• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Im not sure he’s that inaccurate. How about WF Jamie Newman? Good size/strength (6’4” 230+) with wheels, accurate, strong arm, makes the throws ... he’s not the runner Hurts is but might be a better QB. he’s also hurt right now but its non-throwing shoulder with reports of no structural damage. Where might he fall to?
    Yes, Pacstud is high on Newman, and I have a lot of respect for Pac's take on player personnel...yes, I think Newman is a sleeper, but appears to have all the tools to be a solid QB...Newman doesn't have as much experience as I'd like to see, and he's a junior, but still, the talent is there...will need a year of grooming or so, but a lot to like there...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yes, Pacstud is high on Newman, and I have a lot of respect for Pac's take on player personnel...yes, I think Newman is a sleeper, but appears to have all the tools to be a solid QB...Newman doesn't have as much experience as I'd like to see, and he's a junior, but still, the talent is there...will need a year of grooming or so, but a lot to like there...
      I still have trouble trusting in midget QBs (under 6’2”) for NFL success lol. There’s a few new ones starting out there, maybe they will change my old thinking. This kid is big tough strong arm and runs well enough to make defense respect it. I think the smaller true running QBs are just a hit away from IR.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I didn't take his current health status into account. He would easily be the safest if healthy. Everyone of those guys has question marks. Eason might be the guy (especially behind Rivers) - but his work ethic scares me. Burrows depends too much on tucking the ball and running in big moments - it will get him killed in the NFL.
        I don't see that about Burrow. But really you can say that about Tua,Hurts and any QB who is a scrambler because they don't go thru their progressions much.
        Murray did it too.
        Some plays they are meant for Burrow to run and though he isn't fast he is certainly fast enough to escape.
        Its why he would benefit from sitting for a year with Rivers if we were to draft him. I'd like Burrow to be a pass first QB and run when he has too.

Murray seems to be doing that some this year where Jackson isn't.
        Last edited by Boltjolt; 11-23-2019, 01:59 PM.

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

If we are in the top 10....and this team is playing so bad i could see it, id look at Wirfs or Thomas. Then possibly look at the QB position in the top of the 2nd or back of the 1st. Similar to what Baltimore did with Jackson. Ravens were in the middle of round 2 i think. We may only have to give up a 3rd. And i like Hurts there. A team might bite on next years 3rd thinking it would be higher than this years. Teams would most likely shoot for a 2nd though. Knowing the premium at the QB position. My point is if we are not going after Burrow i stay put and get a stud mauling LT.

Here is Matt Waldman scouting him and another player i like...Trey Sermon prior to the Texas game.

Starts at 8:30 into the podcast. You guys should listen to all of these podcasts. They are solid. And Waldman knows his QBs.

https://www.podcastone.com/episode/W...llege-Football

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

36 carries today for Dobbins. Damn.

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

I think at the start of this season Tua was looking like the #1 pick but now, he looks like a risky pick anywhere in round 1. He has a lot to like but the injuries have hurt his stature.

Burrow has had a fine season and coupled with the injury problem for Tua, I'm guessing he's the number one guy now. I like him a lot, he doesn't have the strongest arm but it's strong enough to make all the throws and he has become a real leader.. He has come up big in big games.

I'm a big Oregon Ducks fan and I've seen all of their games. Herbert is as good prospect.. He's big and has a strong arm. He moves well in the pocket and he can run when it's needed. My question on him centers on accuracy. He has periods of time when he becomes inaccurate. Still, most of the time he's pretty accurate. He's playing behind a good OL but throwing to below average WR's. Overall I'd be pleased if he became a Charger.

Eason is one of those guys that doesn't have a real strong arm but makes the plays anyway, He moves well in the pocket and shows patience. I like him but not in the first round. I think he's somewhat like Alex Smith. He could be a winner at the next level

I'm not sold on Hurts. I don't think he always sees the open man and as a result, he runs when he should be throwing. That's get him some broken bones in the NFL. I sure hope the Bolts don't use a first round pick on him.

I'm just not a fan of Fromm so he'll probably make it big.

I'm not familiar enough with Newman to rate him. I'll try to get a look at him in the next couple of weeks.

One last thing - I still hope we can pick a great prospect at OT, not a QB
              THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                If we are in the top 10....and this team is playing so bad i could see it, id look at Wirfs or Thomas. Then possibly look at the QB position in the top of the 2nd or back of the 1st. Similar to what Baltimore did with Jackson. Ravens were in the middle of round 2 i think. We may only have to give up a 3rd. And i like Hurts there. A team might bite on next years 3rd thinking it would be higher than this years. Teams would most likely shoot for a 2nd though. Knowing the premium at the QB position. My point is if we are not going after Burrow i stay put and get a stud mauling LT.

Here is Matt Waldman scouting him and another player i like...Trey Sermon prior to the Texas game.

Starts at 8:30 into the podcast. You guys should listen to all of these podcasts. They are solid. And Waldman knows his QBs.

Good thinking there, Fleet...hopefully there's a top-shelf OT in round 1 for us, then trade back into the end of round 1 for the QB...pretty deep class of good QB's this year...

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Baltimore looks like it will have a lot of exciting years coming up with Jackson. They took a chance and it paid off big time.
                  Last edited by Formula 21; 11-24-2019, 12:24 AM.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

Murray is a nice LB.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

After the first half tonight, Herbert doesn't look that good again. Mostly throws that travel 3 to 5 yards that the WRs make good RAC on. Anything longer he hasn't been accurate.
                      Burrow is head and shoulders better than Herbert imo.

Hurts is playing ok. Nothing great yet.

Comment

• pacstud
                        Black Belt Poster
                        • Sep 2018
                        • Send PM

There isn’t an elite QB in this class.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV