• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

As much as I think we need to add a top OT, it is worth remembering, that it is filling all/most of the holes along the OL that is the most important. Plenty of teams have gone on to championships without an elite OL, but those teams didn't have any holes along the line. Teams with elite guys are not very good if there is a hole. It is more about adding numbers, than it is about adding elite guys.
    personally am ready to make the first four picks Olinemen…. Wirfs, Ruiz, Wanogho, Saahdiq Charles ?? !!

Wirfs eventually (when Turner holds out for a fatty contract renewal) slides inside to guard and we make due w/a trio of tackles w/Pip, Prince and Saahdiq ??
    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

They are all very strong.
      I would include Becton.
      There could be a run of 6-10 OTs in the first 50.
      Tiers.
      Coach Campen's choice.
      Or even one of his mid round specials.
      beach, I am ready to throw some serious coin at Conklin.
      This is an investment.
      Several others seem like potential wastes of cap room.
      do like Conklin the player, albeit not ready to stomach the mula there.... prefer DT, LB in FA, and perhaps a TE.... (if AL could handle an Ebron that isn't much of a blocking TE ?)

and ready to scratch the both of Wills and Becton off my list of round one considerations.

'nother thing that am wary of the both of 'em are their Combine decisions.... always wary of guys who pass on doing certain drills.

Jedrick passed on the 3 cone, and despite all the hullaballoo for Becton after the 'Bine, all he volunteered for was the forty and bench press.... no thank you/will pass on the cautionary tales.

my head/brain still thinkin' Thomas is the best get @LT, albeit my heart wants what Wirfs brings on and off the field as a Charger.

how do you rank Ruiz and Wanogho ??
      5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

ps. also caught a blurb on PFF lately that commented that Becton had allowed way too many pressures of late, and that Wirfs closed out the season/last seven games w/just one pressure allowed.

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

do like Conklin the player, albeit not ready to stomach the mula there.... prefer DT, LB in FA, and perhaps a TE.... (if AL could handle an Ebron that isn't much of a blocking TE ?)

and ready to scratch the both of Wills and Becton off my list of round one considerations.

'nother thing that am wary of the both of 'em are their Combine decisions.... always wary of guys who pass on doing certain drills.

Jedrick passed on the 3 cone, and despite all the hullaballoo for Becton after the 'Bine, all he volunteered for was the forty and bench press.... no thank you/will pass on the cautionary tales.

my head/brain still thinkin' Thomas is the best get @LT, albeit my heart wants what Wirfs brings on and off the field as a Charger.

how do you rank Ruiz and Wanogho ??
          Becton didn’t participate in more testing because he tweaked his hammy.

INDIANAPOLIS -- Mekhi Becton predicted he would shock people with his NFL Scouting Combineworkout, and he didn't disappoint when he hit the Lucas Oil Stadium turf on Friday for his 40-yard dash.

Becton recorded a 40 time of 5.10 seconds, remarkably fast for the heaviest man at the combine. He also turned in unofficial 10-yard split times of 1.80 and 1.77 seconds, which would be considered average for an offensive lineman of average size, but not one as big as Becton.

He has been going off combine charts all week, starting with a weigh-in upon his arrival. The first-team All-ACC pick measured 6-foot-7 3/8 inches (third-tallest OT), 364 pounds (heaviest), with the fourth-longest arms (35 5/8 inches) and the sixth-biggest wingspan (83 1/4). However, according to NFL Network draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah, Becton weighed in at 357 pounds on Friday morning, a loss of seven pounds since his arrival weigh-in. Players are being re-weighed on the day of their combine workouts for the first time this year.

Following his 40-yard dash performances, NFL Network's Kimberly Jones reported Becton was almost certainly done for the day due to hamstring tightness.

Becton's athleticism is also evident from a spectacular video of him dunking a basketball in high school. Jeremiah sees the massive tackle as the fifth-best player in the draft.
          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Perhaps Simmons can gain a little strength in an NFL program and a year or two of manhood. He’s got extra speed to burn.
            He will almost certainly get stronger, and maybe a bit bigger. However, it's a mistake to try to turn him into a classic NFL LB type body.

Simmons is an elite playmaker because he is fast and athletic. Making him into a muscle bound guy won't help any of those qualities. No player is perfect, we just need to put players around him that compliment him, and that means they do the dirtywork, so he can cover and make plays.

