• Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Yep, sounds like a QB to me.
    I think Telesco will draft a QB but it might be a trade back into Rd1 or top of Rd 2. But if he thinks Herbert or Tua at 6 can be "the guy" - don't hesitate to draft him.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Silversurfer View Post
      From Mr. Telesco himself. I think we will be drafting our future QB this year for sure now.

"Well Cam, like every player that becomes available, we always talk about things internally, but like I said before, we're very confident in Tyrod Taylor to run our offense the way we want it to run. We'll always monitor what's available out in free agency and on the street, but right now it's really 100 percent draft-focused, and obviously with the logistics going on with this draft this year from home, it's taking us a little extra time and work.
      I don't read anything into this other than he is 100 percent focused on the draft.

If you take it at face value, then they will not draft a qb (they are set with Tyrod). If you don't read it at face value, it will be either a qb in the draft or someone else.

My guess is that things are fluid with Telesco in the qb situation. If he loves both Tua/Herbert, then it will be a qb (provided one makes it to #6) - no doubt.

If not, they won't over draft a qb and they'll stick with Tyrod, or make overtures to Cam and see what his asking price is. They could of course draft a qb on the 2nd - 3rd day and give him time to develop and learn.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I am good with this again as long as the research has been done. Herbert seems like a very strong prospect - not sure if Allen from two years ago is a good comp or not. This guy from NFL.com compares him to WEntz - which is pretty good. Have seen comparisons to Tannehill but a stronger arm.

All Combine and Draft-Related Analysis, News, Video, and Biographical Information for Justin Herbert

I am fine if the pick is Herbert
        I think the comparison to Wentz is pretty good. I think i like Wentz's pocket movement a bit more.
        I've heard that some GMs prefer Herbert over Tua.

Wentz went before Bosa, Ramsey, Ezekiel Elliot & Stanley.

It gets me thinking Herbert might very well not be available at pick #6.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I think the comparison to Wentz is pretty good. I think i like Wentz's pocket movement a bit more.
          I've heard that some GMs prefer Herbert over Tua.

Wentz went before Bosa, Ramsey, Ezekiel Elliot & Stanley.

It gets me thinking Herbert might very well not be available at pick #6.
          a quality starting QB has to be worth 2, 3, maybe 4 starting position players. The only reason Herbert might be there is Burrow, Chase and Tua. 3rd QB often lasts to pick6. but not if someone sees him as the next Wentz and has ammo to jump ahead of us. jmo.

i'd rather take Herbert than Tua. could be 100% wrong ... thats ok.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
            Chargers Hall of Fame
            • Sep 2019
            • Send PM

I'm at a point where I feel like all the other top prospects in the first round are all head-and-shoulders above any QB we'd be taking at #6. I'm so bummed that we'll probably take one of those QBs.

Our recent first round offensive player picks tend to:

Take a dump their first season with us:
            Williams = 0 TDs
            Gordon = 0 TDs

OR they become mediocre:
            DJ Fluker
            Ryan Mathews

Or they do both:
            Craig Davis

Let's get Simmons, Okadah, or Brown and go from there. Keep ramping up our defensive potential!

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

don't think DeShone Kizer is gonna preclude team MikeyJohn from drafting a QB.... in fact it might be incentive to do just the such, and.... the Raiders have the capital (two firsts and their lowest third) to move up to 3 (easily), and.... if I knew I could trade down w/Miami and still get AT @18 and then follow that up w/the either of Ruiz or Swift.... in a heartbeat !!

would also volunteer that the both of Tua and Herb will still be on the board @6, and if team TommyJohn is the wiser for it, they will.... pass on the both of 'em (and Mr. Love too !!)

and don't think Cam would cost much more than $5m/year.... plus incentives.... he has too much to gain by coming to LA to not take a (very) reasonable contract here.
              5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

just did a mock for my GBay friend, and realized that eye do have a method for putting together a mock....

pretty much go over the depth chart and pencil in our needs.... WR, OC, LG, QB, RB (2), NT, MLB, LCB

and then eye go thru each position and see which guys I think line up as the best Charger....

006) LG Wirfs
                037) OC Ruiz, RB Swift * do eye take Tristan @6 or trade down w/Miami to select both an OC 'n an RB round one ??
                037) OT Prince Tega Wanogho * if eye did trade down and took the both of the aforementioned round one, would go PTW @37 then
                071) CB Dantzler * not my guy, but the one who came up w/this method
                112) NT Leki Fotu
                151) MLB Evan Weaver
                186) SR Aaron Fuller
                220) WR Quez Watkins * think he beats out Jennings cuz Quez is a producer !!

UDFA) RB Benny LeMay, QB Riley Neal * still signing Cam and relegating someone to the ps
                5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

a quality starting QB has to be worth 2, 3, maybe 4 starting position players. The only reason Herbert might be there is Burrow, Chase and Tua. 3rd QB often lasts to pick6. but not if someone sees him as the next Wentz and has ammo to jump ahead of us. jmo.

I have zero idea if this translates on the field but Herbert is a very good student. And it seems that being smart as a QB is a positive trait. I am good if the pick is Herbert or Tua at 6 because I think they are not reaches. Love at 6 would be a reach and I don't think Telesco has the "gonads" to make that move.

There are a lot of good players at 6 - Chargers can only get one. Simmons, Okudah, an OT, or QB.

