a buddy, eventual replacement like that,

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
            A "run stuffer" like Jamal Williams/Vince Wilfork collapses the OL from the middle, throwing blockers around, picking up additional blocks, flushing the QB & freeing the edge rush while being surprisingly effective cutting off the edge. Linval could use a buddy, eventual replacement like that,
            After more review - I think picking Herbert at 6 is a reach; Tua at 6 - even with size and injury, probably not. Pass on Herbert: Simmons, Okudah, OT, or Brown
            Come back to the bottom of the 1st and get your QB like Hurts at 31.

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

After more review - I think picking Herbert at 6 is a reach; Tua at 6 - even with size and injury, probably not. Pass on Herbert: Simmons, Okudah, OT, or Brown
              Wont even make it that far. I see Jerrah drafting him at #17? Why? It's crazy isn't it? Well Dak at $34 million this year vs. Hurts at $4 million allows jerrah to spend a lot in other areas. If hurts gives ya 90% of Dak I can see Jerrah dumping Dak right after the draft.
              Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I agree with your take that picking Herbert at #6 is a reach, but I think Hurts at #31 is an even bigger reach. In looking at big boards, the highest I see anyone having Hurts valued is as a late second round pick (#56 overall). Multiple big boards do not have him in their top 100 players and a few others have him as a third round value (late 70s in their rankings).

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

It’s funny cuz I see Hurts having the potential to be the best QB from this draft. Me crazy sometimes.

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

It’s funny cuz I see Hurts having the potential to be the best QB from this draft. Me crazy sometimes.
                    He's got that stubbornness quality that a pro needs to shake off bad quarters and still continue to power thru...Not just you but Jerrah Too!
                    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

He's got that stubbornness quality that a pro needs to shake off bad quarters and still continue to power thru...Not just you but Jerrah Too!
                      In other words, Hurts has the "it" quality--the ability to bounce back and win in crunch time...unlike, ahem, SOME QB's who panic in crunch time and sling up the rock into coverage for picks that lose their team games...

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                        Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                        • Feb 2019
                        • McLean Illinois
                        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                        • Send PM

According to rotoworld, we had a virtual meeting with Hurts...you can dare to dream, Blue....
                        Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

I know this much I would rather miss on Hurts - even trading back into the first round at 31 than overdraft and miss on Herbert at 6.

The Chargers can get a player who probably has a higher chance of success than Herbert at 6. I still a little iffy on Telesco so maybe that skews my thinking. (Though this offseason he has been nails!)

Go back some 20 years - got Tomlinson at 5 and Brees at top of second round - maybe a replay of sorts with Simmons and Hurts -

Comment

Working...
                          X