Clear All
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I say 3 because you know one of them won't work out!
    3 of our 7 picks on WRs? Is that a bright idea?
    1-2 and a few UDFAs should be the idea going in.
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• gzubeck
      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
      • Jan 2019
      • Tucson, AZ
      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Yes, because unless Telesco drafts a no miss lineman in the top 15 his success rate is close to zero. Maybe 1 or two developmental projects might be serviceable. He's better at whipping out the checkbook for linemen and Not drafting them unless one falls in his lap that he really likes. And you could draft a WR in the 7th so that we have some kind of claim on him. We always have walk ons. Look at Eke...
      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

I draft pick and 3 UDFAs Sb the idea.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I draft pick and 3 UDFAs Sb the idea.
          Not even close enough. This is the year to draft at least two WR's anything less is just folly.
          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Interesting. Kollman really makes a case for Wills over Wirfs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K-OL21I2xE
            agree that Wills looks good in those pass sets, and.... don't quite know what it is.... just feel uneasy w/the dude.... hope he ends up in South Beach.

thought it was some weak sauce w/the Eric Fisher comparison.... dude has his hands down and took an open shot to his chest from Mack, and whereas despite Wirfs compromised footwork (dude is an underclassman btw), he lands the early punch on the outside shoulder and is def a load for any Dlineman that can't outquick him on an inside stunt.

and the Michigan clip had a blitzing LB than threw Wirfs for a loop, as he was 2 on 1, and while Wills has a monster 65 OG next to him, and a much tighter Oline to work with in comparison to Wirfs.

the clip also didn't factor in Wirfs run blocking and focused just on the pass pro, which personally put a high value on (pass pro), albeit not sure how coach Lynn values the two ??

how much can Wirfs be coached up, and how much are shortcomings from an intrinsic lack of lateral agility ??

just like the dude's (Wirfs) intangibles, and not sure if it's the Fluker/Crimson Tide thing.... just not good w/Wills.
            5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

raw and powerful w/a fair bit of room to improve.... underclassman,

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=voch+lombard+offensive+linemen+2020+draft &&view=detail&mid=DF5374F9FED81E3067DCDF5374F9FED8 1E3067DC&&FORM=VDRVRV
              5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

There is only one beach...

We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

No Thanks....the NFL isnt forgiving when you cant move or have a weak arm.Fromm just dont excite me one iota.
                  Fromm's issue isn't his arm strength. It is his poor mechanics that lead to him not being ready to throw on schedule. When he does things correctly mechanically, he is pretty good. Unfortunately, add in the funky Georgia offense, and it is hard to tell whether he makes bad reads or makes good reads and late throws. Eitehr way, he needs a lot of work to fix him enough to be a NFL QB, so that means a later round pick.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Not even close enough. This is the year to draft at least two WR's anything less is just folly.
                    I guess of course it depends on what they do in FA. But as of today, rather than having a 5th great WR, I would like 1 great QB, 2 good OT, 1 good IDT, 1 good ILB, 1 Every down RB, i more good CB, 1 good OG/C, ... I just passed 7 picks yet without even picking one WR. So lets drop 2 of the needs to fit in one WR. We’ll take WR plus 1 OT, 1 DT, 1 LB, 1 RB, 1 QB, and 1 OG

But to draft 3 WRs we need to neglect two more areas. Which two do you recommend we leave at 2019 level so we can add a 4th and 5th WR in the draft? I’m concerned we already dropped CB and one OT from our target list to just draft 1 WR. BPA is a great theory until we end up with a squad with 10 WRs on it. 3 of 7 picks on WR is a plan to repeat 2019
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

agree that Wills looks good in those pass sets, and.... don't quite know what it is.... just feel uneasy w/the dude.... hope he ends up in South Beach.

thought it was some weak sauce w/the Eric Fisher comparison.... dude has his hands down and took an open shot to his chest from Mack, and whereas despite Wirfs compromised footwork (dude is an underclassman btw), he lands the early punch on the outside shoulder and is def a load for any Dlineman that can't outquick him on an inside stunt.

