First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boltjolt
    replied
    Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
    LOL. TT says we want a HC, not an OC or DC. That narrows it down to Meyer or Garrett.

Aw-huh.
    Actually he didn't say that.

He was asked if they were looking for a coach who has been a HC before because Lynn only coached one interim game and TT said "I don't think so".
    "​​​​​​We are going to be open minded, wide net. Of course the guys we talk to will have have expertise in one area but we will talk football in depth with these guys and go thru the process"

"Not leaning one way or the other. If you look at our conference, 6 of the 7 teams in the playoffs are first time HCs. We are just gonna try and find the right guy"
    Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-06-2021, 11:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 21&500
    replied
    Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
    LOL. TT says we want a HC, not an OC or DC. That narrows it down to Meyer or Garrett.

Aw-huh.
    Ya that stuck out to me too
    perhaps not literally but some of these guys are so damn green you can essentially cross them out
    Meyer has got to be target number one
    and if so, I feel great about our chances even over tha jags
    with us, Meyer can win NOW
    this is the big move fellas, embrace it because we sure have collectively been bitching about micky mouse candidates for a while now
    embrace the culture change, don’t get caught up in the fears and what-ifs
    Meyer is a foodball genius and a master motivator
    in Bosa he has his defensive “white knight”
    Herbert will be elite with joe schmo
    he will build the lines (trencher heaven) and will leave our franchise a champion before he leaves
    very little doubt about that.

Leave a comment:

• SuperCharged
    replied
    So being from Utah and a Utes fan, Urban did a great job with Alex Smith. I really feel his offense is suited for the college game. Not the pro's. Aka Chip Kelly. I'm just not feelin it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I understand your point and it is very valid about the success of college to the pro's. Just because Jimmy Johnson did it - doesn't mean Urban Meyer will. I do think having been a HC at Bowling Green and Utah in addition to Florida and Ohio State helps his resume in my eyes. But yes, you have a fair point

I know this - based on Chargers history - experience as a head coach seems to matter in terms of success.

And if the Chargers had more success with less experienced coaches - maybe I would find Smith, Brady, Staley more appealing, even Saleh to a degree. But for the Chargers, history shows what it shows. The records of coaches speak for themselves

I am good with Daboll though for sure. Or Harbaugh. I think with Harbaugh and the right strategic moves this offseason (OL, DL, Special TEams) - this is an 11-12 win team.
    I think we are an 11-12 win team right now, but we were coached poorly this season. I think we could go out and beat teams like CLE, PIT and TEN right now if we were not coached to lose. We absolutely should have beaten TB, NO and KC in the first game with them. I think we probably should beaten BUF too, but that game would have been close had we not had lessons in coaching by Anthony Lynn. Those are all 11+ win playoff teams.

Leave a comment:

• wu-dai clan
    replied

Aw-huh.

Leave a comment:

• 21&500
    replied
    Hiring Urban Meyer would mean he is taking over EVERYTHING
    GM duties AND Football ops
    basically what everyone been wanting for the past forever years.
    dream come true.

Leave a comment:

• Heatmiser
    replied
    The article below is from Albert Breer of SI. This is what appeals to me about Meyer. He would finally make the changes that the Chargers need to stop all these injuries, keep non football people out of football, win one score games, and build a strong organization. Other than the money this would take, the other issue is Telesco. A lot of what Meyer will want to/need to change is stuff that Telesco is in charge of. And I am sure that Telesco thinks that if just a few things are tweaked an everything else is left alone, that will be enough. That may kill this happening. To me, why waste time on another slightly better coach than Lynn or take a big swing on an unproven but high potential hot coordinator. Go for it, pay the money and make the real changes you need. And although I do have concerns about Meyer’s longevity whether it be due to boredom, health, or the NFL vs college, he will build a strong and sustainable organization and he picks outstanding assistants (Day and Herman are two recent and relevant examples and there are more)

Everyone and I mean everyone else on the Charger list of candidates is just going to come in and work within the organization as it stands and hope for the best. Meyer is the only one on the list with the chops and the skill to really be transformative. McDaniels would be the only other one who would do this or try to do it. But he is not on the list and I really cannot stand him. But I do think he is smart enough to know that he can’t just keep status quo here and win big.

TG

From #1 OVERALL PICK ENERGY #16 (@CoachHesterWFP): Is Urban Meyer the only real candidate Shad Khan wants until he passes?

All right, No. 1 overall pick, since we put you on the Urban Meyer–Jaguars trail almost a month ago now, I can give you some more background. There’s been some level of communication between Meyer and the Jaguars, through intermediaries and directly, for close to a month, if not longer. And I believe the job is Meyer’s if he wants it, and I think getting him would be a steal.

The Jaguars need a housecleaning the same way the Bills did before Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott performed one (and did so very successfully). This can’t be about changing out a couple of people. This has to be an overall reimagination of the organization—EVP Tom Coughlin tried to make this happen, and there was progress for a year before that effort stalled out. To do that, I believe they need someone who’ll come in with holistic ideas.

That is Meyer, and that’s why I think this makes sense. With the former Florida and Ohio State coach, the transformation would involve more than assistants. It’d be strength coaches and player development staff and nutritionists—really, he’d be bringing in a program more than a staff. So I believe he’d need, more than just a certain salary, a budget to overhaul much of the organization, in the same sort of way he did in Gainesville and Columbus.

In-depth analysis, unrivaled access. Get SPORTS ILLUSTRATED's best stories every weekday. Sign up now.
    1:14/1:21

Bottom line, if you’re looking at this hire just from a, “Well, what kind of offense is he going to run?” perspective, you’re missing the forest for the trees. And for these reasons, and because I’m told he’s already looked at potential staffing on that level, which reflects a plan to do all of this, I think he’s what Jacksonville needs.

Will he do it? I don’t know. The consideration of his health is real. I’ve heard he loves his job at Fox and has found competition in it. But I do think it’d be hard for him to say no to a chance to coach Trevor Lawrence in a place with all those picks (multiple in the first, second, fourth, fifth and seventh rounds) and cap space (most in the NFL for 2021), and where, as a bonus, he can restore his legacy after his departure from Florida rubbed people there the wrong way.
    Last edited by Heatmiser; 01-06-2021, 07:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Boltjolt
    replied
    Originally posted by richpjr View Post

It is correct. And he tried to buy the Chargers but was turned down.
    By who? Klein or the NFL?

Leave a comment:

• richpjr
    replied
    Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post

I don't know if that would be been better or not. They'd still be in San Diego I bet.
    We'd be in San Diego in a new stadium, but Jerry's record with the team is pretty bad aside from the brief time he had Jimmy running things.

Leave a comment:

• JOJAX85
    replied
    Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I don't know if that would be been better or not. They'd still be in San Diego I bet.

Leave a comment:

• richpjr
    replied
    Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post

Pretty sure that's right

Leave a comment:

• JOJAX85
    replied
    Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
    I cannot remember. Where did Jerry Jones make his money again? Oil?

TG
    Pretty sure that's right

Leave a comment:

Working...
X