Oline-Tip of the Spear...
    • Feb 2019
    • McLean Illinois
    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

How about Lamp? Look:

image.png
    If, in fact, this season spirals out of control, and we are out of contention...I think you put Lamp out there. What do you have to lose? Even if you still don't have an answer as to a starter, you can gauge his ability to slide over and fill in.

But we aren't there yet.
    The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

OT

This is not about football, but I am a big proponent of allowing student athletes to make money and be paid for their skills. IMO, the NCAA is stealing from the athletes to fund an organization where everybody makes money except for the athletes who create the value.

Katelyn Ohashi slams NCAA for 'handcuffing' athletes from benefiting from their name

Cassandra Negley,Yahoo Sports 2 hours 8 minutes ago

Katelyn Ohashi once again slammed the NCAA for its likeness rules. (Photo by Timothy Nwachukwu/NCAA Photos via Getty Images) Katelyn Ohashi soared to internet fame this year after her UCLA gymnastics routine went viral. The perfect-10 performance set to pop music and featuring an exuberant Ohashi has been viewed nearly 44 million times on Twitter.
      A former Team USA member, she brought a positive light back to the sport and made media appearances from coast to coast. But the 2019 UCLA graduate didn't make a dime off of any of that. UCLA and mainly the NCAA, though did. When NCAA president Mark Emmert called to congratulate her, she shot back with "You should be thanking me."
      In a video op-ed for the New York Times titled "Everyone Made Money Off My NCAA Career, Except Me", Ohashi said she was "handcuffed" by the NCAA and slammed the organization for its rules.
      "Along with this came a lot of attention and opportunities, but I couldn't capitalize on them. I was handcuffed by the NCAA rules that prevented me from deriving any benefit from my own name and likeness, regardless of the fact that after my final meet, I had no pro league to join.
      "The NCAA is a billion-dollar industry built on the backs of college athletes. How different would things be for me had I been able to use my image and name my last year of school in order to promote the things I want to further my future? I want to make sure the next person doesn't have to wonder."
      The Fair Pay to Play Act in California would change that for athletes down the line and Ohashi was in "The Shop" room with LeBron James when governor Gavin Newsom signed it into law last month. The law allows student-athletes to profit off their own name and likeness. It has drawn support as well as criticism from not only fans, but coaches and leaders in NCAA circles.
      Ohashi clarified some of the misnomers in her piece for the New York Times.
      "It's not about paying salaries to college athletes, it's about empowering student athletes to rightfully earn off their individual name and likeness without sacrificing their opportunity to get an education.
      "It's about making sure if a student-athlete's jersey is still selling in the bookstore 10 years after graduation, they get a cut.
      "It's about recognizing that women only receive 4 percent of coverage in sports media and giving us the freedom to leverage sponsor deals to break through.
      "It's about treating student athletes with the same respect as any other students who can freely profit off their talent as writers, artists, DJs, programmers or scientists while in college."
      Ohashi has one of the strongest perspectives to stand on when arguing for the bill. She shot to fame because of a viral video, one in which she performed a talented act and earned her institution as well as the NCAA money. She performs a sport that doesn't get much broadcast time and generally keeps athletes for all four years of college, a big get for the NCAA. There is no professional league to move into, though she did perform one last time at the Aurora Games this summer.
      She is a woman, which means she automatically receives less attention than her male counterparts. More people watched UCLA gymnastics, and the sport as a entirety, because of her. She became arguably as popular as Simone Biles.
      And she is a fan of poetry, having started writing for herself and launching a website for her and a teammate to share their work. If she weren't an athlete, rather some random student in the senior class, she could have set up a way to monetize it. She could also have released a book while her fame was highest -- a book she put her own work, effort and talent into without the help of the NCAA -- but the NCAA didn't allow it. She still plans to eventually release books, including children's books.
      The Pac-12 argued that the bill will ultimately hurt women athletes, which as Yahoo Sports' Liz Roscher detailed couldn't be farther from the truth. Ohashi's story is exhibit A of that.
      "From experience, allowing an athlete -- especially women or Olympic-sport athletes, who, for the most part, are staying and graduating from NCAA institutions -- to take advantage of unexpected moments like I had empowers us to help finally earn what we deserve."
      The NCAA is unhappy with the law and is expected to challenge it before its set to go into effect in 2023.

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• OhioBolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

First 3 picks for the Chargers 2020 draft 1. LT, 2. Guard 3. Center

Comment

• Silversurfer
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2019
          • Los Angeles
          • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
          Then repeat that for 4th 5th and 6th picks. Tired of seeing this Line getting man handled.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
            We have a lot of holes to fill. CB, D-line, LB....

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

starting RB
              third receiver
              second receiving TE
              backup/starting center

starting and backup NTs (backup via FA ?)
              backup ILB
              SAM/LEO
              CB (via FA ?)

think we're gonna be ok moving forward @OT/OG.... know he wasn't universally applauded, and.... Spencer Pulley's Oline was pretty decent, all things considered.... (always liked his mindset/intangibles)
              5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• OhioBolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                starting RB
                third receiver
                second receiving TE
                backup/starting center

starting and backup NTs (backup via FA ?)
                backup ILB
                SAM/LEO
                CB (via FA ?)

think we're gonna be ok moving forward @OT/OG.... know he wasn't universally applauded, and.... Spencer Pulley's Oline was pretty decent, all things considered.... (always liked his mindset/intangibles)
                Dam sounds like the whole team needs replaced!!!!!

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                  Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                  • Feb 2019
                  • McLean Illinois
                  • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

We have a lot of holes to fill. CB, D-line, LB....
                  We just drafted 2 dlineman, and another is in his second year...got some young LBS too...I don't see them as big needs yet.

We can always use a CB, and a real play making BPA at any position is a good pick...but I see oline being the focus next draft, unless these youngins get crazy good by the end of the season.

And don't forget RB...Gordon comes cheap....or he don't come at all. I think he is gone next year.
                  The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• alex8080
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

hall - cb virginia
                    ehlinger - qb texas
                    vaughn - rb vandy
                    fotu - dl utah
                    jones - ot hou
                    bushman - te byu
                    bpa

for OT (whether LT or RT) - they just need to lock up one of them! so not to worry in future. you have some older guys FA's constanzo,bulaga, d.willaims, conklin. just buy one and develop the other tackle position with scott and pipkins

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

We just drafted 2 dlineman, and another is in his second year...got some young LBS too...I don't see them as big needs yet.

We can always use a CB, and a real play making BPA at any position is a good pick...but I see oline being the focus next draft, unless these youngins get crazy good by the end of the season.

And don't forget RB...Gordon comes cheap....or he don't come at all. I think he is gone next year.
                      I'd agree, and I'd throw in a TE and WR and wouldn't mind another pass rusher.

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by alex8080 View Post
                        for OT (whether LT or RT) - they just need to lock up one of them! so not to worry in future. you have some older guys FA's constanzo,bulaga, d.willaims, conklin. just buy one and develop the other tackle position with scott and pipkins
                        friend of mine recently sent me a text.... "What do Khalil Mack, Danielle Hunter, Von Miller, Brandon Graham & DeMarcus Lawrence have in common besides being very highly paid, allegedly outstanding pass rushers ?"
                        5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

(they all have zero QB hits against Brian Bulaga in 157 pass rush snaps this season)

Comment

Working...
                          X