Comment

• otto_telfser
                    Chargers Fan from Brasil
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Just so you guys know, PFF released their Draft Simulator
                    It's pretty fun, and much more realistic then other engines (I've run it several times and never had Burrow or Tua available at 6)

PFF’s customizable mock draft simulator gives you the opportunity to be the GM for any team in the 2025 NFL Draft. In addition to picking draft prospects, you can also offer and make trades with the simulated teams.

It also gives grades (taking positional value into account) to picks, trades, and overall Draft.

You guys should try it =]

draftsim.png draftsim2.png
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by otto_telfser; 04-08-2020, 11:13 AM.

Comment

• Charge!
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I have zero idea if this translates on the field but Herbert is a very good student. And it seems that being smart as a QB is a positive trait. I am good if the pick is Herbert or Tua at 6 because I think they are not reaches. Love at 6 would be a reach and I don't think Telesco has the "gonads" to make that move.

There are a lot of good players at 6 - Chargers can only get one. Simmons, Okudah, an OT, or QB.
                      Hebert and love belong in second round or beyond, but they will be taken in first round for the 5 year contract and because teams are desperate.......

Burrow and Tua are clearly ELITE passing QB's with mobility, smart decision making, great instincts, great leadership skills, lightning quick releases, and consistently pinpoint accuracy!......... those are the qualities that make a great QB...... NONE of the other QB's in this draft have those qualities.....

Almost every year there are at least one or more big, strong rocket armed QB's who look great at the combine and against bad competition, but usually suck really badly in NFL...... guys who had no touch and accuracy in college never suddenly become accurate in the pros...... Elway has been wasting pick after pick in middle to late first round looking for another copy of himself, but every one of those big strong guys has sucked..... jury is still out on the latest project...... that is what happens when you dont draft high enough to get the best QB in draft.....

There is no such thing as a developmental QB who had major flaws like inconsistent accuracy in college ever becoming anything in the pros....... shortness is the only real flaw that can be overcome by other factors......

if we just look art highlight films, hebert looks like the next GOAT......... but if we watch entire games and see all the missed throws.....bad decisions, slow release, lack of touch and other flaws..... he looks like the next big flop......

Here's to hoping that MIA and CIN think Hebert is the best QB out there because he has the strongest arm....... lots of people love the cannon arm...... the biggest swings and misses at QB are usually the cannon armed guys........

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

Hebert and love belong in second round or beyond, but they will be taken in first round for the 5 year contract and because teams are desperate.......

Burrow and Tua are clearly ELITE passing QB's with mobility, smart decision making, great instincts, great leadership skills, lightning quick releases, and consistently pinpoint accuracy!......... those are the qualities that make a great QB...... NONE of the other QB's in this draft have those qualities.....

Almost every year there are at least one or more big, strong rocket armed QB's who look great at the combine and against bad competition, but usually suck really badly in NFL...... guys who had no touch and accuracy in college never suddenly become accurate in the pros...... Elway has been wasting pick after pick in middle to late first round looking for another copy of himself, but every one of those big strong guys has sucked..... jury is still out on the latest project...... that is what happens when you dont draft high enough to get the best QB in draft.....

There is no such thing as a developmental QB who had major flaws like inconsistent accuracy in college ever becoming anything in the pros....... shortness is the only real flaw that can be overcome by other factors......

if we just look art highlight films, hebert looks like the next GOAT......... but if we watch entire games and see all the missed throws.....bad decisions, slow release, lack of touch and other flaws..... he looks like the next big flop......

Here's to hoping that MIA and CIN think Hebert is the best QB out there because he has the strongest arm....... lots of people love the cannon arm...... the biggest swings and misses at QB are usually the cannon armed guys........
                        I personally would pass on Herbert - I am just trying to talk myself into him. Tua is fine at 6

My choice would be Simmons or OT; maybe Okudah and try to figure out how to get QB at the end of R1.. Thats why if the jags want to move up to 6 AND Simmons is gone - trade back to 9, get yoru third so you can take 37 and a third and maybe move back to the end of R1 for your QB and still get OT at 9 in the first round.

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I'd agree. But does your quality QB have to be a 1st rounder...? More importantly, can your 1st round QB be a quality player without a quality LT...? Let's look @ Rivers and Okung during the last 4 year span...

2016: No Okung. PR: 87.9 QB rating and Chargers go 5-11.
                          2017: With Okung. PR: 96.0 QB rating and Chargers go 9-7.
                          2018: With Okung. PR: 105.5 QB rating and Chargers go 12-4.
                          2019: No/Hurt Okung. PR: 88.5 QB rating and Chargers back to 5-11.

A QB may be worth 2 or 3 positions. But without a LT, your QB may not be worth much.

Everybody is obsessed with a QB... and I get that. But there are 2 very important points that everyone is ignoring.
                          1) Anthony Lynn wants to run the ball. They did that in 2018 and went 12-4.
                          2) Anthony believes he can run his offense with Tyrod Taylor. Certainly, this may be coach-speak. But Lynn has been saying this since PR left. And AL was on coaching staff at Buffalo when Tyrod got his only chance to start at QB. Also consider that the Chargers (maybe via advice of AL) took a long look at Geno Smith (2nd rounder) and Cardale Jones (4th rounder). Tyrod is a 6th rounder himself.

Meanwhile, AL (as an assistant for BUF, NYJ, CLE, DAL) had Cordy Glen, D'Brickshaw Ferguson, Joe Thomas, and Flozell Adams as those team's LT's... let's hope he was paying attention... let's hope Telesco is listening...

Andrew Thomas, please!
                          Last edited by Boltnut; 04-08-2020, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X