and the Michigan clip had a blitzing LB than threw Wirfs for a loop, as he was 2 on 1, and while Wills has a monster 65 OG next to him, and a much tighter Oline to work with in comparison to Wirfs.

the clip also didn't factor in Wirfs run blocking and focused just on the pass pro, which personally put a high value on (pass pro), albeit not sure how coach Lynn values the two ??

how much can Wirfs be coached up, and how much are shortcomings from an intrinsic lack of lateral agility ??

just like the dude's (Wirfs) intangibles, and not sure if it's the Fluker/Crimson Tide thing.... just not good w/Wills.
                      I wouldn't complain about getting either. I saw somethings about Wirfs in pass pro a while ago i didn't like....and it had everything to do with what he would encounter as a pro. Fluker was a physical monster and could really move forward well, but he didn't move his feet well when backpedaling and was susceptible to being off balance and bull rushed. I remember seeing Conner Barwin effectively bull rushing big Fluke in his first season because he got him off balance....knocked big Fluke on his ass. Wirfs clearly has a better back pedal than Fluker, but he does suffer from the lead boot syndrome at times. I also commented on how Wirfs drops his arms in pass pro and lets others get their hands on him first....at the college level he can get away with it.

Wills looks like such a polished pass protector, the hands and feet working so beautifully in coordination. Without Rivers, Wirfs might be the better get. What's the point of giving Tyrod Taylor an extra half second to hold onto the football?

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

Wirfs doesn't have a lack of lateral agility. He is using that sort of wonky footwork because it takes away the speed rush to the edge better than a traditional kickslide does. The catch is that, as Kollman points out, the speed rush is not the only thing an OT needs to deal with. If he continues to use this technique, every NFL edge rusher will simply be countering back inside on his rush. IF Wirfs doesn't adjust his footwork, he will give up the sack all day long.

I don't like the example from the video from the Michigan game because of the 2 on 1. If Wirfs had used prefect technique, there would still likely would have been a sack, because they didn't account for the blitzer. This is not a great illustrative example of the bad pass protection, since the unaccounted for blitzer is the bigger issue. However, if the blitzer hadn't been present, Wirfs would likely have given up at least a pressure because he was being beat.

Wirfs has a technique issue with his footwork. The question you have to ask yourself is can it be fixed? A lot of guys coming out of college need to develop/improve their footwork. Typically, NFL teams like to think that more athletic players are, the easier it is for players to learn adjust to the players they face. Wirfs gets away with this technique because most college pass rushers are one trick guys. They have a speed or a power rush, and no inside move. Most NFL rushers (the ones who are any good), ALL have an inside move (or more than 1).

AS far as Wills goes, he is not nearly as athletic as Wirfs is. I don't care what the combine scores are, just watching both play, you can see Wills is not that comfortable in space and vs very athletic players, and Wirfs is. Wills is more of a straight up mauler, while Wirfs is a bit better in space, but both can both move and maul, which is why so many people are drooling at this years OL class.

This is kinda the argument that people had back when Bosa was being drafted. Do you draft Bosa who is the more accomplished rusher and used his hands better, or do you want a faster, more athletic guy? The bigger difference is that I don't see the difference between the players as being as big as when Bosa came out. Wills and Wirfs are very, very close. If we decide to go with one of them, I think it is a win with either of them.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Finally, someone who sees what I see with Wirfs.
                          He says Wills has no flaws, studies his opponents and is smart. Shows how Wills is adept at picking up stunts.
                          It would be refreshing to see a Charger offensive tackle not pee in his pants when the tackle/end stunt comes.
                          So much for how Wills is stupid and can't pick up NFL playbooks.

Thinks Wills is ready to start day 1 and has HOF potential. This guy has an incredibly high floor.

Wills/Okudah/Simmons....and i probably would pick Wills if all three are there.

Comment

Working...
                          X