There are also different ways to be a good run defender. Most people seem to think the only way to do it is to be big, physical and to beat the OL at the point of attack. But most NFL LB can't beat an NFL OL, and have to use a combination of speed and quickness to take on the blockers edge, or run plays down from behind. Simmons is pretty much as good as it gets running plays down from behind. And while he isn't great at taking on a shedding blocks, he has spent a lot of time slipping them to make tackles behind the line.

Having Simmons and Derwin would be like back in the day with Jr and Rodney, one on each side. One of the other of them chasing every play down from behind. Derwin is a tough player to try and run away from, and running up the middle would simply allow both to flow in behind.

The only problem is that when you scheme a defense around players, there is a limit to how many guys you can adjust the scheme for and still be fundamentally sound. But that just means we would have to alternate between who gets freed up to make a play. And when an offense sees what we are doing and tries to go away from one of them, they would be forced to go at the other defensive playmaker. Those are tough choices for offenses.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

White 2.0.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

He will almost certainly get stronger, and maybe a bit bigger. However, it's a mistake to try to turn him into a classic NFL LB type body.

Simmons is an elite playmaker because he is fast and athletic. Making him into a muscle bound guy won't help any of those qualities. No player is perfect, we just need to put players around him that compliment him, and that means they do the dirtywork, so he can cover and make plays.

There are also different ways to be a good run defender. Most people seem to think the only way to do it is to be big, physical and to beat the OL at the point of attack. But most NFL LB can't beat an NFL OL, and have to use a combination of speed and quickness to take on the blockers edge, or run plays down from behind. Simmons is pretty much as good as it gets running plays down from behind. And while he isn't great at taking on a shedding blocks, he has spent a lot of time slipping them to make tackles behind the line.

Having Simmons and Derwin would be like back in the day with Jr and Rodney, one on each side. One of the other of them chasing every play down from behind. Derwin is a tough player to try and run away from, and running up the middle would simply allow both to flow in behind.

The only problem is that when you scheme a defense around players, there is a limit to how many guys you can adjust the scheme for and still be fundamentally sound. But that just means we would have to alternate between who gets freed up to make a play. And when an offense sees what we are doing and tries to go away from one of them, they would be forced to go at the other defensive playmaker. Those are tough choices for offenses.
                I dont suggest bulk up him up to 255 where he can’t move. Get him up to 245 and he still might be the fastest LB in the league. we don’t need another great SS, we need a great ILB. Jr is a great example - he didn’t play at 238. He played at 250 and he could take on a TE or OG without getting obliterated. He was an enforcer in the middle but with speed to get to plays. I’ve come around that I think he could bring a great addition to the D - I’d be fine with his pick (other than wtf are we doing at QB).
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• like54ninjas
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Great White North
                  • Draftnik
                  • Send PM

Nagy being spot on......

MikeDub
                  K9
                  Nasir
                  Tillery
                  Parham
                  Reed

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
                    Nagy being spot on......

completely disagree, and am a (big) D. Brown fan, and as.... there is no contest between what Okung meant to the win/loss column vs. the either of Derwin or Joey.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

completely disagree, and am a (big) D. Brown fan, and as.... there is no contest between what Okung meant to the win/loss column vs. the either of Derwin or Joey.
                      “What Okung meant” has nothing to do with a prospect’s talent. Isaiah and Derrick are superior football talents but OT is the traditionally more valued position. I will not have an issues with Thomas or Becton at #6 but if OT is the target and a trade down is possible then that is the smart move.

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

“What Okung meant” has nothing to do with a prospect’s talent. Isaiah and Derrick are superior football talents but OT is the traditionally more valued position. I will not have an issues with Thomas or Becton at #6 but if OT is the target and a trade down is possible then that is the smart move.
                        will disagree again, as not sure how "talent" serves you, unless 'tis unto the win/loss column ??

and as Nagy referred to "bpa" and @least speaking for myself, that is the player that is most going to help my team win.... Simmons nor Brown are that guy this year for our team.

an OT makes the biggest diff in the win/loss column, and again.... @least as far as eye know/reca!! ??

ps. will take the either of Wirfs/Thomas all day over Isaiah/Derrick.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

Another prospect that recently got on my radar.
                          Thakarius Keyes (CB) TULANE - 6’ 1” 200#
                          - long armed press corner with route/ball disruption skills, good speed, excellent agility/COD, physical @LOS, understands route concepts, quality tackler
                          - questionable closing burst, only 2 career INTs, transition footwork needs work
                          - bonus points as he is from Laurel, MS which is where a show my woman and I watch is set. HGTV’s HomeTown ( yes we are old).

MikeDub
                          K9
                          Nasir
                          Tillery
                          Parham
                          Reed

Comment

Working...
                          X